Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,664 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Living With An Asthmatic Spouse - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Living With An Asthmatic Spouse (19259 Views)

High Cost Of Medical Care: Asthmatic Patient Cries As Seretide Sells For ₦52,000 / Passengers Flee From Bus As Nigerian Lady Believed To Be Asthmatic Dies (Video) / Asthmatic Lady Almost Killed In An Elevator In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by khome(f): 11:12pm On Oct 11, 2019
spiceadole:
Let your spouse be seen by a pulmonologist or even a general practitioner who will monitor him,educate and give medications to reduce the frequency and severity of attacks.

Asthma is not hereditary but it runs in families.

I am asthmatic.
I am a medical doctor.

My parents are not asthmatic, neither is any of my siblings.
My paternal grandfather and 2 uncles(now late) were

Last attack I had was 5 years ago in 2014.
I visited a relative who used old rugs and ceiling fans were consumed by dust.
That was all...I was nebulized in the hospital and given medications.
I have been attack free since then.
That does not mean I cannot have an attack if I'm exposed to the allergens.
Asthma is not curable
Sir, what do you mean by its not hereditary but its in the family?

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by wirinet(m): 11:25pm On Oct 11, 2019
Youngjohnosas:
I will advise you to get some live snails, nsoak it in a bucket of water then look for a banana tree around cut it and extract the water and lastly get a good quantity of original honey. then break the tip of the snail and extract it's fluid{snail water}. mix the materials together{snail water, original honey and banana stem water}.take two spoonful shocked of it first thing in the morning before breakfast and last thing before going to bed consistently for maximum 30 days and by the grace of God your asthma is gone forever.
it's kind of messy but it's worth a try. I know you will thank God later.
Drinking snail water without boiling it? That's suicide. Snail is the second most deadly animal to humans after the ubiquitous mosquito.

Very bad advice.

3 Likes

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by midnighter(f): 11:26pm On Oct 11, 2019
nkemjacob2:
None of parent, family even grand or great parent has it wen I was doing my findings. If i tell u my own kind of asthma is different from others u won't believe me. At time on a full months even to quarter year. I won't have the symptoms. Sometins it comes on it own not several as others. Wen I do have the attack, u won't know I understand my self. It cos my chest to be heavy, wheezing in breath, @ time sneezing. Wen I take my drugs it relieve me.

NOTE asthma is not hereditary @ times

Are you sure you havent developed an allergy?

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by HBB1(m): 11:30pm On Oct 11, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

Start her on prednisolone, sold under the Brand name Perilon. I used to use inhaler before, but man, that shit made my asthma worse. They said that the salbutamol releases a chemical in the lung that relives you, which is true, but it makes it your lung worse off. So, you practically become dependent on it. But I started using prednisolone, and I haven't used inhaler in months. Take two, morning and night for five days. See if there's any improvement. Please, tell her to also practice stomach breathing, because most asthma patients breath with their chest, very very bad. God bless.

You will just kee yourself.

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by wirinet(m): 11:35pm On Oct 11, 2019
nkemjacob2:
I Neva new I was asthmatic until I finish my secondary school. Wen the symptoms comes I didn't know until i means a doctor who told me. And prescribe farnol for me.

I did so many ultra scan to dar effect but the report shows I'm not asthmatic. But I am having the symptoms.

None of parent, family even grand or great parent has it wen I was doing my findings. If i tell u my own kind of asthma is different from others u won't believe me. At time on a full months even to quarter year. I won't have the symptoms. Sometins it comes on it own not several as others. Wen I do have the attack, u won't know I understand my self. It cos my chest to be heavy, wheezing in breath, @ time sneezing. Wen I take my drugs it relieve me.

NOTE asthma is not hereditary @ times
You are right, not all asthma is hereditary. Some can be due to environmental factors, some can be triggered by work environment. I did not develop asthma until I went into the forest in one of for 3 days in my final year at the university. It is not so serious? It is triggered by a combination of factors like stress, cold, excessive busy environment and malaria.

Asthma is not contagious. While its causes are still unknown, researchers have determined that asthma can be caused by both hereditary (inherited) and environmental factors.
https://asthma.ca/get-help/asthma-3/diagnosis-3/who-gets-asthma/

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by HBB1(m): 11:36pm On Oct 11, 2019
scriptaz18:
I'll advise you learn how to inject him because of emergency attack - I'm asthmatic (severe) but my saving grace is that I compelled my spouse to learn how to inject me. She's not a nurse but she's good at injecting - only me.
Now, another shocker is that most health professionals don't know how to diagnose or diffuse asthma or its attack - they have their conventional way of using amynophline injection, which most often takes time to subdue an attack.
Always have 3 dose of adrenaline injections handy: it's the best and sure antidote for attacks.
Extra - ask him to take his franol tablets, even when he's not having an attack. God will heal him.

Adrenaline like paracetamol, you will just kill yourself!

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by HBB1(m): 11:38pm On Oct 11, 2019
wirinet:

Drinking snail water without boiling it? That's suicide. Snail is the second most deadly animal to humans after the ubiquitous mosquito.

Very bad advice.

Don't mind the Yaba left escapee! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by midnighter(f): 11:51pm On Oct 11, 2019
HBB1:

Like i dont understand What happened to salbutamol...why is everybody injecting themselves...

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by spiceadole: 4:01am On Oct 12, 2019
khome:
Sir, what do you mean by its not hereditary but its in the family?

In simple terms...Hereditary means...Because your family member had it,you have it..Or it is as a result of what you get from your parents..
Asthma can develop without any family member having had it.

Other conditions that are not hereditary but run in families include:

Hypertension
Diabetes mellitus
Epilepsy
Peptic Ulcer
Cancers,etc.

If there is a family history of these diseases,you are at increased risk of developing them.
They are not hereditary, only running in your family and any offspring in any generation can develop them.

Generally,That's why when doctors are taking history, we ask if any family member had/has any of these conditions.More important,if a patient is suffering from one of them.

Common example of hereditary disease is Sicke cell anaemia.
It cannot just develop. One must inherit the sickle genes from the parents.

By the way,I am not "Sir"..." Ma'am" will be better.
Thanks.

Hope this answers your questions.
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by SenecaTheYonger: 5:48am On Oct 12, 2019
HBB1:

You will just kee yourself.

Why?
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by SenecaTheYonger: 5:54am On Oct 12, 2019
Pr0cter:

Let me school you. Not all asthma is hereditary. A severe cough in a child that is untreated properly during childhood can lead to a more severe case of asthma. Even exposure to dust, cold and extreme environments can lead to asthma. It all depends on the body mechanism of the individual.

True. I'm the only one in my immediate family with this shit. Although my dad's elder brother also has it.
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by shangodele974(m): 6:13am On Oct 12, 2019
janeyjoys:
Thanks. Please which specie of Mango?. kerosine mango, sheri mango etc

any mango seed
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by IAmTobore(m): 6:34am On Oct 12, 2019
CyberEBOLA:
What i am sure about is that asthma is hereditary. Meaning your children are likely to be asthmatic.

My first to comment is dedicated to myself.
May i be courageous enough to be the one to take my own life, not some idiot somewhere.
Why do want to take your own life?

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by AlphLukau: 7:31am On Oct 12, 2019
Naira Sermons abeg una advice too much
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by scriptaz18(m): 7:33am On Oct 12, 2019
HBB1:

Sir/ma, are you asthmatic? If Yes, is it severe? I'm talking about 'adrenaline injection' - ask any health professional you know, it's very reliable when an asthmatic sufferer (not patient) is in crisis.
I only take in 'severe' time.
About the dosage - it's once (I don't know how I will 'just kill' myself with it.
Why I suggested three is for him to have it in store - that injection is very scarce. I'm not asking him to take the three at once - Haba!
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by x3da(m): 7:35am On Oct 12, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

Start her on prednisolone, sold under the Brand name Perilon. I used to use inhaler before, but man, that shit made my asthma worse. They said that the salbutamol releases a chemical in the lung that relives you, which is true, but it makes it your lung worse off. So, you practically become dependent on it. But I started using prednisolone, and I haven't used inhaler in months. Take two, morning and night for five days. See if there's any improvement. Please, tell her to also practice stomach breathing, because most asthma patients breath with their chest, very very bad. God bless.

Please continuous use of prednisolone is not ideal, it has side effects which can be damaging to ones health, prolonged use can cause weight gain, hair loss and a dependency on the medication cause its steroid based, please try and wean off it.

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by SenecaTheYonger: 7:41am On Oct 12, 2019
[quote author=x3da post=83062939][/quote]

What re you talking about?
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by HBB1(m): 8:08am On Oct 12, 2019
scriptaz18:

Sir/ma, are you asthmatic? If Yes, is it severe? I'm talking about 'adrenaline injection' - ask any health professional you know, it's very reliable when an asthmatic sufferer (not patient) is in crisis.
I only take in 'severe' time.
About the dosage - it's once (I don't know how I will 'just kill' myself with it.
Why I suggested three is for him to have it in store - that injection is very scarce. I'm not asking him to take the three at once - Haba!

You understand there is a protocol to treat Asthma?

When you inject yourself (anyhow) with a medicine that can stop your heart, you are only playing with fire.

You have an asthma attack and the next thing is an Adrenaline shot?!
grin

Next time just inject yourself in the heart directly, so it will work faster.

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by HBB1(m): 8:15am On Oct 12, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

Why?

Do you know what steroids can do to you?

Whatever happened to using a simple salbutamol inhaler or 'Seretide' to control the asthma, if it is really disturbing you-- and by that I mean like 2 attacks a weak.

Steroids should only be used after you have a hospital visit for the asthma-- uncontrolled by the above methods.

Because you can get your hands on it, in a lawless society as ours doesn't mean it is harmless.

Sofry sofry o!

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by SenecaTheYonger: 8:25am On Oct 12, 2019
HBB1:

Do you know what steroids can do to you?

Whatever happened to using a simple salbutamol inhaler or 'Seretide' to control the asthma, if it is really disturbing you-- and by that I mean like 2 attacks a weak.

Steroids should only be used after you have a hospital visit for the asthma-- uncontrolled by the above methods.

Because you can get your hands on it, in a lawless society as ours doesn't mean it is harmless.

Sofry sofry o!

Are u even asthmatic? Salbutamol is a death sentence. I used to use a special honey found in GH for over 8 years to keep my asthna at bay. Only for me to come back to 9jeria without it for a funeral. 3 months in, I get my first attack. No honey in this country works. So I buy Salbutamol.

Worked first time. Worked second time, now I start getting attack daily. Wtf!!!

Google Salbutamol, finds out it kills the lung slowly. I can literally feel my lungs blocking even after using it.

Got to the hospital, doc says to take perdisolone, 1 tablet, twice a day, 5 days total.

Haven't had an attack in 3 months.

Yh, fvck inhaler.
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by HBB1(m): 8:31am On Oct 12, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

Are u even asthmatic? Salbutamol is a death sentence. I used to use a special honey found in GH for over 8 years to keep my asthna at bay. Only for me to come back to 9jeria without it for a funeral. 3 months in, I get my first attack. No honey in this country works. So I buy Salbutamol.

Worked first time. Worked second time, now I start getting attack daily. Wtf!!!

Google Salbutamol, finds out it kills the lung slowly. I can literally feel my lungs blocking even after using it.

Got to the hospital, doc says to take perdisolone, 1 tablet, twice a day, 5 days total.

Haven't had an attack in 3 months.

Yh, fvck inhaler.

You don't even understand how the medicines work.

Do you know what the prednisolone does for you?
The five days you use it for, is it as a reliever or preventer?

Moreso the dose you are using is all wrong, thankfuly it's low.

Was that the only thing your doctor said or gave to you? ( Sounds quackish if that's the only thing)

Anyway, whatever works for you-- it's not my body it's going into.

I will rather inhale a steroid, than swallow it.

P.S-- Salbutamol is not a death sentence. People with COPD use it like they are drinking water.
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by usy309(m): 8:34am On Oct 12, 2019
Actually, there is nothing to worry... Just the way you manage it....all u need to do avoid those factors that trigger it..
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by SenecaTheYonger: 8:43am On Oct 12, 2019
HBB1:

Do you know what the prednisolone does for you?
The five days you use it for, is it as a reliever or preventer?

Moreso the dose you are using is all wrong, thankfuly it's low.

Was that the only thing your doctor said or gave to you? ( Sounds quackish if that's the only thing)

Anyway, whatever works for you-- it's not my body it's going into.
I will rather inhale a steroid, than swallow it.

You are right about inhaled steroid being better than swallowed. Swallowed used long term has serious side effects.
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by SenecaTheYonger: 8:46am On Oct 12, 2019
HBB1:

P.S-- Salbutamol is not a death sentence. People with COPD use it like they are drinking water.

Maybe you sell Salbutamol inhaler? Anyways, no one should use it that frequently.
Salbutamol is the short acting b2 agonist (SABA) and is the most frequently used inhaler as rescue treatment for all asthma patients. Long-term and repeated use without consulting a doctor and without controller and prophylaxis medication can increase asthma-related complications with increased severity of asthma exacerbations, cardiac arrhythmias and hypertension. With frequent usage for a long period, it becomes ineffective and may lead to hyperinflation of lung. Therefore, it is very necessary to use it with controller medications rather than taking it in increased frequency.
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by ipswitch: 9:03am On Oct 12, 2019
Whereever your spouse is, inhaler must be there. Get a nebulizer. Some outlive it. Herbal stuff too are helpful too
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by scriptaz18(m): 9:10am On Oct 12, 2019
HBB1:

You understand there is a protocol to treat Asthma?

When you inject yourself (anyhow) with a medicine that can stop your heart, you are only playing with fire.

You have an asthma attack and the next thing is an Adrenaline shot?!
grin

Next time just inject yourself in the heart directly, so it will work faster.

You don't seem to understand me - I'm not arguing or here to subtly insult you. I speak intelligently to you as a sufferer, which you are not, let alone a health professional.
My reference is on the 'crisis stage' - adrenaline's reaction to stop a raging attack is quicker than aminophline. Get this right - they don't inject it at once; it's a shot after a shot.
I speak about what I know as a sufferer and other sufferers' experiences as well. You'll do more to Google about the treatment of asthma with adrenaline than for you to droll over what you don't know or have a firsthand experience about. Thank you.
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by Toxay(m): 9:21am On Oct 12, 2019
Please stop miseducating people, the prednisolone function to prevent the asthmatic attack but in a case of this attack, your salbutamol(inhaler) is your immediate therapy as it reverses the bronchospasm.
Secondly, there is nothing like too much oxygen during asthmatic attack, that's false.
Like i said earlier, there's bronchospasm which is constriction of the muscles of the walls of the bronchioles which would cause reduced intake of oxygen (airway).
I repeat, your inhaler is your immediate treatment with a nebuliser in some cases.
And lastly, salbutamol does not destroy your lungs too
SenecaTheYonger:

Not just th3 drugs alone. You have to stay away from your triggers like smoke and dust. But it won't trigger you immediately, at least not me. The most important thing is to practice how to breathe from your stomach not chest.

It's not lack of oxygen that kills asthma patients, its too much oxygen in the body. The irony.
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by Oluwasaeon(m): 9:53am On Oct 12, 2019
shangodele974:
Get mango seed, remove the shell then dry main seed. After drying, make it powdery with mortar. Then mix with pap
Are you sure about this, bro ?
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by khome(f): 11:14am On Oct 12, 2019
spiceadole:

In simple terms...Hereditary means...Because your family member had it,you have it..Or it is as a result of what you get from your parents..
Asthma can develop without any family member having had it.

Other conditions that are not hereditary but run in families include:

Hypertension
Diabetes mellitus
Epilepsy
Peptic Ulcer
Cancers,etc.

If there is a family history of these diseases,you are at increased risk of developing them.
They are not hereditary, only running in your family and any offspring in any generation can develop them.

Generally,That's why when doctors are taking history, we ask if any family member had/has any of these conditions.More important,if a patient is suffering from one of them.

Common example of hereditary disease is Sicke cell anaemia.
It cannot just develop. One must inherit the sickle genes from the parents.

By the way,I am not "Sir"..." Ma'am" will be better.
Thanks.

Hope this answers your questions.
Eshey ma
Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by HBB1(m): 12:06pm On Oct 12, 2019
scriptaz18:

You don't seem to understand me - I'm not arguing or here to subtly insult you. I speak intelligently to you as a sufferer, which you are not, let alone a health professional.
My reference is on the 'crisis stage' - adrenaline's reaction to stop a raging attack is quicker than aminophline. Get this right - they don't inject it at once; it's a shot after a shot.
I speak about what I know as a sufferer and other sufferers' experiences as well. You'll do more to Google about the treatment of asthma with adrenaline than for you to droll over what you don't know or have a firsthand experience about. Thank you.

You don't knowwho I am or what I do for a living...

If you need an adrenaline shot for your asthma, you should be in Intensive care.
You are misusing it and you don't want to understand.

You also realise aminophylline isn't first line treatment, though it is abused in Nigeria?

The day someone's heart will stop with all this rubbish people do...

Anyway, it's your life, but please don't recommend what you know nothing about to people.

1 Like

Re: Living With An Asthmatic Spouse by HBB1(m): 12:09pm On Oct 12, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

Maybe you sell Salbutamol inhaler? Anyways, no one should use it that frequently.

Where did you get this from? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

3.2m Nigerians Live With HIV / How To Cure Staph? / Benefits Of Drinking Warm Lemon Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.