Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Moving On After Heartbreak - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Moving On After Heartbreak (2652 Views)

How To Re-package Yourself After Heartbreak / Men Are Not Naturaly Cheat,they Love Ones,n Take A Bow After Heartbreak / Love Again After Heartbreak? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving On After Heartbreak by MyneWhite1(f): 5:18am On Oct 14, 2010
It was Gloria Gaynor who first sang the song “I will Survive” about ended relationships, heart break and how the lady got over it and moved on. This article will also deal with surviving a negative experience in a relationship and the issue of moving on. This is a topic close to my heart because I have witnessed a lot of people who have found it difficult to come into a new life after such an experience. In my book, A Heart to Mend, I wrote about characters who overcame their pasts of adversity to blossom again in love.

I am your quintessential romantic but I do know that love and relationships sometimes are not forever. Some of us have suffered heartbreak. It can hurt as hell; we think our hearts are literally broken and seeping blood into our chest. We feel small, wounded, beaten and left to die. But the truth is that we get over it. It may take some time, it may take some strong words, it may take physical or mental breakdown but in the end, we will overcome. The lady in the song, we will look our heartbreakers in the face and tell them to go eat s**t. We will rave, we will cry, we will weep and mourn the dead relationship. But if we tap into the strength inside each of us, we will recognize when it is time to move on.

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross in her book, On death and Dying, listed five stages of grief and loss; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Losing a relationship is a bit like losing someone to death. Most people go through similar cycles and stages as they make their way back to a place of balance for them. They deny that the breakup ever happened; they do not let others know. They boil with anger towards the ex, maintaining that there is no break-up or acting like there wasn’t. They refuse to move out if they were living together; and then begin to give reasons to remain in the relationship.

Even when separation is complete, they still find themselves cooking enough for two, speaking to an empty house, just depressed. Painful right? I agree. It is difficult to think of new beginnings at this point but it is possible. My friend tells of her experience,

“In two months, it will be a year since I broke up with my former fiancé. I have since realized that moving on is a continuous exercise just like the tense. It's a lot of on-going hard work. "Moved on" is the goal towards which I am working. Each day I am preparing and inching closer to it when I affirm myself and do things that move me towards the goal. Saying I've moved on does not necessarily make it so. In addition, there is no need for me to flog myself when I feel down because as long as I keep working on it, I will get there. I’m just glad that I’m at the stage where I know myself better.

I have begun to look outwards and forwards. When I make decisions, I think about the type of person I am and who I want to be. I ask myself what type of person I need to be in order to ensure that I am ready for the next stage of my life, possibly with another man. Yes I can think about that now. I invest more in myself and I take care of myself a lot more too nowadays. I know that no amount of denial, bargaining, anger or depression is going to recover my broken relationship. I have accepted that heartbreak as a part of life. It's not good or bad, it is just how it is.

So I have decided to keep moving on, to find joy in my life and to bring joy to others. I am dating another guy. It cannot say how long it will last but I really like him and I know he likes me too. I’m taking it a day at a time. The most important thing is; I have survived. I am moving on, I am fine.”

About the Author

Award winning Myne Whitman published her first novel, A Heart to Mend, in December 2009. The Nigerian author is a popular blogger and also writes for BellaNaija, Afrikan Goddess, Femme Lounge, and other online publications.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Mend-Myne-Whitman/dp/1449047505/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by slap1(m): 1:54pm On Oct 14, 2010
Me likey! These NL girls won't see this. When 190 and Mr Cork breaks their heart they'd look for a rope.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by iice(f): 3:07pm On Oct 14, 2010
I tend to skip the stages and move straight to acceptance.  It's the only logical direction.
Nice write up
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by MyneWhite1(f): 6:15pm On Oct 14, 2010
iice:

I tend to skip the stages and move straight to acceptance.  It's the only logical direction.
Nice write up

Sometimes, love and heartbreak are totally illogical, lol, We want to believe it will not happen.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by MOBO444(f): 6:17pm On Oct 14, 2010
@ Poster you welcome, lets hope we learn a lot from you.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by bigtin(m): 6:38pm On Oct 14, 2010
luv n hrtbrk are natural tins. it is importnt dat dey ocur so we cn learn 4rm dem. but movin-on is d most dificult pat. because ur soul n spirit has bin grievd cosin an emotional brkdwn. d strange pat is dat u must move on (only den can a broken hrt start d healin process) or b destoryd by ur past. hrtbrks tel u dat d best is yet 2com so, try n put urself 2gather.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by ShyOne(f): 7:02pm On Oct 14, 2010
@ Poster - Thank you for what you wrote.

My husband died a young man in 2009 after a one year devastating illness. I did NOT WANT TO LIVE - I loved him SO MUCH - I thought life was over for me. I lost interest in eating, every single thing - I slept for 10 hours straight - I would go to sleep - it was dark; I would wake up it was dark again. I cried constantly. Didn't care who I was, where I was. I wanted to die with him and I turned away from everyone including God. The thought of dating or allowing another man into my life wasn't even an option and I never tried to do this, not even on a friendship level.

For the sake of survival - I turned to God. For the sake of my family - who would grieve me and who needed me to GET IT TOGETHER - I did it for them - NOT FOR ME.

Then J (MY MAN) showed up for me and I resisted him for quite a while. I met him on the internet. I NEEDED HIM to do just what he did - had I met him in person - we wouldn't even be dating now. He very slowly gave me space and just talked casually, slowly - pulling me out of my self-inflicted shell that was created by my loss.

You know, in the end you have to learn to love your relationship with a being outside of "a human". So I cultivated a relationship with God that I truly love - because what if something happens to "My Current Love?". It is soo important that I have a relationship with God because people will come and people will go. This I have learned - a VERY HARD LIFE LESSON for me. What if J and I don't marry as we plan to do? Then I am by myself again.

I love God so deeply and I now trust that God will never leave me and will put people in my life throughout my life that I can turn to, I can talk to, I can love and I can be loved by one that God has provided for me.

Poster thank you for this - your article.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by sugarpp: 7:04pm On Oct 14, 2010
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by iice(f): 3:54am On Oct 15, 2010
Myne White:

Sometimes, love and heartbreak are totally illogical, lol, We want to believe it will not happen.

Wrong. Love and heartbreak are not illogical. People are the illogical ones. The expression/characterization of love and heartbreak are the reflection of the people themselves and not of love and heartbreak. Thus those who say love is wicked are recipients of the actions/characters of people who broke their heart and not of love itself.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by biola44: 4:00am On Oct 15, 2010
wat is a brokenheart like,
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by MyneWhite1(f): 6:19am On Oct 15, 2010
Thank you for sharing your story Shy one. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope it works out for you and J. But like you said, God's love is the only constant.

Shy-One:

@ Poster - Thank you for what you wrote.

My husband died a young man in 2009 after a one year devastating illness. I did NOT WANT TO LIVE - I loved him SO MUCH - I thought life was over for me. I lost interest in eating, every single thing - I slept for 10 hours straight - I would go to sleep - it was dark; I would wake up it was dark again. I cried constantly. Didn't care who I was, where I was. I wanted to die with him and I turned away from everyone including God. The thought of dating or allowing another man into my life wasn't even an option and I never tried to do this, not even on a friendship level.

For the sake of survival - I turned to God. For the sake of my family - who would grieve me and who needed me to GET IT TOGETHER - I did it for them - NOT FOR ME.

Then J (MY MAN) showed up for me and I resisted him for quite a while. I met him on the internet. I NEEDED HIM to do just what he did - had I met him in person - we wouldn't even be dating now. He very slowly gave me space and just talked casually, slowly - pulling me out of my self-inflicted shell that was created by my loss.

You know, in the end you have to learn to love your relationship with a being outside of "a human". So I cultivated a relationship with God that I truly love - because what if something happens to "My Current Love?". It is soo important that I have a relationship with God because people will come and people will go. This I have learned - a VERY HARD LIFE LESSON for me. What if J and I don't marry as we plan to do? Then I am by myself again.

I love God so deeply and I now trust that God will never leave me and will put people in my life throughout my life that I can turn to, I can talk to, I can love and I can be loved by one that God has provided for me.

Poster thank you for this - your article.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by MyneWhite1(f): 6:21am On Oct 15, 2010
I guess that's another way of looking at it iice. But how would you define love outside of the humans who feel it?

iice:

Wrong. Love and heartbreak are not illogical. People are the illogical ones. The expression/characterization of love and heartbreak are the reflection of the people themselves and not of love and heartbreak. Thus those who say love is wicked are recipients of the actions/characters of people who broke their heart and not of love itself.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by Tinksh(f): 6:31am On Oct 15, 2010
Thank you so much poster, i will re read this as i need to. I am experiencing it right now and i absoutely cant wait til i am back to myself. Some days i am skipping around pretending that i am happy its over then days like today i can barely breath and feels like life is closing in on me. I loved him so much and we planned a wonderful future but circumstances that he chose changed everything. Some days i feel bullet proof and some days i can barely lift my head, today is one of those days. I want this whole in my spirit to heal now!!! Anyway thanks so much for posting those words.

1 Like

Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by Okijajuju1(m): 6:32am On Oct 15, 2010
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by iice(f): 6:56am On Oct 15, 2010
Myne White:

I guess that's another way of looking at it iice. But how would you define love outside of the humans who feel it?

It's just a concept.  We give it life, twist it whatever way we want or in rare cases make it bloom as the concept should be.  Though i think people it's perfect, i think by it being a little flawed, it's perfect undecided Even when i'm heartbroken [s]like when Snyder took the job to redo Superman[/s] grin, i think that heartbreak adds a little something to ones character. It's all the person's decision if he/she wants the effect to be good or bad. Well all have our processes on how we move on, but during the process, you learn something about yourself in most cases i hope.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by MyneWhite1(f): 7:09am On Oct 15, 2010
You'll be fine Tink, just make those bullet proof days last for longer and they'll stretch into each other. I wish you the best. HUGS

Tink_sh:

Thank you so much poster, i will re read this as i need to. I am experiencing it right now and i absoutely cant wait til i am back to myself. Some days i am skipping around pretending that i am happy its over then days like today i can barely breath and feels like life is closing in on me. I loved him so much and we planned a wonderful future but circumstances that he chose changed everything. Some days i feel bullet proof and some days i can barely lift my head, today is one of those days. I want this whole in my spirit to heal now!!! Anyway thanks so much for posting those words.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by MyneWhite1(f): 7:10am On Oct 15, 2010
The part below I actually agree totally with. heartbreak is not wanted or even expected but that does not mean it is all bad. However, the lessons from it can only be learned after one has moved on.

iice:

, i think that heartbreak adds a little something to ones character. It's all the person's decision if he/she wants the effect to be good or bad. Well all have our processes on how we move on, but during the process, you learn something about yourself in most cases i hope.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by Tinksh(f): 1:20pm On Oct 15, 2010
Myne White:

You'll be fine Tink, just make those bullet proof days last for longer and they'll stretch into each other. I wish you the best. HUGS

Thank you for the encouragement. I am trying my best to see the positive. There is no way it could work, thats the reality. I was just hoping for a miracle but as you said hopefully i will take something good from it. Tomorrow will be a better day. smiley I hope your new relationship will bring you much joy.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by MyneWhite1(f): 3:57pm On Oct 15, 2010
Thank you so much! smiley

Tink_sh:

Thank you for the encouragement. I am trying my best to see the positive. There is no way it could work, thats the reality. I was just hoping for a miracle but as you said hopefully i will take something good from it. Tomorrow will be a better day. smiley I hope your new relationship will bring you much joy.
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by MyneWhite1(f): 5:36am On Oct 16, 2010
Okija_juju:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

meaning? embarassed
Re: Moving On After Heartbreak by Ukprosper: 6:54pm On Mar 14, 2020

(1) (Reply)

What They Wear Put Us Into Trouble Some Times / 10 Straight To Point Ways To Make Your Relationship Better(women) / Guys Only! Has This Happened To You Before?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.