Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Pioneer Maize Seed - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pioneer Maize Seed (16501 Views)

Pioneer Maize Seeds Needed / Seedco Maize Seed Both Yellow And White Is Available! / Confused About The Suitable Maize Seed To Plant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:40pm On Mar 18, 2021
EyesOnGod41:
Good morning house.

I have 9 hectares of farmland located somewhere in Nasarawa state that I want to do mixed cropping of maize and groundnut on. We just experienced the second rainfall this morning and I think it's time for me to start my farming activities.

I've already inspected my land and I do not need to do any clearing and burning as cattles have been grazing on it since I harvested my beans in December.

Though I've tried local variety a couple of times to have a bit of experience but now I want to go commercial with maize and groundnut and wouldn't want to make any wrong decisions. Just for the record, I spent over N1.3m last year being my first time venturing into a large scale farming but this time I plan to be more economical and cut all unnecessary costs. To achieve this, I need your advice on the following:

1. What is the best maize seed I should get and what's the cost per bag?

2. I intend to plant 20 - 25kg/ha at 75cm by 25cm, is this okay considering that I'll be mixing it with groundnut?

3. Do I need to apply NPK immediately after planting the maize and how many bags of 15:15:15 should I budget for per hectare? @decor1234 do you advice I combine NPK and UREA at first application or apply only NKP first then UREA after 5 weeks?
NOTE: I'll not be doing soil testing because the soil is very fertile and there's a lot of cow dungs all over the land

4. At what stage after planting maize should I plant groundout to avoid competition between the corps?

5. I understand that seed ratio should be 1 plant per hole, how do I ensure this when I'll be employing people to do the planting for me and is it better if I get myself a planter?

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread, your questions and answers really enlightened me. Last year, I applied glyphosate herbicide immediately after planting melon, but still had to do manual weeding after about 3-4 weeks. This time I'll be doing a manual weeding at week three and second weeding with chemical at week six as @shariff84 advised.

As I look forward to answers to my numerous question, thanks and may God bless our effort this year.

Cc shariff84
Decor1234
Vonxe
don't mixed groundnut with maize.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Jonnic1(m): 1:26pm On Mar 19, 2021
You surely have great plans for your farm. Please do not plant groundnut and maize together. Plant each crop on their own in separate plots on the land.

(2) Your plant spacing is excellent. 75 cm x 25 cm.

(5). My friend, get yourself a seed planter and don't depend on labourers. They will plant with so much gap that you will not maximise the land. You can get a seed and fertilizer planter at N75k in Abuja or get the locally fabricated planter at N18k - 20k.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by EyesOnGod41: 7:29am On Mar 20, 2021
Jonnic1:
You surely have great plans for your farm. Please do not plant groundnut and maize together. Plant each crop on their own in separate plots on the land.

(5). My friend, get yourself a seed planter and don't depend on labourers. They will plant with so much gap that you will not maximise the land. You can get a seed and fertilizer planter at N75k in Abuja or get the locally fabricated planter at N18k - 20k.

Thank you. Please where in Abuja can I get both the locally fabricated one?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by bezaleeltech(m): 12:43pm On Mar 20, 2021
Jonnic1:

we have manual planter available for planting grains such as maize, groundnuts, etc.

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by luap1990(m): 3:16pm On Mar 22, 2021
bezaleeltech:
we have manual planter available for planting grains such as maize, groundnuts, etc.
How much?

Hello fella, how much do you buy a bag of pioneer maize seed? I bought mine @₦42k.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by bezaleeltech(m): 3:21am On Mar 29, 2021
luap1990:
How much?

Hello fella, how much do you buy a bag of pioneer maize seed? I bought mine @₦42k.

We sell the planter 3500 each
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by MrKong: 11:41am On Apr 09, 2021
bezaleeltech:

We sell the planter 3500 each
Can I see a clearer pic pls?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by bezaleeltech(m): 9:45am On Apr 12, 2021
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 13, 2021
Idemujoseph:
oh no! Here in Benin and warri, 1 fresh maize is 25 to 30 naira at the farm. They will come to your farm and harvest it themselves.
Multiple it by 50000 fresh maize in hectare. People from benin city should quote me wrong if I lie or exaggerate.
very true, was sold @ 3 ears for #100
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Babalotty: 9:39pm On Dec 01, 2021
Good evening House,

Greeting to all the farmers in the house, you guyz are amazing. i have really learnt a lot from this thread. But i need advice and guidance on how to go about fertilizer application. I have learnt that for an Hectare that 9 bags of NPK is ideal ( 3 bags at planting, 3 bags @ 4 wks and 2 bags of Urea @ 6 wks) but i have the following questions:

1.) Can "Seed Planter" be used in Fertilizer application when the Maize plant is six weeks old?

2.) what quantity should be applied per stand to avoid over application which might eventually harm the plant, if one is applying 3 bags of
50k NPK 15:15:15 at Planting.
3.) I have read that a beer cover can be used as a measurement guide. is this advisable?

Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by bluice25: 5:38pm On Apr 03, 2022
shariff84:
after planting we apply gramazon and atrazine powder.
At what proportion sir
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by MasterKernel: 7:37pm On Jul 04, 2022
shariff84:
thank you,pioneer its just a waste of money on seed only.I intend to plant only premier seed this year,oba 98 to be precise.

Did you finally plant as planned, kindly tell me, what's the yeild?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cheapest affordable Peanut flour Coating Machine at N70,000 / Having A Drop In Egg Production / Supply Of Snail's For Rearing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.