Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,240 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce (17314 Views)

I Need A Hectare Or Two Acres Of Farmland To Rent. / Maize Cultivation: Cost To Farm A Hectare? / Lagos To Acquire 32,000-hectare Farmland For Rice Cultivation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by andrecamcam(f): 12:58am On Aug 20, 2019
hello everyone, I would like to know how many bags of rice a hectare can produce (the size of the bag of rice is 50kg) and also how big is 20000 hectares.
thank you
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Nobody: 3:29am On Aug 20, 2019
Good morning,

After processing, you should get about 35-55bags of refined rice or 60-110bags before milling commences, depending on what management practices were adopted during cultivation. Pre-milling bags weigh about >80kg, while post milling bags weigh 50kg on the average.

Talking about the size you are talking about, 20000 is basically a land area big enough for an Integrated Rice Project. Heavy duty tractors, combine harvesters, boom sprayers etc, farm cabin/residence, offices etc. In the country right now, we don't even have a project on rice this big. I hope this helps.

I am a commercial Rice farmer with about 5years of experience under my belt, currently in North-Eastern NIgeria.

Cheers!!!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Jaylord12(m): 4:22am On Sep 04, 2019
Pls can anyone help me with the location of SILVER CHARIOT RICE office
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 5:21am On Sep 04, 2019
BMusdapha:
Good morning,

After processing, you should get about 35-55bags of refined rice or 60-110bags before milling commences, depending on what management practices were adopted during cultivation. Pre-milling bags weigh about >80kg, while post milling bags weigh 50kg on the average.

Talking about the size you are talking about, 20000 is basically a land area big enough for an Integrated Rice Project. Heavy duty tractors, combine harvesters, boom sprayers etc, farm cabin/residence, offices etc. In the country right now, we don't even have a project on rice this big. I hope this helps.

I am a commercial Rice farmer with about 5years of experience under my belt, currently in North-Eastern NIgeria.

Cheers!!!!
this is quite interesting,if one hectare of land (15 plots)will produce 50 bags of refined rice then definitely rice farmers are really trying,if you factor in the financial cost to prepare such big land, work and stress to produce rice , harvest and refine rice on one hectare it's better imagined,the last time I checked one 50kg bag is #11-12,000k local rice,so we have #600,000 from rice on one swampy hectare in 90-100 days,not too encouraging if you look at production figures of veggies you will agree with me that a rice farmer suppose to have a veggie patch around because that is were the money is, personally I have seen #2,000,000 million+ realized from 1 acre(6 plots)of cucumbers in 70+ days,f it's hot peppers that is planted on that 1 hectare just 2 harvests will give you same money like rice,and you will harvest every 4-5 days for at least 5 months.when we are young and growing up we are meant to believe that money don't grow on trees but veggies are definitely proving that statement wrong.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by andrecamcam(f): 9:41am On Sep 09, 2019
okoroemeka:
this is quite interesting,if one hectare of land (15 plots)will produce 50 bags of refined rice then definitely rice farmers are really trying,if you factor in the financial cost to prepare such big land, work and stress to produce rice , harvest and refine rice on one hectare it's better imagined,the last time I checked one 50kg bag is #11-12,000k local rice,so we have #600,000 from rice on one swampy hectare in 90-100 days,not too encouraging if you look at production figures of veggies you will agree with me that a rice farmer suppose to have a veggie patch around because that is were the money is, personally I have seen #2,000,000 million+ realized from 1 acre(6 plots)of cucumbers in 70+ days,f it's hot peppers that is planted on that 1 hectare just 2 harvests will give you same money like rice,and you will harvest every 4-5 days for at least 5 months.when we are young and growing up we are meant to believe that money don't grow on trees but veggies are definitely proving that statement wrong.

hmm vegetable farming seems to be very lucrative but my problem is how do you manage to keep it before it starts getting spoilt?
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by potosky: 11:23am On Sep 09, 2019
Rice farming is not easy o. Before you can harvest those numbers of bags you will need to protect your farm birds,rats and human.
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 1:36pm On Sep 09, 2019
potosky:
Rice farming is not easy o. Before you can harvest those numbers of bags you will need to protect your farm birds,rats and human.
you forgot about all types of poisonus snakes that will come to eat the bird and rats,rice farmers are really trying,I remove my hat to them.
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 1:40pm On Sep 09, 2019
andrecamcam:

hmm vegetable farming seems to be very lucrative but my problem is how do you manage to keep it before it starts getting spoilt?
keep what? with the type of demand of such produce,my son's harvested 8 bags of cucumbers yesterday and a marketer came,paid and took all away,by 8am today morning she called and needed another 5 bags,the problems in our area is production,the demand cannot be met.
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Amanyanabo(m): 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2019
okoroemeka:
keep what? with the type of demand of such produce,my son's harvested 8 bags of cucumbers yesterday and a marketer came,paid and took all away,by 8am today morning she called and needed another 5 bags,the problems in our area is production,the demand cannot be met.
What is your location?
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by potosky: 3:51pm On Sep 09, 2019
okoroemeka:
you forgot about all types of poisonus snakes that will come to eat the bird and rats,rice farmers are really trying,I remove my hat to them.
no be small thing grin
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 4:07pm On Sep 09, 2019
Amanyanabo:

What is your location?
we have access to markets in okigwe,orlu,umunze,ekwulobia,oko, akokwa,etc.

1 Like

Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by andrecamcam(f): 8:56am On Sep 10, 2019
okoroemeka:

which area are you based in and do you think they can be exported outside Nigeria
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 4:58pm On Sep 10, 2019
andrecamcam:

which area are you based in and do you think they can be exported outside Nigeria
export !!!,I am telling you that it's not even enough for our customers talkless of export.
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by andrecamcam(f): 7:47am On Sep 11, 2019
okoroemeka:
export !!!,I am telling you that it's not even enough for our customers talkless of export.

how much is a bag sold for?

sorry for the many questions I'm just really curious about it
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 8:11am On Sep 11, 2019
andrecamcam:

how much is a bag sold for?

sorry for the many questions I'm just really curious about it
cucumbers is #4000k a bag, pepper is #6-7000k vital feed bag,#12-14,000k flour bag.if you have 100 bags of any of the above I know 1 customer that will buy it.
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2019
okoroemeka:
cucumbers is #4000k a bag, pepper is #6-7000k vital feed bag,#12-14,000k flour bag.if you have 100 bags of any of the above I know 1 customer that will buy it.
when is the best time to nurse pepper for dry season
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 3:18pm On Sep 11, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
when is the best time to nurse pepper for dry season
if u want to make money with pepper and less stress of irrigation this is what you will do,do nursery by December 15-25, transplant it into nylon grow bags or used pure water satchet by 10-15 January,then field transplant ending of February, harvest will start from 2nd week of April and continue till the rain stops,this strategy will serve two purpose,you will have pepper when the price is costilest april-september,and you will do minimal irrigation,the only setback will be the management ,that rainy season is when disease is much,but with good spacing and Good agricultural practice it will work.

1 Like

Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 3:53pm On Sep 11, 2019
okoroemeka:
if u want to make money with pepper and less stress of irrigation this is what you will do,do nursery by December 15-25, transplant it into nylon grow bags or used pure water satchet by 10-15 January,then field transplant ending of February, harvest will start from 2nd week of April and continue till the rain stops,this strategy will serve two purpose,you will have pepper when the price is costilest april-september,and you will do minimal irrigation,the only setback will be the management ,that rainy season is when disease is much,but with good spacing and Good agricultural practice it will work.
I know you won't disappoint with your response...apt. may God continue to bless u
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 4:51pm On Sep 11, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
I know you won't disappoint with your response...apt. may God continue to bless u
remain blessed too, bro

1 Like

Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 3:47pm On Sep 25, 2019
okoroemeka:
can this method also be used for tomato in order to Target the peak period
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 7:25pm On Sep 25, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
can this method also be used for tomato in order to Target the peak period
I think pepper and tomatoes are the same family,it will work but you have to be on your toes on management, tomatoes are a little bit tricky to manage but if you know the rules it must work,just get original knapsack for spraying,if your land is big get motorised sprayer or convert car wash engine for spraying .
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 7:36pm On Sep 25, 2019
okoroemeka:
I think pepper and tomatoes are the same family,it will work but you have to be on your toes on management, tomatoes are a little bit tricky to manage but if you know the rules it must work,just get original knapsack for spraying,if your land is big get motorised sprayer or convert car wash engine for spraying .
again, won't the pepper root outgrows the grow bag or pure water nylon during this period
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by MDDarah84(m): 8:07pm On Sep 25, 2019
okoroemeka:

Bros,what species of pepper do you plant in February and harvest 2nd week of April?

If you plant in February,the earliest you can start harvesting is late May.

I have a pepper farm and I have been doing these for 4 years.

Also,the profit estimate you gave for pepper might not be all time correct.

Pepper is one crop that is very unreliable.This year,for instance,here in Ibadan,the results has been bad.

Just passing by with no hard feelings
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 8:23pm On Sep 25, 2019
MDDarah84:

Bros,what species of pepper do you plant in February and harvest 2nd week of April?

If you plant in February,the earliest you can start harvesting is late May.

I have a pepper farm and I have been doing these for 4 years.

Also,the profit estimate you gave for pepper might not be all time correct.

Pepper is one crop that is very unreliable.This year,for instance,here in Ibadan,the results has been bad.

Just passing by with no hard feelings
you didn't read the post carefully,we do nursery by 15-20 December,then first transplant will be into single grow bag,by February it is taken for field transplant,if the crop is not harvested by 15 April which is 120 days,then something is wrong with your management, during that dry and hot period peppers are usually harvested in 90-100 days,if you plant avenir f1 ,top it in nursery and manage it properly and don't get at the highest peak production of 7(25kg) bags every 4-5 days and normal production of 5 same bags from 1000 crops,then also something is wrong with your crops, because we have done it and kept records of the production.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 11:39am On Nov 02, 2019
okoroemeka:
for someone who is staying in North Central Kwara precisely can this also work if the pepper is to be rain fed after been transplanted. The problem is the pepper staying too long in the nursery bag before rain become stable here
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by payne4real(m): 5:35pm On Nov 02, 2019
Patronize us if you need rice sack packaging

Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 02, 2019
okoroemeka:
This process is not necessary, if drip irrigation is available right? That is, during dry season
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by okoroemeka(m): 11:47pm On Nov 02, 2019
Psalm4kute:

This process is not necessary, if drip irrigation is available right? That is, during dry season
putting pepper in single grow bags serve several purpose,ok,iet us imagine this scenario,you have drip irrigation,so you transplant 25-30 day old pepper of roughly 4-6 inches out on a blazing hot open3-4 plots field in February,all necessary good agricultural practice must be going on whether u like or not,ok,let's imagine another scenario you transplant into single grow bags and have the whole pepper that will fit in 4 plots in an area that will accommodate 2-3 cars,it will make irrigation easy, spraying of materials easy, management easy, protection from harsh weather easy,you can pick the best to plant eventually,using drip irrigation is not everything, nothing beats first hand experience.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by stagger: 12:24am On Nov 04, 2019
Nice thread.
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Miraflores(f): 4:50pm On Jan 21, 2021
okoroemeka:
we have access to markets in okigwe,orlu,umunze,ekwulobia,oko, akokwa,etc.
please sir, i really want to talk to you.
Re: How Much Rice Can A Hectare Produce by Mgbadike80: 7:38am On Jan 23, 2021
okoroemeka:
Guy, you're too much. i have two plots of land near Onitsha, it's close to people's houses and therefore susceptible to theft of farm products. What do you suggest that i should plant there. NB: i have zero farming experience and doesn't live in the community but can go there to work at least on Saturdays.

(1) (Reply)

7 Ways To Keep Monkey Away From Your Farm / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ? / Agro Seeds Classifications: The Best Class To Plant

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.