Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,403 members, 7,850,439 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:16 PM

How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? (4691 Views)

The Religion The Is Practicing What Jesus Taught. / Prayer Points Against The Dream Of Backwardness. / Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:07pm On Aug 07, 2019
CodeTemplar:

@underlined
Mr man look you aren't talking to kid. If you have a point, prove it and stop laying the burden of proving your argument or disproving mine on me. You tell us how Christianity has impeded development or how irreligious folks have out performed their religious counterparts. Simple.

@the bold part, Scientific development is universal indeed but very unequal or uneven. In fact some can't stand any rigorous test of time.. Now you are sounding like what I expected. You shouldn't have tried to twist my words then reply to the twisted version or generalize the phantom achievements of Bini kingdom for all 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria. like you stated, sustained growth indeed brings development, but that in itself is another irrelevant fact because the point of contention here is that religion generally impedes African development or cause Africa's backwardness.

Your point is?

Ignored
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by CodeTemplar: 2:09pm On Aug 07, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

Your point is?

Ignored
Not surprised at all. lol...
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by CodeTemplar: 2:12pm On Aug 07, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

How many times do I need to highlight the problems eating up Africa, Nigeria esp and how your religion - Christianity is one of the root cause?

Slave trading, the death blow that threw Africa into underdevelopment, and colonialism that crippled the growth of African nations are backed up by the bible. The bible instructed his followers to keep slaves and also trade them.

Infanticide has become an endemic in the Southeast Nigeria today. Over 100,000 killed have either been killed or strangled. These innocent kids are accused of been witch. And their killings is carried out by Pastors in accordance with the law of the Bible.

The new age terrorism, has it source in Christian world. Since 1960 till date, over 500,000 have lost their lives to religion crisis and terrorism. Christianity most especially breeds a form of intolerance and social discrimination. All evils are institutionalized in your bible.

Stop making claims emotionally and present factual arguments if they exist to support your outbursts.
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2019
OkCornel:
Why people think that religion is the problem of Nigeria, is because they are oblivious to the fact that both good people and bad people are religious.

When wicked people (be it Christians, Muslims or Traditionalists) commit bad acts, they blame the religion. When good people irrespective of their background do good things, I wonder why critics don't praise the religion of such a person.

I will say this over and again. Take away tribal differences and religion, a wicked and selfish person will still find excuses to continue in wickedness. A good person will still person will still want to do what is right.

Nigeria is where it is because most of its leaders are selfish and wicked. And majority of the followers are not too different, despite the fact that it is a "religious" country...

Fact check: The billions of dollars Nigeria generated from sale of crude oil from 1958 till 2014; an equivalent of one-quarter of that money was what Europe spent to repair its infrastructures after the carnage of the second world war. Now tell me why Nigeria is still backward. Is it religion? or just sheer greed and wickedness...

You are getting things wrong bro. You don't blame the gun for firing and killing person, you blame the trigger puller. Religion captured the minds, and those who develop it used it as a control tool.

Mother Theresa was a good philanthropist. And the world celebrated her and Christianity. However, when Islamic terrorism rises, people heap the blame on radical Islamic doctrines.

People fight and may kill over territories and power, in such case the person will be blamed. But when the action is sparked by an external factor or influence, then we can all blame the bad influence.
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 2:50pm On Aug 07, 2019
frank317:

US is not in anyway religious. Where did u get that from? How many us folks go to church?

Religion is more like a cultural thing in Saudi... Unlike Nigeria where its separated. In fact religion and culture fight each other here.

Again u fail to loom deep and the effect of religion in or country. Why compare it with other countries when each have different ways of doing things?

Look at the percentage below from Google.. A very large percentage in the US is made up of Christians.. You can also check Canada, Australia, Europe and most developed countries, they are dominated largely by Christians or other religious groups (for other countries).. These countries are moving forward and advancing technologically, socially, educationally, politically etc.. But here in Nigeria and Africa, we blame it on Religion..

I will bet with you that if Religion is to be banned in Nigeria, the country will even be worse off because the root of the country's problem is not found in Religion..

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 2:59pm On Aug 07, 2019
OkCornel:
Why people think that religion is the problem of Nigeria, is because they are oblivious to the fact that both good people and bad people are religious.

When wicked people (be it Christians, Muslims or Traditionalists) commit bad acts, they blame the religion. When good people irrespective of their background do good things, I wonder why critics don't praise the religion of such a person.

I will say this over and again. Take away tribal differences and religion, a wicked and selfish person will still find excuses to continue in wickedness. A good person will still person will still want to do what is right.

Nigeria is where it is because most of its leaders are selfish and wicked. And majority of the followers are not too different, despite the fact that it is a "religious" country...

Fact check: The billions of dollars Nigeria generated from sale of crude oil from 1958 till 2014; an equivalent of one-quarter of that money was what Europe spent to repair its infrastructures after the carnage of the second world war. Now tell me why Nigeria is still backward. Is it religion? or just sheer greed and wickedness...

Very true analysis, yet people blame Religion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 3:19pm On Aug 07, 2019
CodeTemplar:

You are clearly not an upright character worthy of exchange of words with even on a faceless forum.
Tell me how does me asking about why Isaac isn't Isa translates to saying or implying that The name Isaac made the character brilliant? Even if it meant you are right, which you aren't, my comment your quoted before the last one clearly shattered that ambiguity or doubt. Here is my comment you initially quoted when accusing me wrongly before replying to it.

Bravo!!

Those against the Christian religion often make researches and begin to draw inference and conclusion from people on the past who are affiliated to Christianity without asking themselves if they were actually doing the will of God..

Some are called Christians but character wise, they are not in anyway following the commandments of Jesus but going after their own selfish will and ambition..

The likes of Folykaze won't make mention of instances where Jesus and His followers healed the sick, raised the dead, delivered people from evil spirits, and every other wonderful thing done..

He said terrorism, hatred, division etc emanated from the Christian religion which are all lies.. We've already had a discussion of that on another thread..

He is asking how Christians have helped in developing Nigeria.. I'll mention a few which I'm sure of.. Some Christian organizations/churches visit the homeless, prisons and orphanage homes with some gift materials to them. They help in rehabilitating the homeless by providing shelter, food, clothing and caring for them. They take the word of God round communities, preaching and healing the sick and doing numerous miracles as the Lord Jesus has empowered us to do. There are some communities without good water system, some Christian organizations have assisted in creating good water systems in many communities here in Nigeria. In some churches today, there are donations made separate used to assist the poor and the needy..

These and many more are ways Christians have helped in developing Nigeria in their own little way; Note that I didn't mention the contributions of Muslims too (one can help us though)..

No you guys saying Religion has been Nigeria's problem should answer this: How have the nonreligious helped in developing Nigeria??
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 3:57pm On Aug 07, 2019
EmperorHarry:
Here's the pitiful IQ representation of countries in 2002..I've been in denial for a while now cos this is disappointing but y'all come here and blame religion not realizing we(as a continent) need to intellectually develop first and with time,religion would evolve into something much better or discarded all together.

The all-round prosperity of said non religious countries is a myopic point of view.Economic,scientific,technological prosperity has nothing to do with religion to a very large extent.The America of today didn't just come about because they became less religious,it was years of development and a need for progress even when they were the most religious.Israel is more technically advanced than USA only with less resources.Saudi Arabia,Qatar,Kuwait all religious countries making a name for themselves with the development encouraged in certain areas and we Africans sit back on our primitive looking nairaland forums(no offence) and play the blame game.I'm sick of it tbh tongue

The problem of Africa is Africans.. We aren't ready to progress as a whole,discarding all tribal,religious, political and personal differences

Thank you
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 4:05pm On Aug 07, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

How many times do I need to highlight the problems eating up Africa, Nigeria esp and how your religion - Christianity is one of the root cause?

Slave trading, the death blow that threw Africa into underdevelopment, and colonialism that crippled the growth of African nations are backed up by the bible. The bible instructed his followers to keep slaves and also trade them.

Infanticide has become an endemic in the Southeast Nigeria today. Over 100,000 killed have either been killed or strangled. These innocent kids are accused of been witch. And their killings is carried out by Pastors in accordance with the law of the Bible.

The new age terrorism, has it source in Christian world. Since 1960 till date, over 500,000 have lost their lives to religion crisis and terrorism. Christianity most especially breeds a form of intolerance and social discrimination. All evils are institutionalized in your bible.

Mr. FolyK, where in the Bible was a child born and commanded to be killed because he/she is a witch?? anyone killing an innocent child in the guise of "suffer not a witch to live" is wicked and shouldn't even be called a Christian.. How was the child confirmed a witch?? Evil spirits are meant to be rebuked and forced out of the bodies they operate in in Jesus' Name not killing the individual possessed thereof.. Did Jesus ever command the killing of anyone possessed of evil spirit? What did Jesus do, he rebuked and sent them out of the body and freed the individual.. So whoever is killing the possessed today instead of delivering such person in Jesus' Name is Satan's incarnate and not a follower of Jesus.

@boldened; how has terrorism stemmed from Christianity?? And how has Christianity created a form of intolerance and social discrimination?? Please bro be honest here, using Nigeria as an example or are you afraid of saying the truth From the 500,000 you mentioned who lost their lives, what percentage of that figure are Christians??
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by adoyi8: 5:30pm On Aug 07, 2019
frank317:

Does mates (the bar) still exist. Na we start that placeoo.... Mark was a pal then... Now he is a big boy.

I left Zaria a while ago, from barracks to mates no far, u should know the place.
I know mates very well. Its still bubbling despite now having competitions
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2019
Makschinchin:

Bravo!!

Those against the Christian religion often make researches and begin to draw inference and conclusion from people on the past who are affiliated to Christianity without asking themselves if they were actually doing the will of God..

Some are called Christians but character wise, they are not in anyway following the commandments of Jesus but going after their own selfish will and ambition..

Here comes the holier than thou part of you. Na online you holy pass and others don't follow the doctrine of Jesus.

The bible instructed Christians to kill witches, and many Christians all across the world killed anyone tagged as witch. The spanish inquisition cost more than 10 million lives, the wholesale massacre of so called witch and pagans was commanded in the bible. Are you telling me the church that carried out the inquisition campaign ain't christians?

The holistic and bloody cleansing is happening in your backdoor. Little children are been killed. When the Pastors are caught, they quote the bible and make the world understand they are carrying out God's commandment.

Didn't your bible asked you not to spare the life of witch? Same bible also gave guidance on how to kill kids in Ps 137:9, Isa 13:16

Makschinchin:

The likes of Folyka won't make mention of instances where Jesus and His followers healed the sick, raised the dead, delivered people from evil spirits, and every other wonderful thing done..

That is it nah, advocate that all hospitals should be closed since your Jesus can heal the sick.

Makschinchin:

He said terrorism, hatred, division etc emanated from the Christian religion which are all lies.. We've already had a discussion of that on another thread..

I don't have the strength of going round and rather expend the energy on something worthy.

You just said my claims are lies, can you tell us the truth?

Makschinchin:
He is asking how Christians have helped in developing Nigeria.. I'll mention a few which I'm sure of.. Some Christian organizations/churches visit the homeless, prisons and orphanage homes with some gift materials to them. They help in rehabilitating the homeless by providing shelter, food, clothing and caring for them. They take the word of God round communities, preaching and healing the sick and doing numerous miracles as the Lord Jesus has empowered us to do. There are some communities without good water system, some Christian organizations have assisted in creating good water systems in many communities here in Nigeria. In some churches today, there are donations made separate used to assist the poor and the needy..

How does these garbage contribute to national development?

Makschinchin:
These and many more are ways Christians have helped in developing Nigeria in their own little way; Note that I didn't mention the contributions of Muslims too (one can help us though)..

Sharing chinchin to kids after extorting their parents doesn't add anything to the economy. Gerrit?

2 Likes

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:53pm On Aug 07, 2019
Makschinchin:

Mr. FolyK, where in the Bible was a child born and commanded to be killed because he/she is a witch?? anyone killing an innocent child in the guise of "suffer not a witch to live" is wicked and shouldn't even be called a Christian.. How was the child confirmed a witch?? Evil spirits are meant to be rebuked and forced out of the bodies they operate in in Jesus' Name not killing the individual possessed thereof.. Did Jesus ever command the killing of anyone possessed of evil spirit? What did Jesus do, he rebuked and sent them out of the body and freed the individual.. So whoever is killing the possessed today instead of delivering such person in Jesus' Name is Satan's incarnate and not a follower of Jesus.

The long story is not needed.

It is fact that churches in the Southeast Nigeria perpetrated in Killing of little children and adult non-Christians. The pastors are simply carrying out massacre in accordance with Exo 22:18. Lev 20:27.

About how they identify they are witch and other garbage you have up there, go and ask those killer pastors and your bible.

Makschinchin:
@boldened; how has terrorism stemmed from Christianity?? And how has Christianity created a form of intolerance and social discrimination?? Please bro be honest here, using Nigeria as an example or are you afraid of saying the truth From the 500,000 you mentioned who lost their lives, what percentage of that figure are Christians??

Yes, Terrorism stemmed from Christianity. The first terrorists were Christians.

The first known terrorist group is Sicarii Zealots of the 1st century. Those who partook in the Gunpowder plot aimed at killing King Game I and members of the Parliament are Christians. They wanted to install church puppet and restore church leadership in the state. The wholesale murdering in Crusades and Inquisition are act of terror. And all these are in accordance with Deut 13:6-10, Deut 13:12-16, Deut 17:2-7 and Lev 20:27.

It is in this Nigeria Rev King burnt human alive. Is he not a Christian or not doing in accordance to the bible?

You are here asking of percentage, I no be dead body counter.
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by OkCornel(m): 9:19pm On Aug 07, 2019
CodeTemplar:
I don't need to read lies and conspiracy theories.

This historical account of Benin empire must be lies and conspiracy too ba?

The first European travelers to reach Benin were Portuguese explorers starting with Joao Afonso de Aveiro [pt] in about 1485. A strong mercantile relationship developed, with the Edo trading slaves and tropical products such as ivory, pepper and palm oil for European goods such as Manilla (money) and guns. In the early 16th century, the Oba sent an ambassador to Lisbon, and the king of Portugal sent Christian missionaries to Benin City. Some residents of Benin City could still speak a pidgin Portuguese in the late 19th century.

The first English expedition to Benin was in 1553, and significant trading developed between England and Benin based on the export of ivory, palm oil, pepper, and slaves. Visitors in the 16th and 19th centuries brought back to Europe tales of "Great Benin", a fabulous city of noble buildings, ruled over by a powerful king. However, the Oba began to suspect Britain of larger colonial designs and ceased communications with the British until the British Expedition in 1896-97 when British troops captured, burned, and looted Benin City as part of a punitive mission, which brought the kingdom to an end

A 17th-century Dutch engraving from Olfert Dapper's Nauwkeurige Beschrijvinge der Afrikaansche Gewesten, published in Amsterdam in 1668 says:

The king's palace or court is a square, and is as large as the town of Haarlem (in Netherlands) and entirely surrounded by a special wall, like that which encircles the town. It is divided into many magnificent palaces, houses, and apartments of the courtiers, and comprises beautiful and long square galleries, about as large as the Exchange at Amsterdam, but one larger than another, resting on wooden pillars, from top to bottom covered with cast copper, on which are engraved the pictures of their war exploits and battles...

Another Dutch traveler was David van Nyendael, who in 1699 wrote an eye-witness account.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Benin

Let me even expand this further, if Africa was so backward, have you ever heard of Mansa Musa, the greatest king of the Malian Empire? Was that empire backward too?
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by OkCornel(m): 9:23pm On Aug 07, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

It is fact that churches in the Southeast Nigeria perpetrated in Killing of little children and adult non-Christians. The pastors are simply carrying out massacre in accordance with Exo 22:18. Lev 20:27.

About how they identify they are witch and other garbage you have up there, go and ask those killer pastors and your bible.

The first known terrorist group is Sicarii Zealots of the 1st century. Those who partook in the Gunpowder plot aimed at killing King Game I and members of the Parliament are Christians. They wanted to install church puppet and restore church leadership in the state. The wholesale murdering in Crusades and Inquisition are act of terror. And all these are in accordance with Deut 13:6-10, Deut 13:12-16, Deut 17:2-7 and Lev 20:27.

It is in this Nigeria Rev King burnt human alive. Is he not a Christian or not doing in accordance to the bible?

Bro, bad people do bad things and would use anything (religion inclusive) as an excuse to justify themselves.
Even our traditional forefathers in Africa fought wars among themselves and killed one another. Do you agree or disagree?
Would you blame their traditional beliefs for such killings?
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 07, 2019
Makschinchin:
I've heard this statement over and over again that religion is the cause of backwardness in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. I've tried so many times to picture if there is any truth in this, but I keep missing it. These days, people don't consider bad leadership in the country as a problem and result of present negative circumstances which we face, but blame it all on RELIGION!! And when you tell them to explain, 90% of them begin to throw tantrums at Church goers and Christians in general sad sad

If you are one of those who keep saying that religion is the cause of the problem, please come on in and tell us how.. The comment box is also opened to those who think otherwise..

Remain Blessed kiss

The problem started thousands of years back, it's about LOYALTY. From the beginning Satan turned Adam and Eve away from God so that they can be loyal to him NOT God!
Ever since then most people are trying to play God as they demand 100% loyalty from their fellow man but they themselves aren't loyal to anyone!
Africans are known for loyalty because we focus on whatever agreement we make with a trusted friend, whitemen came and changed our orientation from loyalty to infidelity. They used what they had {technological advancements} to take away our brains.

Of course many will blame religion thinking that the white man brought religion, but that's a big lie. Because blacks had our shrines and priests here before the whiteman came with the Bible! There's no other way to define what our people were practicing back then if not RELIGION!

So where exactly did we derail?

It's by accepting that God who only intervenes in disputes and criminal cases must now become partial! Most priests now teach people that it's only those serving God that will gain wealth!

Whereas there is nothing that concerns God with whatever you possess, whatever you get happened by chance and circumstances! Ecclesiastes 9:11

This degenerated into so many crisis, and all our people are now focusing on pursuit of possessions. The priests are worsening the matter as they keep promoting greed amongst our people, telling them God is not poor,so if you're poor then you're not on God's side! This made everyone greedy and selfish, even those who are taking the lead were carried away with the new trend. So that some now think it's either the leaders or religion that should be blamed, but the real problem begins in every home. We must make our people realize that future isn't predestined by God because he made his rain and sunshine for everyone!
Matthew 5:45

God bless you!
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by frank317: 10:08pm On Aug 07, 2019
Makschinchin:

Look at the percentage below from Google.. A very large percentage in the US is made up of Christians.. You can also check Canada, Australia, Europe and most developed countries, they are dominated largely by Christians or other religious groups (for other countries).. These countries are moving forward and advancing technologically, socially, educationally, politically etc.. But here in Nigeria and Africa, we blame it on Religion..

I will bet with you that if Religion is to be banned in Nigeria, the country will even be worse off because the root of the country's problem is not found in Religion..

Did u even read my reasons why religion is part of Nigeria's problem? Or u just ignored it even after it answers ur question. U did not even respond to the post. Smh

Like I said... Religion is not Nigeria's only problem its one of them. A country as USA is moving forward because they have broken the barriers u Nigerian religionists have refused to break. They are free thinkers, live and let live, accept people for what they are and say that's what God wants (gays for example).

U guys watch big brother naija and call on the country to repent or face doom. How many Christians i n USA will do that? There is nudity every where in ur so called religious USA... Pls.

If u take religion out if naija, there is probability it will only forward a little space, because we still have other problems apart from religion holding us back, but it will be a step forward.

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:31pm On Aug 07, 2019
OkCornel:

Bro, bad people do bad things and would use anything (religion inclusive) as an excuse to justify themselves.
Even our traditional forefathers in Africa fought wars among themselves and killed one another. Do you agree or disagree?
Would you blame their traditional beliefs for such killings?

Show us the verse from Odu that advocate killing.

Let me help you with a secret. Orunmila is the deity of wisdom, a hero God. Aje are witches, a villian. Could you imagine that Orunmila marries one of the Aje. Odu is one of the Eleye. Yoruba spirituality has no enemy clause that you which should die. The moral of the discussion is tolerance. That is why you find Babalawo can marry Muslim and Christian without issue. That is Yoruba spirit, African spirit. Tolerance, peace and harmony. In such case, one can't blame the religion.

However, the case in Christianity is evil. Fathom enemy is created here and there. You wish them everything bad, death and hell. When that is not enough, you kill them. Tell me, why did your God has to kill his son to appease himself instead of just forgiving Satan?
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 10:33pm On Aug 07, 2019
Maximus69:

The problem started thousands of years back, it's about LOYALTY. From the beginning Satan turned Adam and Eve away from God so that they can be loyal to him NOT God!
Ever since then most people are trying to play God as they demand 100% loyalty from their fellow man but they themselves aren't loyal to anyone!
Africans are known for loyalty because we focus on whatever agreement we make with a trusted friend, whitemen came and changed our orientation from loyalty to infidelity. They used what they had {technological advancements} to take away our brains.

Of course many will blame religion thinking that the white man brought religion, but that's a big lie. Because blacks had our shrines and priests here before the whiteman came with the Bible! There's no other way to define what our people were practicing back then if not RELIGION!

So where exactly did we derail?

It's by accepting that God who only intervenes in disputes and criminal cases must now become partial! Most priests now teach people that it's only those serving God that will gain wealth!

Whereas there is nothing that concerns God with whatever you possess, whatever you get happened by chance and circumstances! Ecclesiastes 9:11

This degenerated into so many crisis, and all our people are now focusing on pursuit of possessions. The priests are worsening the matter as they keep promoting greed amongst our people, telling them God is not poor,so if you're poor then you're not on God's side! This made everyone greedy and selfish, even those who are taking the lead were carried away with the new trend. So that some now think it's either the leaders or religion that should be blamed, but the real problem begins in every home. We must make our people realize that future isn't predestined by God because he made his rain and sunshine for everyone!
Matthew 5:45

God bless you!

Thank you for your input
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by OkCornel(m): 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

Show us the verse from Odu that advocate killing.

Let me help you with a secret. Orunmila is the deity of wisdom, a hero God. Aje are witches, a villian. Could you imagine that Orunmila marries one of the Aje. Odu is one of the Eleye. Yoruba spirituality has no enemy clause that you which should die. The moral of the discussion is tolerance. That is why you find Babalawo can marry Muslim and Christian without issue. That is Yoruba spirit, African spirit. Tolerance, peace and harmony. In such case, one can't blame the religion.

However, the case in Christianity is evil. Fathom enemy is created here and there. You wish them everything bad, death and hell. When that is not enough, you kill them. Tell me, why did your God has to kill his son to appease himself instead of just forgiving Satan?

Well, you might also want to show us a verse where Jesus encouraged his followers to kill their enemies. Unless you're mixing up Christianity for Judaism.

Okay, let me even assume traditional beliefs do not permit killings and human sacrifices... Let me further assume that even your Odu and other Yoruba gods never permitted killings
... Did it stop the Yorubas from fighting wars and killing one another in ancient times?

A person that wants to be wicked will be wicked, religion or no religion...

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:50pm On Aug 07, 2019
OkCornel:

Well, you might also want to show us a verse where Jesus encouraged his followers to kill their enemies. Unless you're mixing up Christianity for Judaism.

Okay, let me even assume traditional beliefs do not permit killings and human sacrifices... Let me further assume that even your Odu and other Yoruba gods never permitted killings
... Did it stop the Yorubas from fighting wars and killing one another in ancient times?

A person that wants to be wicked will be wicked, religion or no religion...

Oh, it is now Judaism, not old testament.

Wars are more political than religion. A fight for power and territory has nothing to do with religion. If the cause is religious, then religion should be blame.

Rampage killing of innocent souls in the name of not worshipping your God is bad. It is on this forum you guys will spread hatred against JW, Catholic and other Christian sects. No love found. The same division is happening out there. How many times did you find Sango adherent insulting adherent of Ogun? Love bounds all.

Cheers
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by OkCornel(m): 11:08pm On Aug 07, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

Oh, it is now Judaism, not old testament.

Wars are more political than religion. A fight for power and territory has nothing to do with religion. If the cause is religious, then religion should be blame.

Rampage killing of innocent souls in the name of not worshipping your God is bad. It is on this forum you guys will spread hatred against JW, Catholic and other Christian sects. No love found. The same division is happening out there. How many times did you find Sango adherent insulting adherent of Ogun? Love bounds all.

Cheers

Old testament is Judaism, unless you want to tell us Moses, Aaron, David, Isaiah are Christians.

Show us where Jesus ordered His followers to slaughter their enemies.

You made a valid point on Christians fighting shamelessly on nairaland, even the Muslims have hatred amongst themselves, Sunni vs Shia for example. I'm not sure if they fight themselves on nairaland too...

As for Yoruba traditional beliefs, is it not the believers in the gods that still fought and killed themselves in ancient communal clashes and wars? Perhaps they fought amongst themselves with the belief that their gods have empowered them to do so... isn't it? Should the traditional belief share in the blame too?

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 12:22am On Aug 08, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

I asked a some question, where in the Scripture did Jesus command that anyone possessed with an evil spirit should be killed.. Definitely Nowhere!!

You know we don't live by old testament laws anymore, they have been done away with through the Blood of Jesus Christ. So I ask again, show me a Bible passage where Jesus or His disciples killed a witch or demon possessed?? Why not proclaim loudly how He and His disciples rebuked these unclean spirits and cast them out of the bodies they dwell in. This same power He has given to us today, and not to kill the individual who is possessed!!

You won't answer the percentage question I asked you because you know that the majority who were killed were Christians.. Lol.

Again, I read in one of your posts where you mentioned that God should have forgiven Satan, like seriously I think the question you should consider first is if this Satan (the originator of sin and reason for the world's present predicament) had ever asked for forgiveness?? You guys always end up trying to sympathetically defend Satan, making him look like a "good guy" whom he's not and will never be. He already knows he is condemned.. Too bad he is enticing many into same condemnation unawares to them.

May God help us all, Amen.
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:38pm On Aug 08, 2019
OkCornel:

Old testament is Judaism, unless you want to tell us Moses, Aaron, David, Isaiah are Christians.

Show us where Jesus ordered His followers to slaughter their enemies.

You made a valid point on Christians fighting shamelessly on nairaland, even the Muslims have hatred amongst themselves, Sunni vs Shia for example. I'm not sure if they fight themselves on nairaland too...

As for Yoruba traditional beliefs, is it not the believers in the gods that still fought and killed themselves in ancient communal clashes and wars? Perhaps they fought amongst themselves with the belief that their gods have empowered them to do so... isn't it? Should the traditional belief share in the blame too?

Another twist, old testament is Judaism. Is it that you and Makschinchin do not know there is a scripture called TORAH in judaism? No, you wouldn't know and shamelessly reject Old Testament because the contents are embarrassing to you. Isn't it? But hey, I learnt that 'all scriptures is an inspiration from God' and 'not a single book should be removed or added'. So why are you denying an inspiration from God, and also throwing out word of God?

Moses, Aaron, David, Isaiah and other prophet of God. Didn't three of these prophet showed up at the transfiguration? Moses received the commandment from God and passed it to Israelites. Jesus also was directed by God, to Israelites. If one should go by your logic, Christians should go about stealing because it is Moses' law, Jesus was silent on stealing.

In Luke 19:27 is the verse used by Sicarii Zealots. That verse set ground for terrorism. They are direct words from Jesus. What moral lesson did Jesus teach in Luke 19:27? Jesus' moral parable explains to you that if you don't allow Jesus Christ to be your King, authority, ruler, over you, you are to be slain. Jesus' parallel lesson in Luke 19:27 is: If you don't accept Jesus Christ as your savior, you will suffer eternal torment. What moral lessons! What an monster and evil tyrant. There is no indication of religious freedom here. There is no possibility of forgiveness, mercy, or tolerance towards those with different beliefs. Instead, we have a " show them no mercy " type of policy as in Deuteronomy 7:1-2.

Pope Urban backed his wholesale massacre campaign with Matthew 10:34-35. There was chaos and rampaging violence in the England. That Crusade took life of over 10 million souls. Jesus could be as peaceful as Jains but he proclaimed that he isn't here for peace, with non believers.

Deut 13:6-10, Deut 13:12-16, Deut 17:2-7 and Lev 20:27 are all commandment of God. It is embarrassing, choke on it.

I need to add, the Gods in Yoruba are serving human, not the way its found in Christianity. There is this saying, eni yara ni ogun n gbe (Ogun support the swift). Ogun is the God of war, and represent Iron. The saying implies that in a fist, the smartest and fastest would have winning advantage with support of Ogun. This makes Ogun the tool in your hand, and it serves you. Another saying goes thus: orisa bi o le gbe mi, fimile bi n se wa (Orisa if you can't support me, just me alone). Another one: orĂ­ l'aba bo aba fi Orisa sile, tori nigba ti Aisan gbe ni de, Ori nikan lo kun funni (Only Ori should be appeased, Orisa should be rejected because when sickness knock one's down, only Ori stood by our side).

The three Ifa words shows that Orisa is to serve human, not the other way round as it is found in Christianity. And you have the right to choose and reject any of the Divinity with no repercussion. You may choose four or two orisas, you may reject all Orisas or face another religion outside Yoruba spirituality. There is no harm, no threat of eternal punishment.

In Christianity, you are a servant or slave of Jesus. Most importantly, you are a sheep (dullard) who should serve the Shepherd. Jesus his your master. And the servant or sheep or slave should follow the commandment of the master. Not so doing, you are going to be punished or cursed.

In Orisa system, the Deities are to serve human. Though they are powerful and should be appeased for more blessings. There is no servant-master relationship between Awo and Orisa. As a matter of fact, the Orisas should be commanded by you and sent on errand as you please. While they serve you, you must nurture them.

With the cases above, the tool is the Orisa and wouldn't be blamed for your action that is your own doing. In Christianity, you served the commandment of Jesus to the last letter, you are the tool and Jesus should be blamed for making you a bad person
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:48pm On Aug 08, 2019
Makschinchin:

I asked a some question, where in the Scripture did Jesus command that anyone possessed with an evil spirit should be killed.. Definitely Nowhere!!

What has been possessed by evil spirit got to do with witchery?

I never said anyone killed children because they are possessed. Those Pastors killed them because they are witch.

Makschinchin:

You know we don't live by old testament laws anymore, they have been done away with through the Blood of Jesus Christ. So I ask again, show me a Bible passage where Jesus or His disciples killed a witch or demon possessed?? Why not proclaim loudly how He and His disciples rebuked these unclean spirits and cast them out of the bodies they dwell in. This same power He has given to us today, and not to kill the individual who is possessed!!

He commanded them to kill his enemy in luke 19:27

Makschinchin:

You won't answer the percentage question I asked you because you know that the majority who were killed were Christians.. Lol.

The percentage doesn't invalidate the killings. It is fact that children are been killed in thousands in SE.

Makschinchin:

Again, I read in one of your posts where you mentioned that God should have forgiven Satan, like seriously I think the question you should consider first is if this Satan (the originator of sin and reason for the world's present predicament) had ever asked for forgiveness?? You guys always end up trying to sympathetically defend Satan, making him look like a "good guy" whom he's not and will never be. He already knows he is condemned.. Too bad he is enticing many into same condemnation unawares to them.

May God help us all, Amen.

A Good and lovely Father forgives unconditionally.. You are only depicting your God as unforgiving evil monster.

As a father myself, I don't wait for my son to ask for forgiveness because I forgive him his wrongs. That is called compassion and true love.
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Makschinchin: 5:34pm On Aug 08, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

I never said anyone killed children because they are possessed. Those Pastors killed them because they are witch.

The percentage doesn't invalidate the killings. It is fact that children are been killed in thousands in SE.

A Good and lovely Father forgives unconditionally.. You are only depicting your God as unforgiving evil monster.

As a father myself, I don't wait for my son to ask for forgiveness because I forgive him his wrongs. That is called compassion and true love.

For me, being a witch or being demon-possessed falls under same category. They are both satanic.

You are pointing Luke 19:27 where Jesus spoke a parable.. Why not compare same Scriptural passage with Matthew 18:8-9 where Jesus talked about cutting your hand or plucking off your eye than allowing your whole body perish in hell..

Our God is indeed a loving Father no doubt. But for the issue of Satan, I'll leave that to Him. Bro, I believe it is easier for an atheist to be forgiven than for Satan (the originator of sin) to be forgiven. Satan knew God so well from the beginning and enjoyed the perfect state of the Kingdom of God but still decided to let pride take a hold of him and seek the throne of God..

Even when it was decided that Satan could no longer remain in Heaven, God Almighty did not destroy Satan. Had Satan been immediately blotted from existence, the inhabitants of Heaven would have served God from fear rather than from love.

Satan's agents seek to deceive Christ's followers and entice them from their allegiance. These agents of Satan pervert Scripture to accomplish their object (as seen clearly happening these days).

Satan is a vigilant foe who is intruding his presence in every household, churches, councils, even forums like Nairaland, deceiving and seducing people, everywhere ruining the souls and bodies of men women and children. He breaks families, sowing hatred, strife, sedition and murder. And the world seems to regard these things as though God had appointed them and they must exist. All who are not decided followers of Christ are servants of Satan.

What some people don't know is that the devil has no power to control the will or force the soul to sin. He can cause distress but not defilement. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death (James 1:14-15)

Bro FolyK, from your knowledge of the Bible, I believe you also know so well about the history of the fallen angel, Satan. I just had to give the analysis above for those who don't and still wonder why Satan can't be forgiven.. He is such a rebellious fellow and wouldn't ask for the forgiveness of God. He rather chose to form his own kingdom with other fallen angels and rebel against the Almighty God causing havoc here on earth (Isaiah 14:12-15; Rev 12:7-10). I really pity all those whom have freely yielded themselves to Satan for his evil works.. Only time will tell...
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by shadeyinka(m): 7:52pm On Aug 08, 2019
blizard44:
Now.
I think I should go serious on this.

In Nigeria for example , religion cloud the heads of their believers not to think beyond their nose.

Nigerian Christians and Muslims alike believe whatever leadership in their country is instituted by god irrespective of how they emerge and shouldn't be questioned ; thereby giving these plunderers free will in their reign of terror over the country.

Nigeria religionists would rather give all they have to their pastors rather than fund research , charity and every noble course that uplifts humanity from poverty and strife.

They'd rather the Pastor have their tithe than raise the pay of their pauperized Gatekeeper .

Religion have kept us from making the right legislation and choices as some otherwise noble policies transcends on lines of redundant religious believes.

Boko Haram is currently killing for Religion.
Jos will still burn if someone cuss at Mohammed in faraway Scandinavia.
Igbo shops would be looted in Zamfara if they dare eat when others are fasting.

People are still lynch for their sexual convictions because they are regarded as religious abberations.

Evils are condoned because they are perpetrated by people of our own religious convictions.

It is Religion that makes us see Amaechi as a Thief and Tinubu - A saint.

We can start from here.
With due respect, you have an extreme myopic view of religion and the cause of our backwardness in Nigeria (and black Africa as an extension).

1. How many BLACK Nobel Prize winners in the Sciences exist in the whole world? Is this because of religion?
2. How come no notable scientific inventions can be traced to African especially the Negroid race? Could this be as a result of religion?
3. How come mortar and pestle has not recieved any major innovation from the days of our forefather? (The first commercial electric yam pounder was made by National- not an African country?
4. Show me a black West African culture that used WHEELS as a means to aid transportation before the advent of the Europeans and Arabs? Was this because of religion?
5. Was it religion that made a handful of Europeans conquer the whole of West, East and South Africa?
6. Was it religion that made black people sell their fellow blacks to white slave traders?
7. Nigeria has crude oil yet we can neither prospect nor drill, nor mine nor refine the crude oil into petrol/diesel fuel?
8. Nigeria cannot provide 20% of her electric power needs even as we speak: and you think the problem is religion!?
9. Insecurity has taken over the nation (Evans case comes to mind) and you think it is religion!?
10. Ajaokuta steel industry is in comatose despite the Billions sunk into it. And you think the problem was caused by the United activities of CAN and MURIC!?

If you can provide a proof that any of these problems are from Christians, Muslims or ATR adherents, then you win. Otherwise, you have solid evidence that the rhetorics you have assumed is completely misplaced.

We know the sources of our problem and those same problems plague our religious organizations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by shadeyinka(m): 9:05pm On Aug 08, 2019
earthsync:
Because it blocks people from thinking.
Like it blocked the British sense of reasoning when their empire conquered almost half of the whole world. I believe you've heard of the British empire. FYI, they were 99.9% Christians at that time.

The United States of America became a superpower during the second world war 1942-1945 and created the Atomic Bombs and flew to the Moon when they were at least 90% Christian nation.

Germany was the Greatest technological hub of the world between WW1 and WW2 when they were at least 85% Christians. Religion didn't block their brains!

India and Pakistan are both predominantly Hindus and Muslims respectively and yet they both developed the atomic bombs and were able to put satellites in space. How come religion didn't block their brains!? Pakistan is at least 98% Muslims and India 80% Hindus and 14% Muslims.

Nigeria will become free when you understand the true nature of our problems
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by shadeyinka(m): 9:09pm On Aug 08, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

Do you truly believe that all of God's human Creations are His children?
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by shadeyinka(m): 9:23pm On Aug 08, 2019
frank317:

Did u even read my reasons why religion is part of Nigeria's problem? Or u just ignored it even after it answers ur question. U did not even respond to the post. Smh

Like I said... Religion is not Nigeria's only problem its one of them. A country as USA is moving forward because they have broken the barriers u Nigerian religionists have refused to break. They are free thinkers, live and let live, accept people for what they are and say that's what God wants (gays for example).

U guys watch big brother naija and call on the country to repent or face doom. How many Christians i n USA will do that? There is nudity every where in ur so called religious USA... Pls.

If u take religion out if naija, there is probability it will only forward a little space, because we still have other problems apart from religion holding us back, but it will be a step forward.
If I get you well,
"If religion is abolished in Nigeria, suddenly.."
1. Tribalism will disappear
2. Corruption will cease
3. Elections will favour technocrats and not Buffons
4. Suddenly, electric power generation will become 69GW
5. Our oil refineries will begin to produce refined oils even for export
6. Our education and health institutions will become one of the best in the world

I am amazed: all these for closing down all churches, mosques and "Atheist worship centers"!
HOW?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 08, 2019
The only way forward is discipline!

All those countries Africans are envying have had their own woes in the past, all of them have had times of Civil Wars due to rules that's not in favour of the masses.
Their elites tried to keep them in the dark but they managed to come out and everything turned sour costing the lives of millions.
Today, they've passed this stage after repeated killings of their numerous oppressors they have to come together on a round table to set due prerogatives, so that those who have the chance to be at the top already knew their limits!
Africans always allow those at the top to have their ways even at the detriment of the majority, the western world also want to remain in control by using our own people to continue enslaving us, that's why most of our youths run over there only to take up jobs that they'll never attempt back home due to the power of their currency, the westerners will give it all to make sure that their currencies worth much more, they set rules on how power should be shared so that nobody can stay longer than their monitoring spirit even if such a leader is giving his people the best, all our politicians are aware of this that's why they'll change immediately they get there. It's not all of them that are heartless as most people think, but after getting there and seeing they can't beat the system they just surrender and join the trend!

And any African leader whose agendas is navigating towards breaking free from this usual shackles is brought down by all means!

Remember Gaddafi!

African has been relegated to a place where slaves could be bought and they're still using our own people to monitor what we eat, wear and where we sleep. So that by the end of the day if you're tired of the standard of living obtainable in your country you'll be forced to come over and slave for them, they'll also make sure that whatever you're making will never be enough for you or your progenies back home to break free from the bondage so that their children will continue to enslave your own children. Our politicians are aware of all these, therefore don't expect any miracle from them until they kingdom come!

So it's really difficult for Africans to break free from this modern day slavery!
Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by OkCornel(m): 9:26am On Aug 23, 2019
I think we should also blame religion for the picture below too ba?

A bad person will continue to act in his or her selfish and wicked ways no matter how many church programs or visits to Mecca such a person engages in.

Blaming religion for someone's selfish, inept nature is a joke in itself. I have my issues with religion as well, but concerning Nigeria's backwardness, forget it. Even in the slave trade era, which religion motivated selfish rulers and traders in engaging in slave trade?

We should also blame religion for Nigerian scammers doing great wonders in US, Canada and Europe abi? Mtcheeew

https://www.nairaland.com/5377022/nigerian-man-sentenced-prison-8.3m

https://www.nairaland.com/5376696/5-million-emails-sent-10

Abegi jare...

Re: How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? by GeeBeeWillie(m): 10:44pm On Jun 28, 2020
This topic establisher seems to have accepted that there is already but focussing or having concenstration on the causes of what has been considered in existence. Religon is a phenomeno of socio and spiritual colaboration resolting into God worship. So religon stand out for dialogue but stereotyp, anger, miss-understanding, wrong interpreatation of religous belief and religous intolerance are causes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Brazilian Pastor Convinced Followers His Penis Contained HOLY MILK. Now Arrested / Prophetic Word For You Today / Catholic Bishop Of Aba Diocese Most Rev Vincent Ezeonyia Passes On.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 195
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.