Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (49781 Views)

Oladejo Lamikanra - Nigerian Lawyer Who Lied His Way To The Top / How Obasanjo Lied His Way To Heroism / Nigerians Lie: How Pastor Adeboye Lied His Way To Fame-Superego (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 19, 2010
what exactly does 'dr' emegwali have to teach the new generations? the fine art of ogboju and confidence tricsk  undecided undecided
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Carlosein(m): 3:30pm On Oct 19, 2010
Ibime:

Nigerians are wicked people.

Its only because Emeagwali doesn't have Dr in front of his name that they downplay his achievements. It is ironic that the same PHD thesis that was rejected that was the same PHD thesis that won him the Gordon Bell prize.

Emeagwali never claimed anything he didn't achieve unless people lack comprehension. If I say Ibime won nobel prize of Nairaland, some punks would claim that Ibime said he won Nobel Prize gon gon.

I have studied parallel computing to a decent level, and I tell you that for Emeagwali to be recognised in one of the most highly advanced fields od mathematics is no mean achievement. Some people wey barely scrape Mass Communication degree from Lasu just dey here dey yarn opata.

If Emeagwali was granted the PHD (which he won award for), he would not have to blow his own trumpet. He would have access to research and funds and be able to co-publish work with other Drs and Profs in his field. His work will be quoted by all academics and he will be speaking in all the conferences. As it stands now, someone doing a PHD thesis cannot reference Emeagwalis work because PHD student should not be referencing anything less than PHD or Professional research paper. hehehehehe.

If this is true, why was he not awarded the degree then?
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Self-acclaimed father of Internet. . . .j[b]ust like the same way,Ekwueme acclaimed himself ''founder of PDP''[/b] and ojukwu too ''founder of biafra''
is it a tribal thing or what ?
ROTFLMAO

Who founded PDP??
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by phreakabit(m): 3:32pm On Oct 19, 2010
confidence tricsk Undecided Undecided

Tricsk? cry cry
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Carlosein(m): 3:33pm On Oct 19, 2010
Ibime:

If Emeagwali was granted the PHD (which he won award for), he would not have to blow his own trumpet. He would have access to research and funds and be able to co-publish work with other Drs and Profs in his field. His work will be quoted by all academics and he will be speaking in all the conferences. As it stands now, someone doing a PHD thesis cannot reference Emeagwalis work because PHD student should not be referencing anything less than PHD or Professional research paper. hehehehehe.

I have to agree with this.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 19, 2010
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 19, 2010
oyb:

what exactly does 'dr' emegwali have to teach the new generations? the fine art of ogboju and confidence tricsk  undecided undecided

LOL grin grin grin fine art of ogboju!!
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by PeeDaVinci: 3:36pm On Oct 19, 2010
Ibime:

Its only because Emeagwali doesn't have Dr in front of his name that they downplay his achievements. It is ironic that the same PHD thesis that was rejected that was the same PHD thesis that won him the Gordon Bell prize.

Emeagwali never claimed anything he didn't achieve unless people lack comprehension. If I say Ibime won nobel prize of Nairaland, some punks would claim that Ibime said he won Nobel Prize gon gon.

I have studied parallel computing to a decent level, and I tell you that for Emeagwali to be recognised in one of the most highly advanced fields od mathematics is no mean achievement. Some people wey barely scrape Mass Communication degree from Lasu just dey here dey yarn opata.

Mr Ibime, Shut up and shut up and shut up again. Never ever talk about what you don't know.  FYI, anybody (PHD, Prof  etc) can reference anybody's (Undergrad, Msc, , ) work inasmuch as it is published.  Okay Also , I have more than 7 references on my masters project published by ACM. and finally, FYI, I just received my PhD in distributed computing (I dont want to make any comment about Emeagwali's claim though, It is pointless arguing with some secondary school graduates)
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 19, 2010
OMO IBO:

ROTFLMAO

Who founded PDP??
Ekwueme has the best answer to this question !
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 19, 2010
phreakabit:

Tricsk?  cry  cry

can we expect better from the illiterate dunces who have been conned into emegwali's snake oil

if you can't refute anything posted, i suggest you shut it and hop off to the music threads

you're better off arguing over whether denrele and charly boy are really gay - that sounds more like your alley - daft twit
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by jaybee3(m): 3:38pm On Oct 19, 2010
I'm enjoying this drama grin grin grin grin
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Ekwueme has the best answer to this question !
LOL
Smart answer.

Anyways, back to reading
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by phreakabit(m): 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2010
Tricsk?  Cry  Cry

can we expect better from the illiterate dunces who have been conned into emegwali's snake oil

if you can't refute anything posted, i suggest you shut it and hop off to the music threads

you're better off arguing over whether denrele and charly boy are really gay - that sounds more like your alley - daft twit 

LOL, Learn to spell first and then i will reply  grin, In other words you no reach!
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2010
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Carlosein(m): 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2010
Here is what the man said of himself:

Am I "A Father of the Internet?"

First, I demonstrated that the original blueprint for the international network only applies to a flat Earth and invented a global network that applies to a round Earth. Second, the United States government acknowledged that I used the NSFnet (precursor of the Internet) to break the barriers of space and time. The latter was hailed as an NSFnet "success story." Third, I developed the first personal Web site on the NSFnet. Fourth, I contributed to the development of parallel processing technology, which provides the horsepower that runs Web sites. Fifth, I demonstrated the power of parallel computing, a technology that is now accepted and is widely used on the Internet.

However, the most significant aspect of my contribution is that I worked alone over a period of 27 years. As a result, I have won more prizes and awards than any contemporary scientist who worked alone. As the discoverer of penicillin, Sir Alexander Flemming, wrote, "It is the lone worker who makes the first advance in a subject: The details may be worked out by a team, but the prime idea is due to the enterprise, thought and perception of an individual."

For the above reasons, I have been described as "one of the fathers of the Internet," a phrase that recognizes that many people contributed to the invention of the Internet. I agree and believe that any recognition of an individual as "A Father of the Internet," should be qualified by stating that the Internet has many fathers, mothers, uncles and aunts.

link: http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/cezeilo/2003nov09.html
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 19, 2010
goddam spambot keeps deleting my ref to chxtas anaylsis of the good doctor
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by birdman(m): 3:41pm On Oct 19, 2010
Na wa for my people: we post on Nairaland all day, condemning corrupt politicians and fraud. Until it turns out to be someone we admire, or a kinsman,  then we turn the other way. And we wonder why everything is corrupt and nothing works?

All the people who still rever Emeagwali, you can do the same thing I did when I first heard about this. Emeagwali was an inspiration and I was incensed that someone would drag this affable, brilliant man's name in the mud. Use google to do some research on his claims. Like me, your anger at the poster will turn to confusion and dread, to anger at Emeagwali.

Carlosein:

the onus is on those crying 'fraud' to provide evidence of his claims. in my opinion, the guy would have to be a dullard to sue an established institution for not awarding him a degree, lose the suit and then expect to claim the award without any one finding out undecided
There is nothing special about this: there is a phrase in academic circles about "Doctors without PhDs". The scam is popular with failed doctoral students who take on title of Doctor anyways. You can usually get away with it too ad few people vet such things.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by bawomolo(m): 3:42pm On Oct 19, 2010
jay bee:

I'm enjoying this drama grin grin grin grin

ha ha. lets add gabriel oyibo's case to the mix too. GAGUT cheesy
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Seekers(m): 3:43pm On Oct 19, 2010
These re reasons y we'll never grow in dis country cos we always lookin for de down fall of ourselves, white use their own witch n wizard to help theirself n improve their growth but naija(africa),na lie, lookin to bring who is up down instead of tryin to get up urself, bullshit, true or false,i dnt care.am sorry n am not,those against dis guy re stup*d n fool**h, mumu ppl,
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by bawomolo(m): 3:45pm On Oct 19, 2010
However, the most significant aspect of my contribution is that I worked alone over a period of 27 years. As a result, I have won more prizes and awards than any contemporary scientist who worked alone. As the discoverer of penicillin, Sir Alexander Flemming, wrote, "It is the lone worker who makes the first advance in a subject: The details may be worked out by a team, but the prime idea is due to the enterprise, thought and perception of an individual."

oh really?
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Carlosein(m): 3:45pm On Oct 19, 2010
birdman:

Na wa for my people: we post on Nairaland all day, condemning corrupt politicians and fraud. Until it turns out to be someone we admire, or a kinsman,  then we turn the other way. And we wonder why everything is corrupt and nothing works?

All the people who still rever Emeagwali, you can do the same thing I did when I first heard about this. Emeagwali was an inspiration and I was incensed that someone would drag this affable, brilliant man's name in the mud. Use google to do some research on his claims. Like me, your anger at the poster will turn to confusion and dread, to anger at Emeagwali.
There is nothing special about this: there is a phrase in academic circles about "Doctors without PhDs". The scam is popular with failed doctoral students who take on title of Doctor anyways. You can usually get away with it too ad few people vet such things.

in nigeria/africa, yes. but in global circles? i wonder.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2010
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Seekers(m): 3:47pm On Oct 19, 2010
This naija fuji musician dat calls himself "DR SAHEED OSUPA".who gave him dat doctorate deg?where he skul?he just insert it in his name but never claim he went to skul, go n critice dat too, jobless idi*t
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by tkb417(m): 3:48pm On Oct 19, 2010
PeeDaVinci:

Mr Ibime, Shut up and shut up and shut up again. Never ever talk about what you don't know.  FYI, anybody (PHD, Prof  etc) can reference anybody's (Undergrad, Msc, , ) work inasmuch as it is published.  Okay Also , I have more than 7 references on my masters project published by ACM. and finally, FYI, I just received my PhD in distributed computing (I dont want to make any comment about Emeagwali's claim though, It is pointless arguing with some secondary school graduates)
hahahahahaha

@Topic
Oyb

God bless you for all those links, so refreshing and enlightening

I hope all the tribal lords have better links to rubbish all you have posted

Pls, post some more links cos im enjoying this

pls more links from intellectuals abeg. Dont wanna read rubbish from all these Nairaland wannabees
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Carlosein(m): 3:51pm On Oct 19, 2010
guddsid:

i actually asked for the web link on him claiming he won a nobel prize  grin

i wasn't responding to your request (which i made first). was just trying to shed some light the issue.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by birdman(m): 3:52pm On Oct 19, 2010
guddsid:

waiting,

Stop being lazy. You can either start with the article and disprove it with Google and US patent office website, or you can start here:

http://www.republicreport.com/intellectual-fraud-crisis-allegedly-rocks-%E2%80%9Cphilip-emeagwali-myths%E2%80%9D%E2%80%94reports/
http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/cezeilo/2003nov09.html (for those who see tribe in everything)
http://www.rense.com/general81/dnt.htm (people have know of the fraud for at least a decade)
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DXK/is_22_16/ai_58614840/ (He has no PhD)
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by OmoTier1(m): 3:53pm On Oct 19, 2010
@ Bluetooth.
Could these people be all wrong?
1. The president of Michigan State University why she paid him and invited him to speak on April 18, 2007. See    
    http://emeagwali.com/awards/citations/philip-emeagwali-michigan-state-university-april-19-2007.jpg

2. University's flagship publications dedicated special issues honoring the discoveries and inventions of Philip Emeagwali [Read MICHIGAN TODAY, February 1991, University of Michigan, http://www.ns.umich.edu/MT/

3. Entire members of the Michigan House of Representatives  passed a resolution thanking Philip Emeagwali for his "tremendous impact on the state of Michigan" in April 2007.

4.  The Mayor of Lansing (capital of Michigan) and the Mayor of East Lansing declared April 18, 2007 as PHILIP EMEAGWALI Day

5. The Governor of Michigan  she gave an award to Philip Emeagwali for his "tireless contributions" to Michigan in 2007

6. He also gave invited lectures on his partial differential equations in Washington, D.C. in July 8-12, 1991 at an international congress of applied mathematicians, held once in four years.

7. He recently headlined the 2009 Kshitij the largest science festival in Asia

8. TIME magazine called Philip Emeagwali "the unsung hero behind the Internet

9. CNN called him "a father of the Internet"

10. BBC called him a Digital Giant
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Hauwa1: 3:54pm On Oct 19, 2010
brothers @ war

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by bawomolo(m): 3:55pm On Oct 19, 2010
No one is screaming racism, it is a fact that white supremist carried out unalloyed campaign on the web to get Philip. E. rubbished but they ALL failed! Also, if you were smart you would have observed that apart from the court documents about his thesis, they have been unable to provide any evidence to support their claims that He lied his way to the top! Again CNN did an indepth analysis on Philip. E. and even the likes of Foxnews ran commentary about him when He was nominated for the prestigious and Highest US medal!

It is a shame that people like you try to bring down others simply because you have not been able to make any meaningful contribution to humanity! The world supercomputing recognizes this fellow. If only I could gain access to the old pdf document where the then IEE published his works in s special edition!

can OMO_TIER please support this claim?

2. University's flagship publications dedicated special issues honoring the discoveries and inventions of Philip Emeagwali [Read MICHIGAN TODAY, February 1991, University of Michigan, http://www.ns.umich.edu/MT/

link not working? we are asking for publications, you are giving us pictures? are you ok?
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by birdman(m): 3:56pm On Oct 19, 2010
Carlosein:

in nigeria/africa, yes. but in global circles? i wonder.

Journalists get fired for not vetting stories or making stuff up, even at the New York times. Politicians fake college degrees, and the electoral body does not catch the lie: only to be found out by a citizen journalist weeks to election. All this is in America. Fraud and incompetence are not unique to Nigeria/Africa, contrary to all you might be hearing in the media.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Seekers(m): 3:58pm On Oct 19, 2010
Carlosein:

i wasn't responding to your request (which i made first). was just trying to shed some light the issue.
pls leave dem n let dem continue critising him, beta dnt let dem waste ur time, any1 of u dat is bold enough shld go n search for him or his family n confront dem, idiot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Lovely Photos Of Prof. Yemi Osinbajo And His Wife / A Nigerian Soldier Posted How They Eliminated Boko Haram Members (graphics) / Photos Of Tinubu At APC Meeting Earlier Today Surface Online Amidst Ffk's Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.