Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,335 members, 7,815,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland - Crime (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland (52685 Views)

Obinwanne Okeke "InvictusObi" Pleads Guilty To ₦4.2 Billion Fraud / Invictus Obi: Nairaland Post That Led FBI To Arrest Obinwanne Okeke / Obinwanne Okeke Aka Invictus Obi Busted By FBI (Full Details) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CeterisXVIII: 12:03am On Aug 17, 2019
J4JUVENTUS:
And they will say Nairaland is a faceless forum grin

Do shit and show ur identity on Nairaland ,then you go know how far....

Who see this one before now,you will think he made it legitimately..Then you will be asking your creator why me?.. You won't know,you're even better off.. Atleast ,your peace of mind is sure... No fear of Sars,efcc or FBI..
But when these bad boys start flaunting their ill-gotten wealth online on NL, and you raise questions about the source of such wealth, some of their mindless supporters will attack you, and insult you saying that you are suffering from bad-belle and a poor man's mentality! angry

By the time you turn round to give them a taste of their own insulting medicine, their fan club within the moderators clique on NL, will turn round to ban you due to their stuvpidity. sad

Wubbish!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CeterisXVIII: 12:06am On Aug 17, 2019
joeluv:
Greed. A whole $12 million. What manner of greed is this. All this get rich by force people. I wonder how many years he wld get. Very disturbing.
Why are you disturbed? When he was enjoying the ill-gotten wealth he obtained by crooked means, did he tell you about it? Let him rot in jail, o jare!! shocked
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by mypains: 12:10am On Aug 17, 2019
romeo:
I searched the internet for this news story and the only link available was this nairaland topic.. Fake news?

Your mama born u well, ur papa train u well, your brain dey work. This is an undercover work. To tarnish the guys image for sure. But many Nigerians do not understand these things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by dochenaj: 12:12am On Aug 17, 2019
They had the email address and Nairaland helped them link it to a person. Not a big deal, any good reverse search on an email address will reveal a lot of information.
The case is not that solid, a good defense counsel will win it. It is all founded on the validity of the source.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by GMBuhari: 12:13am On Aug 17, 2019
Jacinthe:

The truth is that, in this age, the concept of privacy is an illusion. Especially for those who use the android phone.

About 2 weeks ago, I stumbled on a list of all my saved passwords under some settings on my phone. Both those I used years ago and have already forgotten. To say I was shocked is an understatement.

It's just crazy.

I've said it repeatedly Google is AI designed to take over Internet completely in a few years

Not just that, as you've rightly pointed out Google archives everything from location (if you use GPS alot) to search histories ( when you sign in to Google)

The oga pátápátá is signing in Gmail on android mobile device and using it to scam, ordinary tracking apps can remotely turn on your location, gather all your browsing history, the apps you use, the name, type and imei of your device , so imagine what Google can do

Go to accounts on android settings and see all your connected apps, you will be shocked beyond words

Internet never really forgets, I learnt even if you format your computer FBI will recover then from your hard drive!!!!
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CodeTemplar: 12:13am On Aug 17, 2019
I read the screenshots and from what I understand, the process began from an FBI informant within a security firm who identified a particular email address in a phishing related scam.
After that they tracked the address to Google with the aid of a warrant obtained with evidence from the first paragraph. Through Google's extensive cookie use and storage system they were able to obtain other email addresses that were being operated from same PC were the initial phishing scam related email was operated.

One of such address was googled up and revealed it was associated to a Nairaland account 'invictusobi', from there they linked that new moniker to an Instagram profile and a company being operated openly by a known and traceable face.

.........................................................................................................
Looking at it all, the sharing of data between FBI and google was key in solving this crime. The warrant obtained also was key.
Also the fact that the guy managed his legit email account with same PC with which he managed his phishing email account nailed him.

Let me also add that Nairaland didn't rat him out but he willingly gave out his own legit email address on nairaland not thinking Google will reveal other accounts he operated alongside that email account. One of such email was the one he user to register domains for his phishing scam and it it was detected by the FBI mole in that security firm.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CyberWolf: 12:16am On Aug 17, 2019
Some dumb people here talking what they don’t know. The guy killed himself when he linked his real email with his fraud email. Someone pulling shiits of this magnitude need not be on instagram or even Twitter. The guy was so dumb to the extent that he created NL account with his real email address, Instagram username on profile, picture on profile, who does that? .... He is very dumb. All the tracking wouldn’t have lead anywhere had it been he didn’t link his real email address to fraud one, have a large online presence like NL, FB, IG, Twitter, all linked to his real email address. If you’re a G, stay away from anything social media. If you must do social media, use a separate system/device.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by gidjah(m): 12:26am On Aug 17, 2019
mrAMG2:
Shet!

This is why I don’t trust and can’t use google. They collect information you won’t believe even you had.

I’m uninstalling chrome today.
they do big time bro, with google chrome your identity is as open as a fowl nyansh !got almost mad when a company called me last week that they got my contact through opera !!chei , we need to be careful with links or sites this days o.I also need to let go that stupid chrome but which other site can do better by keeping this terms and condition as honest as possible ?America is spying o. The while world gradually !do u notice China and the likes do not promote Opera or chrome ?? They once told us they are spy wares app and software's we doubted them and alas ,we are here now

2 Likes

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by Chiemezueajuzie: 12:27am On Aug 17, 2019
Waaw
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CodeTemplar: 12:27am On Aug 17, 2019
CyberWolf:
Some dumb people here talking what they don’t know. The guy killed himself when he linked his real email with his fraud email. Someone pulling shiits of this magnitude need not be on instagram or even Twitter. The guy was so dumb to the extent that he created NL account with his real email address, Instagram username on profile, picture on profile, who does that? .... He is very dumb.
Even you are missing it. He willingly gave his email address up on Nairaland like most of us do ( save me ). What he didn't bank on was Google releasing his cookie details to FBI. Google isn't to Blame too because they released it on the strength of a warrant within the USA. the warrant was possible because an FBI mole within a computer security firm identified the an email address in a phishing scam and reported back to FBI. Only the mole part I an not sure of. But what triggered the trail was pure computer security work and I see no snitching involved by either the security firm, FBI, Google, or Nairaland. It wasn't his lucky day at all and above all he released his email on Nairaland.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by gidjah(m): 12:28am On Aug 17, 2019
CyberWolf:
Some dumb people here talking what they don’t know. The guy killed himself when he linked his real email with his fraud email. Someone pulling shiits of this magnitude need not be on instagram or even Twitter. The guy was so dumb to the extent that he created NL account with his real email address, Instagram username on profile, picture on profile, who does that? .... He is very dumb.
don't mind him, should have changed profile name.sef,whats with this social media craze ??
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by richkal(m): 12:30am On Aug 17, 2019
No wonder those Superpowers have their own version of every online outlet US owns. For instance,

Google
Baidu (China)
Yandex (Russia)
Naver (Korea) etc

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CodeTemplar: 12:33am On Aug 17, 2019
GMBuhari:

I've said it repeatedly Google is AI designed to take over Internet completely in a few years

Not just that, as you've rightly pointed out Google archives everything from location (if you use GPS alot) to search histories ( when you sign in to Google)

The oga pátápátá is signing in Gmail on android mobile device and using it to scam, ordinary tracking apps can remotely turn on your location, gather all your browsing history, the apps you use, the name, type and imei of your device , so imagine what Google can do

Go to accounts on android settings and see all your connected apps, you will be shocked beyond words

Internet never really forgets, I learnt even if you format your computer FBI will recover then from your hard drive!!!!

Google is powerful agreed but they are bound to cooperate if FBI approaches with a warrabt saying so so and so account ending with ...@gnail.com is involved in a phishing scam. That is what Google did in this case. They did no big thing wrong.

The ability of FBI to read deleted messages from drives is limited. Just understand how they do it and you will know how to beat that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CodeTemplar: 12:39am On Aug 17, 2019
AngelicBeing:
tongue
Nothing to be afraid of if you don't post your email like invictusobi did.

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by Mftivi: 12:42am On Aug 17, 2019
GMBuhari:

Drill four holes on your hard drive in a specific area and the data is lost forever.

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by Mftivi: 12:44am On Aug 17, 2019
Some people don't rally understand the importance of privacy. Everyone needs privacy not only scammers.

2 Likes

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by Bignuell(m): 1:21am On Aug 17, 2019
Adiwana:

Incognito?? grin grin That shii don't do nada for you as it only doesnt store cookies on your browser.Your ISP still keeps your data.

Your best bet is a VM with a good socket 5 proxy while changing the mac-address of your VM so that it cannot be traced back to the network of your host thereby busting your host mac add which then leads to them busting you
Please what is VM?
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CyberWolf: 1:24am On Aug 17, 2019
Bignuell:
Please what is VM?
Virtual Machine
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by Came4amod: 1:25am On Aug 17, 2019
Beblessedbaba:
Those crocks are getting more ideals on how to beat the system albeit temporarily. Pls let them enjoy the temporary fraudulent wealth by not giving out inform on how to beat the system. Yes agreed some of those things can slip using the right tools. Most are half educated to know how to beat the system. The white cyborg crew should not assist them by giving info out. They will all end up in jail if they do not turn to legit means of livelihood.
Everything we said here is either somewhere in youtube or google just need to look well
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by Came4amod: 1:28am On Aug 17, 2019
Beblessedbaba:
Spot on VM - Virtual machine hosted using VMware or hypervisor. don't tell me you are not a Technology consultant..
YouTube consultant
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by Came4amod: 1:31am On Aug 17, 2019
Trizyd:

Bro, cookie is a different thing.. I agree with the other guy saying socks. I only relating to how he was caught. Google has the IP address of every device interacting with their server. All they need was the log of that particular email. Cookie encrypted or not, IP will reflect. It's even better to encrypt his email using a public key. Or better still why must he use Gmail as his phishing email.. The report said they found an invoice of domain names that he used to host phishing pages. He could have simply hosted a mail server on his domain and encrypt it.

The guy was just careless and lack basic anonymity skills. I'm not into crime but if today I'm to go into it, I know how to save myself. And damn $12,000,000 c'mon, you will have law enforcement in your ass.. He won't even spend $5,000 to stay completely off grid
Bro the fact is if FBI or interpol is on your ass .. They even have more than 5000$ to spend on forensics to fish you out .. So it a matter of time .. Best is not to leave any foot print at all .. Then they have more WOR to do .. Even tor or ur encryption can be broken its a matter of time .. Best Is to stay out of peoples money .. There at many legal ways to make money online that FBI will not be looking for you

7 Likes

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by Happyfela(m): 1:39am On Aug 17, 2019
True talk
MyGeneration:

stop saying what u dont know. nobody is monitoring u except u have something to hide, the world is too big for any govt to dedicate trillions to be monitoring everybody. its only people who go as far as popping up the radar.

12million dollars is too big for the owner to just relinquish to a Nigerian scammer.

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by ItsMeAboki(m): 2:04am On Aug 17, 2019
tot:

Serious issues are being discussed, you are talking about the same ole stuff like a broken record. Grow up abeg!! Childishness. You guys just won't think straight, tribalism has eaten deep into your psyches and brains. Pain ko, pain ni. Does it look like I'm in the same level as your fellow tribalists here? If you have nothing positive to add to the discussion, go and sleep. This is not politics section where you guys shamelessly drag yourselves.

Who are you to decide what is important and what isn't or gave you the authority to censor me or anybody else here and therefore interfere with my right to freedom of speech?

You are obviously giving yourself more importance than you actually are.

Accordingly you have two options here: either address the issue raised or completely keep your mouth shut; otherwise you have no right whatsoever to determine what I or anyone can say - the forum does not belong to you; so deal with it.

3 Likes

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by haryomikun(m): 2:12am On Aug 17, 2019
Inspectorsuga22:
Open web search redirected them n linked them up to nairaland...it's obvious the owners of this forum have failed to invest in the security of this site. Well as for me, this post will not stop me from criticising that tyrant in aso rock. Maybe him n his dss can also turn me to a celebrity....
Dull post.

Is Nairaland Forum a secret cult? Ase
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by haryomikun(m): 2:15am On Aug 17, 2019
mrAMG2:
Shet!

This is why I don’t trust and can’t use google. They collect information you won’t believe even you had.

I’m uninstalling chrome today.
If you like uninstall so far you use American e-mail services, dem go still discover your IP

BTW Gmail shows information on IP activity in the account information arena. Na you no explore am well

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by haryomikun(m): 2:22am On Aug 17, 2019
Adiwana:

Incognito?? grin grin That shii don't do nada for you as it only doesnt store cookies on your browser.Your ISP still keeps your data.

Your best bet is a VM with a good socket 5 proxy while changing the mac-address of your VM so that it cannot be traced back to the network of your host thereby busting your host mac add which then leads to them busting you
VM kolewerk

You'd still need to pay for an RDP with your debit card details. Dem go still bust you that way grin

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by michealdeco: 2:30am On Aug 17, 2019
romeo:
I searched the internet for this news story and the only link available was this nairaland topic.. Fake news?
no link you say?

He's Twitter account have been deleted, all his post on pulse ng deleted and many other platforms etc
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:38am On Aug 17, 2019
If he wasn't caught, the "Igbo amaka" chorus is what will be renting the air. He is even employing graduates. I don't trust most millionaires and billionaire philanthropist in Nigeria angry

6 Likes

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by dingbang(m): 2:45am On Aug 17, 2019
Adeling:
some nairaland folks right now to take down their real identity (& pics
not only ends there.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by CyberWolf: 3:01am On Aug 17, 2019
haryomikun:

VM kolewerk

You'd still need to pay for an RDP with your debit card details. Dem go still bust you that way grin
Who pays for rdp with debit card?

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by 9jayes: 3:11am On Aug 17, 2019
seuncyrus:

You have the full details, why not take it up

Working on it, also the details is to let the internet know it may stands against her one day.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke: FBI Tracked, Arrested $12m Wire Fraud Suspect Via Nairaland by AnthonyAk(m): 3:36am On Aug 17, 2019
E money is next

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

57-Year-Old Woman Dies After Sex Romp With Lover In Lagos / Bandits Shoot At Passengers On Kaduna Highway, 9 People Killed (Photos) / Enugu Man Inflicts Injuries On His Sister Over Their Father's Property (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.