Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Pioneer Maize Seed - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pioneer Maize Seed (16499 Views)

Pioneer Maize Seeds Needed / Seedco Maize Seed Both Yellow And White Is Available! / Confused About The Suitable Maize Seed To Plant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by DejiofGod: 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2020
Hello Nairalanders,
I have follow through your conversations and I think I love your guts and readiness to succeed in what you believed in regards the subject matter.
Please how much is Pioneer Maize per bag and what is the average kg/bag.
I also observed from all the conversations in the trends, no one reay talked about the White Pioneer Maize at all, perhaps it was discredited when mentioned. is there any reservation about the Pioneer Maize why its not been talk about? What if there is market for it?
I will appreciate swift response from all a sundering on this topic. Thanks.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by lizdammy: 8:57pm On Feb 19, 2020
shariff84:
here is the answers to ur questions.1- you can't not buy the land at that amount,iam paying 25k per year for four hectares as leased. the 37k per hectare is money for seed only,normally pioneer seed is the most expensive maize seed in Nigeria. 2-the urea is currently 7k5 per bag in our area and iam applying four 4 bags per hectare at week six. 3-iam not paying the pioneer officials for supervision,if you buy their seed,consultations and supervision is free.thanks
Thanks
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by skyoboy(m): 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2020
Information reaching me from one of their agents, is that pioneer seed is now sold for 30k. l plan to buy 4 bags this year.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Chiansky(m): 1:09am On Mar 18, 2020
noeloge82:

Soil and weather plays a great role in every crop , in maize I usually plant sammaz 35 and oba 4 but this year I tried OPV and I was suppried with results,
Meanwhile my farm is in southwest so remember the rain here is great with a good sunshine
And I sell fresh and I can tell u any day anytime I had good results

How much did you sale ur fresh maize
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by noeloge82(m): 5:18am On Mar 18, 2020
Chiansky:

How much did you sale ur fresh maize
I don't understand this question and I didn't sell by kilo if thats what ur asking and its 7 for 200
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Mrkellz: 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2020
shariff84:
I even bought multi purpose thresher for maize,beans and suyabean.iam taking it to village today for both my personal used and commercial used.

Wow.. Thats cool. Looks like it'll make work a lot more efficient. Pls how much and where did you get it?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by RealBABAEMI: 11:02am On Apr 28, 2020
you have done so been truthful and you are reliable by that. I planted premier maize last year and I got 4.5 tons per hectare.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 11:16am On Apr 28, 2020
RealBABAEMI:
you have done so been truthful and you are reliable by that. I planted premier maize last year and I got 4.5 tons per hectare.
thank you,pioneer its just a waste of money on seed only.I intend to plant only premier seed this year,oba 98 to be precise.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 11:17am On Apr 28, 2020
Mrkellz:

Wow.. Thats cool. Looks like it'll make work a lot more efficient. Pls how much and where did you get it?
110k,Kontagora Niger state is the location.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by NextDayPP: 5:10pm On Apr 28, 2020
I thank the OP for this, especially his sincerity in final outcome. I haven't done maize this big, but big or small, the procedures are the same.
I support 100% all Mr Vonxe contributions and also learn a couple more things. I think this is where the problem came from, inadequate rainfall when most needed, I guess the fact that you don't live close to your farm is the reason you don't know. Early tasseling is a sign of stress. I pray you get better yield next time.

vonxe:

For 75 - 80 days maturity
You need OPTIMUM nutrient and rainfall between the 4th - 7th week. How was the rainfall in your area between 16-30th of August?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Mrkellz: 2:07am On Apr 29, 2020
shariff84:
110k,Kontagora Niger state is the location.
Thanks.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by noeloge82(m): 7:04am On Apr 29, 2020
Early maize

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 1:28pm On Apr 29, 2020
shariff84:
thank you,pioneer its just a waste of money on seed only.I intend to plant only premier seed this year,oba 98 to be precise.

I beg to differ. Maize farming requires attention to details. Like I noticed, you never mentioned anything about soil test- so, perhaps you didn't know the state of the soil, acidic or otherwise.

Also, you intercropped your maize; with this, there's no way you could obtain optimum yield!
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by johnoye12(f): 5:01am On Aug 30, 2020
Please. Which chemical did you use for weed control? Thanks
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:19am On Aug 30, 2020
johnoye12:
Please. Which chemical did you use for weed control? Thanks
first weeding,manual and second weeding chemical.at week three and six respectively.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by decor1234: 1:56am On Sep 03, 2020
I find this info very informative and will be using it in my future maize venture. I like to ask a few questions?
How do you apply the fertilizers? I mean the best way to do it?
What seed planter do you use for planting?
Is hybrid seeds worth value for money?
Would u be interested in joining a team of maize and soybean grower on a big project?

vonxe:

May God bless your farm. Amin
I have some questions and advise
What plant spacing did you use?
Is the land a virgin land?
You planted in July, how did your plant fare during the August break?

1. I think your fertilizer application is not enough. 3 bags of npk is not enough for even a 30000 plant population talkless of 50-70k
2. You did not use any insecticides some of the leaves were bad in the pics.
3. Intercropping other crops with maize is not a good idea. Although legumes are good source of nitrogen but they compete phosphorus and potassium with the maize.
4. Please endeavour to use a foliar spray for micronutrients. NPK are the major nutrient what of other important micronutrients which may not be available in your soil.

I believe the yield will definitely improve if these are taking in consideration.

Note.
2.25-2.4g of nitrogen is needed per plant
For 50k plant population
50000*2.25 = 112.5 kg of Nitrogen needed

1 bag of Npk 15:15:15 is 7.5kg of N; 7.5kg of P ; 7.5kg K
1 bag of Npk 20:10:10 is 10kg N ; 5kg P; 5kg K
1 bag of urea 46:0:0 is 23kg N

For 50000 you need a minimum of :
8 bags of npk 15:15:15 and 3 bags of urea
Or 12 bags of npk 20:10:10 only applied twice, 6 bags per application

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by decor1234: 12:51pm On Sep 03, 2020
I like that you added that this is the minimum. It is always recommended to apply more because only about 50-70% ends been available for the plant.
May God bless your farm. Amin
I have some questions and advise
What plant spacing did you use?
Is the land a virgin land?
You planted in July, how did your plant fare during the August break?

1. I think your fertilizer application is not enough. 3 bags of npk is not enough for even a 30000 plant population talkless of 50-70k
2. You did not use any insecticides some of the leaves were bad in the pics.
3. Intercropping other crops with maize is not a good idea. Although legumes are good source of nitrogen but they compete phosphorus and potassium with the maize.
4. Please endeavour to use a foliar spray for micronutrients. NPK are the major nutrient what of other important micronutrients which may not be available in your soil.

I believe the yield will definitely improve if these are taking in consideration.

Note.
2.25-2.4g of nitrogen is needed per plant
For 50k plant population
50000*2.25 = 112.5 kg of Nitrogen needed

1 bag of Npk 15:15:15 is 7.5kg of N; 7.5kg of P ; 7.5kg K
1 bag of Npk 20:10:10 is 10kg N ; 5kg P; 5kg K
1 bag of urea 46:0:0 is 23kg N

For 50000 you need a minimum of :
8 bags of npk 15:15:15 and 3 bags of urea
Or 12 bags of npk 20:10:10 only applied twice, 6 bags per application

[/quote]
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Jonnic1(m): 11:27am On Mar 08, 2021
Thanks guys for your contributions. I have learnt a lot. I think it is worthy of note to draw our attention to the disparity between the number of plots represented in a hectare in the Northern and Southern parts of Nigeria. A hectare in the North is 10 plots (100x100 = 1 plot). while a hectare in the Southern part of Nigeria I was told is about 15 plots. If this submission is correct then the yield will be different. if for example you got 2.5 tons or 4.5tons and above kindly let us know the number of plots that make up 1 hectare in your area. Thanks.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Katilo: 6:02pm On Mar 08, 2021
shariff84:
I bought planter double seeder from Lagos at 57k
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Katilo: 6:12pm On Mar 08, 2021
Good day house. Please I need the adjustable manual seed planter with two containers. Where can I get one to buy at a good price? I want to plant maize on 1 hectare of land. What is the quantity of maize seeds that I will likely need? Also, I will like to know which fertiliser and quantity to apply. Thanks and regards.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Katilo: 6:20pm On Mar 08, 2021
I just read a post by shariff84 where he posted that he just bought a double seeder planter for 57k. I am interested and would like to have one. Kindly reach out to me through my email: fbfarms2@gmail.com. Thanks. [quote author=Katilo post=99717720][/quote]
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:41pm On Mar 08, 2021
Katilo:
Good day house. Please I need the adjustable manual seed planter with two containers. Where can I get one to buy at a good price? I want to plant maize on 1 hectare of land. What is the quantity of maize seeds that I will likely need? Also, I will like to know which fertiliser and quantity to apply. Thanks and regards.
send me WhatsApp 08032777272.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Oyembete: 5:56am On Mar 09, 2021
skyoboy:
I think pioneer seed is the best in Nigeria for now. My uncle got 8.5 tons from his farm. He used 9 bags of NPK at planting and 4 bags of UREA at 5 weeks after planting.

Please 9 bags of NPK of which ratio?

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Oyembete: 6:16am On Mar 09, 2021
What can I do to prevent rodents like lizard or squirrel from uprooting my maize seeds after planting or immediately after germination.
I really need the help from the house.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 8:13am On Mar 09, 2021
Oyembete:
What can I do to prevent rodents like lizard or squirrel from uprooting my maize seeds after planting or immediately after germination.
I really need the help from the house.
get another local seed separate, get rat poison like commandor, mixed it with maize and spray it in ur farm.So that they will die when they eat it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Oyembete: 11:50am On Mar 09, 2021
shariff84:
get another local seed separate, get rat poison like commandor, mixed it with maize and spray it in ur farm.So that they will die when they eat it.

Thanks
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by luap1990(m): 8:02am On Mar 16, 2021
Hello fellas. Please where can I get pioneer maize seed in Ibadan, and how many bag for 5 hectares?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by peacealways: 6:19am On Mar 18, 2021
I also need this maize
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by luap1990(m): 7:25am On Mar 18, 2021
peacealways:
I also need this maize

I have gotten mine through their rep in Ibadan.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by EyesOnGod41: 9:44am On Mar 18, 2021
Good morning house.

I have 9 hectares of farmland located somewhere in Nasarawa state that I want to do mixed cropping of maize and groundnut on. We just experienced the second rainfall this morning and I think it's time for me to start my farming activities.

I've already inspected my land and I do not need to do any clearing and burning as cattles have been grazing on it since I harvested my beans in December.

Though I've tried local variety a couple of times to have a bit of experience but now I want to go commercial with maize and groundnut and wouldn't want to make any wrong decisions. Just for the record, I spent over N1.3m last year being my first time venturing into a large scale farming but this time I plan to be more economical and cut all unnecessary costs. To achieve this, I need your advice on the following:

1. What is the best maize seed I should get and what's the cost per bag?

2. I intend to plant 20 - 25kg/ha at 75cm by 25cm, is this okay considering that I'll be mixing it with groundnut?

3. Do I need to apply NPK immediately after planting the maize and how many bags of 15:15:15 should I budget for per hectare? @decor1234 do you advice I combine NPK and UREA at first application or apply only NKP first then UREA after 5 weeks?
NOTE: I'll not be doing soil testing because the soil is very fertile and there's a lot of cow dungs all over the land

4. At what stage after planting maize should I plant groundout to avoid competition between the corps?

5. I understand that seed ratio should be 1 plant per hole, how do I ensure this when I'll be employing people to do the planting for me and is it better if I get myself a planter?

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread, your questions and answers really enlightened me. Last year, I applied glyphosate herbicide immediately after planting melon, but still had to do manual weeding after about 3-4 weeks. This time I'll be doing a manual weeding at week three and second weeding with chemical at week six as @shariff84 advised.

As I look forward to answers to my numerous question, thanks and may God bless our effort this year.

Cc shariff84
Decor1234
Vonxe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cheapest affordable Peanut flour Coating Machine at N70,000 / Having A Drop In Egg Production / Supply Of Snail's For Rearing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.