Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers (68037 Views)

Little Girl Found Lost And Drifting At Sea By A Cruise Boat (pics/video) / Woman Crashes Her Car Into Frozen Lake, Takes Selfie As Car Sinks In Canada / Trailer Carrying Diesel Sinks In Owerri As A Newly Constructed Road Collapses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Mizwisdom(f): 11:10am On Aug 27, 2019
nadesh:
am asking as a novice, What are women and children doing in a ship ?

What sort of question is this? are women and kids barred from using Ship? you should be asking for what commercial purpose are all of them travelling not specifically singling out women and children

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by tutudesz: 11:11am On Aug 27, 2019
lawalosky:
shuuuuu. see pressing cheesy cheesy cheesy
How is that funny? You can see someone lifeless and its seems funny to you.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Suspect33(m): 11:11am On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
More...
bro did she survive?
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Inception(m): 11:12am On Aug 27, 2019
Suspect33:
bro did she survive?

it looks like she did not embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by PureGoldh(m): 11:13am On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
I write this with a lot of pain and grief. This was a bad one.

I woke up to a call yesterday of a loved one calling me and panting over the phone. I was like sister what's the problem?she shouted Amen upon hearing my voice.
I too, scared had to ask her again what the problem was?

She said that a vessel named Austrheim just sank at sea and knowing I do a lot of business with that route,she just had to call to make sure her loved one was not in it!

Actually I did not travel due to improper schedules of arrival of some of my commodities,making it impossible for my commodities to meet up with departure time of this particular vessel.
I was mad!!!little did I know that I was about to be saved of a huge financial loss that would have crippled me financially and put me in turmoil.
Every disappointment is indeed a blessing like people say.

At this point I just have to believe my mom's prayers actually works!

I was speechless,my heart fell in my stomach because I knew what it meant for me. Lots of money and lives lost!people have perished and livelihoods lost.

But at this point money isn't important but we should all give a moment of silence to the hustling men and women trying to make a living for themselves in those waters.

It left calabar on Saturday morning heading for tiko, Cameroon and never made it. It actually sank in the bakassi peninsula.

Word from survivors say it ran aground due to the captain's negligence and incompetence.

106 people have been rescued so far and I have started seeing missing person pictures of people I know too well and all I could do now is hope it is not what I think yet.

You are so so lucky brother..... I pray God will see them through

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Mizwisdom(f): 11:13am On Aug 27, 2019
baby124:
No life jackets? That alone should have this company in some very big trouble.

Don't you have eyes? can't you see that people are putting it on? or should they do CPR for the lady with her life jacket on?

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Psoul(m): 11:13am On Aug 27, 2019
Fourcade:

I heard about it yesterday. sad

We thank God for the gift of life!
Those missing I don't know their fate now. May the souls of the departed rest in peace. sad

I really don't know what's happening to COMATRANS. They lost their biggest ship 'Brenda Collete' just some months back with goods worth millions of Fcfa and now this. Na just to close the company remain. Even their Road transport means isn't operational again.

Did the owner of the company worked with Peace Mass Transit?

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Realmo: 11:15am On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
More...

Please tell me she made it.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by baby124: 11:15am On Aug 27, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Don't you have eyes? can't you see that people are putting it on? or should they do CPR for the lady with her life jacket on?
Is your head working correctly? Why will someone with life jacket drown? Abi you don’t know the use of a life jacket Obviously not everyone had it at the time of the vessel collapse.

6 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Suspect33(m): 11:15am On Aug 27, 2019
Inception:

it looks like she did not embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
my day has been spoiled, such a beautiful young lady sad sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by zicoraads: 11:16am On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
Please this should make FrontPage so relevant Authorities should see this and sanction that dysfunctional company.
Their recklessness has cost lives and properties of people a lot all in the space of 1year.
There must be something wrong.
Lalasticlala,justwise,seun.
Please push this and hold these people accountable for their actions.
Bro! Thank God for your life.

May those who have lost loved ones be comforted and their souls rest in peace.

3 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by franchasng: 11:16am On Aug 27, 2019
Mizwisdom:

I see life jackets and a rescue team, thank God. Why do people use this route? I'm interested in this information, thanks

It is a cheaper means of traveling to Cameroon and Gabon instead of using aeroplane.

and its also used to export goods and services from Nigeria to Cameroon and Gabon. In the past they usually use rickety smuggler's boat which sank almost every 2 weeks killing lots of people, but I guess things are improving as they now seem to have a more robust ship even though the op complains that the vessel operators are not managing them well, its really terrifying cry

5 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by SleekyPosh(m): 11:18am On Aug 27, 2019
good4all40:
This is extremely sad and traumatizing our government should sanction that company with heavy fine and huge compensation for the families of the casualties and those unaccounted for.

Which government are you talking about? Nigerian government? 'seriously bro. Lol

We will all die one way or the other whether we like it or not. Even me myself typing this. Thats the truth.

Live a soft and easy life.

Nobody will get out here alive whether Young or Old.

Seawater is 100 percent salty. Even if you don't die by shock or actual drowning...The Salt will destroy your lungs in minutes. Sad that woman is gone. All her hopes, plans, aspirations..Gone forever. and toball those who lost their lives. RIP.

OP you were not lucky. Its just not your time Yet. I pray God grants Us all long life and prosperity.

Peace out.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by freeze001(f): 11:18am On Aug 27, 2019
Spatta:

You are a wicked soul, from the tone on your write-up, you are a selfish individual who cares only for money, your Joy was that you did not travel on the vessel and you loss financially was averted how queer to have such though when you think about those who were unfortunate and the fact that a lady was being helped to live, the tone of your write-up suggest to my mind that you are so immature and childish
If money comes before life and especially that of others who were not so lucky, corruption has really taken a root in your soul

so sad to see the loss of lives in the process

I don't know what it is with some of you that just accuse others of corruption. I am very sure you have swallowed the 'fight against corruption' mantra hook, line and sinker while the idiots blowing such trumpet are the worst purveyors and enablers of the so-called corruption they claim to fight. Once someone says something you are probably too dull to understand or interpret you reduce it to corruption and name-calling. What is wrong with you? Are you mad? How do you just sit and decide that a person is wicked and selfish? Do you even have the faintest idea of the feeling that comes with a close shave or a near miss?

The op would have been on that ship but for some inexplicable twist of fate and now, he has every reason to be thankful that this calamity did not befall him. That does not in any way mean that he rejoices over the sad fate that has befallen others. It takes a humble, thankful heart to acknowledge the miracle that he now lives whilst still drawing attention to the plight of unfortunate victims and praying for their safety and recovery.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by fashrola(m): 11:19am On Aug 27, 2019
An investigation should be carried out on this vessel to avoid another accident of such...

They main cause of such accident at sea could be the following:

1. Incompetent Crew
2. Faulty Steering gear system (But there's always an emergency steering gear system in case the main one fails)
3. Crew Fatigue (I guess this company does not run a proper crew rotation system like other Nigerian maritime firm)
4. Loss of Main Engine/Generator Powering naviational aids/Steering System
5. Outdated/Faulty Navigational Aids

When a ship runs aground, especially in a rocky area, it pierce the hull (Old vessel like this might be plying Nigerian waters with a single hull) and you have water ingress, When you do not have a working bilge pump... Then there's a grave danger to personnel and passenger onboard.

If the above opinion happened, I will blame it on the captain because you have to put a distress call to all vessel nearby, launch your life-raft and all passengers will disembark the vessel.

The company should be fined heavily and management imprisoned

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
Indeed brother,I now believe this.
I don't know where all this luck comes from.like I am the last person that deserves it but it keeps following me everywhere I go.
Is it God?why me?I don't even pray!
Wow!!just speechless right now brother.

God is one patient kind of being.

Each time we complain, we insult God...

God hates WORRY, REGRET, COMPLAIN and ANXIETY.

But this is what human beings love to do everyday.

You didn't know he was saving you from death and loss.

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by baby124: 11:20am On Aug 27, 2019
franchasng:
It is a cheaper means of traveling to Cameroon and Gabon instead of using aeroplane.

and its also used to export goods and services from Nigeria to Cameroon and Gabon. In the past they usually use rickety smuggler's boat which sank always every 2 weeks killing lots of people, but I guess things are improving as they now seem to have a more robust ship even though the op complains that the vessel operators are not managing them well, its really terrifying cry
So, all the time they have been killing people in smugglers boats, no one was arrested or brought to book on the deaths. Plus Nigerians kept using them? Na wa o
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 11:21am On Aug 27, 2019
Spatta:

You are a wicked soul, from the tone on your write-up, you are a selfish individual who cares only for money, your Joy was that you did not travel on the vessel and you loss financially was averted how queer to have such though when you think about those who were unfortunate and the fact that a lady was being helped to live, the tone of your write-up suggest to my mind that you are so immature and childish
If money comes before life and especially that of others who were not so lucky, corruption has really taken a root in your soul

I think you are crazy,no offense.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by ZombieDestroyer: 11:22am On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
True Bro,true I swear.
Full truck of these was meant for that Austrheim.This would have been the end for Logobenz I swear.
But as fate will have it,I narrowly escaped!
It's not how.much a man plans that makes him succeed but at times luck and destiny(akaraka) follows too.
No mock anybody for street,you no smart or wise or sharp pass them.
Some people planned and worked too but e no just enter!

So you would have committed suicide if your goods were involved. That should be so, because such loss is not the end of the world!

In civilized climes such loss would be fully recovered from Insurance companies if the ship and the goods are properly insured!!

My prayer and thought are with the passengers! I hope they all survived!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Sonfethopia: 11:23am On Aug 27, 2019
Spatta:

My friend keep quiet.

11 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 11:23am On Aug 27, 2019
baby124:

So, all the time they have been killing people in smugglers boats, no one was arrested or brought to book on the deaths. Plus Nigerians kept using them? Na wa o
if you were in that business,you will use it too.
You've been missing btw.nive to have you back.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Mandyoluchi(m): 11:25am On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
Indeed brother,I now believe this.
I don't know where all this luck comes from.like I am the last person that deserves it but it keeps following me everywhere I go.
Is it God?why me?I don't even pray!
Wow!!just speechless right now brother.

God does it for you. Time to know Him better. He Has far better packages for you bro

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by baby124: 11:26am On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
if you were in that business,you will use it too.
You've been missing btw.nive to have you back.
They banned me.lol. grin. So, now I am free. We thank God for your life my brother. Try to live more deliberately and take less risks with these sorts of companies. Obviously alarm bells about their operations must have been ringing for a long time. When a company shows incompetence, try to use another company.

Those waters look really deep and rough however. An old vessel will not have survived it for very long. Deep, rough and rocky. Recipe for disaster.

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by fashrola(m): 11:26am On Aug 27, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

This could have been avoided. I thought the maritime industry's strictly regulated.

The Maritime Industry is strictly regulated, But the ships plying local routes get off with it because NIMASA is not beaming their radar towards them, because they do not make money to satisfy their greed.

More strictness is applied to vessels working with IOCS (Like Total, ExxonMobil, Addax, Chevron), In short before your vessel is hired by these companies, their superintendent will carry out a comprehensive inspection before hiring and most be compliant with the latest technology

Most of the ship carrying goods and passengers from Calabar to Cameroun are outdated ships with lot of defects and some are over due for dry docking.... I can never step onboard such ships because there are floating coffin on water

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by franchasng: 11:30am On Aug 27, 2019
baby124:

Blame the economy situation of Nigeria plus the tribalistic leadership of Nigeria, because the route is mostly used by Igbos who are the major people that use this route to trade and export goods and services to Cameroon and Gabon.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Mizwisdom(f): 11:31am On Aug 27, 2019
franchasng:

and its also used to export goods and services from Nigeria to Cameroon and Gabon. In the past they usually use rickety smuggler's boat which sank always every 2 weeks killing lots of people, but I guess things are improving as they now seem to have a more robust ship even though the op complains that the vessel operators are not managing them well, its really terrifying cry

Thanks for your response, the OP didn't bother to respond.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Eddygourdo(m): 11:31am On Aug 27, 2019
RiyadhGoddess:
Haaaaa this is serious.
Water is my biggest phobia. I can't even go close to water.
May their soul rest in peace and may God comfort the family they left behind.
my dear you are preaching to the choir. Water...... E Get me as strong enemy
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by baby124: 11:34am On Aug 27, 2019
franchasng:
Blame the economy situation of Nigeria plus the tribalistic leadership of Nigeria, because the route is mostly used Igbos who are the major people that use this route to trade and export goods and services to Cameroon and Gabon.
Honestly, I don’t think people have reported these incidents. If not for Logobenz this would have gone unreported as well. It’s a huge loss of lives. Nigerian government try to minimize responsibility. If they are not shamed in the media, they pretend like it never happened. I don’t think this is about Tribe.

Amaechi the minister of transport should answer for this. Also the Navy should be questioned seriously. How come Cameroon is rescuing our people. There is no presence of the Navy in our waters. So we are as porous everywhere as a broken basket. God help us in this country.

Also, the neighboring states and originating states should have stepped in or called the attention to the FG on this. So that sea travel can be made safer. This mode of transportation is definitely needed and FG need to support it and provide opportunity for the industry. Safety must be a priority. RIP to those who lost lives... passengers should not be in cargo holds for cargo vessels though. That’s completely crazy.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Danfo And Conductor Is Peru (Photos) / Man Discovers "Hidden Camera" In His Hotel Room At A Hotel In VI Lagos / Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.