Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,085 members, 7,953,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:52 PM

Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers (68378 Views)

Little Girl Found Lost And Drifting At Sea By A Cruise Boat (pics/video) / Woman Crashes Her Car Into Frozen Lake, Takes Selfie As Car Sinks In Canada / Trailer Carrying Diesel Sinks In Owerri As A Newly Constructed Road Collapses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by tot(f): 2:17pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
when you pay insurance finish,what will be your profit?

But compare the cost of that insurance to the cost of the goods lost. Insurance should be mandatory for anyone venturing into such business otherwise it becomes a case of penny wise, pound foolish.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by fukushaki(m): 2:21pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
ok no issues,will reply soonest.

Thanks
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 2:23pm On Aug 27, 2019
tot:

But compare the cost of that insurance to the cost of the goods lost. Insurance should be mandatory for anyone venturing into such business otherwise it becomes a case of penny wise, pound foolish.
also,if I pay insurance and my competitors don't pay and we are to sell in the same market,don't you think my price will be higher than theirs and hence no one will buy my goods?
There is no room for extra cost here,trust me wink
Unless of course it is made mandatory for everyone that loads in that vessel to pay insurance,then we will because we all suffer the dame or similar cost burden.
Business no easy my dear.
Even for Tin can,Apapa,Europe and America(i participate a lot in that sphere too),we dey bypass insurance steady and customs too.
That is some of the ways importers make money.

4 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by tot(f): 2:28pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
also,if I pay insurance and my competitors don't pay and we are to sell in the same market,don't you think my price will be higher than theirs and hence no one will buy my goods?
There is no room for extra cost here,trust me wink
Unless of course it is made mandatory for everyone that loads in that vessel to pay insurance,then we will because we all suffer the dame or similar cost burden.
Business no easy my dear.
Even for Tin can,Apapa,Europe and America(i participate a lot in that sphere too),we dey bypass insurance steady and customs too.
That is some of the ways importers make money.

I know, I totally understand it's not easy. It's just that having insurance gives you peace of mind that if any mishap happens (which is a high possibility in a high risk environment like Nigeria) your investment is protected.

Why not get quotes from different insurance companies? It might not be as high as you think and you may be able to spread the cost.
Nonetheless, all the best with your business.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Mariangeles(f): 2:42pm On Aug 27, 2019
This is such an unfortunate news .
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by DaddySimple: 2:46pm On Aug 27, 2019
RiyadhGoddess:
Haaaaa this is serious.
Water is my biggest phobia. I can't even go close to water.
May their soul rest in peace and may God comfort the family they left behind.
Dear future husband pls take note, No Romantic Date on the water. Thank you...

I have taken note dear. There are better places to have romantic dates than inside river/ocean/lagoon.

May the souls of the lives lost rest in perfect peace.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 27, 2019
Your typical Nigerian never has money to invest in safety, but will spend money on flexing. Reinvest in areas that will make the business grow is a complete nono. Better to spend the money on chop life.

This is the result. Those who have ears let them hear. It is the same way some of my colleagues refused to insure their cars and had same completely totaled in accidents.

4 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by OnyeMmeri: 2:55pm On Aug 27, 2019
So sad. cry cry
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by missjo(f): 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2019
Princegado1:
What we lost. After all the struggle but God is our strength and refuge.
Gosh,i empathize with you.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by missjo(f): 3:06pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
you are informed.
I'm impressed!
Thank you
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by amaks: 3:09pm On Aug 27, 2019
Insurance should investigate. I hope they can pay up. Sad.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Imustreturn(m): 3:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
Another country's navy in another's territory might be taken as an act of war which may result in gunfire,irrespective of their intent.
You know bakassi region is now cameroon and it's just some few minutes cruise by the vessel from NIWA,calabar.
But nonetheless,the Cameroonian navy did a great job,more than what the Nigerian navy that I know too well would have done.
B.I.R has rescued more people in that waters than the Nigerian navy that just berth there to extort helpless travellers.
But the Nigerian navy has done a great job in reducing piracy in that area,I must commend them for that too.
what business are you into?
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by RiyadhGoddess(f): 3:46pm On Aug 27, 2019
DaddySimple:

I have taken note dear. There are better places to have romantic dates than inside river/ocean/lagoon.

May the souls of the lives lost rest in perfect peace.

Amin
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by DateMynd44(m): 3:55pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
Indeed brother,I now believe this.
I don't know where all this luck comes from.like I am the last person that deserves it but it keeps following me everywhere I go.
Is it God?why me?I don't even pray!
Wow!!just speechless right now brother.
my neighbor lost his life early this year when a vessel sank at the sea on his way from Cameroon to Akwa Ibom. he actually imports rice and yam
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
DateMynd44:
my neighbor lost his life early this year when a vessel sank at the sea on his way from Cameroon to Akwa Ibom. he actually imports rice and yam
vessel?rice?
My brother na lighter(stick boat) carry your neighbour and e rice.
He is a smuggler and I know those routes too well.
My condolences to him.just a man hustling for bread.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
Imustreturn:
what business are you into?
drugs grin

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Buharimustgo: 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2019
fashrola:
An investigation should be carried out on this vessel to avoid another accident of such...

They main cause of such accident at sea could be the following:

1. Incompetent Crew
2. Faulty Steering gear system (But there's always an emergency steering gear system in case the main one fails)
3. Crew Fatigue (I guess this company does not run a proper crew rotation system like other Nigerian maritime firm)
4. Loss of Main Engine/Generator Powering naviational aids/Steering System
5. Outdated/Faulty Navigational Aids

When a ship runs aground, especially in a rocky area, it pierce the hull (Old vessel like this might be plying Nigerian waters with a single hull) and you have water ingress, When you do not have a working bilge pump... Then there's a grave danger to personnel and passenger onboard.

If the above opinion happened, I will blame it on the captain because you have to put a distress call to all vessel nearby, launch your life-raft and all passengers will disembark the vessel.

The company should be fined heavily and management imprisoned

This is my position
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by pocohantas(f): 4:29pm On Aug 27, 2019
ornicus:

when some of us talk about safety checks and insurance and sanctioning people with road worthless vehicles, you say we are speaking the english of employees who do not have businesses. you say nigeria is full of hustlers and these things do not matter. If we hear now that the captain did not have proper certification, what will you say? now see yourself sweating about how an accident could have ruined you. breadwinners will die in that boat because of the incompetence of the owner.

did they have enough life jackets for the passengers? did they have emergency procedures? did they have a rescue operation on standby? but all this is just English na. the important thing is hustle, no be so?

keep resting your business on prayers. just remember the people who were victims also have others praying for them

why should a business waste time on any of these? na hustle. everyone has to survive. we have not reached this level yet . let them do that in Canada or US

Lmao. You no dey forget something.

RIP to the dead. That ship or whatever, looks like something for moving tin milk, not humans.

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Buharimustgo: 4:34pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
The bolded is not true!!
What happened was COMATRANS had 4 vessels but was plaqued with incompetence since the owner decided to fire all the expatriates running it and started training his tribesmen to run that vessel.
Their first disaster happened in Gabon where all crew left their ship unattended to and improperly berthed to go and flex in town as big ballers wey dem be undecided
It floated away to a restricted water and when the navy of that country radioed them,there was no response.
It was shot down!first loss.
Second loss was their shining star Brenda Colette that caught fire right in a jetty due to flammable cargo.
I can't blame them for that.
Third loss was due to overload,the vessel did not even move an inch from the wharf and began sinking immediately right there infront of everyone.
Here now,the owner bankrupt(I know him personally) decided to borrow small money to rehabilitate the oldest of his fleet(Austrheim) to help him raise money for a better vessel which has now sank.
I think it is improper crew that wrecked this company because when the Senegalese crew were still there(captain Kahn to be precise),they never had a single incident for more than 13 years.
Really sad men.
Are you sure his hands are clean? Mami water is collecting her money back ooo
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by DelilahMakinde(f): 4:43pm On Aug 27, 2019
Buharimustgo:

Are you sure his hands are clean? Mami water is collecting her money back ooo

Olowo ti gbowo e.

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by elegantslayer(f): 4:44pm On Aug 27, 2019
RiyadhGoddess:
Haaaaa this is serious.
Sis,I have a very strong phobia for water too,infact I can't swim till not even in a pool... and I don't even plan learning how to swim anytime soon..
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 27, 2019
franchasng:
You don't know about it because you are not in government leadership, if you were, you will be filled with information of virtually everything happening in Nigeria, it is then left for u to act or not based on your interest.

See, I have been a bit privileged to be around top Nigerian leaders and I tell u that tribalism and religious discrimination are what destroyed Nigeria and they are the major things that will never allow Nigeria grow like most common Nigerians desire.

After the civil war, there were so many secret consensus among Hausa-Fulanis and Yoruba political elites and top military goons to keep Igbos under check through economy sabotage of Southeast region and by extension Southsouth.

In those various secret consensus, they agreed that an Igbo man will never become Chief of Army Staff or President, reason Ekwueme's chances to become Nigeria's president in 1983 and 1999 were all thwarted by the northern power brokers in collaboration with Yorubas.

Ekwueme formed PDP, he won the primary election but they did a power upturn to give the ticket to OBJ as compensation to Yorubas for MKO Abiola so they don't lose out their Southern division.

Ekwueme was to succeed Shagari, Buhari and his northern boys boycotted it through their coup.

Only few Middlebelt military officers later realized that Hausa-Fulanis were using them to work against Igbos that did them no wrong but agitating for equal treatment for all Nigerians irrespective of tribe, and reason Major Giddeon Okar plotted the coup to remove IBB and divide Nigeria into many nations but unfortunately the coup failed.

What's holding Nigeria down is the conspiracy by Hausa-Fulanis and Yoruba political elites to keep Igbos politically and economically below.

In terms of southeast state governors not doing much, let me tell u, there is nothing much a Nigerian state governor can do without Presidential support cos that's how Nigeria is structured by Gowon and subsequent military rulers and all efforts for this to be changed have been refused by the North who are the biggest beneficiaries.

Southeast don't get much revenue allocation. Out of the 6 geopolitical zones, only southeast have 5 states, why

So many crude oil reserves in Southeast have been intentionally abandoned without exploration to ensure southeast is made poor economically so they will not be seen as oil producing states. I know many unexplored crude oil sites abandoned by FG intentionally or for whatever reasons known to them.

Nice story for the dundees consumption. The only thing I want you to clarify in this nonsense write-up is whether "Azubuike Ihejerika" is of Fulani or Yoruba extraction.

Your victim mentality will ruin you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by KingEzo: 4:45pm On Aug 27, 2019
Jesus! this is very sad in this harsh economy. where are they going to start over after investing huge amount of money to start there business. me still dey here saving from the little I'm earning to start a business.. this world is indeed comical.
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 4:47pm On Aug 27, 2019
pocohantas:

Lmao. You no dey forget something.

RIP to the dead. That ship or whatever, looks like something for moving tin milk, not humans.
Go and do your research on ferries.
They move both humans and cargo and it costs a lot of money to purchase and run.
Travel out more so you can experience and see these things first hand.
And as for the dummy up there saying trash,I am still waiting for him to start and run a business successfully for 3 months.not hide under someone's shadow and collect salary and you begin to feel you are smarter than everybody else.
Honestly if he was,he won't be where he is!
James started COMATRANS in his 30s so I expect you brother ornicus to please show us the right thing to do undecided
Ndi ala

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by RiyadhGoddess(f): 4:55pm On Aug 27, 2019
elegantslayer:
Sis,I have a very strong phobia for water too,infact I can't swim till not even in a pool... and I don't even plan learning how to swim anytime soon..

Lols I dey fear water ooo
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Sarang(f): 4:56pm On Aug 27, 2019
tillaman:
it doesn’t necessarily have to do with prayers!!
If a man is pure in heart, or sometimes a prayerful mother too, there are people on that ship or people that have goods worth millions on that ship that are very prayerful but they still became victims

No one is worse than the other.
Unforeseen occurrences befalls us all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Sarang(f): 4:56pm On Aug 27, 2019
tillaman:
it doesn’t necessarily have to do with prayers!!
If a man is pure in heart, or sometimes a prayerful mother too, there are people on that ship or people that have goods worth millions on that ship that are very prayerful but they still became victims

No one is worse or better than the other.
Unforeseen occurrences befalls us all
Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by pocohantas(f): 4:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
ornicus:
Your typical Nigerian never has money to invest in safety, but will spend money on flexing. Reinvest in areas that will make the business grow is a complete nono. Better to spend the money on chop life.

This is the result. Those who have ears let them hear. It is the same way some of my colleagues refused to insure their cars and had same completely totaled in accidents.

They are cutting cost. It is all hustle...till something goes wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Triniti(m): 5:09pm On Aug 27, 2019
Chai, this your story reminded me a same scenario that happened in this same calabar port years back. I think they overload this vessels a lot, I dunno if there’s a way the gauge the normal loads to carry as most of the accidents occur when the vessels are overloaded. Rip Angel Gabriel” that was the name of that huge vessel that I watched sank on sea

1 Like

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Logobenz3: 5:13pm On Aug 27, 2019
Triniti:
Chai, this your story reminded me a same scenario that happened in this same calabar port years back. I think they overload this vessels a lot, I dunno if there’s a way the gauge the normal loads to carry as most of the accidents occur when the vessels are overloaded. Rip Angel Gabriel” that was the name of that huge vessel that I watched sank on sea
I know Angel Gabriel na.
Very huge monster that plied Calabar to Limbe route.
Sank in 2010 or so I think.its been long so I don forget.
Yes they overload those vessels a lot then but adjusted after the whole Angel Gabriel saga and they Advent of Egyptian and Senegalese crew.
Those guys don't take shit.When they say no more load,they mean it.
Also Fakoship too did well but excess cost ran the company aground.
They employed ornicus's business model in Nigeria and barely ran for 2 years undecided
Come triniti e be like I sabi you o lol.
If I begin mention names now you go shout haha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by ttmax09(m): 5:14pm On Aug 27, 2019
RiyadhGoddess:
Haaaaa this is serious.
And I have been planning to ask you out on a DATE to 788 on the sea. Condolences to the victims though

Re: Austrheim Sinks: Disaster At Sea, Sad Day For Nigerian Businessmen & Travellers by Triniti(m): 5:31pm On Aug 27, 2019
Logobenz3:
I know Angel Gabriel na.
Very huge monster that plied Calabar to Limbe route.
Sank in 2010 or so I think.its been long so I don forget.
Yes they overload those vessels a lot then but adjusted after the whole Angel Gabriel saga and they Advent of Egyptian and Senegalese crew.
Those guys don't take shit.When they say no more load,they mean it.
Also Fakoship too did well but excess cost ran the company aground.
They employed ornicus's business model in Nigeria and barely ran for 2 years undecided
Come triniti e be like I sabi you o lol.
If I begin mention names now you go shout haha
You were almost right Nwanneni. The Angel Gabriel accident happened in 2007. That vessel was huge as trailers lined up for two days offloading goods on it. Well, that wasn’t my line of business. I was just trying to cure my curiosity about water travels and my brother insisted that I bring in his goods while coming. He deals on spare parts. I was going to Cameroon, while Angel Gabriel was going to Gabon....Lol. Some guys are scared of water, when men dey enter six passengers flying boat from Cameroon to Nigeria under few hours. I swear, if Na to hustle make money, Ipob get the mind.Bro, I go follow you talk soon. Make I just finish Wetin dey my hand

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Yangsigang Yangtze River Bridge In China, Looking Like 'A Ladder To Heaven' / Benin Stowaway Boy: Plane's Engine Still Echoes In My Ears / Welcome To Akure City (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.