Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,627 members, 7,847,625 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:35 PM

The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? (7890 Views)

Naijapro: Uhrobo Or Ekiti like the Country Of Western Nigeria / Ekiti The Fountain Of Knowledge Or Ekiti The Stomach Infratructure State / Anambra Is The Brain Box Of Nigeria-jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by udezue(m): 8:10pm On Oct 17, 2010
Ekiti is more like a village compared to Anambra so there is no competition.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by EzeUche0(m): 8:11pm On Oct 17, 2010
udezue:

Ekiti is more like a village compared to Anambra so there is no competition.
grin grin grin grin

Ekiti could be compared to one Igbo state. Ebonyi State.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Lets say I was may be typing with Zinox brand, the okoro computer that has kp instead of k. I browse from a cafe and who knows the type of computers they have there? I have squared off with you in the past in Yoruba and you bowed for me.[/B] No? So instead of you and Aigbofa wasting time with trivalities, why not both of you take the easiest cause? Jump off a cliff if you doubt my Yoruba ancestry.
Bow for you ? Lwkmd even when you keep arguing about that rubbish you wrote.[b]OKPONU
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by kettykings: 10:14pm On Oct 17, 2010
Comparing Anambra and ekiti is unfair comparison , who hears or knows Ekiti outside yoruba land. Even onitsha is bigger economically, population wise and infrastructurally than all of Ekiti.

As per the fictitious lie that ekiti produces more graduates or professor (phd holders) than Anambra , only statistics from NUC or ministry of Education will clarify things.
However Anambra should be on the look out of being overtaken soon by imo, delta . competition cannot come from the west. The cool thing is that Anambra is not rated as an oil and gas states and yet it is making giant strides .
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by onyengbu1(m): 4:36am On Oct 18, 2010
Akin egba,
sorry i found u out first, its been obvious to me (and i guess many others too) you are an igbo guy.

My advice is, you dont have to claim yoruba to get your points across.
Again, the more u defend yourself, the more igbo u become. Imagine custom officer's accent being affected by living in igboland.
Many non igbos can hardly learn to speak fluent igbo in 20 years.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by DapoBear(m): 9:46am On Oct 18, 2010
Ekiti is a pretty poor rural state in the hinterland. But at the same time, we have a lot of talented people. Just most of them don't live there any more, off in Lagos, Abuja, US, Canada, etc. Pretty funny, I was at a party last weekend in downtown San Francisco hosted by some Nigerians I know,  so many of the people there from Ekiti.

And actually, this is not a recent phenomenon. Even in the 1800s, lots of Ekiti were off elsewhere doing business and trade. I think this is the nature of our people, go elsewhere, make money, then retire to Ekiti. Not many other options when you live in a relative hinterland.

Of course, it would be better if we didn't have to go elsewhere to make money, but I think that is just the nature of things. Also, truth be told, I've visited lots of cities in different parts of Nigeria, and many of them look filthy. Ekiti on the other hand is clean, peaceful, pristine, with wonderful hills and mountains nearby. I want the economic advantages of industrialization, but I'm not sure I want the rest of the negatives that come with it. Hopefully we can find a path to success that doesn't despoil the beauty of our state.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

Ekiti is a pretty poor rural state in the hinterland. But at the same time, we have a lot of talented people. Just most of them don't live there any more, off in Lagos, Abuja, US, Canada, etc. Pretty funny, I was at a party last weekend in downtown San Francisco hosted by some Nigerians I know,  so many of the people there from Ekiti.

And actually, this is not a recent phenomenon. Even in the 1800s, lots of Ekiti were off elsewhere doing business and trade. I think this is the nature of our people, go elsewhere, make money, then retire to Ekiti. Not many other options when you live in a relative hinterland.

Of course, it would be better if we didn't have to go elsewhere to make money, but I think that is just the nature of things. Also, truth be told, I've visited lots of cities in different parts of Nigeria, and many of them look filthy. Ekiti on the other hand is clean, peaceful, pristine, with wonderful hills and mountains nearby. I want the economic advantages of industrialization, but I'm not sure I want the rest of the negatives that come with it. Hopefully we can find a path to success that doesn't despoil the beauty of our state.
Lol. . .ekiti in 1800 ? Lwkmd !
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by udezue(m): 10:15am On Oct 18, 2010
Lol lol
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by DapoBear(m): 10:21am On Oct 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Lol. . .ekiti in 1800 ? Lwkmd !

Indeed. Last time I went to Nigeria, I purchased a book on the Ekitiparapo war (google it, if you are not familiar with it.) When the war started, we Ekiti were fairly underprepared. But we had lots of Ekiti in Lagos running businesses who raised money to support the war effort. Without their contributions, we'd very likely have lost the war.

Isn't anything new.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Abagworo(m): 10:32am On Oct 18, 2010
For Abagworo,I cannot stand 1 hour at Onitsha-Ado but I can spend my life at Ado-Ekiti.The condition of living there is much better.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by DapoBear(m): 10:44am On Oct 18, 2010
Abagworo:

For Abagworo,I cannot stand 1 hour at Onitsha-Ado but I can spend my life at Ado-Ekiti.The condition of living there is much better.

Indeed. I've never really been a fan of filthy, overpopulated places, personally. If it is nice, populous and CLEAN city, sure. But otherwise I'd much rather live somewhere rural, clean and safe. If Ekiti state had constant power and high-speed internet access, I'd much rather live there than even Abuja or Lagos, to be honest. With high speed internet access, it would be pretty easy for me to set up a business of some sort. And the overall cost of living and quality of life would be better.

I'm just not a fan of traffic, crime, pollution, urban poverty, etc. And if we can maintain a good standard of living without those things, all the better, imo. Quality over quantity, in my opinion.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

Dapo, God bless. I was going to write same thing earlier, but I didnt think these ppl were worth it.
A LOT of Ekitis dont stay to invest in their state. 95% of Ekitis on NL are NOT in ekiti state. 95% of Ekitis that I know are buying houses in Ekiti so it'd be easier when they go home. Wht are my people like this? Why cant we build up our state? Like I said before, LOTS of Nigerian professional workers [doctors, pharmacist, engineers, etc] and students in Florida are from Ekiti.

Brain and talent, we have it. Development, we seems to be lacking.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

GBAM! GBAM!

That's why I prefer to go str8 from Lagos Airport to Ekiti state the same day lol. I would loff it if we could build the state up and eventually have our own airport. I am tired of driving through Lagos and it's inhospitable police gangs  angry angry
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by tpiah: 1:44pm On Oct 18, 2010
akin egba

it's not by force to be yoruba.

why are you ashamed to identify with your actual tribe?
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by DapoBear(m): 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Dapo, God bless. I was going to write same thing earlier, but I didnt think these ppl were worth it.
A LOT of Ekitis dont stay to invest in their state. 95% of Ekitis on NL are NOT in ekiti state. 95% of Ekitis that I know are buying houses in Ekiti so it'd be easier when they go home. Wht are my people like this? Why cant we build up our state? Like I said before, LOTS of Nigerian professional workers [doctors, pharmacist, engineers, etc] and students in Florida are from Ekiti.

In general, I've never understood how some of these guys reason. "Haha, Anambra is more developed than Ekiti!" That doesn't mean I want to live there, lol. After all, if development is all that matters to me, I sure as hell I'm not going to pick Anambra, I'll stay here in SF. Or move back to DC. It is like a one-legged man making fun of a shorter one-legged man, "Haha, I'm taller than you!" Makes absolutely no sense. Then when you take into account factors like security, pollution, cleanliness, it becomes a one-legged man making fun of a short, but quite handsome dude.

Back to your point, it is a chicken and egg thing. Like I said earlier, I'd love to move to and live in Ekiti State. My aunt live in Ado-Ekiti, and her house is pretty nice, I really like that city a lot. But for me to move there and start a business, I need there to be cheap electricity and affordable high-speed internet access. This is the real problem with Nigeria, the ingredients you need to start businesses cost too much. Here in the US, power is really, really cheap. In Nigeria, it is expensive. Same with internet. Makes it very difficult to get things started.

There are like 2-3 business I could do off the top of my head if I had access to those two things, Outsourced phone/tech support, and contract software development. Grab an office building somewhere in Ado-Ekiti, hire the best computer science/math graduates I can find, and put them to work developing software for hire. But to do something like this, you need good internet access. And you also need NEPA to not be screwing things up. And if NEPA is not reliable, then you have to buy a generator and keep it fueled, which reduces the profitability of your business.

Seriously, why don't we just power Ado-Ekiti alone? That would be a good start.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by asha80(m): 2:02pm On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

In general, I've never understood how some of these guys reason. "Haha, Anambra is more developed than Ekiti!" That doesn't mean I want to live there, lol. After all, if development is all that matters to me, I sure as hell I'm not going to pick Anambra, I'll stay here in SF. Or move back to DC. It is like a one-legged man making fun of a shorter one-legged man, "Haha, I'm taller than you!" Makes absolutely no sense. Then when you take into account factors like security, pollution, cleanliness, it becomes a one-legged man making fun of a short, but quite handsome dude.

Back to your point, it is a chicken and egg thing. Like I said earlier, I'd love to move to and live in Ekiti State. My aunt live in Ado-Ekiti, and her house is pretty nice, I really like that city a lot. But for me to move there and start a business, I need there to be cheap electricity and affordable high-speed internet access. This is the real problem with Nigeria, the ingredients you need to start businesses cost too much. Here in the US, power is really, really cheap. In Nigeria, it is expensive. Same with internet. Makes it very difficult to get things started.

There are like 2-3 business I could do off the top of my head if I had access to those two things, Outsourced phone/tech support, and contract software development. Grab an office building somewhere in Ado-Ekiti, hire the best computer science/math graduates I can find, and put them to work developing software for hire. But to do something like this, you need good internet access. And you also need NEPA to not be screwing things up. And if NEPA is not reliable, then you have to buy a generator and keep it fueled, which reduces the profitability of your business.

Seriously, why don't we just power Ado-Ekiti alone? That would be a good start.

Actually ekiti people behave like anambrarians.Anambrarians hardly invset in their state but the kind of houses you see in anambra are something else built by anambrarians world over.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Obiagu1(m): 2:10pm On Oct 18, 2010
Which kind insult be dis? Anambra being compared with common Ekiti
If that's the case, I'll have to make a comparison between Ogun and Jigawa States which will be fair enough.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by chic2pimp(m): 2:26pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ain't that the sorry case of Nigeria as a whole?
Brain and Talent we have In Abundance, Development we seem to be lacking.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by onyengbu1(m): 2:26pm On Oct 18, 2010
Like someone said, these comparisons are like one legged man makin fun of a shorter one legged fellow.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 18, 2010
chic2pimp:

Ain't that the sorry case of Nigeria as a whole?
Brain and Talent we have In Abundance, Development we seem to be lacking.
True.
Somehow I see Ekiti catching up with the likes of Lagos in a few, but I wish it does so without the cons that comes with it.
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ekiti for life grin
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 18, 2010
LOL so ibkaye is still with us? grin grin And I thought chamotex has been hiding you somewhere lol
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 18, 2010
^no actually cheesy
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by chic2pimp(m): 2:40pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

True.
Somehow I see Ekiti catching up with the likes of Lagos in a few,
Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Ileke-IdI:

, but I wish it does so without the cons that comes with it.
That is wishful thinking and as your post shows, you know that yourself grin. You'll have to take the Good with the Bad.

ibkaye:

Ekiti for life grin
No Kidding, you sef be Omo Ekiti shocked shocked shocked . Na Real wa ooo
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 18, 2010
chic2pimp:

No Kidding, you sef be Omo Ekiti shocked shocked shocked . Na Real wa ooo
Lol no I'm not, but still cheesy
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by chic2pimp(m): 2:44pm On Oct 18, 2010
ibkaye:

Lol no I'm not, but still cheesy
Gerraway from hia jor, nonsense girl grin grin
There I was thinking. . . . . . . . . cheesy cheesy
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 18, 2010
Thinking what? cheesy

grin
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 18, 2010
No mind am, that boy be real ashewo. he was thinking big oyan and idi.
Abeg, Ekiti state adopted ibkaye 10yrs ago tongue
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

No mind am, that boy be real ashewo. he was thinking big oyan and idi.
Abeg, Ekiti state adopted ibkaye 10yrs ago tongue
kiss
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

No mind am, that boy be real ashewo. he was thinking[b] big oyan and idi.[/b]
Abeg, Ekiti state adopted ibkaye 10yrs ago  tongue
Is that bread and butter ? Lol
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Is that bread and butter ? Lol
To chic2pimp, that is gold and diamonds grin grin grin grin
Re: The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

To chic2pimp, that is gold and diamonds grin grin grin grin
I like them too provided they are still new and fresh !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan's Approval Rating / Who Truly Is A Patriotic Nigerian / Reuben Abati Has NOT Resigned. It's A Rumor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.