Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,978 members, 7,828,464 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie (14205 Views)

What's The Most Insensitive Question(s) A Recruiter Has Ever Asked You? / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by ytdivine(m): 11:01am On Jan 13, 2023
I wonder why people spend most of their time on social media at the detriment of acquiring basic computer and other skills.
Nigeria youth wake up ooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_OCqQ94Oeo
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Jefferyhi86(m): 11:05am On Jan 13, 2023
A certain restaurant/hotel in benin is looking for a job of a manager, I applied, no calls, more than a month plus I have even forgotten about it then I received a call from them mto come for an interview, I was ask to write a certain test that does not relate to anything about hospitality, questions were account related, I angrily stood up I told the man in pidgin oga na comp Sci I read na abi u no see my cv, he just said I should just write wat I knw, I brought out my fone out to back it up, who cares if he was looking at me, pple for Nigeria de vex, nọ joy, after the whole bullshit the salary I will be receiving just incase I accept the job is 40,000. Omega hotel /restaurant na ogu go kill una.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by WantsandMore: 11:14am On Jan 13, 2023
fbtowner:
i basically dont see much truth here it is very difficult for most fresh graduate to get a job, if u manage to see one they will restrict u with location

fraustration is the main reason most graduate just send cv anyhow

as a job seeker i av applied for over 100 jobs with ur so call message body or cover letter and header, not a single interview because there is no experience ,until i lie about experience

u guys need to do more and stop acting like u dont know how fraustrating joblessness can be
The truth is that you are right & the op is also right, if there are any chances a recruiter may get a job, it shouldn't be because of a basic error or his non- chalant attitude towards the job, the idea is to keep learning & amending until you struck your gold. Irregardless, we muve.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by olisefom: 11:15am On Jan 13, 2023
I was telling a brother of mine about this yesterday.

I run a small business that I employ either SSCE and possibly ND in a local community here in Lagos (with a salary of 40k plus bonuses).

I can boldly say we have a larger percentage of unserious youth.

These ones will simply decline applying further when you tell them to forward a CV mail.

To get positions filled for about 10 staff is a major problem. I sincerely cannot expand because of staffing.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Esales(m): 11:16am On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:
I am going to share my experience as a recruiter, hiring executive assistants for several clients. Some may not like what I have to say, but I can only speak my truth.

Do we have a major youth unemployment problem in Nigeria,yes we do. While there is a challenge of not enough positions aligned with educated youths, as a recruiter I have seen there is a portion of the youth that is not serious about employment. Almost a sense of entitlement.

Many Nigerian youths have access to data and social media. That is how people find me and apply to jobs. I would think during your idle time, you would take time and teach yourself new skills and level up. Unfortunately this is not the case for many candidates I interview.

Let's say I have 10 candidates that I want to interview. Only 5 of them will respond to my initial interview. The other 5 candidates never respond.

Out of the 5 candidates that respond to my email, only three of them will be able to demonstrate knowledge of excel and PowerPoint.

Once I meet them in person, two candidates will call me the day of the interview with one long story basically saying they can not come to the interview, and only one candidate will actually be ready to present to a candidate.

After going to this process over and over again, I have started to ask myself is it worth it? I want to help more Nigerians get jobs, but it's clear to me overall we are not serious.
ver 400 resumes I have for EA positions, only 50 resumes have been presentable to clients.

Nigerian youths if there is not anything else you get out of my message, you need to level up. The Nigerian education system is not preparing you for the workforce. Start teaching yourself basic etiquette of how to apply for a job and the interview process.

Stop sending emails with no subject title or body in the email. Then you attach your resume and expecting a positive response.

Stop embellishing your resume, only to find your are not anything close to what your resume presents.

Do not put a number on a resume that will be hard for a recruiter to reach you.

And finally, if you applied to a position you should be in your inbox more than social media. I can not tell you how many times I get an email from a candidate a week later saying they are just now seeing my email.
This is the cold hard truth. As much as I want to help Nigerian youths. Many of us are not prepared for employment.

They're coming for your head, anytime I say something like this, they'll attack me.
Meanwhile, to dey browse for interesting posts no dey Taya you? Save yourself the stress and time, Join my WhatsApp TV for hilarious content right on WhatsApp. Check my signature for the phone number.
I dey drop biz talks and advice for job seekers and business owners once once so na full package
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Slynation(m): 11:17am On Jan 13, 2023
Hmmm...But it's kinda obvious some HR already had there preferred candidate they want work with pictured in there head before any interview...!!

Las las, na man dey do man...!!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by SweetVibe: 11:24am On Jan 13, 2023
olisefom:
I was telling a brother of mine about this yesterday.

I run a small business that I employ either SSCE and possibly ND in a local community here in Lagos (with a salary of 40k plus bonuses).

I can boldly say we have a larger percentage of unserious youth.

These ones will simply decline applying further when you tell them to forward a CV mail.

To get positions filled for about 10 staff is a major problem. I sincerely cannot expand because of staffing.
Am interested,can I apply?
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by East2West: 11:28am On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:
I am going to share my experience as a recruiter, hiring executive assistants for several clients. Some may not like what I have to say, but I can only speak my truth.

Do we have a major youth unemployment problem in Nigeria,yes we do. While there is a challenge of not enough positions aligned with educated youths, as a recruiter I have seen there is a portion of the youth that is not serious about employment. Almost a sense of entitlement.

Many Nigerian youths have access to data and social media. That is how people find me and apply to jobs. I would think during your idle time, you would take time and teach yourself new skills and level up. Unfortunately this is not the case for many candidates I interview.

Let's say I have 10 candidates that I want to interview. Only 5 of them will respond to my initial interview. The other 5 candidates never respond.

Out of the 5 candidates that respond to my email, only three of them will be able to demonstrate knowledge of excel and PowerPoint.

Once I meet them in person, two candidates will call me the day of the interview with one long story basically saying they can not come to the interview, and only one candidate will actually be ready to present to a candidate.

After going to this process over and over again, I have started to ask myself is it worth it? I want to help more Nigerians get jobs, but it's clear to me overall we are not serious.
ver 400 resumes I have for EA positions, only 50 resumes have been presentable to clients.

Nigerian youths if there is not anything else you get out of my message, you need to level up. The Nigerian education system is not preparing you for the workforce. Start teaching yourself basic etiquette of how to apply for a job and the interview process.

Stop sending emails with no subject title or body in the email. Then you attach your resume and expecting a positive response.

Stop embellishing your resume, only to find your are not anything close to what your resume presents.

And finally, if you applied to a position you should be in your inbox more than social media. I can not tell you how many times I get an email from a candidate a week later saying they are just now seeing my email.
This is the cold hard truth. As much as I want to help Nigerian youths. Many of us are not prepared for employment.

Sorry, wrong post.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by tesstess(f): 11:31am On Jan 13, 2023
laudate:

Madam, thanks for your epistle. sad But you are not telling the whole truth, about the recruitment process.

Sometimes, you recruiters prefer youth or young age, over experience and aptitude. You will say, "applicants over 25 years old need not apply." What is that supposed to mean?

Another thing you guys do, is to use ATS and other foreign HR software to sift through resumes. And you lose good or valuable candidates in the process, because their CVs or email addresses have not been tailored to conform to some preconceived notion that the HR manager has designed. Nigerian HR Managers have developed all sorts of bylaws or guidelines to suit their ego. sad

You see them saying if your email address does not contain your full name or five letters, then your application goes into the bin. Really?? Who made that law? Are you hiring aptitude or e-mail? shocked

I have seen first class graduates who cross their 'T's and dot their 'i's when it comes to sending online applications. But they are never shortlisted or called up for interviews. undecided At the end of the day, you will see one barely qualified millennial hired for the post, who does not know his/her left from his/her right. He or she got the job because they were related to the Chairman, MD or GM of the firm.

So why waste the time of other more qualified applicants, by subjecting them to the hassle of sending resumes, attending tests or interviews, and making them wait for an interminable period, only for you to go back and hire your preferred candidate through the back door?? shocked

Last but not the least, is the lack of feedback from Nigerian recruiters. What does it cost to send a general email and blind copy unsuccessful applicants, by letting them know they would not be hired after the interview, and thanking them for their time? angry

God bless you for this. I have sent dozens of applications through my email for job vacancy, with proper subject, cover letter and CV since last year but no response , mail or any kind of feedback. Though I haven't given up but it's really painful

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by ibawon(m): 11:36am On Jan 13, 2023
The only thing I can attest to is that you have said the truth. A family friend called me to help recommend a friend at work. After sending you CV tips for over 3 days. Boom employment opportunity shows and you are yet to even open my mail of the other day. Tell me who are we doing
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by olisefom: 11:40am On Jan 13, 2023
SweetVibe:

Am interested,can I apply?

Sure. Kindly dm.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Ayamatanga0: 11:56am On Jan 13, 2023
olisefom:

Sure. Kindly dm.
I'm also interested sir
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by ComradeShegs(m): 12:15pm On Jan 13, 2023
You keep blaming the applicants but the recruiters should also have their share of the blame. Nigerian HRs have a way of frustrating job seekers with unrealistic job requirements. How do you expect a young graduate applying for an entry level job, graduate trainee for that matter to have a 4 year experience?. Some even ask for ICAN, and other professional certificates.

How do you expect them to gain experience if you are all denying them employment?

You talk about PowerPoint and the likes, there are graduates with build up skills but are still being ignored. I myself, I'm building up skills in Data Analytics. I've done numerous online courses on Coursera, Simplilearn and Udemy. I have certificates on Digital Marketing, UI/UX Design, but I still get screened out because of experience or not having a godfather especially for the federal jobs.

I'm currently on a recruitment process for almost 4months now with a Nigeria bank (Name withheld) and even though I've scaled through the CBT test, interviews and medicals, never have my mails been acknowledged. The last time I was asked to submit my waec certificate or a scratch card for verification, of which I did immediately, the mail was never acknowledged. Today is making it 4months and a month after I did my CBT exams and medicals respectively with no feedback.

Please, Nigerian HRs also need to level-up. Most of us get tired attaching our cover letters or tailoring our CVs to suit job descriptions because after hours of doing so, we still get a "love letter" or no response atall.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by ComradeShegs(m): 12:24pm On Jan 13, 2023
Jefferyhi86:
A certain restaurant/hotel in benin is looking for a job of a manager, I applied, no calls, more than a month plus I have even forgotten about it then I received a call from them mto come for an interview, I was ask to write a certain test na does not relate to anything about hospitality, questions were account related, I angrily stood up I told the man in pidgin oga na comp Sci I read na abi u no see my cv, he just said I should just write wat I knw, I bring my fone come out to back it up, who cares if he was looking at me, pple for Nigeria de vex, nọ joy, after the whole bullshit the salary I will be receiving just incase I accept the job is 40,000. Omega hotel /restaurant na ogu go kill una.

grin My guy don vex. E reach to vex
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Sukkyy2010: 12:35pm On Jan 13, 2023
Wahala for who dey find job, I thank God for the typical grace I received. My mindset detest job my mentality radiates job creation. most job in Nigeria is liable to impoverish you being an employee. Assume your monthly salary is 100k Which is gross income, with the earnest spike of inflation you'll hardly manage to save 50%(50k) monthly out of your salary which can only possible if your strictly economical with your monthly expenses e.g cost of feeding, transport and utilities etc.

Now can you ask what ideal amount will be your annual net income keeping to this.
50×12=600k

It'll takes 10 good years of hard work to raise 6million what a life, and the chance keeping to that monthly saving is a tiny line.

I even forgot to include renewal of your annual house rent wish can be estimated to 55% of your monthly gross income 55k which reduces your annual net income to 545k

55k -600k= 545k

So you gonna work your ass for ten years to raise 5.45m, what a life

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by EmperorWIZLAD(m): 12:42pm On Jan 13, 2023
Good day, please how can I contact you? I am an applicant and I posses the basic skills and requirements to stand out
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by darexolu16(m): 12:57pm On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:

with this your post sef it's obvious u are feeling on top of the world already...mr recruiter wic skill u sef get..naxo he easy to acquire skill wen food no dey belle...give them job wen dey start working they will catch up oga

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Thermodynamics(m): 1:13pm On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:

I understand you, however, not everyone is like this, I have coding skills, I have experience with HTML CSS JavaScript Java Spring boot SQL, I'm a fullstack developer and I need a job, how can I reach you?
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Jaaqofalltrade(m): 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2023
You just scratched the surface. The problem is much bigger than that. I don't even want to start. It gives me migraine.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by sisisioge: 2:05pm On Jan 13, 2023
Hmmmm....I was able to find a solution to getting prospective interviewees to actually attend by moving the process to virtual back in the days. They find it convenient and it's a win-win on the long run. Why will they spend time and money getting to your venue when company B is willing to allow them interview in their comfortzones? Try using virtual interviews for all your stages and watch your trend shift.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Exceed15: 2:35pm On Jan 13, 2023
Abegii.. if you like do more professional courses and add to your CV it is still about who you know. For big organization, forget your perfect cv.. even the recruiter has relatives who need jobs. Una go just dey frustrate people up n down.

Basically, work on yourself and talk to people that can assist you where they are established. They will give you information and guide your application, push it for you. This is what I have experienced.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by nihinlade(m): 2:38pm On Jan 13, 2023
Hmmm
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by InvertedHammer: 3:01pm On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:

/
Good observations.

But if the recruiters themselves are subjected to scrutiny, how many will make it? Some recruiters passed through the same process of nepotism or payment-for-employment. Generally there is a dearth of professionalism in Nigeria and that's what is being reflected in the general population. I believe that sometimes it is good not to be too rigid to the dictates of textbooks. Someone else wrote those books with certain business cultures in mind that has no local content.

/

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by OVB123: 3:26pm On Jan 13, 2023
fbtowner:
i basically dont see much truth here it is very difficult for most fresh graduate to get a job, if u manage to see one they will restrict u with location

fraustration is the main reason most graduate just send cv anyhow

as a job seeker i av applied for over 100 jobs with ur so call message body or cover letter and header, not a single interview because there is no experience ,until i lie about experience

u guys need to do more and stop acting like u dont know how fraustrating joblessness can be
Please, tell them the truth.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Offpoint1: 3:53pm On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:

Please, any available position Graphics Designer/Digital marketer?

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by tomzyELNINO: 5:49pm On Jan 13, 2023
Oga, do your job. There are many serious candidates out there. If everyone was serious, then what's the essence of interview? Is it not to screen out unqualified candidates?

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Awesome007(m): 8:00pm On Jan 13, 2023
futuregovernor:
Commot for road and park well! Someone will spend his or her hard end money,pay transport come interview......,d person will not hear from such employer or recruiter's again if he/she is successful or not. Some employers/ recruiter's in Nigeria always behave like god's as if applicants don't have an option. Mr busy body,stop posting rubbish

Nigerians are good at generalising. How many interviews have you gone for that you personally send a mail requesting for feedback?
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Powersurge: 8:28pm On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:

Thank you for sharing your professional experience with us.

I have been able to quadruple my income since 2019 due largely to the level of skills I have acquired during the period.

Personally, I feel more and more youths are losing interest in 9-5.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by chukel(m): 8:43pm On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:

most Nigerian youths are not employable. All they know is hurling insults on social media and looking for free giveaway. Very lazy lots.
Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by phemmyfour: 8:54pm On Jan 13, 2023
DaBogu:

Will you buy data for them? Some of them don't even have smartphones. If you really want to give them job, call or text them

Naija recruiters and almighty rules n regulations

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie by Fakelondonboi(m): 10:47am On Jan 14, 2023
YOU ACTUALLY MADE SOME POINTS BUT NOT BUYING THESE...
WHAT HAPPENED TO TRAINING OF CANDIDATES BEFORE BEEN EMPLOYED?

WHY THE AGE RESTRICTIONS? DO U GUYS ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT WE ARE GOING THROUGH,AFTER NYSC THREE YEARS DOWN THE LINE NO JOB AS IN JOB AND ONE'S AGE IS GOING AND SOMEONE WOULD SAY JOB SEEKERS AGE SHOULD NOT EXCEED 25 YEARS WTF

DO U KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING IT IS ..WE KEEP SENDING AND SENDING AND NO RESPONSE AND U WANT US TO TAKE THIS PROCESS SERIOUS,...WE JUST HAVE TO MOVE ON EVEN IF ITS TO DRIVE KEKE TO SURVIVE,WE ARE GROWING OLD,WHEN WE SAVE UP DEN WE CAN LEARN SKILLS TO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER BUSINESS WE DOING

EDUCATION IS GOOD BUT NIGERIA SYSTEM OF EMPLOYMENT IS RUBBISH

I REMEMBER MY MOM ALWAYS TELLING ME HOW THE COMPANY SHE WORKED TRAINED DEM , WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS DAYS?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Cooking And Selling Moi-moi Really Profitable Here In Lagos? / Citibank Nigeria Limited Latest Job Recruitment (3 Positions) / Senate To End Underground Recruitment Into Federal Agencies – Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 189
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.