Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,383 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) (1662 Views)

Please Help, Depression Is Killing Me. / Reasons Why Depression Is On The Rise / How Guys Want Females Nowadays (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
NL_NATION
CB

People seem lonely and depressed even more so than in past times. Can science help us understand why? Loneliness and depression seem to be in every household now, leading to feelings of hopelessness and even attempts of suicide. So, why is it so much worse than before?

Science has reasons for this modern increase in loneliness and feelings of depression, and it’s interesting, to say the least.

Here are a few reasons for this increase:

i. MATERIALISM

Materialism has become an addiction for almost everyone, and if you can’t afford to keep up, you may find yourself stricken with loneliness and depression. The reason why we’re depressed is that we’ve grown used to acquiring more and more with no end in sight.

If we really took the time to realize that these things are only temporal, useless after death, then maybe we would slow down and enjoy
something else for a change . Happiness, trust me, is not found in material possessions.

ii. Avoiding Nature

Nature has this ability to lift the spirits in the most amazing ways. The breeze, the chirps of insects, and the earth itself all improve mental health. Many believe that just placing your bare feet upon the earth at least once a day improves your health and mood – it’s called grounding.

People seem more lonely and in the throws of depression because they don’t go outside as much as they used to. Most of the time, electronics and technology take first place over going outside to enjoy the weather. I fear it will only get worse if we don’t wake up and notice the direction our lives are going.

iii. Lack of physical activity

Just like most people avoid going outside, they seem to also be avoiding any sort of physical activity too. It’s so much easier to do things without moving around.

There is a decrease in hiking, camping, and fishing now, replaced by indoor activities like watching movies and playing video games.

Our brains are actually changing so that we prefer these indoor activities and feel more comfortable doing these things. And this is making us more lonely and more depressed as time goes by considering our physical and mental states are connected.

iv. Diet

As you already know, fresh and organic foods are good for you, both physically and mentally. This means processed foods and fast foods have the opposite effect. It has been proven that fast foods, especially commercially baked foods, hamburgers, and hotdogs can cause an increase in depression.

Feeling lonely and a bit depressed? Well, it could be the food you’re eating . Now, as far as humans being more depressed than in decades before, well, that’s because fast foods, processed foods, and food additives have increased greatly.

2 Likes

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by ednut1(m): 12:03pm On Aug 18, 2019
The world today is harder. Social media too is making many feel like failures

4 Likes

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 18, 2019
ednut1:
The world today is harder. Social media too is making many feel like failures

Exactly! People can't withstand the REALITY we called "civilization"

2 Likes

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 18, 2019
Westernization is the cause. Traditional societies like Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe are perfectly fine. Poverty is the only problem we have in Africa

3 Likes

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 18, 2019
You are right but the main reason why depression is on its increase these days is Lack of Love. We all are to busy with ourselves that we do not notice the next person close to us. When we do, its only to compete, compare and contract. Lol a friend of mine (guy) once told me that I made a mistake by showing a lady I took as my friend my weakness, at first I questioned him but later I realized he was right after all and I asked Where's love?

Like every other social problems, depression starts within the Family. Family subconsciously set high goals for another.The wife demands more from the husband, the husband reciprocate pushing each other to limits while the children observe. Unfortunately the child grows and continues to experience what other families inject into the society then conclude that it isn't worth it. No love at home, school or community. We are just so into ourselves to care.

If only we can pay a little more attention to how our actions affects the other being we will have less depressed people around us.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by thesicilian: 12:28pm On Aug 18, 2019
Granted there are a lot of factors today that are way beyond our control, life generally is easy if we want to pursue the simple life. The moment you start comparing your life to others', things start getting complicated.

At the end of the day every case of depression and suicide should be viewed on an individual basis and there is no one size fits all.

2 Likes

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by daddytime(m): 12:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
MariaLavina:
You are right but the main reason why depression is on its increase these days is Lack of Love. We all are to busy with ourselves that we do not notice the next person close to us. When we do, its only to compete, compare and contract. Lol a friend of mine (guy) once told me that I made a mistake by showing a lady I took as my friend my weakness, at first I questioned him but later I realized he was right after all and I asked Where's love?

Like every other social problems, depression starts within the Family. Family subconsciously set high goals for another.The wife demands more from the husband, the husband reciprocate pushing each other to limits while the children observe. Unfortunately the child grows and continues to experience what other families inject into the society then conclude that it isn't worth it. No love at home, school or community. We are just so into ourselves to care.

If only we can pay a little more attention to how our actions affects the other being we will have less depressed people around us.

Apt and succinctly put.

Thumbs up...

1 Like

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 18, 2019
daddytime:

Apt and succinctly put.
Thumbs up...
Thank you. smiley
Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 18, 2019
lilbest4:
Westernization is the cause. Traditional societies like Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe are perfectly fine. Poverty is the only problem we have in Africa

Lack of moral values is the real enemy not poverty. In a fraudulent society, poverty is certain.

1 Like

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by PrimadonnaO(f): 12:39pm On Aug 18, 2019
The endlessness of it all...

1 Like

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 18, 2019
MariaLavina:

Yeah... LOVE cures all ills
Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by daddytime(m): 1:29pm On Aug 18, 2019
MariaLavina:
Thank you. smiley

You are welcome sis..
Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Rockrunner: 6:06pm On Aug 18, 2019
People are in a hurry to do everything. See how many time management experts have appeared. People were in no hurry in the 19-20 century. They lived as they could. They were in no hurry and everything was perfect. If you live in your rhythm now, then you are a failure. Those who constantly hurry somewhere earn money. I do not know how this works, but it is true. because of this rush, people get depressed.

1 Like

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by gerizzim: 6:37pm On Aug 18, 2019
lordskid:
NL_NATION
CB

People seem lonely and depressed even more so than in past times. Can science help us understand why? Loneliness and depression seem to be in every household now, leading to feelings of hopelessness and even attempts of suicide. So, why is it so much worse than before?

Science has reasons for this modern increase in loneliness and feelings of depression, and it’s interesting, to say the least.

Here are a few reasons for this increase:

i. MATERIALISM

Materialism has become an addiction for almost everyone, and if you can’t afford to keep up, you may find yourself stricken with loneliness and depression. The reason why we’re depressed is that we’ve grown used to acquiring more and more with no end in sight.

If we really took the time to realize that these things are only temporal, useless after death, then maybe we would slow down and enjoy
something else for a change . Happiness, trust me, is not found in material possessions.

ii. Avoiding Nature

Nature has this ability to lift the spirits in the most amazing ways. The breeze, the chirps of insects, and the earth itself all improve mental health. Many believe that just placing your bare feet upon the earth at least once a day improves your health and mood – it’s called grounding.

People seem more lonely and in the throws of depression because they don’t go outside as much as they used to. Most of the time, electronics and technology take first place over going outside to enjoy the weather. I fear it will only get worse if we don’t wake up and notice the direction our lives are going.

iii. Lack of physical activity

Just like most people avoid going outside, they seem to also be avoiding any sort of physical activity too. It’s so much easier to do things without moving around.

There is a decrease in hiking, camping, and fishing now, replaced by indoor activities like watching movies and playing video games.

Our brains are actually changing so that we prefer these indoor activities and feel more comfortable doing these things. And this is making us more lonely and more depressed as time goes by considering our physical and mental states are connected.

iv. Diet

As you already know, fresh and organic foods are good for you, both physically and mentally. This means processed foods and fast foods have the opposite effect. It has been proven that fast foods, especially commercially baked foods, hamburgers, and hotdogs can cause an increase in depression.

Feeling lonely and a bit depressed? Well, it could be the food you’re eating . Now, as far as humans being more depressed than in decades before, well, that’s because fast foods, processed foods, and food additives have increased greatly.

1. Repeated failure/consistent setback
2.unexpressed expectations
3.issues/conflicts from the home
4.toxic boss at place of work
5.low self-esteem
6.bleak future
7. Bad economy

The list is inexhaustible. God help us all wen issues of life weigh us dwn in Jesus name .

2 Likes

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 18, 2019
What you wouldnt say is that it is more common with men and the reason is cos society has begun to emasculate men thus making them feel worthless.....!!

1 Like

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Junkie1: 6:55pm On Aug 18, 2019
NICE WRITE UP... I PERSONALLY BLAME IT ON SOCIETY EVERYBODY JUST WANTS TO USE YOU AS SOON AS THEY SEE YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON I'VE SEEN GOOD PEOPLE GET SCREWED OVER MORE TIMES THAN I CAN COUNT THAT SHIT IS MAD DEPRESSING IT'S WHY I DECIDED TO STOP GIVING A FVCK ABOUT PEOPLE I MEAN IT'S GETS DEPRESSING SOMETIMES THAT WAY TOO BUT IT'S BETTER TO BE THAT ZERO FVCKS TO GUY THAT GUY WHO GETS FVCKED OVER

DON'T TRUST NO ONE ..

1 Like

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by Powersurge: 7:00pm On Aug 18, 2019
people will just sit behind their keyboards and think they know why certain things happen to certain people.

I laugh at people that say people that commit suicide are weak. Just pray to God not to let things that are bigger than you come your way. There is a saying that he who has not seen trouble will think he is a man.

Hitler committed suicide. If you think you have stronger will than him, by all means suite yourself. We have seen people committing suicide across every spectrum of life, millionaires, clegies, poor people, students, professors, illiterates, name them.

Man is a complex being. Someone said, "I love life. I dare not take my life. I have been without a job for the past 5 years. I am still surviving". Great talk! That same person under another condition, say, he discovered that the four children he had actually belong to another man, could effortlessly take his life.

let's watch and pray.

4 Likes

Re: Why Depression Is On The Rise Nowadays. (photos) by after7: 10:41pm On Aug 18, 2019
The spiritual leads the physical

(1) (Reply)

Man Stabs Lover To Death For Picking Another Man's Phone Call In Bauchi (video) / Ladies Has No Moral Right To Expose Themselves Through Sex, Until Marriage! / A Friend Needs An Urgent Advice On His Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.