Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,644 members, 7,809,424 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (49710 Views)

Oladejo Lamikanra - Nigerian Lawyer Who Lied His Way To The Top / How Obasanjo Lied His Way To Heroism / Nigerians Lie: How Pastor Adeboye Lied His Way To Fame-Superego (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by eShegz(m): 9:48am On Oct 19, 2010
Okay, let me warn you in advance, this is pretty long but quite revealing.

Philip Emeagwali stirs up diverse emotions in Nigerians, Africans, and black people around the world. His claim of being a father of the Internet, of having invented the Connection Machine, of possessing 41patented inventions, of winning “the Nobel Prize of Computing” and of being a “doctor” and/or “professor” have been conclusively debunked with widely documented evidence.

Fraudulent Claims help puts Emeagwali on the Nigerian Postal stamp

Yet, the figure of Emeagwali as a black scientific, engineering, and information technology genius and pioneer continues to loom large over discussions of black achievement. The legend of Philip Emeagwali’s purported inventions, widely proven to emanate from the perverse deceptive genius of the man himself, endures and proliferates among Nigerian and black groups around the world.

http://www.saharareporters.com/report/how-philip-emeagwali-lied-his-way-fame

Summarily, this report says

Philip Emeagwali deceived the whole world by appropriating a Phd to himself

Philip Emeagwali never won a Nobel price in computing as often touted.

Notable scholars in the diaspora all debunked his claim to being the "father of the internet"

and so on,

Reading the headline at first, i thought why now? why do we always want to put ourselves down? In fact, i toyed withe question, who paid Saharareporters for this hatchet job?

However this article appears quite factual and i just hope this respected Nigerian will come out to debunk all these allegations before the West latches on to this again and further do damage to our collective psyche

3 Likes

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 19, 2010
This is a known fact, discussed on Nairaland far back four years ago.
Philip Emeagwali is a fraud.

5 Likes

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by googles: 9:59am On Oct 19, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

seriously ? Kai I used to think the world of guy, wow embarassed
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 19, 2010
Wow, this is news to me. Am sure gonna investigate this further. Anyone with any relevant link pls paste
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by tkb417(m): 10:17am On Oct 19, 2010
Jarus:

This is a known fact, discussed on Nairaland far back four years ago.
Philip Emeagwali is a fraud.
yo bro

even the highly intellectual people have taken to yahoo yahoo

Where is Abalaka today
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by IbroYaya: 10:28am On Oct 19, 2010
I don't know about the rest, but I know that Philip Emagwali never said he won a noble laureate prize in computing. He might have been nominated.

I don't get this thing. Why is it that all these things could only be dug out by a Nigerian after such a long time. It surprise me serious. I smell bad belle somewhere.

But whatever be the case, I need to investigate further beyond sahara reporters.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by otokx(m): 10:32am On Oct 19, 2010
Nigeria too is a sham
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 19, 2010
I dont know but I know the guy is pretty intelligent
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Bawss1(m): 11:07am On Oct 19, 2010
Ibro Yaya:

I don't know about the rest, but I know that Philip Emagwali never said he won a noble laureate prize in computing. He might have been nominated.

Is there even such a category in the Nobel awards?

Its a good thing people are made aware of this scam artist. He is a disgrace!
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by MetalGong4: 11:08am On Oct 19, 2010
Look at them , bloody jealous never do goods trying to pull Emeagwali down. . . . .PHD syndrome is really a horrible disease.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Abagworo(m): 11:13am On Oct 19, 2010
I sense tribalism in this thread.Hi haters.
I'm outta here.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by saintneo(m): 11:24am On Oct 19, 2010
if the world refuses to recognise you, then recognise yourself.

http://edition.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/specials/bhm/story/black.innovators.html
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Abagworo(m): 11:35am On Oct 19, 2010
A father of the Internet

Philip Emeagwali, a computer scientist, is but one example. He uses his mathematical and computer expertise to develop methods for extracting more petroleum from oil fields. It was his formula that used 65 ,000 separate computer processors to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second in 1989. That feat led to computer scientists comprehending the capabilities of supercomputers and the practical applications of creating a system that allowed multiple computers to communicate. He is recognized as one of the fathers of the Internet. Supercomputers range in price from $30 million to $100 million, and computer companies had reservations about building them for fear few agencies would make such pricey purchases. "At that time, the argument was, 'We shouldn't build computers that way because who can program them?' " said Emeagwali, who is also a civil engineer. "I answered that question by successfully programming them." Future applications for Emeagwali's breakthroughs with the use of data generated by massively parallel computers include weather forecasting and the study of global warming .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Abagworo(m): 11:45am On Oct 19, 2010
Only recently, the USAfricadialogue googlegroups listserv managed by Professor Toyin Falola of the University of Texas hosted a discussion on Philip Emeagwali’s vast fraud. Participants in the discussion included Nigerian and African intellectuals,

No much difference with Nairaland.Why the jealousy?

1 Like

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 19, 2010
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by sayso: 12:03pm On Oct 19, 2010
una don start again?
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Epiphany(m): 12:14pm On Oct 19, 2010
Jarus:

Far back 2006, discussed on Nairaland: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-19285.0.html and https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-177876.0.html

Just went through the information on the links. Sad, very very sad.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 19, 2010
So the guy has been a fraud all these while ? I will highlight all his lies here:

He won the Gordon Bell award and called it NOBEL AWARD ?

where did he get his doctor or professor from ?
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by kettykings: 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2010
Dear nairalanders if lies could make someone famous would not everybody had lied his or her way to fame. The same Sahara reporters printed last week “counterfeit naira printed in Australia during Soludo’s Era”. Really this is a big pity.

This was Soludo that the Federal Government of UMYA probed for 2 years without any evidence. (My hear goes out to all the egg brains still in Nigeria)

Come to think of it how come Nigeria has never produced the types of Bill Gates, the only reason is that the phds (pull him down syndrome will never allow such a person to rise)

Can Gordon Bell and IEEE be wrong or are Americans be foolish enough to celebrate a black fraud and still allow him to walk free and head tall in US. And will they be dumb to allow genuine phds fighting Emeagwali to wallow in poverty and delusion and honor someone they call a fraud.
Can America give a fraud 35 visa opportunities for his family?

So sad Nigeria that your enemies are within your gates

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by duduspace(m): 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2010
Unbelievable, I just saw it and couldn't believe my eyes. I always thot myself perceptive and for me to have accepted these lies in the past churns my stomach. I was just about posting it myself. The government needs to withdraw that postage stamp ASAP.

I must say though that a lot of people were taken in, Bill Clinton also helped cement his undeserved reputation for some reason with his statement about him then.

In our bid to find something to be proud of about ourselves we embraced a lie.

1 Like

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by duduspace(m): 12:59pm On Oct 19, 2010
@kettykings

Have you read the article at all? Mr. Emeagwali blew his trumpet too much and ascribed to himself what he wasn't. Read the article first before you comment.

2 Likes

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Afam4eva(m): 1:09pm On Oct 19, 2010
Igbo haters are at it again.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 19, 2010
kettykings:

Dear nairalanders if lies could make someone famous would not everybody had lied his or her way to fame. The same Sahara reporters printed last week “counterfeit naira printed in Australia during Soludo’s Era”. Really this is a big pity.

This was Soludo that the Federal Government of UMYA probed for 2 years without any evidence. (My hear goes out to all the egg brains still in Nigeria)

Come to think of it how come Nigeria has never produced the types of Bill Gates, the only reason is that the phds (pull him down syndrome will never allow such a person to rise)

Can[b] Gordon Bell[/b] and IEEE be wrong or are Americans be foolish enough to celebrate a black fraud and still allow him to walk free and head tall in US. And will they be dumb to allow genuine phds fighting Emeagwali to wallow in poverty and delusion and honor someone they call a fraud.
Can America give a fraud 35 visa opportunities for his family?

So sad Nigeria that your enemies are within your gates

The guy claimed to have a Nobel Award ! Is Gordon Bell Award = Nobel Award ? No !!!!

1 Like

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 19, 2010
If this was a Yoruba man, good gosh, this thread and yoruba haters for don full. shocked shocked

Anywaz, I dnt even know who Phillip Emea is. But Nigerians loff to pull themselves down o, I fear for my ppl.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Afam4eva(m): 1:20pm On Oct 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

The guy claimed to have a Nobel Award ! Is Gordon Bell Award = Nobel Award ? No !!!!
Why don't you post a link to where he made such claim. You tribal scum.

2 Likes

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by strangest(m): 1:27pm On Oct 19, 2010
I fully well understand OYIBO, it will be really sad if a black african turns up to be the one that discovered the internet, so call the dog a bad name and kill it,

1 Like

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by bkbabe97y(m): 1:27pm On Oct 19, 2010
To all of you screaming "Tribalism", I say to u: EAT A HEAP OF FRESHLY PILED DONKEY SHIYYYT!

Philip Emegweali is a big liar and a fraud who also happens to be a crook and Ibo to boot. Whose fault is that?

Instead of crying "Wolf", maybe u'd be better off chastising him so next time another fraud thinks to come along,

he might get dissuaded.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by phreakabit(m): 1:29pm On Oct 19, 2010
I dont have to make a comment here I know where this one is going!!! its a waste of time.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by IbroYaya: 1:29pm On Oct 19, 2010
afam4eva:

Why don't you post a link to where he made such claim. You tribal scum.
Gbam!
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by gidson12(m): 1:31pm On Oct 19, 2010
do we ever see any thing good in ourselves, thats the reason why we can never progress, we are quick to run ourselves down, i'm still yet to see the fault of this guy, remember he's a Nigerian and not recognized by the outside world as any of the tribes within, so never u be biased in ur opinion about him, i still dont see him as an easterner, but as a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by edoyad(m): 1:33pm On Oct 19, 2010
This is not about tribal bashing, we've been taken on a ride by a devious mind.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Afam4eva(m): 1:35pm On Oct 19, 2010
edoyad:

This is not about tribal bashing, we've been taken on a ride by a devious mind.

My bluetooth, i'm still waiting for the link. Post it here or forever shut your hell hole.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Gives N10k To Each Of The Hawkers He Met On The Road / Ambode Sacks Chaplain For Disrespecting His Wife / President Buhari, Dangote, Wale Tinubu Meet Top US Companies CEOs (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.