Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,293 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil (24255 Views)

America 5litre Castrol Edge 0w20 Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil @#23,500 / Lubex Fully Synthetic Engine Oil / Car Theft : Please Don't Buy This Car...It was Stolen This Afternoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 04, 2019
SortOut:
Apt. The worst scenario you can expect buying a tokunbo when you assumed that Full Synthetic was used prior to importation, only to damage your engine with same Full synthetic.

Chief, i can't comprehend your comment. Could you please break it down?
On my Ford Mondeo Manual, the last user in Germany used Motorcraft 5w-30 engine oil but since i couldn't get the Ford brand name (Motorcraft) at ijebu -ode , i asked Oga Nurey & Femtford on Ford explicit thread and they said I could go ahead with Mobil 1,5w-30 which i bought for 19k at ijebu to service my car last week.

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by mayorall(m): 10:30pm On Sep 04, 2019
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by pawesome(m): 10:30pm On Sep 04, 2019
ja2ken:

Popular down south..
here is mostly Mobil and total and one other German made like dt
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:30pm On Sep 04, 2019
dancok:
Uncle Gazzuzz pls my car smoke sometime when i speed up,and sometimes it wont smoke,it will just behave normal, what can cause this,? note: blue smoke ni o.

Danny baba, I swear I miss you, after what legalo de do, I just see say u be correct man.
As per that smoke level, nah engine wear.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by 3kay945(m): 10:31pm On Sep 04, 2019
Yes o na synthetic if do am
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 04, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Danny baba, I swear I miss you, after what legalo de do, I just see say u be correct man.
As per that smoke level, nah engine wear.

Wait,did u mean engine wearing out ?
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by alushkimo(m): 10:41pm On Sep 04, 2019
What if someone already made the mistake of switching to synthetic oil? Should you revert back to the 20w50?
GAZZUZZ:
If you have an abused engine with sludge and you have been running mineral oil in your engine, kindly DO not use full synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil has cleaning agents that break down sludge and keeps the engine clean, the problem is when this reaction happens to fast and the engine is really contaminated, it becomes a big problem for the pick up screen filter . It gets blocked!!! When this happens oil pressure drops and engine stops getting the right amount of lubrication . These series of events will culminate in a frozen/knocked engine if not caught on time.

One last time, if you have not been using full synthetic oil, stick with mineral oil.

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by sacx: 10:43pm On Sep 04, 2019
ja2ken:

Some say it stands for winter while some it stands for weight. .But....

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by searchng4love: 10:49pm On Sep 04, 2019
like I said b4 my post got hidden for why I don't know? I have been using this method since the time of trac...... so gazzuzz say only what you know!!

GAZZUZZ:

when you are done, the engine starts to smoke because you removed a layer of protective sludge from the pistons

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by ja2ken(m): 10:52pm On Sep 04, 2019
tongue tongue tongue[quote author=sacx post=81929554][/quote]
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by oluwaleokey: 10:58pm On Sep 04, 2019
I got a naija used car but previous owner uses 20w-50 but changes often
As directed, i opened the engine oil cover to ascertain the level of Sludge in the engine (i dont know if it works this way) however find attached the pic.

I intend to use total quartz 9000 5w-40 for some time instead of straight 5w-30 due to what has been said.
Please recommend
Cc
Gazzuz
Bigkendo

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by perryy(m): 11:02pm On Sep 04, 2019
I use Honda 5W-30 synthetic blend for my accord , hope I'm good to go? I was using Mobil 1 but switched to Honda engine oil two months ago. So far , so good though.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by dokyOloye: 11:07pm On Sep 04, 2019
muyiwaadekunle1:

On my Ford Mondeo Manual, the last user in Germany used Motorcraft 5w-30 engine oil but since i couldn't get the Ford brand name (Motorcraft) at ijebu -ode , i asked Oga Nurey & Femtford on Ford explicit thread and they said I could go ahead with Mobil 1,5w-30 which i bought for 19k at ijebu to service my car last week.
You are on d right track.

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 11:28pm On Sep 04, 2019
ja2ken:

Before you buy oil.. Check the cans synthetic products are rated 0w- to 15w- while mineral are rated 20w- to 30w- or above

In case you’re interested in learning, this is not true at all.

Oil weight is not related to the base oil. It’s what manufacturers decide to produce in popular oil weight range.

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 11:31pm On Sep 04, 2019
perryy:
I use Honda 5W-30 synthetic blend for my accord , hope I'm good to go? I was using Mobil 1 but switched to Honda engine oil two months ago. So far , so good though.

Honda makes cars, amongst other vehicles, but not oil. They simply rebrand oil that meets their specs.

To save money you can find the source direct.

I still say that you can use any of the locally available oils but you have to be fastidious with oil change intervals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by ja2ken(m): 11:33pm On Sep 04, 2019
Thanks .. although that's how ....
EgunMogaji2:

In case you’re interested in learning, this is not true at all.

Oil weight is not related to the base oil. It’s what manufacturers decide to produce in popular oil weight range.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 11:36pm On Sep 04, 2019
chloride6:

Sorry boss, new cars dont have protective sludge and dont smoke how?

A newer engine still has tight tolerance.

As the engine wears out then tolerances start appearing but gets patched by sludge.

So when you remove that sludge then “Exxon Valdez” appears.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Jbleenk: 1:30am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
If you have an abused engine with sludge and you have been running mineral oil in your engine, kindly DO not use full synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil has cleaning agents that break down sludge and keeps the engine clean, the problem is when this reaction happens to fast and the engine is really contaminated, it becomes a big problem for the pick up screen filter . It gets blocked!!! When this happens oil pressure drops and engine stops getting the right amount of lubrication . These series of events will culminate in a frozen/knocked engine if not caught on time.

One last time, if you have not been using full synthetic oil, stick with mineral oil.

But some cars are strictly built for synthetic oil. How about that?
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by radautoworks: 2:11am On Sep 05, 2019
muyiwaadekunle1:

You have no problem
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by radautoworks: 2:14am On Sep 05, 2019
perryy:

I hate Syn blend . Switch to full. More bang for your buck. Blend is the biggest oil gimmick out there

2 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by kuntash: 4:51am On Sep 05, 2019
When you use a good synthetic engine oil frequently, it can take away the sludge...

It's only when you follow those talk of one year oil change bla bla,

If u engine is still ok with its rings firm enough around the blocks, with enough torque and power for u...

Get synthetic oils replaced on it frequently, you would get a clean engine!

The reason why synthetic oils was developed is of this...

I HOPE THE OP DOESN'T DELETE THIS POST btw

2 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by ivoryhouse(m): 6:07am On Sep 05, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Honda makes cars, amongst other vehicles, but not oil. They simply rebrand oil that meets their specs.

To save money you can find the source direct.

I still say that you can use any of the locally available oils but you have to be fastidious with oil change intervals.
The locally available oil may work for much older cars but do not protect newer cars so I would recommend using much better quality synthetic oil on newer cars
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Nobody: 6:09am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
when you buy that Nigerian used car open up the valve cover, if it looks like this, Do not flush, do not use synthetic oil, just continue as your forefathers and you father's before you. 20w50 weight.

Now you are getting me scared oo. I bought a Honda Accord 2007 Model Nigerian Used for my babe and my findings revealed that the previous owner had been using 20w50 instead of the recommended 5w20. I have now switched to Fully Synthetic 5w20, are you saying I should switch back to 20w50 (Mobil XHP) or is it too late?
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Bizzyliss(m): 6:21am On Sep 05, 2019
muyiwaadekunle1:

this is not the American standard mobil 1
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Thugaa: 6:26am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

This is a very misleading post.
Switching from conventional motor oil to full synthetic motor oil is perfectly acceptable.

However, if your vehicle has a high mileage engine (e.g., engine with more than 75,000 miles) that has never used synthetic motor oil, or one that has been poorly maintained with infrequent oil changes, it is recommended to ease into extended oil change intervals to allow the full synthetic oil to clean up the engine. In these cases you should still follow the same basic oil change procedures (drain the old oil, remove the old oil filter, put in new new full synthetic oil and put on a new oil filter).

Follow your OEM’s recommended maintenance practices regarding oil changes, but you should follow more frequent (one or two non-extended drain) oil changes when first switching to synthetic oil. The reasoning behind these shortened oil change intervals is that a high mileage engine, or one that has had a lack of maintenance (including infrequent oil changes), will likely have a considerable buildup of sludge and deposits.

A full synthetic oil will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very “dirty” engine and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first several thousand miles. After that, you can be rest assured that the new full synthetic oil is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile.

3 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by dru23(m): 6:31am On Sep 05, 2019
Thugaa:

Switching from conventional motor oil to full synthetic motor oil is perfectly acceptable

However, if your vehicle has a high mileage engine (e.g., engine with more than 75,000 miles) that has never used synthetic motor oil, or one that has been poorly maintained with infrequent oil changes, it is recommended to ease into extended oil change intervals to allow the full synthetic oil to clean up the engine. In these cases you should still follow the same basic oil change procedures (drain the old oil, remove the old oil filter, put in new new full synthetic oil and put on a new oil filter).

Follow your OEM’s recommended maintenance practices regarding oil changes, but you should follow more frequent (one or two non-extended drain) oil changes when first switching to synthetic oil. The reasoning behind these shortened oil change intervals is that a high mileage engine, or one that has had a lack of maintenance (including infrequent oil changes), will likely have a considerable buildup of sludge and deposits.

A full synthetic oil will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very “dirty” engine and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first several thousand miles. After that, you can be rest assured that the new full synthetic oil is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile.

The Topic can be misleading ,until you read the whole page. Most tend to focus on the topic only . But the smart ones and patients ones will read the whole post. It is a long read sha.

A lot of car owners dont bother to read the oil cap of their engine. They go out their and just buy any grade of oil,. The most ever popular 20w50 grin and you now see them on nairaland asking for help. You see them complaining that their engine is shorten oil and their is no leaks. Buy than they want to now buy the correct grade of oil. Basically medicine after death ,which is too late. So it is only rite for them to continue using what they started with .. It is a matter of time before they will eventually either sell the car to another sucker or buy new engine. But either way something must give.

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Vivianat(f): 6:37am On Sep 05, 2019
kuntash:
When you use a good synthetic engine oil frequently, it can take away the sludge...

If u engine is still ok with its rings firm enough around the blocks, with enough torque and power for u...

Seems the OP is an admin here... The rate at which he hides contrary posts is alarming

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by COSIBI: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2019
Oga gazzuz, How about this my engine? What do you recommend? Synthetic abi make I continue Mineral?

2 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Vivianat(f): 6:40am On Sep 05, 2019
Thugaa:

Switching from conventional motor oil to full synthetic motor oil is perfectly acceptable.

I hope this post doesn't get hidden again. For saying the truth!!

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:40am On Sep 05, 2019
kuntash:

GAZZUZZ:

Read comprehend understand before posting . This is not theoretical, it is practical I fix cars for a living, I also sell full synthetic engine oil.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:41am On Sep 05, 2019
Vivianat:

I hope this post doesn't get hidden again. For saying the truth!!

legalwealth you are back in another form.

Welcome on board

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating / Picture Of A Car In A Cage / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.