|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,799,604 members, 6,690,670 topics. Date: Tuesday, 25 January 2022 at 12:51 AM
|Health Benefits Of Eating Garden Egg by Omaricha002(m): 5:54pm On Jul 24, 2019|
HEALTH BENEFITS OF EATING GARDEN EGG
Garden Egg: Also called Obe-Igba by the Yorubas and afufa or anyara by the Igbos, Solanum melongena or garden egg as we know it is a highly valued vegetable and constituent of the African food.
A member of the aubergine family, garden eggs comes in different colours (pink, white, yellow, green, black, sometimes striped), shapes and sizes.
Culturally, the garden egg is said to represent fertility and blessing – this explains why it is common to find it being served during wedding ceremonies in some communities across the African continent.
Garden egg and peanut butter
Garden egg is generally said not to contain a huge amount of protein and other nutrients, but it is very rich in dietary fibre, copper and thiamin (vitamin B1) and potassium, a necessary salt that helps in maintaining the function of the heart and regulates blood pressure. It is also a good source of vitamin B6, folate, magnesium and niacin. Garden egg also contains phytonutrients such as nasunin and chlorogenic acid.
The nutrient contained in every 100 grams of this wonderful nature’s gift is as follows:
Sugars 3.53 g
Dietary fibre 3 g
Fat 0.18 g
Protein 0.98 g
Thiamine 0.039 mg
Riboflavin 0.037 mg
Niacin 0.649 mg
Pantothenic acid 0.281 mg
Vitamin B6 0.084 mg
Folate 22 micrograms
Vitamin C 2.2 mg
Vitamin E 0.3 mg
Vitamin K 3.5 micrograms
Calcium 9 mg
Iron 0.23 mg
Magnesium 14 mg
Manganese 0.232 mg
Phosphorus 2 mg
potassium 229 mg
Zinc 0.16 mg
In Nigeria, garden eggs are usually at their best from August through October when they come to the market in droves and can be either enjoyed fresh alone or with groundnut or cooked into a sumptuous sauce, which is eaten with boiled yam or plantain
Other health benefits of garden eggs include:
1. Garden egg positively helps with heart
problems and it helps to make the weight reduction diet more successful.
2. The yellow-colour flesh has a bitter-sweet taste as a result of the presence of small amounts of nicotinoid alkaloids and spongy consistency which helps to lower eye pressure in persons with glaucoma without side effect even with high consumption.
3. It is high in potassium, a necessary salt that helps in maintaining the function of the heart and regulate blood pressure.
4. It helps in the treatment of stomach ulcers.
5. Eating garden egg is good for reducing
blood cholesterol. It is also a great dietary option for diabetic patients due to its ability to reduce the absorption of glucose in the body and reduce blood sugar levels. It also possesses low soluble carbohydrates, which assist in this regard.
6. Garden egg is great for pregnant women as it is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients which make it an essential part of every pregnant woman’s daily vegetable consumption.
7. The leaves can serve as a natural blood tonic in anaemic patients. The leaves also provide women with micronutrients which help in improving blood level.
White garden egg
8. Garden egg is one of the anti-cancer fruit which has been helping for over decades.
9. It provides the body with both fat soluble vitamins and water soluble vitamins, which are rich in Thiamin (Vitamin B6) required for normal growth and proper functioning of the heart and nervous system.
10. Garden egg helps prevent blood clots with the help of vitamin K and bioflavonoids, which strengthen capillaries.
11. Potassium present in garden egg helps in the control of high blood pressure and relieves stress.
12. Just as it happens with other foods that contain fibre, garden eggs help with digestion of food by ensuring the smooth passage of food in the body so that there is no chance of bloating, it prevents constipation and good for general colon health.
13. As a result of its potassium content, this vegetable also aids removes puffiness during pregnancy. It is common for pregnant women to get puffy because of weight gain and oedema, especially on the legs, but this can be controlled/prevented during the nine-month journey by regular consumption of garden egg.
In case you are one of those who’d sneer at this awesome vegetable and isn’t too keen on consuming it, it’s time to have a rethink.
Meanwhile, garden eggs are not expensive at all, they are widely available and nutritious. So, what are you waiting for?
IAM MC OMARICHA SMART.
|Re: Health Benefits Of Eating Garden Egg by Omaricha002(m): 6:07pm On Jul 24, 2019|
sweet garden egg
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54