Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,972 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food (31629 Views)

Roasted Baboon: Is It Advisable To Eat This Kind Of Animal? / Beware Of Reddish Palm Oil, NAFDAC Warns Nigerians / NAFDAC Warns Against Eating Fruits Ripened With Calcium Carbide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Jobac: 2:21pm On Jul 28, 2019
Ponmo for life!

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by poweredcom(m): 2:21pm On Jul 28, 2019
Techguyz:
Sad news for our afonja brothers

Wats wrong with ur brain must you bring tribal war here

Is ponmo only consumed by yorubas

Nonsense

Abeg nafdac make una shut up ..like say una no de use am cook spice meal together

Who Dem help yes we no it is of no nutritional value

Ehnn we like am

3 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by kingchris30(m): 2:23pm On Jul 28, 2019
The truth is that apart from the health risk , it is not even nutritious, so i wonder why people like it.

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by uuzba(m): 2:24pm On Jul 28, 2019
henryobinna:
an entire industry is being swallowed up into the mouth bu Nigerians.

A multi billion nairs industry at that.. embarassed
million, billion... Where is the money being used?
If the workers are not paid to eat well, then they eat the industry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by uuzba(m): 2:25pm On Jul 28, 2019
kingchris30:
The truth is that apart from the health risk , it is not even nutritious, so i wonder why people like it.
Because they can't afford meat.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by pocohantas(f): 2:25pm On Jul 28, 2019
SURElee:

I even wonder why people spend their money to buy what adds no nutritional value to their body and that pomo can smell in the market eh! Kai! Na to dey pray make e no be when you dey pass, the pomo seller dey throwey the smelly water. Chai!

The ones that smell are those ones they have soaked in whatever nonsense and chemical to soften it.

Premium ponmon, especially the one from the cow head or legs, doesn't smell. It has a slimy core and tastier, albeit expensive.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by princety24(m): 2:25pm On Jul 28, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FguXyayYiQ0 Ministerial Nominees, screening still ongoing....
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Sanchez01: 2:26pm On Jul 28, 2019
mrMeen:
abeg ooooooooh even in the north I like my ganda bery bery well wallah.
E don finish! grin
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by mrMeen(m): 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2019
Sanchez01:

E don finish! grin
E Don pinish mana that juicy thick ganda that I like to pounce my lips on, ooooooooh make i go buy ganda from mama basira.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by CreativeJerry(m): 2:46pm On Jul 28, 2019
We don hear oooh. Check my signature for blogging tips , web design & development tutorials, internet tips, and computer tips.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Gemsville: 2:47pm On Jul 28, 2019
Can't we eat out local one ni since it's the imported ones that have issues
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Timileyin1234(m): 2:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
Fess na bush meat now na pomon. Dey don swear for una
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Funmmyastic: 2:57pm On Jul 28, 2019
Ponmo is bae!
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by kingchris30(m): 3:01pm On Jul 28, 2019
uuzba:

Because they can't afford meat.
Is better to eat egg
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 28, 2019
I prefer assorted to kpomo.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by tomdon(m): 3:14pm On Jul 28, 2019
Eazie351:

just to complete the food equation. you'll be like,

gimme 1 ogunfe, 2 normal meat, 1 assorted & one ponmo.

it's ponmo we call last sef

So funny. Though I don't eat that it but It's true I hear it when they start calling out all they want, ponmo always comes last
ie and one ponmo.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Sanchez01: 3:24pm On Jul 28, 2019
mrMeen:
E Don pinish mana that juicy thick ganda that I like to pounce my lips on, ooooooooh make i go buy ganda from mama basira.
LMAO grin grin grin

I don't joke with them in my vegetable soups. grin
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by nextstep(m): 3:25pm On Jul 28, 2019
People no dey get sense. They said be careful because a lot of ponmo is treated with chemicals and illegally diverted. People are there shouting "NO... I will eat it." Then they will complain about kidney failure and blame it on village people. angry
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Mcy56(f): 3:39pm On Jul 28, 2019
This thread is hilarious. grin
So that's how you will vote Nafdac out if you were to go with either Nafdac or kpomo and kpomo will win? Chai! cheesy
Anyway, while it's good they alerted us, I guess the fault belongs to the govt if they were diverting leathers meant for industrial use for consumption.
Govt should beef up more securities in the borders. What happens to due process of importing the leathers and monitoring them up to the final destination? Let the authorities concerned sit up and live up to their respective responsibilities.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by mrMeen(m): 3:46pm On Jul 28, 2019
Sanchez01:

LMAO grin grin grin

I don't joke with them in my vegetable soups. grin
They are wetin we call spice of life you can't do without them.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Pat081: 3:56pm On Jul 28, 2019
OboOlora:
Nafdac de mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing is more orgasmic as ponmo alata n cold 33!
Hmmmmmmmm u read my mind. ponmo that use to go with cold beer they too will be taking it in their house oooo
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by henryobinna(m): 4:21pm On Jul 28, 2019
uuzba:
million, billion... Where is the money being used?
If the workers are not paid to eat well, then they eat the industry.
production of shoes and other leather materials would be cheaper if most animal hides are not eaten but used for the purpose.

the craziest part is the shi..t has little to no nutritional value, almost like eating paper
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Chukalemon(m): 4:31pm On Jul 28, 2019
Gbajabiamila eeeh.i never joke with pomo
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Funkybabee(f): 5:12pm On Jul 28, 2019
chaii my ponmo with efo riro though I heard a case of this news few years ago some evn said northern made some with human skin then transported them to south though am not sure about the authentication of the news
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by LANDLORD72: 7:01pm On Jul 28, 2019
Ravon:
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) wishes to use this medium to ALERT the general public and in particular consumers of animal hides popularly known as PONMO in local parlance on the activities of some unscrupulous businessmen and traders who are selling industrial animal hides as food.

As far back as 2015, following intelligence reports, the Agency, through Investigation and Enforcement Directorate, had been successfully dealing with isolated cases of dangerous diversion of animal hides meant for industrial use into the food chain for consumption as local delicacy PONMO. This practice poses a grave danger to public health.

Investigations revealed that some of the companies legally imported hides from countries such as Lebanon and Turkey, while the majority of the product was smuggled into the country through the porous borders.

These imported animal hides are meant for industrial use by leather industries for the manufacture of items such as shoes, bag, belt etc. The hides, therefore, are pretreated with industrial chemicals which are not of food-grade and will be toxic and injurious to human health. Health hazards inherent in the consumption of such animal hides include risk of Liver, Kidney and Heart damage, increased risk of Aplastic anaemia, Central nervous system toxicity, cancer, etc.

Livestock farmers are also to note that industrial animal hides can also not be used to manufacture animal feed, as the associated chemicals will be stored in the tissues of these animals and will eventually end up in humans when consumed with the attendant deleterious effects listed above.

The general public is hereby encouraged to be very vigilant and exercise discretion when purchasing animal hides PONMO and indeed other food items. NAFDAC is fully alive to her responsibilities of assuring the safety, wholesomeness and quality of processed foods offered for sale to the public. In this regard, the Agency has increased the tempo of targeted and aggressive routine (unannounced) inspections to monitor activities of animal hide merchants to ensure that only food-grade animal hide (PONMO) is sold as food article in our markets.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2019/07/27/nafdac-warns-nigerians-on-consumption-of-animal-hides-and-skin-ponmo-as-food/
We know real ponmo from the industrial once
No body can stop it I enjoy it.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 28, 2019
TheFacelessMan:
angry

[img]http:///media/12-24-2016/E1c7QP.gif[/img]

Mama Basira .. 2 more pieces of PONMO

PS - read the true story of how a cult hitman became a Pastor. Graphic! Viewer's discretion.

https://www.nairaland.com/5326763/cult-church-true-story-hitman
Faceless man
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 28, 2019
I need more ponmo ooo
The three I just ate isn't enough.......

Story for the gods (if they exist)

Because (local gal cannot CAN)

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by ItsMeAboki(m): 7:41pm On Jul 28, 2019
Some ppl hate the Fulani; yet cannot resist cow meat so much so they even consume the hides and skins that should have gone to make our shoes, belts and bags - thereby limiting and under mining our leather exports and foreign exchange earnings.
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by gonkin(m): 7:51pm On Jul 28, 2019
Na wa oo kpomo too?

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 28, 2019
pocohantas:

The ones that smell are those ones they have soaked in whatever nonsense and chemical to soften it.

Premium ponmon, especially the one from the cow head or legs, doesn't smell. It has a slimy core and tastier, albeit expensive.

PAKOhantas connoisseur of ponmo. Fake Buta. We have seen you finish. People are talking of rare sirloin steak, you are talking of ponmo

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by uuzba(m): 6:55am On Jul 29, 2019
henryobinna:
production of shoes and other leather materials would be cheaper if most animal hides are not eaten but used for the purpose.

the craziest part is the shi..t has little to no nutritional value, almost like eating paper
Uncle, I lived in UK for 4 years. Doing my Masters and student job.
Chicken is damn cheap. Same in America. I was TIRED, TIRED TIRED TIRED of eating chicken.
I was just adding weight anyhow!
That is how cheap chicken is for western world. Some how fish is expensive. Naija wey, I no fit see meat eat for eba.

If someone can eat chicken anyhow, what is he looking for with punmo?

You are are here in Nigeria, you have not experienced it. That's why you think Nigerians are being wasteful.

No they are not. They are hungry and malnourished. That's why people eat punmo
Something that just RESEMBLES meat small.

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by henryobinna(m): 9:31am On Jul 29, 2019
uuzba:

Uncle, I lived in UK for 4 years. Doing my Masters and student job.
Chicken is damn cheap. Same in America. I was TIRED, TIRED TIRED TIRED of eating chicken.
I was just adding weight anyhow!
That is how cheap chicken is for western world. Some how fish is expensive. Naija wey, I no fit see meat eat for eba.

If someone can eat chicken anyhow, what is he looking for with punmo?

You are are here in Nigeria, you have not experienced it. That's why you think Nigerians are being wasteful.

No they are not. They are hungry and malnourished. That's why people eat punmo
Something that just RESEMBLES meat small.
something that looks like meat small... grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Few Reasons Why Ladies Love Or Should Love Cucumbers / Watch Almajiri Children Scramble For Remnants Of Food Left By A Man / 6 Foods Nigerian Don't Joke With (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.