Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,500 members, 7,816,191 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil (24253 Views)

America 5litre Castrol Edge 0w20 Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil @#23,500 / Lubex Fully Synthetic Engine Oil / Car Theft : Please Don't Buy This Car...It was Stolen This Afternoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:42am On Sep 05, 2019
COSIBI:
Oga gazzuz, How about this my engine? What do you recommend? Synthetic abi make I continue Mineral?

your engine has been using conventional engine oil, but no visible signs of sludge.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:46am On Sep 05, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

A newer engine still has tight tolerance.

As the engine wears out then tolerances start appearing but gets patched by sludge.

So when you remove that sludge then “Exxon Valdez” appears.

uncle I miss you.

2 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Vivianat(f): 6:48am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

legalwealth you are back in another form.

Welcome on board

Hmmmm no na Mama bomboy.. illegalwealth ni
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:48am On Sep 05, 2019
Jbleenk:

But some cars are strictly built for synthetic oil. How about that?

don't abuse them. If you do, then it's done
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:50am On Sep 05, 2019
Vivianat:

Hmmmm no na Mama bomboy.. illegalwealth ni

Ahh it's you antagonist, what happened to weyrerepy
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Vivianat(f): 6:52am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Ahh it's you antagonist, what happened to weyrerepy
Sir you must have so many enemies o.... Protagonist ni....

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 6:52am On Sep 05, 2019
radautoworks:

You have no problem

I concur.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:53am On Sep 05, 2019
Thugaa:

This is a very misleading post.
Switching from conventional motor oil to full synthetic motor oil is perfectly acceptable.

However, if your vehicle has a high mileage engine (e.g., engine with more than 75,000 miles) that has never used synthetic motor oil, or one that has been poorly maintained with infrequent oil changes, it is recommended to ease into extended oil change intervals to allow the full synthetic oil to clean up the engine. In these cases you should still follow the same basic oil change procedures (drain the old oil, remove the old oil filter, put in new new full synthetic oil and put on a new oil filter).

Follow your OEM’s recommended maintenance practices regarding oil changes, but you should follow more frequent (one or two non-extended drain) oil changes when first switching to synthetic oil. The reasoning behind these shortened oil change intervals is that a high mileage engine, or one that has had a lack of maintenance (including infrequent oil changes), will likely have a considerable buildup of sludge and deposits.

A full synthetic oil will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very “dirty” engine and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first several thousand miles. After that, you can be rest assured that the new full synthetic oil is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile.

GAZZUZZ:
If you have an abused engine with sludge and you have been running mineral oil in your engine, kindly DO not use full synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil has cleaning agents that break down sludge and keeps the engine clean, the problem is when this reaction happens to fast and the engine is really contaminated, it becomes a big problem for the pick up screen filter . It gets blocked!!! When this happens oil pressure drops and engine stops getting the right amount of lubrication . These series of events will culminate in a frozen/knocked engine if not caught on time.

One last time, if you have not been using full synthetic oil, stick with mineral oil.

Read slowly, comprehend understand before reacting .

I sell full synthetic engine oil, I am also a mechanic.
What I just posted is no a theory but what has claimed the lives of a lot of engines.

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 05, 2019
Your information is incorrect. Did you diagnose the engine fault before using synthetic oil. Sometimes you repair a problem in your car and discover another fault while doing so. Provide trusted sites or reference research to back up your claim..

I used synthetic oil for my old car for 2 years and the experience is the 8th wonder of the world- better fuel economy, better engine performance, reduced engine wear etc....

https://www.prescottimportcar.com/synthetic-oil-or-regular-oil/

5 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by diportivo: 6:53am On Sep 05, 2019
Vivianat:

I hope this post doesn't get hidden again. For saying the truth!!

batunde ishola o

omo egungun jobi grin

mr lecturer.....e kaabo sori eto grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Vivianat(f): 6:54am On Sep 05, 2019
diportivo:

batunde ishola o

omo egungun jobi grin

mr lecturer.....e kaabo sori eto grin grin
Really....?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 6:55am On Sep 05, 2019
Jbleenk:

But some cars are strictly built for synthetic oil. How about that?

If the PO has been using Dino oil then just stick with it based on how long this has been going on. Engines built with Syn oil in mind has very tight tolerances.

But you can change if you follow due process.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 6:56am On Sep 05, 2019
radautoworks:

I hate Syn blend . Switch to full. More bang for your buck. Blend is the biggest oil gimmick out there

I concur (here we go again) grin
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 6:58am On Sep 05, 2019
COSIBI:
Oga gazzuz, How about this my engine? What do you recommend? Synthetic abi make I continue Mineral?

What does your owners manual call for?
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 7:00am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

uncle I miss you.

I miss you too Baba Agbalagba.

I will storm that your shop one day. I am bored to tears here in Ibadan.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Nobody: 7:10am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

What I just posted is no a theory but what has claimed the lives of a lot of engines.

Am sure you don't know the things synthetic oil does. First, which synthetic oil are you using? Are you talking about Oando, Conoil etc synthetic oils. Synthetic oils have grades and I will not encourage anyone to use such substandard synthetic oils for their cars. These Oando and the likes import substandard oils abroad and sell. Try Mobil 1 synthetic oil or any good American version of synthetic oil to see the difference. Please note you are advised to use high mileage synthetic oil for cars with more than 75,000 miles to prevent oil leaks. I use high mileage MOBIL 1 USA synthetic oil and this takes my car to an average of 4000 to 6000 km or up to six months before I do any oil change. My mechanic also said he doesn't like synthetic oils because of some problems like you said. To be honest, you cannot compare Mobil 1 Nigeria engine oils to Mobil 1 USA engine oils. The difference is clear. ..and please make sure you are using the right viscosity grade engine oils for your car. Most mechanic use and recommend Mobil 20w 50 which most passenger cars and SUVs from 1990 to date do not recommend. Also for excessive engine sludge you are expected to reduce the engine oil change interval.

3 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Thugaa: 7:13am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

You sell full synthetic and you are a mechanic, so? My Bro thats just a phrase you kept repeating to give credence to your misguiding post. you are in no way an authority and there are many more experienced mechanics than you think you are who would never make claim of what you saying. Switching to full synthetic oil no matter how long you have been using mineral oil is perfectly acceptable, you just have to service more regularly at the beggining of the switch to allow the full synthetic oil to remove the sludge from your engine.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:25am On Sep 05, 2019
mosesmora:

Am sure you don't know the things synthetic oil does. First, which synthetic oil are you using? Are you talking about Oando, Conoil etc synthetic oils. Synthetic oils have grades and I will not encourage anyone to use such substandard synthetic oils for their cars. These Oando and the likes import substandard oils abroad and sell. Try Mobil 1 synthetic oil or any good American version of synthetic oil to see the difference. Please note you are advised to use high mileage synthetic oil for cars with more than 75,000 miles to prevent oil leaks. I use high mileage MOBIL 1 USA synthetic oil and this takes my car to an average of 4000 to 6000 km or up to six months before I do any oil change. My mechanic also said he doesn't like synthetic oils because of some problems like you said. To be honest, you cannot compare Mobil 1 Nigeria engine oils to Mobil 1 USA engine oils. The difference is clear. ..and please make sure you are using the right viscosity grade engine oils for your car. Most mechanic use and recommend Mobil 20w 50 which most passenger cars and SUVs from 1990 to date do not recommend. Also for excessive engine sludge you are expected to reduce the engine oil change interval.

GAZZUZZ:
[color=#770077]If you have an abused engine with sludge and you have been running mineral oil in your engine, kindly DO not use full synthetic oil .

Synthetic oil has cleaning agents that break down sludge and keeps the engine clean, the problem is when this reaction happens to fast and the engine is really contaminated, it becomes a big problem for the pick up screen filter . It gets blocked!!! When this happens oil pressure drops and engine stops getting the right amount of lubrication . These series of events will culminate in a frozen/knocked engine if not caught on time.

One last time, if you have not been using full synthetic oil, stick with mineral oil.

[/color]
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:25am On Sep 05, 2019
Thugaa:

You sell full synthetic and you are a mechanic, so? My Bro thats just a phrase you kept repeating to give credence to your misguiding post. you are in no way an authority and there are many more experienced mechanics than you think you are who would never make claim of what you saying. Switching to full synthetic oil no matter how long you have been using mineral oil is perfectly acceptable, you just have to service more regularly at the beggining of the switch to allow the full synthetic oil to remove the sludge from your engine.

ok

4 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Bizzyliss(m): 7:35am On Sep 05, 2019
Some pple need cane for them to understand. Smh

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by dicksonadams(m): 7:53am On Sep 05, 2019
Jesus christ of nairaland auto section, I am glad people now do research on their own. The truth is no one person is an authority on a subject matter, they can only share their experiences.

We all learn that way... Facts and experiences. Nice one gazzuzz and others. I have learn a lot from you guys

3 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 05, 2019
Bizzyliss:
this is not the American standard mobil 1

For real?
I bought it at the Mobil filling station and before servicing the car, i read about it on the internet.
Do you have a picture of the American standard?
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 05, 2019
educate our so called dealerships here, most of them use 20w50 oil to service cars made in the yr 2013 and later, i believe these cars out to use synthetic oil.

sha i use 20w50 for my 3C passat, it preserves the life of my hpfp and cam follower.

i change the oil every 3 months to save my turbocharger
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by searchng4love: 8:30am On Sep 05, 2019
EXCELLENT!!

Thugaa:

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by searchng4love: 8:32am On Sep 05, 2019
Thugaa:

This is a very misleading post.
Switching from conventional motor oil to full synthetic motor oil is perfectly acceptable.

However, if your vehicle has a high mileage engine (e.g., engine with more than 75,000 miles) that has never used synthetic motor oil, or one that has been poorly maintained with infrequent oil changes, it is recommended to ease into extended oil change intervals to allow the full synthetic oil to clean up the engine. In these cases you should still follow the same basic oil change procedures (drain the old oil, remove the old oil filter, put in new new full synthetic oil and put on a new oil filter).

Follow your OEM’s recommended maintenance practices regarding oil changes, but you should follow more frequent (one or two non-extended drain) oil changes when first switching to synthetic oil. The reasoning behind these shortened oil change intervals is that a high mileage engine, or one that has had a lack of maintenance (including infrequent oil changes), will likely have a considerable buildup of sludge and deposits.

A full synthetic oil will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very “dirty” engine and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first several thousand miles. After that, you can be rest assured that the new full synthetic oil is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile.

searchng4love:
well, I don't buy this bukum of an advice....open the cover and view the sludge...physically remove as much as possible, then diesel the engine as advised by Siena..... after a while drain the oil/diesel.... clean the pick up tube.... pour your fresh oyel.... run for about 500km-2000km.... drain again.... clean pickup tube again.... fill up with high grade oyel again and enjoy for a longer period but make sure you drain at a shorter interval and watch out for leaks..... then next oil service enjoy your dru23 oils.... cheesy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlI7YtOgcqI&t=228s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqZqjc2aNfo

I ALSO TOLD HIM. INSTEAD OF HIM TO LEARN....HE HID MY POSTS

3 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by TRYGO(m): 8:39am On Sep 05, 2019
I'd beg to differ in my response here.
But I hope my response won't be deleted afterwards as the others.

In my experiences rebuilding engines, I have seen situations where even an imported vehicle had the valve train, and engine block totally sludged out as in your photos.

There are two scenarios to this:
1. Its either the vehicle wasn't maintained holistically from the previous owner, or...
I have seen vehicles with the so-called full or any classification of synthetic fluids, that turns out to be sludged this way.

The sludging you see, is. byproducts of oxidation, and all that.

So even the synthetic, if not replaced as f she due, would sure turned sludgy as mineral oil.

2. Mineral oil was used, but the user unconsciously decided to exceed the usual OCI for that oil. Some car owners would use the conventional oil, expecting to get more MPGs from it, hence the resultant effect seen.

Purpose of any synthetic oil is FUEL ECONOMY (LOWER EMISSIONS), and ENGINE PROTECTION (this has varying opinions though from people).

Here's how I take care of such engines, when I'm rebuilding them:

Disassembled everything, inspect any components that are worn, replaced, and thoroughly wash every engine components properly using diesel, or thinner, or petrol. Do not wash the O rings pls with the solvents mentioned above.

After rebuild, use recommended Oil, whether synthetic or ....

Almost all vehicles imported here are high mileage ones. So the synthetic people buy, I would advised should be high mileage synthetic oil, and not the regular for newer vehicles. That way, there won't be complaints about oil leaks, etc.

But if the synthetic isn't working for you, switch to conventional oil, and please ensure you replaced that oil 2-3months as the case maybe.

But remember, you're sacrificing fuel economy (emissions-the environment) in this case.

Hope this helps to this discuss.

PS: The OPs warning of problems afterwards should only apply to vehicles whose internal engine components have undergone some serious for of wear and tear.

Regards,
Joseph (08066643532:call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by thebigkendo(m): 8:42am On Sep 05, 2019
The thread title should be "Warning!!! Don't buy synthetic oil if engine is heavily sludged"

That is what's causing all this back & forth with Oga lecturer

Nothing wrong in using mineral oil, as long as its the recommended oil specification and the oil is changed at manufacturer recommended interval

I switch between mineral, synthetic, Semi-Synthetic all the time,
My valve cover & oil pickup strainer are sludge free

1 Like

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Idaytesj29(m): 8:47am On Sep 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

your vehicle is not abused, you have no problems switching

@Oga Gazzuzz, I use a 2006 Peugeot 206. I had a timing belt cut incident with my engine, my mechanic worked on it and I used it for a year and a half more before it starting smoking and eventually packed up.

Now, 2 months ago, I bought another engine, Tokunbo from Ladipo with a Citroen Sticker on it. It was fixed and I used Total Quartz 7000 for it. That's the first oil. My next servicing is next month and I plan to drain that oil (Quartz 7000) and put Quartz 9000 which is full synthetic oil.

My strategy is to use that 7000 to flush the engine and the use 9000 permanently as service oil for the car.

I'm I making the right decision?

Thanks as you respond.
Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 9:36am On Sep 05, 2019
In my opinion, this is the ultimate knowledge base on oil internationally

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

But that being said, one cannot minimize the direct local experience from Nigerian shops like Gazzuzz and co.

2 Likes

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by Chelseafan1: 9:38am On Sep 05, 2019
muyiwaadekunle1:

For real?
I bought it at the Mobil filling station and before servicing the car, i read about it on the internet.

Got ds for my Benz from Gazzuzz

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by EgunMogaji2: 9:43am On Sep 05, 2019
muyiwaadekunle1:

For real?

It’s not USA but I will use that and not bat an eyelid.

Just change your oil as per normal and don’t abuse your drivetrain.

I used to use Total but now use Forte? I seek out good filters with decent anti drain valve.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning!!!! Don't Buy Synthetic Engine Oil by searchng4love: 9:43am On Sep 05, 2019
CORRECT!! HOPE THIS WILL NOT BE HIDDEN TOO!!

TRYGO:
I'd beg to differ in my response here.
But I hope my response won't be deleted afterwards as the others.

In my experiences rebuilding engines, I have seen situations where even an imported vehicle had the valve train, and engine block totally sludged out as in your photos.

There are two scenarios to this:
1. Its either the vehicle wasn't maintained holistically from the previous owner, or...
I have seen vehicles with the so-called full or any classification of synthetic fluids, that turns out to be sludged this way.

The sludging you see, is. byproducts of oxidation, and all that.

So even the synthetic, if not replaced as f she due, would sure turned sludgy as mineral oil.

2. Mineral oil was used, but the user unconsciously decided to exceed the usual OCI for that oil. Some car owners would use the conventional oil, expecting to get more MPGs from it, hence the resultant effect seen.

Purpose of any synthetic oil is FUEL ECONOMY (LOWER EMISSIONS), and ENGINE PROTECTION (this has varying opinions though from people).

Here's how I take care of such engines, when I'm rebuilding them:

Disassembled everything, inspect any components that are worn, replaced, and thoroughly wash every engine components properly using diesel, or thinner, or petrol. Do not wash the O rings pls with the solvents mentioned above.

After rebuild, use recommended Oil, whether synthetic or ....

Almost all vehicles imported here are high mileage ones. So the synthetic people buy, I would advised should be high mileage synthetic oil, and not the regular for newer vehicles. That way, there won't be complaints about oil leaks, etc.

But if the synthetic isn't working for you, switch to conventional oil, and please ensure you replaced that oil 2-3months as the case maybe.

But remember, you're sacrificing fuel economy (emissions-the environment) in this case.

Hope this helps to this discuss.

PS: The OPs warning of problems afterwards should only apply to vehicles whose internal engine components have undergone some serious for of west and tear.

Regards,
Joseph (08066643532:call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating / Picture Of A Car In A Cage / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.