Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:22 AM

Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers (68387 Views)

Little Girl Found Lost And Drifting At Sea By A Cruise Boat (pics/video) / Woman Crashes Her Car Into Frozen Lake, Takes Selfie As Car Sinks In Canada / Trailer Carrying Diesel Sinks In Owerri As A Newly Constructed Road Collapses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by lawalosky(m): 12:45pm On Aug 27, 2019
tutudesz:

How is that funny? You can see someone lifeless and its seems funny to you.
that man have not press for a long time.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by freeze001(f): 12:46pm On Aug 27, 2019
Why do you assume I am not female? Are there male and female patterns of writing? Are you able to deduce sex from a person's write-up?
IntroVAT:

Probably off-topic, but this is so very well written. My problem with you is that you claim to be female when you are clearly not. Lie lie people dey go hell o!

3 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by missjo(f): 12:47pm On Aug 27, 2019
baby124:

Honestly, I don’t think people have reported these incidents. If not for Logobenz this would have gone unreported as well. It’s a huge loss of lives. Nigerian government try to minimize responsibility. If they are not shamed in the media, they pretend like it never happened. I don’t think this is about Tribe.

Amaechi the minister of transport should answer for this. Also the Navy should be questioned seriously. How come Cameroon is rescuing our people. There is no presence of the Navy in our waters. So we are as porous everywhere as a broken basket. God help us in this country.

Also, the neighboring states and originating states should have stepped in or called the attention to the FG on this. So that sea travel can be made safer. This mode of transportation is definitely needed and FG need to support it and provide opportunity for the industry. Safety must be a priority. RIP to those who lost lives... passengers should not be in cargo holds for cargo vessels though. That’s completely crazy.
About the navy,i think if the capsize happened on Cameroonian waters, their navy would be the ones authorized for rescue operations.

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by freeze001(f): 12:50pm On Aug 27, 2019
Did you consider that Logobenz may be his trade/brand name or the name of his company?
ZombieDestroyer:

So you would have committed suicide if your goods were involved. That should be so, because such loss is not the end of the world!

In civilized climes such loss would be fully recovered from Insurance companies if the ship and the goods are properly insured!!

My prayer and thought are with the passengers! I hope they all survived!!

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by missjo(f): 12:50pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
The bolded is not true!!
What happened was COMATRANS had 4 vessels but was plaqued with incompetence since the owner decided to fire all the expatriates running it and started training his tribesmen to run that vessel.
Their first disaster happened in Gabon where all crew left their ship unattended to and improperly berthed to go and flex in town as big ballers wey dem be undecided
It floated away to a restricted water and when the navy of that country radioed them,there was no response.
It was shot down!first loss.
Second loss was their shining star Brenda Colette that caught fire right in a jetty due to flammable cargo.
I can't blame them for that.
Third loss was due to overload,the vessel did not even move an inch from the wharf and began sinking immediately right there infront of everyone.
Here now,the owner bankrupt(I know him personally) decided to borrow small money to rehabilitate the oldest of his fleet(Austrheim) to help him raise money for a better vessel which has now sank.
I think it is improper crew that wrecked this company because when the Senegalese crew were still there(captain Kahn to be precise),they never had a single incident for more than 13 years.
Really sad men.
This is sad
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by baby124: 12:50pm On Aug 27, 2019
missjo:

About the navy,i think if the capsize happened on Cameroonian waters, their navy would be the ones authorized for rescue operations.
I agree. But Logobenz said the capsize happened very soon after departure. Nigeria and Cameroon share borders but our Navy should also have been present at this incident if the report is accurate and even if it’s just to show support.

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 27, 2019
Problem for what, don't you have GIT insurance?
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by monimekaz(m): 12:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
I write this with a lot of pain and grief. This was a bad one.

I woke up to a call yesterday of a loved one calling me and panting over the phone. I was like sister what's the problem?she shouted Amen upon hearing my voice.
I too, scared had to ask her again what the problem was?

She said that a vessel named Austrheim just sank at sea and knowing I do a lot of business with that route,she just had to call to make sure her loved one was not in it!

Actually I did not travel due to improper schedules of arrival of some of my commodities,making it impossible for my commodities to meet up with departure time of this particular vessel.
I was mad!!!little did I know that I was about to be saved of a huge financial loss that would have crippled me financially and put me in turmoil.
Every disappointment is indeed a blessing like people say.

At this point I just have to believe my mom's prayers actually works!

I was speechless,my heart fell in my stomach because I knew what it meant for me. Lots of money and lives lost!people have perished and livelihoods lost.

But at this point money isn't important but we should all give a moment of silence to the hustling men and women trying to make a living for themselves in those waters.

It left calabar on Saturday morning heading for tiko, Cameroon and never made it. It actually sank in the bakassi peninsula.

Word from survivors say it ran aground due to the captain's negligence and incompetence.

106 people have been rescued so far and I have started seeing missing person pictures of people I know too well and all I could do now is hope it is not what I think yet.

Bros abeg I sent u a pm I will be glad if u can reply me .Thank u
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 12:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
baby124:

I agree. But Logobenz said the capsize happened very soon after departure. Nigeria and Cameroon share borders but our Navy should also have been present at this incident if the report is accurate and even if it’s just to show support.
Another country's navy in another's territory might be taken as an act of war which may result in gunfire,irrespective of their intent.
You know bakassi region is now cameroon and it's just some few minutes cruise by the vessel from NIWA,calabar.
But nonetheless,the Cameroonian navy did a great job,more than what the Nigerian navy that I know too well would have done.
B.I.R has rescued more people in that waters than the Nigerian navy that just berth there to extort helpless travellers.
But the Nigerian navy has done a great job in reducing piracy in that area,I must commend them for that too.

9 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
franchasng:
You don't know about it because you are not in government leadership, if you were, you will be filled with information of virtually everything happening in Nigeria, it is then left for u to act or not based on your interest.

See, I have been a bit privileged to be around top Nigerian leaders and I tell u that tribalism and religious discrimination are what destroyed Nigeria and they are the major things that will never allow Nigeria grow like most common Nigerians desire.

After the civil war, there were so many secret consensus among Hausa-Fulanis and Yoruba political elites and top military goons to keep Igbos under check through economy sabotage of Southeast region and by extension Southsouth.

In those various secret consensus, they agreed that an Igbo man will never become Chief of Army Staff or President, reason Ekwueme's chances to become Nigeria's president in 1983 and 1999 were all thwarted by the northern power brokers in collaboration with Yorubas.

Ekwueme formed PDP, he won the primary election but they did a power upturn to give the ticket to OBJ as compensation to Yorubas for MKO Abiola so they don't lose out their Southern division.

Ekwueme was to succeed Shagari, Buhari and his northern boys boycotted it through their coup.

Only few Middlebelt military officers later realized that Hausa-Fulanis were using them to work against Igbos that did them no wrong but agitating for equal treatment for all Nigerians irrespective of tribe, and reason Major Giddeon Okar plotted the coup to remove IBB and divide Nigeria into many nations but unfortunately the coup failed.

What's holding Nigeria down is the conspiracy by Hausa-Fulanis and Yoruba political elites to keep Igbos politically and economically below.

In terms of southeast state governors not doing much, let me tell u, there is nothing much a Nigerian state governor can do without Presidential support cos that's how Nigeria is structured by Gowon and subsequent military rulers and all efforts for this to be changed have been refused by the North who are the biggest beneficiaries.

Southeast don't get much revenue allocation. Out of the 6 geopolitical zones, only southeast have 5 states, why

So many crude oil reserves in Southeast have been intentionally abandoned without exploration to ensure southeast is made poor economically so they will not be seen as oil producing states. I know many unexplored crude oil sites abandoned by FG intentionally or for whatever reasons known to them.
You are an intellingent person no doubt, but just like most Nigerians plagued by tribalism, sadly you have allowed yourself to become a tool of ethnic jingoism.

When was the MINISTRY OF NIGER-DELTA established ? What is that ministry doing in South-south , as oil producing states, these South South states earn far more than every other state with the commission comming in from the Oil Companies in that area, why are the local/senate/state and Niger Delta ministry not doing anything about these critical issues.

You prefer to absolve these people of blame and go and blame the federal government, if your own kinsmen in these ministries are stealing and are unable to make any impact , hold them responsible.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by JB4life: 12:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
May God have mercy on us.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by missjo(f): 12:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
baby124:

I read it sank in the bakassi peninsula, that is Cameroonian waters

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 1:01pm On Aug 27, 2019
missjo:

I read it sank in the bakassi peninsula, that is Cameroonian waters
you are informed.
I'm impressed!

3 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Princegado1(m): 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2019
What we lost. After all the struggle but God is our strength and refuge.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by sisisioge: 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2019
Chai! You mean there are no life jackets sufficient for everybody onboard just in case this happens? Dearest Lord in heaven! If they had the life jackets, they might have been many more survivors! It is well.

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by IntroVAT: 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2019
freeze001:
Why do you assume I am not female? Are there male and female patterns of writing? Are you able to deduce sex from a person's write-up?

Yes, absolutely. I've taken a look at your profile, including your other posts and topics, sections of nairaland you visit, and I'm in no doubt that you are male.

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2019
Spatta:

You are a wicked soul, from the tone on your write-up, you are a selfish individual who cares only for money, your Joy was that you did not travel on the vessel and you loss financially was averted how queer to have such though when you think about those who were unfortunate and the fact that a lady was being helped to live, the tone of your write-up suggest to my mind that you are so immature and childish
If money comes before life and especially that of others who were not so lucky, corruption has really taken a root in your soul

so sad to see the loss of lives in the process
I have said this before and I continue to say it.. the type of senseless creatures on nairaland lately is just alarming .. did you think first before you wrote what you wrote down or did you just decide to open your mouth and say whatever comes out first.. and to think you even got likes from shallow
Minded and brainless people like you is even more disheartening.. in summary I’m really getting tired of Nairaland .. haba

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2019
ornicus:

when some of us talk about safety checks and insurance and sanctioning people with road worthless vehicles, you say we are speaking the english of employees who do not have businesses. you say nigeria is full of hustlers and these things do not matter. If we hear now that the captain did not have proper certification, what will you say? now see yourself sweating about how an accident could have ruined you. breadwinners will die in that boat because of the incompetence of the owner.

did they have enough life jackets for the passengers? did they have emergency procedures? did they have a rescue operation on standby? but all this is just English na. the important thing is hustle, no be so?

keep resting your business on prayers. just remember the people who were victims also have others praying for them

why should a business waste time on any of these? na hustle. everyone has to survive. we have not reached this level yet . let them do that in Canada or US
Try and run a business and make it grow in Nigeria.
Then come back and I will listen to you,that is if the business doesn't collapse before it even starts. smiley
Applying western ideas or mode of operation of business in Nigeria is outright foolishness and recipe for failure.
Know that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 27, 2019
Princegado1:
My heart actually goes out to you guys .. Logobenz as well.. My mom always says “once there is life , there is hope”

3 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by freeze001(f): 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
Nah, unfortunately you're wrong. I am actually female. I have lost count of how many times I have had to correct that impression though so I am not surprised. Tell me though, what leads to your conclusions of a person's sex abi na gender from writing and interests? Is it style, content, context, perceptions, opinions? What really?
IntroVAT:

Yes, absolutely. I've taken a look at your profile, including your other posts and topics, sections of nairaland you visit, and I'm in no doubt that you are male.

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
Try and run a business and make it grow in Nigeria.
Then come back and I will listen to you,that is if the business doesn't collapse before it even starts. smiley
Applying western ideas or mode of operation of business in Nigeria is outright foolishness and recipe for failure.
Know that.

then stop complaining and keep relying on prayers to protect your business.
the person responsible for this mess has the exact same mindset as you , and we can see the result
people would have also told him to invest in safety and he would have said - ma naija we dey
fortunately, just like you, most of the victims will pray rather than sue
i hope you can overlook this an continue to do business with the owner . he is after all a successful man, and your goods are insured by prayers [naija insurance] tongue

Logobenz3:
The bolded is not true!!
What happened was COMATRANS had 4 vessels but was plaqued with incompetence since the owner decided to fire all the expatriates running it and started training his tribesmen to run that vessel.

Their first disaster happened in Gabon where all crew left their ship unattended to and improperly berthed to go and flex in town as big ballers wey dem be undecidedIt floated away to a restricted water and when the navy of that country radioed them,there was no response.It was shot down!first loss.

Second loss was their shining star Brenda Colette that caught fire right in a jetty due to flammable cargo.
I can't blame them for that.

Third loss was due to overload,the vessel did not even move an inch from the wharf and began sinking immediately right there infront of everyone.

Here now,the owner bankrupt(I know him personally) decided to borrow small money to rehabilitate the oldest of his fleet(Austrheim) to help him raise money for a better vessel which has now sank.
I think it is improper crew that wrecked this company because when the Senegalese crew were still there(captain Kahn to be precise),they never had a single incident for more than 13 years.
Really sad men.

by your own words you are admitting that it was the much despised owestern way of doing things that had kept the company afloat in the past. dude, lay off whatever t is you're on. see as hustler mentality destroyed a company that was 13 years old. you wail about nigeria, but you are part of the problem . people who are still on duty going to flex as big boys tongue tongue

what you have seen right there is the nigerian way of doing things, and where it finally ends. i hope you will pick lessons from this before we hear of your own incident on FP.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by freeze001(f): 1:18pm On Aug 27, 2019
Ndo my brother. I have no words really.
Princegado1:

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by IntroVAT: 1:24pm On Aug 27, 2019
freeze001:
Nah, unfortunately you're wrong. I am actually female. I have lost count of how many times I have had to correct that impression though so I am not surprised. Tell me though, what leads to your conclusions of a person's sex abi na gender from writing and interests? Is it style, content, context, perceptions, opinions? What really?

My apologies for making assumptions about your gender. If I attempted to answer your question, I might get accused of sexism, although I found it a bit curious that you were more active in the politics section.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by freeze001(f): 1:28pm On Aug 27, 2019
Attempt away please. If you do appear sexist, I promise to let you know nicely, at least you are already aware of the possibility... grin
Apparently there'd be some stereotyping here n there but I'd just like to know if you don't mind. My interest in politics stems from my profession and general passion about these issues.
IntroVAT:

My apologies for making assumptions about your gender. If I attempted to answer your question, I might get accused of sexism, although I found it a bit curious that you were more active in the politics section.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by almarthins(m): 1:30pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:

I woke up to a call yesterday of a loved one calling me and panting over the phone. I was like sister what's the problem?she shouted Amen upon hearing my voice.

She said that a vessel named Austrheim just sank at sea and knowing I do a lot of business with that route,she just had to call to make sure her loved one was not in it!

Actually I did not travel due to improper schedules of arrival of some of my commodities,making it impossible for my commodities to meet up with departure time of this particular vessel.
I was mad!!!little did I know that I was about to be saved of a huge financial loss that would have crippled me financially and put me in turmoil.

I was speechless,my heart fell in my stomach because I knew what it meant for me. Lots of money and lives lost!people have perished and livelihoods lost.

But at this point money isn't important but we should all give a moment of silence to the hustling men and women trying to make a living for themselves in those waters.

It left calabar on Saturday morning heading for tiko, Cameroon and never made it. It actually sank in the bakassi peninsula.

Word from survivors say it ran aground due to the captain's negligence and incompetence.

106 people have been rescued so far and I have started seeing missing person pictures of people I know too well and all I could do now is hope it is not what I think yet.

I Thank God for you. You should do a special thanks or praises to God. Who no go no go know, na who go fit tell the story.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by naijadrivablog: 1:31pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:

Hmm. I hope it is not that spot rumoured to swallow boats into a "sinkhole".
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by raphy(m): 1:31pm On Aug 27, 2019
how can you enter a ship without a life jacket or you think its easy on the water..

Jesu's wept.

may the soul..of dead R.I.P amen

we are about.to enter ember month and this just happen .

witches Nd wizard are upgrading pray always evryday.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by ajl: 1:31pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:

So you this kind of business without insurance coverage? Thats too risky.

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 1:40pm On Aug 27, 2019
Princegado1:
bro I was under the impression that the Indian that sells that Heineken to you people in SPAR warehouse calabar no longer brings it anymore.
And when I use to do that business,the price was 4100 naira a crate if you are buying trailer load.
So how did you get yours?still from him?
Also how do you sell it over there(Douala) at this current exchange rate(N530/1000cfa) since no one is willing to add 1cfa for it for you in Douala?
Please clarify,I'm curious.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by fukushaki(m): 1:41pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
More of the plagued Austrheim angry

Logobenz please would like to make enquiry about this export business. My email: dexbrown7@gmail.com. thanks

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2019
fukushaki:

Logobenz please would like to make enquiry about this export business. My email: dexbrown7@gmail.com. thanks
ok no issues,will reply soonest.

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2019
ajl:

So you this kind of business without insurance coverage? Thats too risky.
when you pay insurance finish,what will be your profit?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Yangsigang Yangtze River Bridge In China, Looking Like 'A Ladder To Heaven' / Benin Stowaway Boy: Plane's Engine Still Echoes In My Ears / Lady Stikes A Pose As Airport Officials In Lagos Stare - .Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.