Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,841 members, 7,831,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? (7872 Views)

Naijapro: Uhrobo Or Ekiti like the Country Of Western Nigeria / Ekiti The Fountain Of Knowledge Or Ekiti The Stomach Infratructure State / Anambra Is The Brain Box Of Nigeria-jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by adultebony(m): 6:45pm On Oct 18, 2010
It's funny to see how the 'okponu' that started off this thread is trying hard to claim Yoruba and deny his native ibo tribe.

There's no basis for comparing Ekiti and Anambra. These are to different people with different ideologies. We the Ekitis believe in building and investing in people, the Anambra people believe in building physical structures. We see everywhere and anywhere we found ourselves as home, Anambra people see only Anambra State as home and there will always remit everything back there. (this could be a good thing though). There's is no great man in this country (quote me) that has not been taught by an Ekiti man. There's no State in Nigeria where you can't find and Ekiti man making useful contributions to the economy and mostly education of the State.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by AkinEgba: 7:15pm On Oct 18, 2010
adultebony:

It's funny to see how the 'okponu' that started off this thread is trying hard to claim Yoruba and deny his native ibo tribe.

There's no basis for comparing Ekiti and Anambra. These are to different people with different ideologies. We the Ekitis believe in building and investing in people, the Anambra people believe in building physical structures. We see everywhere and anywhere we found ourselves as home, Anambra people see only Anambra State as home and there will always remit everything back there. (this could be a good thing though). There's is no great man in this country (quote me) that has not been taught by an Ekiti man. There's no State in Nigeria where you can't find and Ekiti man making useful contributions to the economy and mostly education of the State.   

Arrant bunkum

Please stop the senseless generalization and mention one great Nigerian that was taught by an Ekiti person as an example. Was Awo taught by an Ekiti person? Was Zik taught by an Ekiti person? Was Obasanjo taught by an Ekiti person? Was Shagari taught by an Ekiti person? Were Emeka Anayaoku, Wole Soyinka, Achebe, etc etc taught by Ekiti persons? If yes, please mention the names of the Ekiti persons that taught them. I am a great Nigerian from Ogun state and I was not taught by an Ekiti person. Infact, mention any great Nigerian outside of the South West that was taught by an Ekiti person.  You claim Ekiti people invest in human being? And I ask you, do you invest in human beings for the fun of it or for that person to be productive? I do not see any productivity or productive person in Ekiti of today. So what is the purpose of your investments? Ekiti, with all its so-called professors remains the poorest and most backward state in Yorubaland. Is this true or false? There is so much hype going on out there that only the ignorant will buy. Ogun state is the state whose people are both educated and productive. Most of the Yoruba leaders that have been in the national limelight are from Ogun. True or false? As for your claim that there is no state you will not find an Ekiti person involved in education, that is another bull. In any case, so also is there no state you will not find somebody from Imo, Anambra, Edo or Delta, to mention a few, teaching.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by OAM4J: 7:26pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

True.
Somehow I see Ekiti catching up with the likes of Lagos in a few, but I wish it does so without the cons that comes with it.

Good dream! grin But why do you want Ekiti to be like Lagos? Am from Lagos, and i wish something can be done to restore some sanity to my state.

The best time i love to be in Lagos is the week between Xmas and New year, when about 70% of Lagos population would have left.

@Topic
Some comparison are not worth it. All states can not and must not be the same. Even in a state, you don't want every part of the state to be an industrial estate.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 18, 2010
Akin-Egba
Thanks for pointing out our faults. We would reflect on these and make efforts to improve ourselves.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by funkybaby(f): 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2010
I have visited both states and there is no basis of comparism.

Ondo town and Owo should be compared with Ekiti State.  undecided

In terms of infrastructural development, Anambra is wayyyyy more developed than Ekiti.

Or is it not the same Ado-Ekiti that had just ''one single road lane'' signposted with ''one way only'' that took you through the city before Fayose came in and took the bold step of demolishing all the old houses and then dualising the road. (which is why i personally think he is the best governor that state has ever had . . . . . not forgetting the free kerosene he gave out while he was campaigning to be state governor)  grin grin

The state that deserves to be awarded the brain box of Nigeria is either Ondo State or Ogun State.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by AloyEmeka5: 3:51pm On Oct 19, 2010
funkybaby:

I have visited both states and there is no basis of comparism.

Ondo town and Owo should be compared with Ekiti State.  undecided

In terms of infrastructural development, Anambra is wayyyyy more developed than Ekiti.

Or is it not the same Ado-Ekiti that had just ''one single road lane'' signposted with ''one way only'' that took you through the city before Fayose came in and took the bold step of demolishing all the old houses and then dualising the road. (which is why i personally think he is the best governor that state has ever had . . . . . not forgetting the free kerosene he gave out while he was campaigning to be state governor)  grin grin

Anambra and Ekiti states are not the same age. Anambra should be compared with states like Oyo, Ogun and not Ekiti. Ekiti also claims to be a bastion of intellectualism and I refute that too because Delta, Imo and Rivers will probably have the highest number of intellectuals in Nigeria.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Bonchux(m): 4:00pm On Oct 19, 2010
anambra is more develop in any aspect compare to ekiti
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by ud4u: 4:03pm On Oct 19, 2010
There is no doubt that this country need to divide because I am getting pissed off with tribal bashing in almost every thread.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by chines4(m): 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2010
Anambra and Ekiti can you compare apple and orange.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by oluite(f): 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2010
tpiah:

akin egba

it's not by force to be yoruba.

why are you ashamed to identify with your actual tribe?
lol!
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Dandas: 4:33pm On Oct 19, 2010
Some people are funny atimes.How can you compare Anambra and Ekiti.Ekiti?,I laugh!!.Ekiti cannot even be compared with Nnewi or Onitsha Local governments.Jonathan that describe Anambra as the brain box,did not say so out of political patronage or campaign.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by kokoye(m): 4:34pm On Oct 19, 2010
OAM4J:

Good dream! grin But why do you want Ekiti to be like Lagos? Am from Lagos, and i wish something can be done to restore some sanity to my state.

The best time i love to be in Lagos is the week between Xmas and New year, when about 70% of Lagos population would have left.

Anyone who claims to be from Lagos is a slave or its descendant  grin

If you want fight, come and meet me on top of oke-agbona and let me send bees to deal with you.

Ekiti for life!   tongue
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by kokoye(m): 4:36pm On Oct 19, 2010
Anambra: The Brain Box Of Nigeria and kidnapping too?
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by funkybaby(f): 4:48pm On Oct 19, 2010
kokoye:

If you want fight, come and meet me on top of oke-agbona and let me send bees to deal with you.

Ekiti for life! tongue

wow!

now that's scary tongue
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by demla: 4:54pm On Oct 19, 2010
well ,when the post is carefully studied,it can be concluded dat the poster has got something to do with anambra if he is not from anambra
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Onlytruth(m): 4:56pm On Oct 19, 2010
I've been laughing my head off reading through this thread.  grin grin

Don't worry Beaf, Delta state is not far behind.  cool

I'll ask my folks in Nnewi to conduct a survey on human resources (from professors to businessmen to politicians), banks, buildings, schools (primary, secondary and tertiary) and industries (light, medium and heavy).

We may beat Ekiti sef. lmao!  grin
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by chino11(m): 5:02pm On Oct 19, 2010
Below is the text of President Jonathan' speed in Awka,

President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday described Anambra State as the brain box of Nigeria. He also promised to do something about the resting place of the late elder statesman, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.
Addressing the people of the state, at the Alex Ekwueme Square, the president, who was in the state on a one-day official visit, said that though Anambra State was small in land mass, it is the biggest in the country, in terms of brain density.

Jonathan, was impressed with the state, especially the commissioning of two private industries in the state, and said the state has continued to play a leading role in the development of the country.
He commended the state government, under the leadership of Governor Peter Obi, for the giant strides it has recorded with its meager resources.

He said: “Today is a special day. I am here on a one-day state visit to see what the state government has done over this period and I am quite impressed with what the government has done, considering the resources of the state. We have commissioned quiet a number of projects, road projects. I’ve also commissioned a private company that manufactures vehicles and I am also to commission another private factory.
“When I commissioned the factory, I did mention to the people that Anambra State, in terms of land area, is a small state, but in terms of brain density, I think it’s the biggest state in Nigeria.

We have the brain and highly skilled people concentrated in this area; so I’m not surprised by what I have observed and even historically, we know the great names, whether you talk about politics, sports, academics. Definitely, great names from Anambra State will continue to echo.
“So today I’m here to join you to celebrate greatness and hard work, commitment, dedication and excellence. Let me sincerely thank all of you because from the time we came in till now, we’ve seen the warm reception; you have taken me as part of you, which I am. In fact, I was reminded that our father’s mausoleum has not been completed and we are going to look into that project.

“For my great people of Anambra State, I greet you and I assure you that we will continue to work together, continue to thank you for your support for us and to remind you again and assure you that in our journey to transform this country, I will not let you down.”
As a mark of solidarity and welcome to the president, business premises, markets and schools in the state, especially in Awka were closed and people came out in their large numbers to receive him at every community and point he either passed through or commissioned a project.
School children in their clean uniforms and Nigerian flag added colour to the visit, as they lined up along all the roads the president passed through, chanting songs of praises to Jonathan.

Also, governors of the nearby states, including those of Enugu, Ebonyi, Abia Delta, Edo and Akwa Ibom States graced the president’s visit,
President Jonathan, in the course of the visit, commissioned the Innoson Motor Assembly Plant, Adazi-Nnukwu-Obeledu-Oraeri-Igboukwu road, Agulu-Aguluzigbo-Igboukwu road built by Master Holdings Construction Company and Agulu – Enugwu-Ukwu-Nri road.
Others include NAFDAC Laboratory, in Agulu, Zik Avenue Road, State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) Complex, Juhel Parental Drugs Factory, Jerome Udoji Secretariat Complex, ASUBEB complex, General Out-Patient Department (GOPD) Building at the Anambra State University Teaching Hospital Complex and laying of the foundation stone for the hospital theater complex.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Mkpotu(m): 5:22pm On Oct 19, 2010
Apart from the fact that Anambra State was created in 1991, while Ekiti State was created in 1996, there is no room for comparison both in terms of year of creation as well as revenue generation, capital, infrastructure wise, human resources etc. Anambra State can boast of three (3) distinct cities, Awka, Onitsha & Nnewi which their development have touched all the surrounding towns thereby ensuring what you can call an even development across the state.

Ekiti should be compared with her likes; Jigawa, Ebonyi, Kebbi, Zamfara etc. (anyway, except for very old states like Kwara State that you can still compare with states like Ekiti)

Apart from Lagos which all of us acknowledge is the most developed in Nigeria & West Africa, it is only Ogun State that should be coming after Anambra State basically because of her proximity to Lagos & the development in Lagos is gradually merging into Ogun State, apart from that, no other South Western state should be compared with Anambra State.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by niyooo(m): 5:53pm On Oct 19, 2010
There's no basis for comparing Ekiti with Anambra. As people have pointed out, it's stupid and every state doesn't have to be the same. That said you can only compare based on certain parameters. It's stupidity to compare on all fronts. Every state has it's good points and bad points as previous posters have said. And for the Ibo boy claiming to be from Ogun and ranting nonsense about Ogun state being great, bla bla bla and other such nonsense. I'll put it to you and wait for you to refute it that the only problem with the Yoruba race is Ogun state. They should be excommunicated from the race. They have their hands in every evil in 9ja, even against themselves. Is it Shonekan and Abiola or Obj and Abiola or even Diya and Abiola or what? Ogun state is the south-west's problem and I stand by that.

By the way my Dad's from Ekiti while my Mum's from Ogun
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Reference(m): 6:06pm On Oct 19, 2010
This is a case of apples and oranges. Where do we have better brains in the US - Washington, Silicon Valley or Wall Street. They all have very good brains but apply their intellect in profoundly different ways. I suppose the Ekiti set-up is more about education while that of Anambra, commerce and industry. Interestingly both should play very important roles in national development but I think why GEJ acknowledges that of Anambra is that it directly impinges on job creation and poverty alleviation. Thus it is not surprising thus that unemployment is lowest in that region.

However as the President will know as well Ekiti is as important to national development as Princeton or Harvard or MIT is to Washington, Silicon Valley or Wall Street. In fact they complement one another. Ekiti professors can develop ideas and Nnewi implement them. That is why in the US it is common for intellectuals to move into industry then into government and back again very comfortably and seamlessly.

The key here I think is values. If objectivity, achievements and purpose remains the motivating factors and not financial gain alone then these localities become complementary not competitive. And until as Nigerians we value our men and womenfolk by what they achieve and contribute to society rather than the size of their tunics, automobiles or condos then this question will continue to be debated.

Sir Alex will never be jealous of Wayne Rooney. Shrek (pardon me) earns a lot more than him but the battle is always to draw the line between who is boss and who is not. The players must respect the lesser earning coach. Stephen Hawkins would never be moved by the wealth of Bill Gates even though their impacts are matched. This is how we should see these things.

My worry here in this country is also that some are not contributing anything or barely anything yet they want to be the most educated and skillful (through quotas), the wealthiest (through allocation, contracting) and the most powerful (through political jobbing). They ignore the diversity and competition that places a lid on high corruption and we are not the better for it.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Onlytruth(m): 6:17pm On Oct 19, 2010
Reference:

This is a case of apples and oranges. Where do we have better brains in the US - Washington, Silicon Valley or Wall Street. They all have very good brains but apply their intellect in profoundly different ways. I suppose the Ekiti set-up is more about education while that of Anambra, commerce and industry. Interestingly both should play very important roles in national development but I think why GEJ acknowledges that of Anambra is that it directly impinges on job creation and poverty alleviation. Thus it is not surprising thus that unemployment is lowest in that region.

However as the President will know as well Ekiti is as important to national development as Princeton or Harvard or MIT is to Washington, Silicon Valley or Wall Street. In fact they complement one another. Ekiti professors can develop ideas and Nnewi implement them. That is why in the US it is common for intellectuals to move into industry then into government and back again very comfortably and seamlessly.

The key here I think is values. If objectivity, achievements and purpose remains the motivating factors and not financial gain alone then these localities become complementary not competitive. And until as Nigerians we value our men and womenfolk by what they achieve and contribute to society rather than the size of their tunics, automobiles or condos then this question will continue to be debated.

Sir Alex will never be jealous of Wayne Rooney. Shrek (pardon me) earns a lot more than him but the battle is always to draw the line between who is boss and who is not. The players must respect the lesser earning coach. Stephen Hawkins would never be moved by the wealth of Bill Gates even though their impacts are matched. This is how we should see these things.

My worry here in this country is also that some are not contributing anything or barely anything yet they want to be the most educated and skillful (through quotas), the wealthiest (through allocation, contracting) and the most powerful (through political jobbing). They ignore the diversity and competition that places a lid on high corruption and we are not the better for it.

I think you missed the most important point -Anambra is bigger than Ekiti in EVERYTHING: Schools, professors, scientists, lawyers, businessmen/women, banks, industries, you name it!

That is the GIST.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

I think you missed the most important point -Anambra is bigger than Ekiti in EVERYTHING: Schools, professors, scientists, lawyers, businessmen/women, banks, industries, you name it!

That is the GIST.

Where is your statistic? Back up your claims please.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Afam4eva(m): 6:50pm On Oct 19, 2010
How can anyone in his right senses compare Ekiti to Anambra. Anambra is where you find the most litterate and illiterate people. There's none like it in Nigeria. The only state apart from lagos that have 2 cities that can pass for a state capital.

Thoug i love Ekiti. Ekiti and Ondo people are my favourite yoruba people cos they are more friendly and less tribalistic like others. I think they share lots of attributes with Igbos. Plus did i say that they are CLEAN.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by ugoani(m): 7:13pm On Oct 19, 2010
Pls what are you guys turning our nairaland into?
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Reference(m): 7:24pm On Oct 19, 2010
I really do not know any field of endeavor that does not require the application of intellect to get and stay ahead. That is why I rather see diversity and promotion of purpose in all these. The little I know of this world is that the brain thing we refer to is highly diverse. The Americans had the brains to get ahead but the Chinese have another type that is in high demand presently. Is intellect localized. No. It is fluid, it moves. Some brains will want to move where others are, where their ideas could be harnessed. Others hike to the desert where they create in isolation. We simply cannot compare one locality with another. Are we saying the US is the brain box of the world because there are more professors there. Or Luxembourg because they have the highest per-capita income or Japan because it has the highest population of robots.

Lets put oranges and apples in separate crates. The Japanese are great in robotics and high tech. The Brazilians and Spanish excellent in sports, the Israelis excel in security matters, the US dominates the entertainment world, North korea unrivaled in socialism. Very distasteful, but it takes extraordinary intellect to keep that population in check and I bet you someone like Sarkozy at this point just wished he was Kim. Brains are found all over the world and all over Nigeria in perhaps equal measure.

In Nigeria isn't the stereotype that - the Northerners are politically savvy yet we also say they have dstroyed the fabric of society, the Easterners are very industrial yet the stuff produced always comes out questionably, the Westerners are corporate giants yet have ruined every enterprise they have laid hands on. With all the Profs. in Ekiti how is education faring there talk-less of Nigeria in general. What is the impact? And if Anambra was that great every local and foreign investor would have set up shop there. So it is not a question of whose limo is bigger. Such arguments are pointless. Whatever you have that is positive, promote it. Whatever you are good at enhance it. Be known for something (positive) rather that try being average in everything.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by lovejo(m): 7:50pm On Oct 19, 2010
ONE THING I KNOW IS THAT EKITI AS SMALL AS IT IS EDUCATES NIGERIA.
GBAM
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by scholes0(m): 8:48pm On Oct 19, 2010
Ekiti 1996.
Anambra One of the first 20 founding states.
No one is comparing Ekiti with Anambra in terms of development, that would be stating the obvious, WEhat Akin Egba was comparing was the Educational impact of both states, on the country.
Ekiti people are educated,resourseful,clean and hard working people, And out of the last six states created by Abacha in 1996,they are still the best.
This goes a long way in emphasizing the impact of an educated population, In Ekiti state, school attendance is already emeshed in the culture so much,that it has become a part of it.Same goes for most parts of Ondo state.

Talking about total numbers of educated elite in the country,why should Ekiti state have the highest numbers since it is one of the last six least populated states in the nation? However talking about the percentage with respect to the total population, I would say Ekiti state is a National leader, IMO
+ Being educate din school doesen't equal to being a brain box,however it has a large role to play in achieving the above stated.

In general Ekiti is Safer,Cleaner,has more Natural beauty,less congestion ,traffic chaos and all associated with it including air and noise polution than Anambra. I would rather live here{Ekiti}
Why would anyone want to live in Anambra anyways, when there is Lagos,Ogun and rivers states around the corners.{economically speaking,now}
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by yabadabado: 9:13pm On Oct 19, 2010
if it is identity challenge.
i once ask a yoruba girlfriend how to know a piapun person from a yoruba person .
it simple, let him just give us their PRAISE POETRY IN THEIR LOCAL LANGUAGE[ORI KI] and if he is the lagos yoruba type or nursery school/kindergarten product, let the person make one up in YORUBA. too much "impersonation" of hausa and yoruba pple in this place.

we will know if the guy that started this thread is forming or not
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by nellaluv(f): 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2010
Ekiti Ekiti Ekiti

I've never heard of that state until i came to this site. seriously you can't compare Anambra state with Ekiti state it's just unfair. cool
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Prince22(m): 9:54pm On Oct 19, 2010
Seun, i think u are ffg this trend, can't u stop this national embarrassments by those that suppose to share ideas but showing themselves their natural attitudes to the public.
If GEJ gave such world in Anambra, it is just politicking, when he get to Ekiti on his political Ambition train, he will give another world
No matter the Brain box, individual achievements matters. we all know those that cut corners to get CERTIFICATES at least in larger percentage and it actually shows when they are in public, that is why all the ideas will fall back to the citizenship negatively, Brain box is determine by how opportune, fortunate exposure (Atleat 'TURAI') NO bi me talk am oooooo, she is a brain box to women fold for the husband tenure, allow 'who fit to reign' and leave criticism like GEJ want to start to destabilize us
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 19, 2010
Ekiti a gbe a o!!!

Please keep it coming. Like someone said, thank you all for telling us our faults. I hope a lot of Ekitis at home and abroad continue to read this. We can't reflect on our state and on ourselves without hearing the outside's input . We should be feeding on all of this for fuel. cool cool cool  Why do I see my state shining so bright? cool cool

Ekiti Kete!!!
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by nellaluv(f): 11:17pm On Oct 19, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ekiti a gbe a o!!!

Please keep it coming. Like someone said, thank you all for telling us our faults. I hope a lot of Ekitis at home and abroad continue to read this. We can't reflect on our state and on ourselves without hearing the outside's input . We should be feeding on all of this for fuel. cool cool cool  Why do I see my state shining so bright? cool cool

Ekiti Kete!!!

Would you also return home to contribute your quota, you this lazy girl tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Northerner Slizes Boys In Abakiliki For Testing Suya Not Paying(pics+eyewitness) / Abia Pensioners Protest In Umuahia Over Unpaid Pensions. / Why Peter Obi Has To Step Down For Atiku Abubakar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.