Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,500 members, 7,836,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members (1920 Views)

Pastor, 70, Seeks Dissolution Of 41-year-old Marriage Over Sex Starvation / Husband Seeks Dissolution Of 10 Years Marriage Over Alleged DNA Result / Pastor Seeks Dissolution Of 15 Years Marriage Over Nagging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by sandyonuh(f): 9:49am On May 13, 2007
Hi,

Can anyone enlighten me on how ones family elders can decide as a family to disolve the marriage of another family members marriage? In this case the husband is Nigerian (IGBO) and the wife is a US citizen. The husband is currently in Nigeria and the wife is in the USA, they are waiting for the spousal visa petition of the husband to be approved so he can come to the USA. Please help me.
Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by uyai(f): 10:39pm On May 15, 2007
please clarify post. we need more info.
Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by laudate: 2:58pm On May 18, 2007
Um, is it the Igbo man that wants to divorce the American wife before his spousal visa is approved? Kindly let us know. Or does the Igbo man have another wife in Nigeria, that he wants to divorce before he leaves for America? I mean, what's the deal?
Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by sandyonuh(f): 12:34am On Jun 17, 2007
Hi

This is an update on my previous post. My Nigerian husbands family forced him to divorce me. Pressure from the family was soo bad, he filed for divorce and was granted it yesterday.
He told me he didn't appear in court for the hearing, but his family members were there. He says he has the divorce decree and that he wants to appeal to a higher court to have the divorce reversed. Can he do this, have it reversed if we both sign a document stating neither of us wanted this divorce. He says he will have to do this secretely from his family also, to keep peace with them, cose he currently lives with family members .
Also, wouldn't he have had to sign the divorce decree himself? This would mean that he would have had to appear in court for the hearing then right?
Please if anyone knows how the divorce court system works in kubwa abuja nigeria, please let me know.

Thanks,
sandy_onuh
Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by uyai(f): 12:42am On Jun 17, 2007
i don't know about the court system, but i have a feeling that ur husband is leading u along. a real man does not let anyone tear his familiy apart

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:44am On Jun 17, 2007
Lmao. you've been punked.

pressure ko, pressure cooker ni.

He signed it and he's telling you all that garbage to make you feel better. How will he be able to reverse it in secret?

Berra just leave with what is left of your dignity and learn from this experience. Girls need to stop dealing with all these fraudulent "paper less" men. Gosh

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by mamaput(f): 4:54pm On Jun 17, 2007
Please Nigeria is not a banana republic.
He Filed for the divorce(or did he fake the papers.)
When you get your copy go and find out if it is real.
Did you not get an invitation from the court ?
Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by walcolm(m): 8:39am On Dec 23, 2011
sandy_onuh:

Hi

This is an update on my previous post. My Nigerian husbands family forced him to divorce me. Pressure from the family was soo bad, he filed for divorce and was granted it yesterday.
He told me he didn't appear in court for the hearing, but his family members were there. He says he has the divorce decree and that he wants to appeal to a higher court to have the divorce reversed. Can he do this, have it reversed if we both sign a document stating neither of us wanted this divorce. He says he will have to do this secretely from his family also, to keep peace with them, cose he currently lives with family members .
Also, wouldn't he have had to sign the divorce decree himself? This would mean that he would have had to appear in court for the hearing then right?
Please if anyone knows how the divorce court system works in kubwa abuja nigeria, please let me know.

Thanks,
sandy_onuh

the legal system in Nigeria works like any other system in the world. (of course, corruption makes it murky but the basics are the same)

i will advise you contact the US embassy and give them the story. extended family members cannot file a divorce suit on behalf of anyone. my first take is the guy is deceiving you.

i guess you have helped him process his US residency? if you had, you might want to have it revoked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by Outstrip(f): 7:12pm On Dec 24, 2011
Elders cannot file for divorce for someone else. grin grin grin What a liar

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by mercysamuelson(m): 3:42pm On Jul 30, 2019
It's only a law court that can dissolve a legal marriage and not the elders of ones family if the wedding is legal.
Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by LadySarah: 4:43am On Jul 31, 2019
Pathetic Liar!Theres nothing lije that in Igboland Or Nigeria.
Pls,be guided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Dissolution Of Marriage By Family Members by sisisioge: 6:10am On Jul 31, 2019
sandyonuh:
Hi

Thanks,
sandy_onuh

Wow! He lied to you! Family members don't file for divorce on behalf of married parties in Nigeria. We read law same way you did...in fact, our laws are largely influences by the common law. Please don't believe him, he's had enough of you and wants to leave. He lacks honour!

In fact, how could they have divorced the two of you without you being served a letter from court to appear too? Where did you two get married? Na wa o.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Some Girls Nowaday? / I Need A Fairly Used AC, Freezer And Gas Cylinder To Buy. / Are You Receptive To Your Widowed Parent Finding Love Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.