Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother (2059 Views)

Should I Leave Or Stay? / My Single Neighbor Came Knocking At My Door Late In The Night / My Husband Doesn’t Want My Son To Come And Stay With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 12:11pm On Jul 26, 2019
D

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Flambo02: 12:41pm On Jul 26, 2019
You can relocate. At 27 you aint a kid just tell her the way she can understand. Your description of your mum and wrong choices is beyond me. Is she also responsible for your 3rd class? Smh

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by piroux(f): 12:54pm On Jul 26, 2019
Flambo02:
You can relocate. At 27 you aimt a kid just tell her the way she can understand. Your description of your mum and wrong choices is beyong me. Is she also responsible for your 3rd class? Smh

Really? Well, that was one part of his story i could totally relate to. I know way-too-many parents who are exactly like that. Unable to make life enabling decisions when the resources are there and then spend the rest of their lives blaming witches, idols, jealous neighbors, etc for the misfortunes common sense could have prevented.

@OP, if for nothing else, get out of that environment. It will warp your thinking. Soon, you'll be doing vigils against wall geckos and crying cats.

Walk away and hustle your hustle. Also, try and work towards getting your certificate yourself. And don't join bad gang.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 1:12pm On Jul 26, 2019
Flambo02:
You can relocate. At 27 you aint a kid just tell her the way she can understand. Your description of your mum and wrong choices is beyond me. Is she also responsible for your 3rd class? Smh
well thanks for your input but you can’t completely conclude I made wrong choice or wasn’t serious in school. I’m sure you know what it means struggling to pay fees each semester when exam is approaching, your mates are reading but you are still restless because u haven’t paid fees and at the end miss some papers. Btw, I never said my third class is a problem for me.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 1:20pm On Jul 26, 2019
piroux:

Really? Well, that was one part of his story i could totally relate to. I know way-too-many parents who are exactly like that. Unable to make life enabling decisions when the resources are there and then spend the rest of their lives blaming witches, idols, jealous neighbors, etc for the misfortunes common sense could have prevented.

@OP, if for nothing else, get out of that environment. It will warp your thinking. Soon, you'll be doing vigils against wall geckos and crying cats.

Walk away and hustle your hustle. Also, try and work towards getting your certificate yourself. And don't join bad gang.
thanks a lot for this. Really appreciate. I’m planning towards moving by the end of this year. I just need to save a significant amount of money
Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Efewestern: 2:53pm On Jul 26, 2019
Jewingle:
thanks a lot for this. Really appreciate. I’m planning towards moving by the end of this year. I just need to save a significant amount of money

The school fees is quite large and the grade isn't that encouraging, well the best way out is to save some money, move out, start a little business or migrate to some better country and when you are financially stable, you can then get your degree.

Since you are into crypto, be proactive, know when to pump in more money, you know it isn't that fixed or stable.

As for your mom's attitude, you aren't alone, most African/Nigerian Parents are like that, too spiritual, they blame everything on witches & wizard, you just have to ignore.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by greatme2good(f): 5:23pm On Jul 26, 2019
Efewestern:

The school fees is quite large and the grade isn't that encouraging, well the best way out is to save some money, move out, start a little business or migrate to some better country and when you are financially stable, you can then get your degree.

Since you are into crypto, be proactive, know when to pump in more money, you know it isn't that fixed or stable.

As for your mom's attitude, you aren't alone, most African/Nigerian Parents are like that, too spiritual, they blame everything on witches & wizard, you just have to ignore.

Are you speaking of him going for another degree or go for that same one? I'm asking coz Nigerian university admissions expires after additional two years you complete your expected course year. I don't know about Ghana and private schools though.
IMO I would advice he enrolls for another degree after making some money. I know it won't be easy but spending such money in getting that certificate isn't wise.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Efewestern: 5:59pm On Jul 26, 2019
greatme2good:

Are you speaking of him going for another degree or go for that same one? I'm asking coz Nigerian university admissions expires after additional two years you complete your expected course year. I don't know about Ghana and private schools though.
IMO I would advice he enrolls for another degree after making some money. I know it won't be easy but spending such money in getting that certificate isn't wise.

Going for another degree is his best shot, because I can't imagine spending close to 3m for a degree that's not that good.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 26, 2019
Yes, MOVE. Make the most of the remaining 5-months of 2019 to save some more and move to PH in 2020 if that's where you want to be.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by SomeHenro: 9:42pm On Jul 26, 2019
OP try to collect that certificate and go for your NYSC program.
I am talking from experience. You will regret not collecting that certificate when opportunities come. Forget the grade and collect your certificate.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 10:01pm On Jul 26, 2019
theButterfly:
Yes, MOVE. Make the most of the remaining 5-months of 2019 to save some more and move to PH in 2020 if that's where you want to be.

thanks for you advice.
Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 10:02pm On Jul 26, 2019
SomeHenro:
OP try to collect that certificate and go for your NYSC program.
I am talking from experience. You will regret not collecting that certificate when opportunities come. Forget the grade and collect your certificate.
thanks for this. I definitely will take my cert

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2019
Efewestern:

Going for another degree is his best shot, because I can't imagine spending close to 3m for a degree that's not that good.
Naa this is not an option for me. But thanks for your advice.
Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 10:06pm On Jul 26, 2019
greatme2good:

yes I have thought about everything. I can’t enroll for another degree in Nigeria or Ghana. Never ever! I need my certificate because I would use it for my post graduate overseas or Australia PR route
Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by babythug(f): 3:20pm On Jul 27, 2019
You seem to have it somewhat figured out!

I guess you just need a little nudge.

God speed.....

4 Likes

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Pavore9: 6:37pm On Jul 27, 2019
OP, it is sad you portrayed you mum in bad light harping on things she failed to do or achieve. You being 27 means she had you at age 18 and your father passing on when you were in JSS3 thus making her a widow by her early 30s and had to bear being your sole provider and even at 27 years old you are still expecting her to clear your $9,000 school fees debt, " being smarter" than her why depending on her to pay it? There are thousands of Nigerians studying in Universities and Polytechnics who are your age and younger whose fathers and mothers are both alive but they are the ones sponsoring themselves through school.

Even the crypto currency business you are now into, she gave you the money to start, so despite her "flaws" have a grateful heart.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by frozen70(f): 7:41pm On Jul 27, 2019
Jewingle:
Good morning guys, I’m in a dilemma right now concerning the situation I am right now, Please it’s a long story endure till the end and forgive any grammatical error thanks . I need logical and analytical advice.

First of all, I’m a graduate but yet to go for service because I haven’t taken my certificate because I’m still owing the school. How I finished without paying up my fees is left for me and God lol. It wasn’t an easy feet because I know what I passed through just to get out of the school system. At the end of the day I came out with third class but I don’t let that bother me anyways but sometimes I think of the amount I still have to pay to collect my cert. (about $9000 which is 3m plus in naira ). The amount is in dollars because I schooled in Ghana.

A brief summary of me: I’m a young guy of 27 years with a single mother that has been taking care of me since my father passed on right from my jss3. I would say my mom is a hardworking woman but has failed to plan very well in respect to planning for a better future for herself and myself and also considering the fact she failed to clear up my fees when the money was there thinking the money will always be there when the need arises, building a house when she had the money to do so or establishing a stable business. (Note:With the money she was seeing back then, she ought to have built her own house at least. She was into oil business ). Btw my mom is 45years old.

Back to my story; to cut long story short, I finished up in Ghana and came back to Yenegoa (Bayelsa state) where my mom lives. (In a rented apartment). Last year October (2018).To be frank this wasn’t my plan coming back home to live with her, because I know the kind of person my mom is. (She is too controlling, possessive, wants to control my movement, talk to me like a kid, and nags too much for little things and the worse of it all, she is too over spiritual and believes every misfortune she have is spiritual, any sickness is spiritual without thinking of her own mistakes.
In fact, she doesn’t make any mistakes but blames everything on spiritual cause.to the point she wants me to be like that which I always object and that always cause problems btw us. There’s more to that but I will pause that first.

Now the real problem is, I have been idle doing nothing for close to a year staying at home all day long without any tangible thing doing in an unproductive state like Bayelsa without constant electricity, no job no nothing. In fact Bayelsa is a dead state. The reason I have not left here is because I haven’t gone for service yet because I’m still owing fees, ( I’m waiting for her to pay up my fees)
Well, I wasn’t completely idle, I’m into crypto currencies and was lucky enough to borrow about 300k from her which i invested in bitcoin when it was $3000. Today my coin is worth about 1m in naira and I’m still day trading and making little cash and that has been a blessing to me because I don’t ask her for any money again for the past months now and also help in buying few things in the house from time to time.

Now, I’m planning on relocating to PH by January 2020 because I believe by then I would have saved a significant amount that would cater for rent and other things and maybe a little business(I know she won’t buy the idea Becos I’m th only child but I’m leaving anyways)
Note: I’m living because (1)I just can’t continue wasting my time in Bayelsa. This state is a no no for any youth
And (2) I can’t cope living with my mom cry
My plans is to relocate out of Nigeria by the time I make significant amount of money tho some help can come from my mom but I can’t Bank on that Becos I don’t know when she will have the money. But the problem is my certificate because I still need to clear up about 3m for a third class. Is it really worth it? Though i intend using my degree to apply for Australia PR because it’s a core engineering course irrespective of the grade. Just present a good CDR which I can do from my undergraduate project topic. but what’s my chance? I don’t want to waste money for now taking the cert and my plans don’t work out when I could have used the money for business and maybe later go for my certificate.
Please I need advice from matured and experienced folks. Thanks

Left for me, no need to waste 3 million to collect a certificate with third class result, unless you know that you are not going to present that certificate anywhere for employment considering you studied in Ghana

I will suggest you tell your mum what your intending result is all about and you will like to start afresh in any Nigeria University

This time around do a course similar to engineering so that you can cope

Relocate to Port Harcourt and start a new life, your mum has her own challenges that is giving her mood swing

But bear in mind that you disappointed yourself and that you are willing to make things right in any area you chooses now

Forget about what people will say, that shouldn't bother you

Your future seems slim and you know that because you have not being focused
Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 9:05pm On Jul 27, 2019
frozen70:

Left for me, no need to waste 3 million to collect a certificate with third class result, unless you know that you are not going to present that certificate anywhere for employment considering you studied in Ghana

I will suggest you tell your mum what your intending result is all about and you will like to start afresh in any Nigeria University

This time around do a course similar to engineering so that you can cope

Relocate to Port Harcourt and start a new life, your mum has her own challenges that is giving her mood swing

But bear in mind that you disappointed yourself and that you are willing to make things right in any area you chooses now

Forget about what people will say, that shouldn't bother you

Your future seems slim and you know that because you have not being focused
I appreciate your input and advice. Thanks a lot but I have to state some things. I have never and will never consider doing another degree in Nigeria. You sound like having a first class or second class is an easy pass to a lucrative job. Maybe I disappointed my self coming out with a third. But I only feel bad Becos Of the amout I spent and still have to spend and not about the third class itself but that has nothing to do with my future and my future can’t be determined by a piece of paper. The only reason i need my certificate is for NYsc and my plans traveling out of the country and not because I’m using it to get employment. My future is not Slim, but very bright thank you. Keep certificate aside, I’m more business oriented than having to go be a slave to anyone in the name of working...currently what I make in two weeks is more than some people’s salary in the bank and some companies monthly even with their first class so pls don’t go about dictating people’s future Becos of a class of degree. That’s a shallow mindset
Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 9:16pm On Jul 27, 2019
Pavore9:
OP, it is sad you portrayed you mum in bad light harping on things she failed to do or achieve. You being 27 means she had you at age 18 and your father passing on when you were in JSS3 thus making her a widow by her early 30s and had to bear being your sole provider and even at 27 years old you are still expecting her to clear your $9,000 school fees debt, " being smarter" than her why depending on her to pay it? There are thousands of Nigerians studying in Universities and Polytechnics who are your age and younger whose fathers and mothers are both alive but they are the ones sponsoring themselves through school.

Even the crypto currency business you are now into, she gave you the money to start, so despite her "flaws" have a grateful heart.

thanks for this. Yes I never meant to portray her in any bad way. I just wanted everyone to get a comprehensive understanding of my situation. Btw this is a faceless forum. Yes of course I know about people that their parents are less concerned about them. I would say I’m lucky. I appreciate her everyday and love her a lot. This is not purely based on her but decisions I have to make for myself. If you read everything and understood, You would realize i got my own plans too and not waitin for her

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Jewingle(m): 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2019
babythug:
You seem to have it somewhat figured out!

I guess you just need a little nudge.

God speed.....
thanks I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by frozen70(f): 9:26pm On Jul 27, 2019
Jewingle:
I appreciate your input and advice. Thanks a lot but I have to state some things. I have never and will never consider doing another degree in Nigeria. You sound like having a first class or second class is an easy pass to a lucrative job. Maybe I disappointed my self coming out with a third. But I only feel bad Becos Of the amout I spent and still have to spend and not about the third class itself but that has nothing to do with my future and my future can’t be determined by a piece of paper. The only reason i need my certificate is for NYsc and my plans traveling out of the country and not because I’m using it to get employment. My future is not Slim, but very bright thank you. Keep certificate aside, I’m more business oriented than having to go be a slave to anyone in the name of working...currently what I make in two weeks is more than some people’s salary in the bank and some companies monthly. so pls don’t go about dictating people’s future Becos of a class of degree. That’s a shallow mindset

I done hesr
Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by frozen70(f): 9:27pm On Jul 27, 2019
Jewingle:
I appreciate your input and advice. Thanks a lot but I have to state some things. I have never and will never consider doing another degree in Nigeria. You sound like having a first class or second class is an easy pass to a lucrative job. Maybe I disappointed my self coming out with a third. But I only feel bad Becos Of the amout I spent and still have to spend and not about the third class itself but that has nothing to do with my future and my future can’t be determined by a piece of paper. The only reason i need my certificate is for NYsc and my plans traveling out of the country and not because I’m using it to get employment. My future is not Slim, but very bright thank you. Keep certificate aside, I’m more business oriented than having to go be a slave to anyone in the name of working...currently what I make in two weeks is more than some people’s salary in the bank and some companies monthly. so pls don’t go about dictating people’s future Becos of a class of degree. That’s a shallow mindset

I done hear

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by Owiii(m): 6:16pm On Jul 28, 2019
Jewingle:
Good morning guys, I’m in a dilemma right now concerning the situation I am right now, Please it’s a long story endure till the end and forgive any grammatical error thanks . I need logical and analytical advice.

First of all, I’m a graduate but yet to go for service because I haven’t taken my certificate because I’m still owing the school. How I finished without paying up my fees is left for me and God lol. It wasn’t an easy feet because I know what I passed through just to get out of the school system. At the end of the day I came out with third class but I don’t let that bother me anyways but sometimes I think of the amount I still have to pay to collect my cert. (about $9000 which is 3m plus in naira ). The amount is in dollars because I schooled in Ghana.

A brief summary of me: I’m a young guy of 27 years with a single mother that has been taking care of me since my father passed on right from my jss3. ). Btw my mom is 45years old.

Back to my story; to cut long story short, I finished up in Ghana and came back to Yenegoa (Bayelsa state) where my mom lives. (In a rented apartment). Last year October (2018).To be frank this wasn’t my plan coming back home to live with her, because I know the kind of person my mom is. (She is too controlling, possessive, wants to control my movement, talk to me like a kid, and nags too much for little things and the worse of it all, she is too over spiritual and believes every misfortune she have is spiritual, any sickness is spiritual without thinking of her own mistakes.
In fact, she doesn’t make any mistakes but blames everything on spiritual cause.to the point she wants me to be like that which I always object and that always cause problems btw us. There’s more to that but I will pause that first.

Now the real problem is, I have been idle doing nothing for close to a year staying at home all day long without any tangible thing doing in an unproductive state like Bayelsa without constant electricity, no job no nothing. In fact Bayelsa is a dead state. The reason I have not left here is because I haven’t gone for service yet because I’m still owing fees, ( I’m waiting for her to pay up my fees)
Well, I wasn’t completely idle, I’m into crypto currencies and was lucky enough to borrow about 300k from her which i invested in bitcoin when it was $3000. Today my coin is worth about 1m in naira and I’m still day trading and making little cash and that has been a blessing to me because I don’t ask her for any money again for the past months now and also help in buying few things in the house from time to time.

Now, I’m planning on relocating to PH by January 2020 because I believe by then I would have saved a significant amount that would cater for rent and other things and maybe a little business(I know she won’t buy the idea Becos I’m th only child but I’m leaving anyways)
Note: I’m living because (1)I just can’t continue wasting my time in Bayelsa. This state is a no no for any youth
And (2) I can’t cope living with my mom cry
My plans is to relocate out of Nigeria by the time I make significant amount of money tho some help can come from my mom but I can’t Bank on that Becos I don’t know when she will have the money. But the problem is my certificate because I still need to clear up about 3m for a third class. Is it really worth it? Though i intend using my degree to apply for Australia PR because it’s a core engineering course irrespective of the grade. Just present a good CDR which I can do from my undergraduate project topic. but what’s my chance? I don’t want to waste money for now taking the cert and my plans don’t work out when I could have used the money for business and maybe later go for my certificate.
Please I need advice from matured and experienced folks. Thanks

Get your certificate and then move out to rent your own apartment or stay with a friend pending when you have money to rent your own apartment. Bro pease what do you do to make money. I'm looking for a side hustle please. I stay in Portharcourt
Re: Should I Leave Or Stay With My Single Mother by PattyMike(m): 5:41am On Oct 02, 2019
Jewingle:

My guy throw that 3rd class away that 3M add 1m to it and go to Germany and study your Engineering guy man you're 27 and honestly still a young man forget those people saying your future is this or that you didn't plan well. Education is free in Germany even for international students and as an engineer them go rush you cus engineers are really sorted after there even the 4m is for your living expense(you will spend it there) at least cus you must show the embassy you can pay rent and feed yourself for at least a year. Your own is even good you have mommy that have money that you're waiting for to give you 3m. I am also the only child of my parents and my dad died when I was 13 years old so I know what you mean by controlling and over protective she loves you and you are her WHOLE world trust me. you just have to show her you are a man and can handle yourself(don't be rude or aggressive) make sensible decisions that's what worked for me. I dropped out from open university in my FINAL year and I am planning to start again from 100L abroad and guess what I don't have 10,000 naira in my account no Job sebi you still have 1m Bitcoin which you got from a woman(your mum) who loaned you 300k. I also invested in Bitcoin 2017 when it was 8,000 and sold when it was 19k plus big profit nah that money I use build bungalow for my mama and that is where we are living today, we were living in room and parlor before she can go hungry for days to give me what I want we were not rich but growing she tried to give me what I want, My mama no use browsing phone before but when my mate dey buy blackberry she used over 70% of her salary to buy me that blackberry Tour wey I use. You should be very grateful for your mother i know I am and even till today she is still showing signs of over protectiveness(she still fight my fiance yesterday cus the babe dey talk to me anyhow) but it is Love my brother the greatest love ever. even if I no get shingba for my pocket now tomorrow go better cus God dey and we dey push dey husle God go help us so better think twice bro and treat that woman like a goddess.
Use your brain oga you no be pikin again cancel the stupid PH wey u wan go , work u no get there wetin u wan do there cost of living in pH is even more than Lagos. your own better now

(1) (Reply)

Lady Sends Her Husband Packing In UK After He Called Police On Her (video) / Things To Consider Before Going Into A Marriage / PHOTO: Which Of This Outfit Would You Prefer Your Daughter To Wear?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.