Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,677 members, 7,809,572 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? (62184 Views)

My Dad's Driver First Child Looks Different From The Rest, I'm Worried / Worried About My 1year Marriage! / My Husband Doesn't Want Me To Be Close To His Brothers. Is He Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by nappy760(m): 6:06am On Aug 21, 2019
Are you a single mum?....it sounds like his act of rebellion is due to such but the behaviours you have mentioned seem to be that of a genius.....

He seems to excel at what he considers important and regard every other thing as unimportant
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by gnykelly(m): 6:07am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Although it's not allowed here but I've moved from smacking to beating now but no change in his behaviour. I fear this boy will put me into trouble one day or grow up to hate me. I'm thinking of sending him to naija for one school semester but hubby refused.

Let him come and complete his secondary education in Nigeria... He will learn and thank you in the future... My cousin was like that... But now he relish those moment. He is among the the top percentile of Nigerian in USA

2 Likes

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Lexusgs430: 6:07am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:
My son will be 9 in October but his behaviour bothers me so much. He acts like a day dreamer. He has turned me into a shouting and miserable mum as I had to beat him after I've exhausted other punishment options. To make this short, I'm going to summarise his behaviour.

He still cannot get himself ready for school in the morning. Either he doesnt cream his body or forgets to comb his hair or doesnt brush his teeth. He forgets to brush his teeth almost everyday. This made me to make a list of step by step sticker. I sticked this on their bathroom mirror and on his bedroom wall. Yet I have to keep reminding him everyday. For example, last week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday he forgot to brush his teeth and hair. I have to constantly be reminding him every morning. He is the only one that brushes teeth after getting ready. I trained them to brush teeth first before shower but he keeps forgetting.

I have to remind him to do his homework, and put it back in his school bag to return to school on Mondays. The book will still not make it to the school even after constant reminder. We've lost countless of lunch bags. One ended up on school roof. If you give him any form to submit back to his teacher. He will forget in his bag so I now give it to his sister to give to his teacher.

He removes his clothes, shoes, pants, belts etc and leave them on the floor, I bought two laundry baskets for him. One in his room, another in their bathroom, yet all his belongings end up on the floor that you can hardly find a space to put a foot. I dont expect him to be perfect but atleast to try so that his 70% clothes make it to the basket or shoes to their racks. He also has a book shelf and desk yet they also end up on the floor.

He plays so much that sometimes he leaves shops with items in his hands. So I have to always watch out for him. Living in a western country where black boys are stereotyped I fear for him. He can stare at the ceiling for hrs when getting ready for school or spend long time in the shower yet not using soap on his body. This usually makes us late unless I step in to help or keep shouting.

If you ask him to do any house chores, he will not do it instead waiting for us to forget so he can get away with it. When grounded not to watch TV, he will still do it once he knows am inside my room or busy with a baby.

Yesterday we revised all his lesson assignments (5 work books). I specifically asked him to put them in his lesson bag. I pointed at the bag. Now I drop him at the lesson only for him to say oh I think I came with old lesson books. I dont know how he ended up with old books in his bag. It could be he planned it as a way to avoid the lesson. If not I wonder how he will remember it himself as soon as I drop him and his sister as this is unlike him.

I've taken him to a doctor incase there is any diagnosis so I can give him all the help he needs but they said it's just his behaviour because according to the doctor he is smart academically. He is 18months ahead of his year level. So they ruled ADHD out.

Have you actually had a discussion with your son and working on his own schedules?

If any spectrum deficiencies has been ruled out..... He would grow out of it.........
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by thecommunist(m): 6:16am On Aug 21, 2019
this may be signs of serious bullying at school.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by sykah(f): 6:16am On Aug 21, 2019
Ship him to your village in Nigeria the next time he is on hols, by the time sandfiy and village stress hit him, it will reconfigure his brain...only then will you stress less

2 Likes

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by AjalaDtraveller(f): 6:16am On Aug 21, 2019
Based on my experience with doctors abroad, I would say you should get a second, third, fourth, fifth opinion. Some doctors take non emergency cases for granted. Your boy should be seeing a child Councillor /physcologist to help with his deficiencies.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by smogup: 6:20am On Aug 21, 2019
What ever you do please don't send the boy back to Nigeria.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Nobody: 6:26am On Aug 21, 2019
If he plays too much, it means he is very smart and hyper active, i was like that... So disorganized but I wasn't throwing and forgetting my books tho, maybe your son is on a other level.. He is like a burning star, keep correcting him for some few years when he comes of age he will stop being hyper active then he can concentrate on work... Also find out if he really likes school so you can point him in the right direction early enough
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Rbae: 6:27am On Aug 21, 2019
Do you have relatives in Nigeria? Please, send him down and allow him stay here till he finishes SS3. He will change sharpily. Thats what my aunt did to her daughter cos she can't beat her.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by JeffreyLiaison(m): 6:32am On Aug 21, 2019
Exactly the way your boy is, that is the way I was, even up till now somehow.
When I was I primary and junior school, my mum was always angry with me in the morning, others would be done preparing but with me something would be wrong.
Maybe she would wake me up and I would go back to sleep or I would be behaving sluggishly.
My mum used to beat me and I appreciated that, now I am 16 and have less of those things in me.

My advice in here is discipline, but not the when you would pour hot water or use pressing iron.

I am one of those who still think corporal punishment should be retained, discipline the child, it was well stated in the Bible but it is just that some people take discipline too far.

Your decision lies on you, what do you think is good for your child

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by MrFly(m): 6:34am On Aug 21, 2019
Hollywood calling
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Trezagezz: 6:36am On Aug 21, 2019
Beating Is never an option.. I did equally same and my mum dad tried all he could to know avail.. all I ended up getting him is hate but my mum stood by me correcting, advising with little beat when it's obvious that am going off the lane but I must tell you when the public sense comes I am the one correcting myself and today I am a graduate with four professional qualifications..
Today my dad claims that his hate and over knacking with Roman Reigns smackdown corrected me...
You as a woman with his age or class mates will do the work when time comes....
Let him be rough n crazy but guide him through getting close to illicit lifestyle...
God bless you and your family...

jess2019:
My son will be 9 in October but his behaviour bothers me so much. He acts like a day dreamer. He has turned me into a shouting and miserable mum as I had to beat him after I've exhausted other punishment options. To make this short, I'm going to summarise his behaviour.

He still cannot get himself ready for school in the morning. Either he doesnt cream his body or forgets to comb his hair or doesnt brush his teeth. He forgets to brush his teeth almost everyday. This made me to make a list of step by step sticker. I sticked this on their bathroom mirror and on his bedroom wall. Yet I have to keep reminding him everyday. For example, last week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday he forgot to brush his teeth and hair. I have to constantly be reminding him every morning. He is the only one that brushes teeth after getting ready. I trained them to brush teeth first before shower but he keeps forgetting.

I have to remind him to do his homework, and put it back in his school bag to return to school on Mondays. The book will still not make it to the school even after constant reminder. We've lost countless of lunch bags. One ended up on school roof. If you give him any form to submit back to his teacher. He will forget in his bag so I now give it to his sister to give to his teacher.

He removes his clothes, shoes, pants, belts etc and leave them on the floor, I bought two laundry baskets for him. One in his room, another in their bathroom, yet all his belongings end up on the floor that you can hardly find a space to put a foot. I dont expect him to be perfect but atleast to try so that his 70% clothes make it to the basket or shoes to their racks. He also has a book shelf and desk yet they also end up on the floor.

He plays so much that sometimes he leaves shops with items in his hands. So I have to always watch out for him. Living in a western country where black boys are stereotyped I fear for him. He can stare at the ceiling for hrs when getting ready for school or spend long time in the shower yet not using soap on his body. This usually makes us late unless I step in to help or keep shouting.

If you ask him to do any house chores, he will not do it instead waiting for us to forget so he can get away with it. When grounded not to watch TV, he will still do it once he knows am inside my room or busy with a baby.

Yesterday we revised all his lesson assignments (5 work books). I specifically asked him to put them in his lesson bag. I pointed at the bag. Now I drop him at the lesson only for him to say oh I think I came with old lesson books. I dont know how he ended up with old books in his bag. It could be he planned it as a way to avoid the lesson. If not I wonder how he will remember it himself as soon as I drop him and his sister as this is unlike him.

I've taken him to a doctor incase there is any diagnosis so I can give him all the help he needs but they said it's just his behaviour because according to the doctor he is smart academically. He is 18months ahead of his year level. So they ruled ADHD out.

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Abdulmohas(m): 6:36am On Aug 21, 2019
Can you call me to tell u what to do, or the medicine to us. My guy also pass through same issue, but thank God he is fine now.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by mamajj17(f): 6:37am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Madam am also in the System, having Boys being made in Western World takes alot of Determination and Courage, moreso does he has a Hobby? If not, get him One, mostly especially Football, at least Two times in a Week, Sport helps most Boys alot , Therapies also help at least Children Therapy through his Doctor could also be very helpful. Stop beating, it damages his Self Esteem, Stop Shouting it makes him more tough and adamant, it kills his Courage as well. Am saying all this cos ve gotten Three Boys. All the very Best Madam and try all this Tipps out. Stay blessed
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by idonhammer: 6:39am On Aug 21, 2019
Hunting wetin,you want mother and son to be kidnapped?

Snowstorm:
Go with him for hunting in the woods, he needs to learn how to survive you'll be surprised what he can do. He's way smarter than u think!!!
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by UKusedBoyfriend(m): 6:39am On Aug 21, 2019
majamajic:

when u described him , I know he got talent.

that's how stars do
you were right after all grin
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 21, 2019
o42austino:
never use food to punish a child

Why? Guess you didn't read Enid Blyton's book while growing up. There's one of her books called the "Sneezing powder and other stories." In one of the stories titled "You're late," Bessie was doing almost everything Op's son is doing. So her mum decided to teach her a lesson through food.

Whenever she wakes up late, no one is saving breakfast for her, she goes to school hungry. When she is meant to clean up and she wastes time daydreaming, no one keeps food for her, she goes to bed hungry. It didn't take long for her to learn.

If op can do this, I believe the believe the boy will become more present in his immediate surrounding.

When he comes down to eat, ask him "Are you done with your assignment?" If he has not, no food for him until he does. "Where is your lunch basket?" no lunch basket for some days. Unless they don't allow these measures where she lives.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Brodagovernor(m): 6:41am On Aug 21, 2019
U can as well employ the discipline of positive and negative consequences. Whenever he behaves well, give praises and tangible rewards. Whenever he does otherwise, employ the logical consequence like depriving him of something he loves so much.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:41am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

let him skip school for 1year send him to learn a trade, he will become wise and appreciate normal life after that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by boogie2910: 6:41am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

pls let your son be, he is perfectly okay and I can tell he is very smart. I remember I once did all those things though it never went down well between me and my mum. you have to keep on correcting him, with time he will grab everything even beyond your expectations.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Abolore25(m): 6:42am On Aug 21, 2019
Hello, ma. Have you taken the time to study your boy well. Have you taken time to highlights his strength and weakness?

Have you reached out to the young man and ask him questions?

I think you should consider those and do a heart-to-heart and open conversation with a brilliant young man.

Trust me, you will get meaningful things from such move and that will guide you on to how you handle him.

He will be great.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by mrde(m): 6:43am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Ma your son knows exactly what he's doing. He is super smart and is just trying to pass a message. My genius cousin during our primary school days was taken to a particular school he didn't want so he deliberately failed all the questions for the entrance test. But on closer observation, he failed intelligently. If the say 75 x 2, he'll answer 300 or 60 + 40 he'll say 200. He definitely doesn't want something and no one is being attentive so he pretends to be dumb. But that kid is the exact opposite of what he displays. Find the button and you will be amazed. I suggest you try asking what he feels about changing his current school or environment and see. Best of luck ma
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by boom99(m): 6:45am On Aug 21, 2019
madam .. with those traits u mentioned I dont think ur son is doing well academically. No doubt those trait will have a negative impact in his school work. The only advice I will give u is to bring him to nija.. send him to a good missionary school. since he is 9years, he should be in pry5....hmmmmm.... Frankly from experience as a teacher, it may be difficult to handle him now.. U really need to double ur effort. Ur best bet is to bring him to nija... One of the pupils i taught had thesame issue.. her mum brought her to nija when she discovered she was tending to 'hell'. The girl is very fine now. surprisingly she is doing well.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Tellemall: 6:47am On Aug 21, 2019
AntiWailer:
Leave him alone.

Some crazy stuffs comes with being brilliant and smart.

He will out grow them with time.

You have to keep correcting him in a balanced approach so he will not grow resistance against you.

Beating does not really help in some instances. At times when he is so sure you were going to flog him, call him and explain why he should do the right thing.

Most improtantly, please pray for him.

Popular misconception in a country where mental illness is so little understood.

Probably has some disorder, ADHD etc
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Tellemall: 6:51am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Although it's not allowed here but I've moved from smacking to beating now but no change in his behaviour. I fear this boy will put me into trouble one day or grow up to hate me. I'm thinking of sending him to naija for one school semester but hubby refused.

Intelligence doesn't mean disorder, for those telling you that he's intelligent.

It may sound upsetting, but take him to see a psychiatrist.

It doesn't mean there's something wrong with him, but for evaluation so that you know what you're dealing with.

This is how a woman with a badly behaved son was told that he's "brilliant" that's why. In the end he had to see a doctor and his case was not brilliance. He's now on medication and able to control some of his "stubbornness", "forgetfulness" etc.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by showafrica(m): 6:53am On Aug 21, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Put him in a Nigerian boarding house, preferably missionary school, you won't regret it. I understand your concern for him please ignore the people who say you should ignore him they are the ones who raise nuisance here

Missionary boarding house, no be this one wey I go? He will end up as the most dangerous cultists and even a gay patient. No try am. The boy is just an ITI, but he will be very smart on one or thing or even a genius.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by cbrass(m): 6:53am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

What of his dad, that's his Job. Let is father handle things
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by apexmall(m): 6:53am On Aug 21, 2019
Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Notice that the Lord doesn't tell us to teach a child, but instead, we are to train a child. That means we are to mold into shape by discipline and practice. How do we do that? You have to train them from the womb not even at age 9.
The Lord is your help.
Final advice: Prayer is the key. How many hours do you spend on your kneel to pray for him?
Always be positive about them and never be negative.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 21, 2019
Your kid sounds like a typical mad scientist. You need to enrol him in an after school program for gifted kids, that should help him burn off some of his restless energy.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by felix000000(m): 6:56am On Aug 21, 2019
Research shows that, whatever you want a child to become is within the age of zero to 7years, anything above this year if care is not taking parent might loose control over a child, I think I support Opinions of the commenter whose says you should send him to Naija so that you won't regret in future. Shalom.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by owowa145(m): 6:56am On Aug 21, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Put him in a Nigerian boarding house, preferably missionary school, you won't regret it. I understand your concern for him please ignore the people who say you should ignore him they are the ones who raise nuisance here
Or a military boarding house like Airforce Ibadan where provisions are considered a contraband. I as well grew up with weird behaviors, but when i passed thru military school during my high school days, maturity sets in. One love.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Onlinefarmstore: 6:56am On Aug 21, 2019
Ma your son is okay, I did worse when I was younger and I still do it now, like claiming the roof, and playing with the food, just be careful with the aspect of him taking things from shops.

Anyways contact us for your food stuffs we deliver nationwide + Benue yams etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Online Users Criticise Couple's Maternity Shoot (photos) / 'my Husband Rented A Flat For Our Maid' - Wife / How Would You Solve This Kind Of Issue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.