Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,586 members, 7,958,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:54 AM

Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In (14095 Views)

My Terrible Boss And Work Experience. Boss using charm(share Yours) / Drop That Harsh Thing In Your Mind, You Wish You Can Email To A Boss Or Client B / I Have A Terrible Boss, I Am At Verge Of Loosing It... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Pataricatering(f): 7:04pm On Aug 05, 2019
I knew this nonsense was coming - male bosses are also extremely terrible - plenty stories from sexual harassment to just outright ego and cruelty !
Fidelismaria:
Female bosses are terrible set of people

4 Likes

Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Immaculate090: 7:15pm On Aug 05, 2019
Sirmuel1:
If the work is okay and the pay is good, please ignore whoever the Boss is. Your own is to work and get paid, not to make friends. cheesy

Stick to the job, be honest with her and other colleagues and put God first in everything, that means be prayerful..

With the above , she will be your good friend, if not your best friend later..
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by mank1234(m): 8:17pm On Aug 05, 2019
See as subordinates are forming saints and ranting up and down.

You all need:
Managing your boss
Conflict resolution
How to say 'No' without offending the boss
Emotional intelligence
It takes two to agree
Influence
Managing from the bottom

The problem might be you and not your boss. Every boss always have those they get along well and not necessarily the yes followers.

1 Like

Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Nifemi2020(m): 9:00pm On Aug 05, 2019
Please help me to read this to the end. Thanks

I work as a private driver to a young lady.
I stated working with her on May this year and due to the agreement and job description, she said anytime she wants to go out, she will call me an hour before so that I can get the car ready. She said she's not the type who goes out regularly so I can just sit at home and whenever she needs me she will call me. I was so happy cos I think the work is not stressful, and the pay is 40k.

A month later, she said I will start taking her Mom to work everyday and bring the car back home so that whenever she wants to go out, she can make use of the car. I started resuming by 8am everyday, including Saturdays.

On first week in June, she said I will start taking them to Church on Sundays, in which am also a Protocol in my church, I summoned courage and started taking her to church every Sunday.

My People last month first Friday, she said am taking her to night vigil, I said no problem, after the vigil I will drive them back home early in the morning rush home to take my bath and change my cloth, then rush back to work, which means am working for her everyday whole heatedly.

Yesterday was Sunday, and I work up very late around 7am. Before I rushed down to her house, she had already gone to church. Her Brother said she left early. Later on Sunday night, she sent me a message saying how dare me comes to work late on Sunday that she had to drive herself to Church so therefore my punishment is that i should stay at home for 10 good days for her to decide if I should come back to work for her or not.

Am emotionally down right now, cos am presently at work waiting for her to come down from her room since 8am.

Please help me boost my moral.
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by pocohantas(f): 9:02pm On Aug 05, 2019
LaurelP:
I don't know why women usually make terrible bosses. They will bring their personal life problems to work, frustrate your life and make you become a bitter frustrated person.

If you are not careful you will break down emotionally and even health wise. I am currently working with one and it's been hell.

I have always worked with men all my life, then one devil touched my boss and he sent me to work with a woman, a mannerless, untrained, uncultured one for that matter.

For the first time in my life I started contemplating resigning from my job. Just pray you don't get a female boss. Your life will never remain the same.

I pray to have a female boss like my former.

I don't pray to have a boss like my current male one. I don't even wish it on my enemy.

The exact reason I make sure I frustrate him is because I know if he were a female, people wouldn't make excuses for "her". Before I resign, he will resign first. grin

I pray for a good boss.

1 Like

Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Ajibade123(m): 10:16pm On Aug 05, 2019
see how you can apologize to your colleagues and bosses in your workplace in a professional manner
https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-apologize-for-a-mistake-professionally/
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by MVLOX(m): 10:46pm On Aug 05, 2019
IMASTEX:
The problem always start, when your employers/colleagues noticed that your salary is your oxygen. The best way out is to develop yourself more, be smart & creative enough to have an alternative income channel(s). Which could be online or offline as applicable. This will give you the boldness to do what is right without fear. At least, it will help you in a society where laws, policies, are almost dead even in a private sector. Thanks to political connects.

Meanwhile, the overall solution is to be your own boss. We are into snail farming. We offer training/mentorship online & offline for existing & intending snail farmers. We sale various sizes of snails for different purposes.

Call/WhatsApp: Zero-8053363999.

Wise words...

1 Like

Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Useku(m): 5:20am On Aug 06, 2019
If the coy is a cooperate organization, there will be set of documented codes of conduct signed yearly by all staff at all levels.

This document is binding on all staff members no matter your level in the coy.

You cannot be nailed by even the meanest boss if you don't flout any of the codes cuz disciplinary actions like query,notice of non compliance,warning letter etal must carry the offence and evidence that you breached a code.

So don't be a sissy, do your job well,cover up your tracks, ensure no loop holes and PUT YOUR FEET DOWN.Always document all your correspondences via mail and ensure you are not intimidated .

I have been there twice

The male mean boss was ordered by his own boss to promote me and he did cuz I was always on my A game.

The female boss aka Margret Thatcher fell and got laid.

In summary be your best avoid loop holes,let them see that you don't get intimidated and ultimately watch and pray.

Otan.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by HenryThegreat1(m): 5:25am On Aug 06, 2019
My boss is a male and he is the most stupid and nonsense human being I ever know.
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Draxy(m): 6:14am On Aug 06, 2019
Start your own import business, so she owuldnt have any edge over you. Soon she will see you growing big in money and not have any option than to cozzy up with you. You can start with as little as N50k... Hit me up for more detail if intrested.
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Mhizluchi(f): 9:08am On Aug 06, 2019
I just need an advice on what to do, the problem with my boss is.. he gets angry easily and he can keep malice for weeks. A sealed package came in for him,he told me to keep it coz he travelled. When he came back, I handed it over to him, he got angry that the document has passed it's submission date that means it's belated. He was furious asking me why I didn't open it and know it's content, I told him I didn't know since no instruction was given, I assumed it was confidential. He was really pissed and has been avoiding me since then.
So my question is, would you have opened the package if you were in my position?? Secondly, what kind of part time business can I start with 100k? I don't feel safe in the job anymore
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Daradared2(f): 9:34am On Aug 06, 2019
[quote author=pocohantas post=80967242]You just described my boss.

I dey give am back as e dey hot.

Now he doesn't bring his nonsense to my side. Whenever he is going out of line, I give him another dosage of his medicine.
[color=#006600][/color] ;

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Daradared2(f): 9:36am On Aug 06, 2019
Like say u be me. That's the way to gooo!

grin grin grin grin grin

[quote author=pocohantas post=80967242]You just described my boss.

I dey give am back as e dey hot.

Now he doesn't bring his nonsense to my side. Whenever he is going out of line, I give him another dosage of his medicine.
[color=#006600][/color] ;

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Daradared2(f): 9:44am On Aug 06, 2019
don't leave the company, its part of challenges, u face it. follow the rules to the fullest, forget abot her and do your job. In the process of staying, start looking for alternative.
these kind of people are everywhere, some will even set a trap for you. Just prepare your mind.

Its a challenge, face it, its makes you stronger!

ednut1:
nonsense it will keep you tied down to your doom. my friend did this till she was sacked. 5 months later she got a better job in an international firm with bosses that will invite you to drink coffee with them. i told her then to resign she no hear cos of fear of unknown. its better to leave than to be sacked.
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by ednut1(m): 9:53am On Aug 06, 2019
Daradared2:

don't leave the company, its part of challenges, u face it. follow the rules to the fullest, forget abot her and do your job. In the process of staying, start looking for alternative.
these kind of people are everywhere, some will even set a trap for you. Just prepare your mind.

Its a challenge, face it, its makes you stronger!

nonsense, it kills you overtime
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Daradared2(f): 9:56am On Aug 06, 2019
bokunrawo:
Unemployment is a terrible plague affecting most Nigerian citizens , nevertheless the employed citizens are in face with several issues, basic among them is the problem of a terrible boss or colleague . Let me share my story...

I got employed in x company in the month of June, which has it headquaters in Lagos state , this company is quite a lovely and good. I was posted to the company's branch in one of the cities in Nigeria.

The issue i am having is my female colleauge who is married , she has been with the company for four years which gives her an edge in experience , i was actually employed to be her partner because our positions are the same (Business Developer) , although she is the team lead of my branch.

This woman is egoistic,proud,domineering and a bully which is against the company policy, this woman behaves in an unquestionable way because her brother is one of the top 3 head of the company .

This attitude of her's has really been a source of depression to me. This thread is soley created to encourage and advice people with similar situations , this advice can be given by people who have gone through this situation before.

This thread is a daily update on what people go through at work and ways which this hazards can be sabotaged.

I Declare this thread open

Just forget abot her, (i.e don't get emotion abot her behavior) assume she just part of the furniture in the company. Do your work, follow the company's policies to the fullest with that she cant hold you down with anything.

People like her are everywhere, some will even set a trap for you, just prepare your mind. So, its a challenge, face it, its will make stronger!
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Daradared2(f): 10:05am On Aug 06, 2019
.....so, if you have challenge in life, the best thing is to quit?

You face it!

ednut1:
nonsense, it kills you overtime
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by ednut1(m): 10:15am On Aug 06, 2019
Daradared2:
.....so, if you have challenge in life, the best thing is to quit?

You face it!

the reason people do shit is because they know most won't stand up to them. Unlike you i will stand up to that evil boss and leave. Watch how they will beg u. Stay in an abusive or toxic work place is detrimental to you health. Only losers stay put

2 Likes

Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by drmikeadams(m): 12:08pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nifemi2020:
Please help me to read this to the end. Thanks

I work as a private driver to a young lady.
I stated working with her on May this year and due to the agreement and job description, she said anytime she wants to go out, she will call me an hour before so that I can get the car ready. She said she's not the type who goes out regularly so I can just sit at home and whenever she needs me she will call me. I was so happy cos I think the work is not stressful, and the pay is 40k.

A month later, she said I will start taking her Mom to work everyday and bring the car back home so that whenever she wants to go out, she can make use of the car. I started resuming by 8am everyday, including Saturdays.

On first week in June, she said I will start taking them to Church on Sundays, in which am also a Protocol in my church, I summoned courage and started taking her to church every Sunday.

My People last month first Friday, she said am taking her to night vigil, I said no problem, after the vigil I will drive them back home early in the morning rush home to take my bath and change my cloth, then rush back to work, which means am working for her everyday whole heatedly.

Yesterday was Sunday, and I work up very late around 7am. Before I rushed down to her house, she had already gone to church. Her Brother said she left early. Later on Sunday night, she sent me a message saying how dare me comes to work late on Sunday that she had to drive herself to Church so therefore my punishment is that i should stay at home for 10 good days for her to decide if I should come back to work for her or not.

Am emotionally down right now, cos am presently at work waiting for her to come down from her room since 8am.

Please help me boost my moral.
how did u resolve it?
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by Codyt(m): 2:37am On Aug 07, 2019
drmikeadams:
how did u resolve it?
Nifemi2020 tell us ooo... cheesy cheesy
Re: Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In by laudate: 5:28am On Aug 11, 2019
babythug:
Such a shame and i do feel for your situation.

I worked under such circumstances for five years until i could take it no more. As a matter of fact,my letter of resignation was stained with a few tears as i typed and submitted it.

These are my tips and lessons i learnt from the experience:

1. shes unlikely to change her attitude but you must be responsible for your action and indeed attitude, make sure you constantly exude positivity and a cheerful disposition.
2. Be extremely professional, keep your domestic ish away from the office as best as you can. Do not get familiar with her or any of your other colleagues, no need for pleasntries beyond formal greetings and thats that. The less she and other colleagues know about you, the less ammunition anyone has against you.
3. Do your best to meet and exceed targets and key perfomance areas and indicators! Be seen to be stretching your back. If a report is due on Monday, ensure its ready for submission by Friday afternoon even if you dont hand it in. You may even send it in on sunday so it looks like you
are busting your ass for the organisation even in your spare time.
4. Pray, pray, pray and pray some more. For new and better external opportunities and so that you dont fall into any traps/pits

5. In further reference to no 2 please make sure you're not getting to work late or calling in sick or using company time to attend to domestic matters often!

6. Dont join office cliques, gang ups against her or join in general office gossip. Its never a good idea.

7. always be proactive - anticipate stuff and remain ahead. Little things count.

8. Dress as sharply as you can, even with second hand wears ensure you always look your best! Itll help in boosting your confidence and no one will be quick to talk down at you when your appearance is generally on point

Every single piece of advice in babythug's post is spot on! shocked Especially no 3, 6 & 7. May the wisdom God deposited in your life, never run dry. cool

Ok, Let me just add one more piece of advice:

9. Make friends with your boss's Oga, (as well as other Ogas in the office) and try to impress that Oga with your hardwork, problem solving skills and smartness/ intelligence. Don't get familiar with them though, I beg you. Just remain on polite, friendly, respectful and professional terms with the Ogas. wink

That way, if she tries bad-mouthing you to senior management and others, they will not believe you and may even come to your defence. cheesy

Finally OP Bokunrawo, don't forget advice no. 2 from babythug's post. Never ever let your guard down around your boss. Keep her at arm's length. undecided

That way, she cannot get to know your weaknesses and use them against you. sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Have A Happy Retirement / Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service / How To Have A Productive Day With 3 Simple Acts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.