Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record (64222 Views)

Nicolas Pepe Scores 2 Free-Kicks, Stunned Fans React (Photos) / Nicolas Pepe Becomes Africa's Most Expensive Player / NBA Teammates Pranked A Basketballer By Filling His ₦50.6m Audi R8 With Popcorn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 2:52pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:
Modric is the king of the World cup..
World cup golden ball is the reason why Modric was better than Ronaldo in 2018!!! Now tell me how VVD is comparable to Modric!!!

VVD is not that good. He is not as good as peak John Terry, Vidic or Ferdinand was!!!

Wetin you one gain from these , he came and played how many games, and was able to win ucl and was the general at the back for best defense line in epl last season, he was dribbled past few times, was booked few times, bros the guy sabi forget story,
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 2:52pm On Aug 25, 2019
Geo07:

Success automatically attracts enemies.
In this present day football, please name 3 defenders that are better than VVD, that are still playing, not retired, may be in ur team?
Thank you my brother .
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 3:12pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:
VVD is just the best defender now... The best defender in the world..

That does not make him the best player in the world

UCL semi final: Origi brace seal a come back
English Media: VVD for Ballon d'or

UCL final: Origi and Salah win the match for Liverpool

English Media: VVD for Ballon d'or, wow he just won the UCL

UEFA Super cup: Mane score a brace,

English Media: VVD for Ballon d'or!!!, wow he just won a Super cup...

Today's match: Matip and Salah score

English Media : VVD for Ballon d'or!!!

It is an unnecessary hype by the English Media to justify their decision of selecting VVD as a worthy PFA award winner and therefore as a favorite candidate for the Ballon d'or but VVD is not the best player in the world.. He is definitely the best defender in the world for his aerial abilities, his shadow marking and dribbling avoidance is working because he has good defense partners and a great goalkeeper too..
But he will never be the best player in the world!!!
2006 wc how many goals did canavaro scored
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 3:20pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:
VVD is just the best defender now... The best defender in the world..

That does not make him the best player in the world

UCL semi final: Origi brace seal a come back
English Media: VVD for Ballon d'or

UCL final: Origi and Salah win the match for Liverpool

English Media: VVD for Ballon d'or, wow he just won the UCL

UEFA Super cup: Mane score a brace,

English Media: VVD for Ballon d'or!!!, wow he just won a Super cup...

Today's match: Matip and Salah score

English Media : VVD for Ballon d'or!!!

It is an unnecessary hype by the English Media to justify their decision of selecting VVD as a worthy PFA award winner and therefore as a favorite candidate for the Ballon d'or but VVD is not the best player in the world.. He is definitely the best defender in the world for his aerial abilities, his shadow marking and dribbling avoidance is working because he has good defense partners and a great goalkeeper too..
But he will never be the best player in the world!!!
2006 wc how many goals did canavaro scored, if
He is crowned the best , what will you do ?.
Mr the man has done too well at his position, football aint a one man game , strikers do the scoring most times , defenders does defending, his work earned him biggest trophy in Europe last season. He deserved it and stop hating
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2019
PopeFlatino:
grin guy na dat thing dey vex me

VvD is good ,yes but I have seen the more impressive Matip and Allison protecting that backline most of the times more than he does expecially against Barca.

I am sure that they are promoting him to win d ballon d'or ahead of d ever impressive Mane or even Salah because they are Africans..Mane will win Matches for them ,VVD will be hyped.

As a Barca Fan without sentiment,if the Organizers of the award nominates Mane or Salah alongside Leo Messi,I will tip them to win it because of their heritage but if they bring up VVD to contest ,Leo Messi should just claim it ,
Messi along side not VVD, go remove am na, messi was there what did he do ,second leg
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 3:33pm On Aug 25, 2019
stefanbanach:
You're a dummy.
I'd love to educate you on defenders who can mark a full space but I don't think you have the brain capacity to understand I'd say.

Playing a high defensive line is a big gamble. You need a pacy, intelligent defender who can mark not only the players but can mark the passes, intercept and make blocks and interceptions.

There's a reason why when many attackers play against Van dijk, they barely touch the ball. Van dijk will be in the middle of the pitch all through the game because he has recovery speed and interception.

Which defender can play high defensive line and keep up to several clean sheets?

The last defender who did it was vidic.

There's a reason Liverpool hasn't lost forn2 years at anfield.

Look beyond dribbling. There are other defensive attributes and Van possesses all of them.

Van dijk even outpaced pepe in the match.

You'll not see a faster defender than Van dijk.

Yes o, he might not even near you... But he'll always make sure the ball doesn't come to you.

He's the best center back on the planet at the moment.

The closest to me is thiago silva of psg.

Bros no vex , its like you dey play football, that guy sabi defends tactics, he no dey rush mark players, he is always calm and composed with crazy attackers, he knows when to run, slowdown , getting aggressive. That guy complete, he is even still improving
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 25, 2019
m140:

Bros no vex , its like you dey play football, that guy sabi defends tactics, he no dey rush mark players, he is always calm and composed with crazy attackers, he knows when to run, slowdown , getting aggressive. That guy complete, he is even still improving
you get eyes.
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Godmademan(m): 3:53pm On Aug 25, 2019
JimD:

Yes. You're right. He doesn't tackle
He commands his space and force attackers to errors. Reason he rarely get booked. Why lunge into tackles foolishly.
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 3:54pm On Aug 25, 2019
onegig:

Football has evolved in the last decade to the point that all those rugby tackles would give you multiple cards in this day and age. Football isn't about physicallity anymore but much more about skills and IQ.

Yeah there are players that make tackles and whatever but a Defence is not just a single player making stupid tackles and clearing out opponents. It is much more about positioning and weighing the risks. Having to make a tackle only means that you've been caught out of position and should be a last ditch effort.

Looking back on Salah’s second goal, you’d wonder what Luiz was thinking? To lunge for the ball like that on one of the fastest players who thrives on being able to run direct at goal. Why take such risk? Just shepherd him and stay goal side.

His positioning was bad and making useless tackles/shirt holding led to a yellow earlier, he put himself in a situation where he was likely going to need to foul instead of just slowing Salah down and hoping his teammates got back to cover.

Late in the game there was a near identical scenario with VVD and pepe—last man back against a pacy skillful attacker. VVD backed off, slowed him down, and Robertson tracked back and took the ball off pepe. You see the fine margins between what makes VVD very good. He rarely needs to make a tackle because tackling is just a last ditch effort in defending and he does make a tackle when it is extremely needed go take a look at his tackles on Son, Sissoko and a host of others last season.

You really understand how VVD plays
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 25, 2019
m140:

2006 wc how many goals did canavaro scored, if
He is crowned the best , what will you do ?.
Mr the man has done too well at his position, football aint a one man game , strikers do the scoring most times , defenders does defending, his work earned him biggest trophy in Europe last season. He deserved it and stop hating
Italy concede just 1 goal in the World cup... That is down to great defence by Italian led by Cannavaro!!! That is the duty of a defender!!! That is the kind of record a defender should have.. . Not fake dribbling avoidance record!!!
Barcelona scored 3 past Liverpool at away, it was almost 4, but Allison made a great save against Dembele... VVD was no where to be found in the instances... That is not the case for Canavaro best season. He was solid all through. ..
What saved Liverpool was Origi+ Gini brace in the second Leg.. They practically won the game... Not VVD
In the final, I can point many saves made by Allison against son, Eriksen and Kane... It was not all boil down to VVD.. But guess who won the MOTM (Hyped VVD again)..
In the UEFA super cup, Liverpool conceded 2 goals, thanks to Mane brace who made them survive to the penalty shoot-out... VVD was keeping dribbling cleansheet when he was supposed to be keeping proper goal cleansheet as a world class defender would do(Allison absence??) ... I am not saying he is not good, he is not just a phenomenon and he will never be the best player in the world. .

As great as Canavaro was, we all know that Zizou headbutt is the reason why he won the Ballon d'or.. Mind you Cannavaro was far better than the present VVD who always call on Matip and other guys while he was busy shadow marking and avoiding dribbling..

Dembele's miss in first leg and Origi brace in the second leg saved VVD... The overhype continues. But he will never be the best player in the world... He is the best defender of 2019 tho!!!

I will take peak Terry, Calvaho, Ferdinand and Vidic ahead of him anytime...

3 Likes

Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 4:04pm On Aug 25, 2019
lilbest4:
Varane is the fastest CB. You're talking about high line? Lol. Arnold and Robertson are insanely fast, young and energetic that's why he's always covered, Alison is also very good. Let VVD play in Real Madrid where all the defenders except Varane are always close to the opposition's 18 yard plus Marcelo who wouldn't track back let us see if children won't use him to rub ground
Those two guys are not really defensive mr man, am a LFC fan ,strong one close to 17yrs now, VVD is a very smart defender he makes you loose the possession of the ball easily to him, he is too pacy with that body frame.
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:
Italy concede just 1 goal in the World cup... That is down to great defence by Italian led by Cannavaro!!! That is the duty of a defender!!! That is the kind of record a defender should have.. . Not fake dribbling avoidance record!!!
Barcelona scored 3 past Liverpool at away, it was almost 4, but Allison made a great save against Dembele... VVD was no where to be found in the instances... That is not the case for Canavaro best season. He was solid all through. ..
What saved Liverpool was Origi+ Gini brace in the second Leg.. They practically won the game... Not VVD
In the final, I can point many saves made by Allison against son, Eriksen and Kane... It was not all boil down to VVD.. But guess who won the MOTM (Hyped VVD again)..
In the UEFA super cup, Liverpool conceded 2 goals, thanks to Mane brace who made them survive to the penalty shoot-out... VVD was keeping dribbling cleansheet when he was supposed to be keeping proper goal cleansheet as a world class defender would do(Allison absence??) ... I am not saying he is not good, he is not just a phenomenon and he will never be the best player in the world. .

As great as Canavaro was, we all know that Zizou headbutt is the reason why he won the Ballon d'or.. Mind you Cannavaro was far better than the present VVD who always call on Matip and other guys while he was busy shadow marking and avoiding dribbling..

Dembele's miss in first leg and Origi brace in the second leg saved VVD... The overhype continues. But he will never be the best player in the world... He is the best defender of 2019 tho!!!

Did you see how messi humiliated canavaro , messi is a baller , very sharp and clean dribbler , he cant humiliate VVD like that, jaap stam, nesta like that .
And for the world cup . Same goes to VVD , liverpool concedes the least goal last season with VVD at the heart of defense . Matip was outstanding last season also, buy since VVD join them at the back goal conceded as been lesser . Right now he is the best at the back , with very sightfull long pass. That guy is just too much .
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:

Avoiding to be dribbled past thats a lie , messi would have done that in second leg now, but he couldn't . He plays defense not striking role, don't forget buffon has been a great keeper right from time, those times italy have been getting the best defense, so ..... again how many goals did canavaro scored in that world cup. See VVD is doing his job and has also been scoring..... i will pick him ahead of thise guys you mentioned earlier
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 4:19pm On Aug 25, 2019
stefanbanach:
you get eyes.

Abi
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 4:19pm On Aug 25, 2019
stefanbanach:
you get eyes.

I get ooo
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 25, 2019
m140:

Did you see how messi humiliated canavaro , messi is a baller , very sharp and clean dribbler , he cant humiliate VVD like that, jaap stam, nesta like that .
And for the world cup . Same goes to VVD , liverpool concedes the least goal last season with VVD at the heart of defense . Matip was outstanding last season also, buy since VVD join them at the back goal conceded as been lesser . Right now he is the best at the back , with very sightfull long pass. That guy is just too much .
Messi can't humiliate VVD?? Nice joke!! Let him come close.. His shadow marking technique really make him look great to you!! Messi destroyed him while he was in Celtic!! He didn't have great partners like the ones he always call upon in Liverpool... VVD that was anonymous in the first leg of the Semi final in all the 3 goals?? He was no where to be found when Allison made that great Dembele save following the chance created by Messi!!!! You guys are high on English Media hype!!!

I keep saying it, Origi+Trent, and Gini saved VVD face in the semi final come back, there is nothing phenomenal about him...
If Liverpool still has Karius as a goalkeeper, I can say, "well, VVD is the one keeping the goal away". Allison was so good that he won the best goalkeeper even in the Copa America!! What did VVD do in the UEFA Nations League Netherlands was carried by Memphis most time in the competition. . I saw VVD destroyed by Gnabry in the penultimate and glided past by Bernaldo Silva in the final... De Ligt was more involved in the game than him in that final...
If he continues to shadow Mark, he may become a few season great.. He need to stop avoiding dribbling... Defence GOATs are not afraid to engage their opponents... He is lucky to have Matip and especially Allison at goal...
Just like I said, VVD will never be the best player in the World!!!

I will take peak John Terry, Vidic or Ferdinand ahead of him anytime!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 25, 2019
m140:

Avoiding to be dribbled past thats a lie , messi would have done that in second leg now, but he couldn't . He plays defense not striking role, don't forget buffon has been a great keeper right from time, those times italy have been getting the best defense, so ..... again how many goals did canavaro scored in that world cup. See VVD is doing his job and has also been scoring..... i will pick him ahead of thise guys you mentioned earlier
You will peak VVD ahead of peak John Terry, Vidic or Ferdinand?? ? You just murder VVD career for that blasphemy!!! grin
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 4:28pm On Aug 25, 2019
zioneel:

Thank u my brother, this is what i've been telling people, Van dijk is a good defender on the air, he's also a solid shield when it comes to defense against set pieces, but Van dijk doesn't intercept players like CBs do, he is just an overhyped piece of shit, even with all the interception and UCL Ramos won, he didn't win the Ballon d'or, Fifa will just confirm itself as a scam if Van dijk wins Ballon d'or.

Ramos is just too rough a defender
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by BenjaminJoe1(m): 4:35pm On Aug 25, 2019
......and it gave arsenal a point abi? story
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 4:41pm On Aug 25, 2019
zioneel:

Thank u my brother, this is what i've been telling people, Van dijk is a good defender on the air, he's also a solid shield when it comes to defense against set pieces, but Van dijk doesn't intercept players like CBs do, he is just an overhyped piece of shit, even with all the interception and UCL Ramos won, he didn't win the Ballon d'or, Fifa will just confirm itself as a scam if Van dijk wins Ballon d'or.

Whats special about Ramos overated player, always on the book, too rough a player, how will he win ballon d'or
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 5:47pm On Aug 25, 2019
EbukaHades10:
Sentiment and hate won't let u watch match in peace. Go back and watch the highlights

Vvd was practically the last man and he knew he had to be cautious bcus Robbo who was supposed to mark Messi was MIA so he was calling on them to track back cus once Messi gets past him, it could lead to a goal.

Mind u, nobody ran faster than Vvd in that Barcelona game.

Next time, when watching football, calm down and check other areas of the field and not on only who's on the ball.

I'm sure you don't even remember how this run ended in this picture

VVD is a very smart defender
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by EbukaHades10(m): 6:21pm On Aug 25, 2019
m140:

VVD is a very smart defender

1 Like

Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by EbukaHades10(m): 6:25pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:
Messi can't humiliate VVD?? Nice joke!! Let him come close.. His shadow marking technique really make him look great to you!! Messi destroyed him while he was in Celtic!! He didn't have great partners like the ones he always call upon in Liverpool... VVD that was anonymous in the first leg of the Semi final in all the 3 goals?? He was no where to be found when Allison made that great Dembele save following the chance created by Messi!!!! You guys are high on English Media hype!!!

I keep saying it, Origi+Trent, and Gini saved VVD face in the semi final come back, there is nothing phenomenal about him...
If Liverpool still has Karius as a goalkeeper, I can say, "well, VVD is the one keeping the goal away". Allison was so good that he won the best goalkeeper even in the Copa America!! What did VVD do in the UEFA Nations League Netherlands was carried by Memphis most time in the competition. . I saw VVD destroyed by Gnabry in the penultimate and glided past by Bernaldo Silva in the final... De Ligt was more involved in the game than him in that final...
If he continues to shadow Mark, he may become a few season great.. He need to stop avoiding dribbling... Defence GOATs are not afraid to engage their opponents... He is lucky to have Matip and especially Allison at goal...

Barca defeated Celtic by 6 goals or so if I'm correct and during that game, Messi didn't dribble Vvd. He was tackling Messi.

If u can bring the clip where Messi "destroyed" Vvd, maybe I'll agree with u
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 7:49pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:
You will peak VVD ahead of peak John Terry, Vidic or Ferdinand?? ? You just murder VVD career for that blasphemy!!! grin

So you telling me i cant pick figo ahead of neymar,

VVD is smarter at the back than those guys
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 7:51pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:

I can see you didn't see how many goals liverpool conceded b4 he came to liverpool.
The guy is even improving everytime. Messi was there cant even get past him through both legged ties, VVD is a very good center back, this aint hype. Give credit to him, if you don't like him thats left to you.
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 7:53pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:

When i see a hater i know, sorry he is not in your team, sorry hmmm. Success really carries a lot of enemies. If he avoids them they should take it to him na
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by m140(m): 7:55pm On Aug 25, 2019
joshjc:
VVD is overhyped,guys like Vidic, Ferdinand and Terry were better, against Barcelona last season he was running away from Messi
If he runs away , messi should have taken it to him.
That barca na team
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 25, 2019
m140:

When i see a hater i know, sorry he is not in your team, sorry hmmm. Success really carries a lot of enemies. If he avoids them they should take it to him na
He is not that special.. He is not even as good as Ronaldo Koeman or the De Boer's brothers.. Stop the overhype!!!
He is the best defender in the world now... He will never be the best player in the world!!!
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 25, 2019
m140:

I can see you didn't see how many goals liverpool conceded b4 he came to liverpool.
The guy is even improving everytime. Messi was there cant even get past him through both legged ties, VVD is a very good center back, this aint hype. Give credit to him, if you don't like him thats left to you.
You can't see that Allison is an excellent goalkeeper!!!
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 25, 2019
m140:

So you telling me i cant pick figo ahead of neymar,

VVD is smarter at the back than those guys
Nice joke..
VVD will never be as great as Ferdinand, John Terry or Vidic!!!
We re talking about Premier League all time greats here...
VVD is a kid compared to them.. He should stay consistent for the next 8 seasons before he can be mentioned up to their higher level...
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 25, 2019
EbukaHades10:
Barca defeated Celtic by 6 goals or so if I'm correct and during that game, Messi didn't dribble Vvd. He was tackling Messi.

If u can bring the clip where Messi "destroyed" Vvd, maybe I'll agree with u
He is always anonymous just like in the first leg...
Origi and Gini brace in the second leg saved his overhyoed self!!!
Re: Nicolas Pepe Officially Dribbles Past Van Dijk To Shatter His 50-Game Record by EbukaHades10(m): 8:48pm On Aug 25, 2019
eni4real:
He is always anonymous just like in the first leg...
Origi and Gini brace in the second leg saved his overhyoed self!!!
So if I get u, u mean Vvd doesn't deserve the "hype" he's getting?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pictures Of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar And Others In 40 Years Time / Cristiano Ronaldo steps out with his $1.4m McLaren Senna (photos) / Maradona Slams Argentine Team, Compares Messi To Argentine Comedian, Patoruzu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.