Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture (40601 Views)

Abdulrahim Dangana Gay Predator Arrested For $8,420USD Scam In Kaduna (Photo) / Nwanta Anayoeze Arrested By EFCC For $8.5 Million Scam / American Arrested For $8.5m Illegal Arms Deal With Nigerian Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Luvlyna(f): 10:06pm On Aug 23, 2019
wink
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by ednut1(m): 10:08pm On Aug 23, 2019
Eleribu
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Kenturkey048(m): 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2019
You nor go see those bereaved low thinkers that's always coming here to tribalize evrything...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by canalily(m): 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2019
First image is before stealing, second image is after stealing tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by kerry57: 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2019
Season of fraudsters is what we are in now. Every news is all about fraudsters.
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by LewinskyMon: 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2019
shocked
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Kubiatrealer(m): 10:11pm On Aug 23, 2019
Hey include the other guys face no be only NIGERIAN NAME i see there...they are covering theirs and we want too show the world ours...yeye Nigerian bloggers���
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Minjim: 10:11pm On Aug 23, 2019
Wow!

You guys really worked very hard to dig this up.

Well guess it's 1/ 80 now

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by chelsea1116(m): 10:12pm On Aug 23, 2019
Some igbo are good while some are bad..
Some yoruba are good while some are bad..
Some hausa are good while some are bad..
I am igbo and i love my country..even though so much is wrong with our country and i hope that one day we will have a beautiful country.
SAY NO TO TRIBALISM..whites against blacks slavery is enough..lets stop dis bullshit and love each other.
May God bless us all.
Happy weekends umu oma Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by sparog(m): 10:12pm On Aug 23, 2019
Mightyhaiz:
you daft aswear

At least I no daft reach you grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by donprinyo(m): 10:12pm On Aug 23, 2019
Just de spoil opportunities for beta nigerians
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Gboliwe: 10:14pm On Aug 23, 2019
knightsTempler:
Nigerian Man Sentenced to Prison for Role in $8.3 Million Medicare Fraud Scheme and Related Money Laundering

A Nigerian man was sentenced to 46 months in prison today for his role in a durable medical equipment (DME) scheme in which more than $8 million was fraudulently billed to Medicare for DME that was not medically necessary.

Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney Nicola T. Hanna of the Central District of California, Special Agent in Charge Timothy B. DeFrancesca of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General’s (HHS-OIG) Los Angeles Regional Office, Assistant Director in Charge Paul D. Delacourt of the FBI’s Los Angeles Division and Special Agent in Charge Ryan L. Korner of IRS Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI) Los Angeles Field Office made the announcement.

Ayodeji Temitayo Fatunmbi, 47, of Nigeria, was sentenced to 46 months in prison by U.S. District Judge Christina A. Snyder of the Central District of California, who also ordered Fatunmbi to pay $1,076,893.15 in restitution. Fatunmbi pleaded guilty on May 8, 2019 to one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Fatunmbi was charged along with Olufunke Ibiyemi Fadojutimi, 47, of Carson, California, and Maritza Elizabeth Velasquez, 44, of Las Vegas, Nevada.

As part of his guilty plea, Fatunmbi admitted that he and others paid cash kickbacks to patient recruiters and physicians for fraudulent prescriptions for DME such as power wheelchairs, which the Medicare beneficiaries did not have a legitimate medical need. Fatunmbi and co-conspirators caused Lutemi Medical Supply (Lutemi), a DME supply company that he co-ran, to submit approximately $8.3 million in claims to Medicare, which resulted in the company being paid over $3.5 million. Fatunmbi further admitted that he was responsible for $2,090,434 in false and fraudulent claims for medically unnecessary DME and that as a result of his conduct, Medicare paid Lutemi a total of $1,076,893. In furtherance of this scheme, Fatunmbi and a co-conspirator wrote checks from Lutemi’s bank account to Lutemi employees and others, and Fatunmbi instructed that those monies be returned to him to pay the illegal cash kickbacks to the patient recruiters and doctors, he admitted. Fatummbi admittedly directed others at Lutemi to engage in these tranactions to conceal the nature and source of the proceeds of the health care fraud conspiracy.

Velasquez pleaded guilty on July 24, 2013, to one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud, and was sentenced to 15 months in prison and restitution in the amount of $3,411,428. Fadojutimi was found guilty after a jury trial on July 31, 2014, of one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud, seven counts of health care fraud and one count of money laundering, and was sentenced to four years in prison and restitution in the amount of $4,372,466.

This case was investigated by the HHS-OIG, the FBI and IRS-CI. Trial Attorneys Claire Yan, Emily Z. Culbertson and Justin P. Givens of the Criminal Division’s Fraud Section are prosecuting the case. The Asset Forfeiture Section of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California is handling the asset forfeiture aspects of the case.

The Fraud Section leads the Medicare Strike Force, which is part of a joint initiative between the Department of Justice and HHS to focus their efforts to prevent and deter fraud and enforce current anti-fraud laws around the country. Since its inception in March 2007, the Medicare Fraud Strike Force, which maintains 14 strike forces operating in 23 districts, has charged nearly 4,000 defendants who have collectively billed the Medicare program for more than $14 billion. In addition, the HHS Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, working in conjunction with HHS-OIG, are taking steps to increase accountability and decrease the presence of fraudulent providers.

To learn more about the Health Care Fraud Prevention and Enforcement Action Team (HEAT), go to: www.stopmedicarefraud.gov.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nigerian-man-sentenced-prison-role-83-million-medicare-fraud-scheme-and-related-money

Is there a competition? Why all these jigbiti stories today?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by airsaylongcon: 10:14pm On Aug 23, 2019
soberdrunk:
People get mind sha!!! Ordinary 3 hotel towels I "borrow" I nearly get heart attack, how do you even scam $8.3 million dollars and sleep at night! angry

And those hotel towels dey soft die... I "borrow" a few from 4 Points for VI... I Know as I dey breathe like who dey oxygen tank
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by YorubaKing: 10:16pm On Aug 23, 2019
sparog:
So because people have been stating the fact that most of the folks FBI arrested are Igbos, someone has gone ahead to unearth cases about Yorubas. One of the cases even happened as far back as 2014.

grin grin grin grin grin

I love dis nairaland aswear

Very true... na dem dem as usual

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by soberdrunk(m): 10:16pm On Aug 23, 2019
airsaylongcon:

And those hotel towels dey soft die... I "borrow" a few from 4 Points for VI... I Know as I dey breathe like who dey oxygen tank

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy MA MAN!!! You know the thing cool
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by salford: 10:16pm On Aug 23, 2019
This guy na One man army.
one yoruba yahoo boy equals 80 ibo yahoo boys. grin

These guys make the electronic money of 5star and Gucci master in dubai look like paupers grin

But this is 2013 news sha. stale.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Yankee101: 10:17pm On Aug 23, 2019
This is a 2014 case.

Why bring it up now?

Is someone trying to say it's yorubas too?

Moderators should be careful what they allow to front page

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 23, 2019
Fraud from the left and the right
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 23, 2019
77 - 3 cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by APOSTLECHUMA: 10:19pm On Aug 23, 2019
soberdrunk:
People get mind sha!!! Ordinary 3 hotel towels I "borrow" I nearly get heart attack, how do you even scam $8.3 million dollars and sleep at night! angry
YOU HAVE NOT KILLED YOUR CONSCIENCE MY BRO AND GOD HAS ALL IT TAKES TO BLESS YOU AND WILL NOT FAIL U.
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by kayo80(m): 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2019
sparog:
So because people have been stating the fact that most of the folks FBI arrested are Igbos, someone has gone ahead to unearth cases about Yorubas. One of the cases even happened as far back as 2014.

grin grin grin grin grin

lol! I laughed as soon as I saw the post on front page because I was expecting it already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by Freshbaba95(m): 10:25pm On Aug 23, 2019
dangermouse:
Crime knows no tribe and race.

Say no to tribalism

Hope you will bold enough to say this, if he was an Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by sparog(m): 10:28pm On Aug 23, 2019
kayo80:

lol! I laughed as soon as I saw the post on front page because I was expecting it already.

Lol grin

I believe we will still see more stories like this before the end of tomorrow grin

Each tribe wants to paint the other tribe as the problem of the country but las las we're one Nigeria so we're all responsible for the mess we find ourselves in.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by dangermouse(m): 10:30pm On Aug 23, 2019
Freshbaba95:

Hope you will bold enough to say this, if he was an Igbo?

That is why i said it in the first place...
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by backnbeta(f): 10:35pm On Aug 23, 2019
sparog:

grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by 2sexycom(m): 10:36pm On Aug 23, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

i dont know about you but i see a chubby healthy person on the left, and a thin hungry stressed out one on the right
he has bipolar grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Man Sentenced To Prison For $8.3M Medicare Fraud. Picture by FulaniTerrorix: 10:39pm On Aug 23, 2019
sparog:

grin grin grin grin grin

Check the date again

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nigerian-man-sentenced-prison-role-83-million-medicare-fraud-scheme-and-related-money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SARS Officials Shoot Armed Robber Dead In Bayelsa, Arrest One (Graphic Photos) / Criminal Arrested While Hiding At Girlfriend's Place After Killing Man. Photos / Car Thief Burnt To Death By Angry Mob In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.