Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,825 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Coldest States In Nigeria - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Coldest States In Nigeria (70966 Views)

See The Two States In Nigeria You Hardly Hear Of / UK Warns Its Citizens To Avoid 22 States In Nigeria Over Insecurity Issues / Coldest Place On Earth Where You Breath In And Die - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by czarina(f): 12:18am On Aug 23, 2019
Chenzee:

We there (in Jos) use electric blankets (its normally plugged in the wall) to warm ourselves cos a normal blanket one feel like he's sleeping outside...
Room heaters are everywhere. ACs don't sell there...Though there are other LGs that are damn hot e.g Wase, Langtang, Shendam etc. But taking the overall average temperature of a whole state, then Plateau is by far the coldest..
NB: We are talking about temperature as a state not selected locations.
I've never been able to bring myself to buy an electric blanket, I dey fear that thing no be small . grin

3 Likes

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Franking: 12:20am On Aug 23, 2019
I served in Ekiti state and noted the very cold whether during Harmattan. Saki in Oyo state has the best weather in the country. Visit and see.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 12:21am On Aug 23, 2019
sassysure:
If jos or taraba is this cold, why do they not produce Apple there?

https://www.nairaland.com/1892052/why-cant-apples-grow-nigeria

Apples are produced in Nigeria. Yes, the green species.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 12:23am On Aug 23, 2019
chibnnodi:
When I was serving and visited Jos, I felt dirty and went to bath. I swear, I ran out of the bathroom screaming, because of the chilled water. Those folks there strong o.

grin grin

Interesting thread. I would visit Taraba and Plateau some day. I need to experience this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by czarina(f): 12:28am On Aug 23, 2019
Gerrard59:

grin grin

Interesting thread. I would visit Taraba and Plateau some day. I need to experience what this thread.
No kidding, you won't like it.

It's not as fun as it sounds.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by GarbaAudu: 12:50am On Aug 23, 2019
I think there are only two real cold regions in Nigeria (all year round).
1. Mambilla Plateau, Total area= 9,400 km2, average elevation = 1,600 meters
2. Jos Plateau, Total area= 8,600 km2, average elevation = 1,300 meters
Sankwala Plateau would have made the list (elevation is also 1,600 meters) but the large chunk of the area is in Cameroon, only small part in Nigeria (little above 100 km2). It covers Obudu ranch (Cross River State) and Kwande Highland (Benue State)
All other regions of Nigeria have only seasonal cold, during rainfall period and harmattan. For example, the axis between Zaria (Kaduna State) and Funtua (Katsina State) can have a drop in temperature to as low as 10 Celsius in January, but the same axis will have a temperature of 35 Celsius around April-May.
For the record, the coldest town in Nigeria is Nguroje, Mambilla Plateau (Taraba State). It has an elevation of over 1,800 meters!

3 Likes

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by babaowambe: 2:08am On Aug 23, 2019
In Ireland its 20 degrees Celsius maximum in Summer and -5 degrees in winter, when the temp hits 15 degrees people begin to strip in order to soak up the warmth of the sun.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by africanusvu(m): 3:41am On Aug 23, 2019
bizzibodi:

Are u serious 8 deg in nigeria?
.i am too sure.there is a particular vilage there called Ngoroje and Messenmari that goes below that from august to september.it is ontop of mambilar plateaux,look for mambilar in google.i was there
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by goat22: 4:08am On Aug 23, 2019
Xavi2019:

cry cry cry
Sorry, I don't get the joke here.

Ah ah abaribe the 3rd! Mo shelelei o ah! babagba! one touch wonder! ahh mofi she la lei o! you don show! den no fit!!
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by iPopAlomo(m): 4:23am On Aug 23, 2019
Kalixx:

Twats like you litter NL always thinking ure too intelligent. One thing you and your ilk should always know is that, not everyone is in your class and some people are privileged to have better opportunities than you, the same way it applies to mostly everyone.

And if you want proof, you can send a dm, give me your whatsapp no if u have any. I will reply you with proof you need immediately, today, and we part, so you learn to become a better person and learn to respect people's opinions and input.

I dont wanna appear like Im bragging but bro, believe me, you need to calm down. Dont hastily jump to conclusions. Have a good day.

Lmao... Clown...

Chatting shit from your father's two bedroom flat...

I reteirate... You've not stepped out of Nigerian border.

1 Like

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 4:57am On Aug 23, 2019
bizzibodi:

Are u serious 8 deg in nigeria?

Yes Plateau state gets single digit temperature every harmattan.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Eaglefine(f): 4:58am On Aug 23, 2019
Very interesting smiley

I do really wish to visit all these places. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 5:03am On Aug 23, 2019
bizzibodi:

Are u serious?a plateau resident shld confirm.

I am a Plateau indigene. Raw meat is kept outside for days and it doesn't spoil. The last time I went to Jos in January, I bought quality chicken pie at Lokoja. I forgot it inside my bag and the bag was in the house for days, after almost a week, I brought it out and it was still very fresh and good.
Most houses in Jos are without fan.

2 Likes

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by sharone21(f): 5:42am On Aug 23, 2019
Don't forget Ogun State, particularly Abeokuta that rains daily no matter how small besides, it is surrounded by hills, hills even at one's backyard.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by heskeyw(m): 6:05am On Aug 23, 2019
choblak:

Which district u served in bassa? Cos am dats my local government
I served in chinye village in miango town. The town is occupied by Irigwe people.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Ladiesdoctor(m): 6:27am On Aug 23, 2019
murphybo:

Have you witnessed kano harmattan before

Have you witnessed kano hot weather before
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by taiwiki(m): 6:32am On Aug 23, 2019
keryj:

Yea it's been all rainy these days but not exactly that kind of cold
OK.. It seems u've been in KB for many years now ai
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Ladiesdoctor(m): 6:33am On Aug 23, 2019
olayinkajnr:

Out of the 8 states listed above, I've spent my entire life in 6 of them (Jos, Kano, Kaduna, Sokoto, Abuja, Katsina) and I can confirm that the OP is right. You've probably never being to any of those states that's why you called it a lie.

Only place I don't agree with the OP is where he placed Kano before Kaduna. Kaduna is colder than Kano.

Kindly visit kano or sokoto from February to July, you will understand my grammar vividly.
Wanne kano da sokoto? Zafin da ke a kano da Sokoto ya fi zafin gyaran garma!
The only period that the weather gets normal in those areas is in August and September, and in October you experience heat before the harmattan period of November, December, January. These are the months that the cold is severe which is harmattan and could be dangerous to health. (November, December, January)
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by olayinkajnr(m): 6:43am On Aug 23, 2019
Ladiesdoctor:

Kindly visit kano or sokoto from February to July, you will understand my grammar vividly.
Wanne kano da sokoto? Zafin da ke a kano da Sokoto ya fi zafin gyaran garma!

Lol. You want to speak Hausa to me?

I lived in Sokoto for over 8 years and I can attest to what the OP posted.

I recently left Kano about 3 weeks ago. I lived and worked in Kano for 2 years since 2017 so I can also attest to what the OP is saying.

When it comes to Harmattan, those states are among the coldest state in Nigeria.

You said February and July. Is February and July Harmattan period?

The OP was specific in his post. In July, we are in the heat period, coincidentally, that's when the rain period sets in. In February, the Harmattan period is over or almost over. Either ways, it's not too cold in February. But from November to January (Harmattan period), those states that the OP listed are the coldest in Nigeria, Kano and Sokoto inclusive.

Also, when it comes to heat period, Kano, Sokoto and Maiduguri are the hottest. In this order Sokoto, Maiduguri and Kano.

When it comes to Harmattan, it is always extreme in those states, when it comes to heat, it is always extreme.

Modified: I can see that you went back to modify your post?

You just made sense now. Why argue when you know the OP was saying the fact?

You just attest that the weather or harmattan gets harsh between November and January, which makes the OP right and my assertion right too.

Always speak within the context please. Now, is the OP lying like you first asserted?
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by bizzibodi(m): 6:46am On Aug 23, 2019
Nowenuse:

I am a Plateau indigene. Raw meat is kept outside for days and it doesn't spoil. The last time I went to Jos in January, I bought quality chicken pie at Lokoja. I forgot it inside my bag and the bag was in the house for days, after almost a week, I brought it out and it was still very fresh and good.
Most houses in Jos are without fan.
Jezzuz!Am wondering how yur ancestors lives their without cloths 400yrs ago.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by iPopAlomo(m): 6:49am On Aug 23, 2019
Kalixx:

Obviously, you're an empty vessel.

Why didnt you do what I asked? And you swallow your shame?

Pass your whatsapp no. It should not be that difficult. You will feel sorry for yourself and double your hustle.

F00lish commenter.

Clown fc.. local champion... Send your account number... Lemme give you something for breakfast...

So you'll bow to me your God..
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Henri8: 7:16am On Aug 23, 2019
christejames:
And you didn't add Adamawa and Taraba states where the highest peak is located, also include Nsukka cause it's special place in Enugu state when it comes to temperature
Yeah bro. Nsụka weather is something else.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by heskeyw(m): 7:41am On Aug 23, 2019
Rasbel:
That phankshu or what's it called now tops the list of my TO-VISIT places.
Pankshin lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by heskeyw(m): 7:41am On Aug 23, 2019
sassysure:
If jos or taraba is this cold, why do they not produce Apple there?
The grow apple in mangu and in Pankshin
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Mazigabriel(m): 7:45am On Aug 23, 2019
[quote author=olayinkajnr post=81518963]

Lol. You want to speak Hausa to me?

I lived in Sokoto for over 8 years and I can attest to what the OP posted.

I recently left Kano about 3 weeks ago. I lived and worked in Kano for 2 years since 2017 so I can also attest to what the OP is saying.

When it comes to Harmattan, those states are among the coldest state in Nigeria.

You said February and July. Is February and July Harmattan period?

The OP was specific in his post. In July, we are in the heat period, coincidentally, that's when the rain period sets in. In February, the Harmattan period is over or almost over. Either ways, it's not too cold in February. But from November to January (Harmattan period), those states that the OP listed are the coldest in Nigeria, Kano and Sokoto inclusive.

Also, when it comes to heat period, Kano, Sokoto and Maiduguri are the hottest. In this order Sokoto, Maiduguri and Kano.

When it comes to Harmattan, it is always extreme in those places. thanks
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Splendblex(f): 8:25am On Aug 23, 2019
heskeyw:

When I was in bassa, we use to cook egwusi soup and keep for 1week without it getting sour. Egwusi soup is known for getting easily soured but in plateau, na different story. During January, we don't fetch water and keep it overnight. The water go turn to ice.

Lol, I'm not surprised grin
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by justifyme(m): 8:26am On Aug 23, 2019
heskeyw:

They told us that wase is very very hot. If u commit for camp, NYSC officials will threaten you with Wase lga.
exactly i served in Kanke!! They share a common boundary with pankshin,once u get to the boundary,u will immediately notice a difference in temp!! If u re coming from kanke,u will start feeling cold,i like their weather condition
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by Cybertext(m): 8:46am On Aug 23, 2019
bizzibodi:

Are u serious?a plateau resident shld confirm.

He's kinda right, maybe a little bit exaggerated but food don't get really sour or spoilt in Jos compared to other states. Most houses in Jos don't have fan talk more of AC. Other states experience their cold weather for only 2-3months tops, Jos and enviro experiences cold weather for more than 9months.

When you are travelling and entering Jos you'll know, nobody needs to tell you...na you go find jacket wear.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by uchwar1: 9:34am On Aug 23, 2019
heskeyw:
If Taraba is not on the list, then the list is fake. Mambila plateau in Taraba and pankshin in plateau are the coldest places in Nigeria.
Gembu Taraba state's cold na die. OP, make more researches.
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by uchwar1: 9:43am On Aug 23, 2019
GarbaAudu:
I think there are only two real cold regions in Nigeria (all year round).
1. Mambilla Plateau, Total area= 9,400 km2, average elevation = 1,600 meters
2. Jos Plateau, Total area= 8,600 km2, average elevation = 1,300 meters
Sankwala Plateau would have made the list (elevation is also 1,600 meters) but the large chunk of the area is in Cameroon, only small part in Nigeria (little above 100 km2). It covers Obudu ranch (Cross River State) and Kwande Highland (Benue State)
All other regions of Nigeria have only seasonal cold, during rainfall period and harmattan. For example, the axis between Zaria (Kaduna State) and Funtua (Katsina State) can have a drop in temperature to as low as 10 Celsius in January, but the same axis will have a temperature of 35 Celsius around April-May.
For the record, the coldest town in Nigeria is Nguroje, Mambilla Plateau (Taraba State). It has an elevation of over 1,800 meters!
so correct
Re: Coldest States In Nigeria by ikennamadu1(m): 9:53am On Aug 23, 2019
abdulskulboy:
But the coldest place in nigeria is funtuwa, area in katsina state.
Taaaa which funtua... U no even call Dan Musa or batsari....

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

South African Woman Celebrates Her Nigerian Visa, Dances To Davido's "IF" / Woman Climbs On Roof Of Car To Prevent LASTMA Officials From Driving It Off / Police Detain Accident Victim For Being ‘Too Young To Own A Car’ In Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.