Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport (9256 Views)

!!!UPDATE!!! Traveling With Expired Nigerian Passport / Traveling With Nigeria Food Stuffs / Do You Get Fingerprinted When Traveling With A Traveling Certificate Out Of Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by smile007: 8:43pm On May 16, 2007
What is ur experience with immigration when traveling with our Nigeria passport
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by ogogoro: 9:42pm On May 16, 2007
They ask all sorts of questions. Someone I know was once separated from her 1-year old son for 4 hours because he was an irish citizen and she was a Nigerian citizen.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by omega25red(m): 11:32pm On May 16, 2007
Me and my sister were in senegal and as they see our passport they said out loud in front of everyone

"oh it's nigerians we need to check them properly"

soooooo embarassing embarassed
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by Bossman(m): 11:46pm On May 16, 2007
Unfortunately a carrying Nigerian passport tends to raise a red flag. It's not considered seriously as a means of authentication, because it's known that it can be easily obtained by pretty much anyone. I only take it out if I need to. My UK and US passports pretty much cover me in most places I visit.

1 Like

Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by DisGuy: 2:44am On May 17, 2007
Watching a documentary on nta the Immigration comptroller said " Our passport commands alot of respect in international communities" cheesy
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by Nobody: 2:52am On May 17, 2007
Dis Guy:

Watching a documentary on nta the Immigration comptroller said " Our passport commands alot of respect in international communities" cheesy

He was refering to Darfur, Togo, Chad, Niger as the "international community".

1 Like

Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by ikamefa(f): 3:05am On May 17, 2007
that passport is the most useless thing on earth , to even get the thingy na wahala!

show your passport anywhere and they look at you twice , the only thing remaining is a cavity search angry

davidylan:

He was refering to Darfur, Togo, Chad, Niger as the "international community".

he! he! grin
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by peterade: 12:26pm On May 17, 2007
I prefer my green passport to any other passport in the world. If British passport or America passport is reserved for me with $100,000 I will still choose Nigeria Passport.
I will implore Nigerians to just ignore such immigration officer as long as you don’t have any skeleton in your cupboard.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by PapaBrowne(m): 1:05pm On May 17, 2007
peterade:

I prefer my green passport to any other passport in the world. If British passport or America passport is reserved for me with $100,000 I will still choose Nigeria Passport.
I will implore Nigerians to just ignore such immigration officer as long as you don’t have any skeleton in your cupboard.

You've probably never left Nigeria.Cos if you have, U wouldn't say what you just said.
[b]Fact:[/b]It is a huge embarrasment carrying a Nigerian Passport.Its getting better though.Funnily, its less problematic in major countries like UK or US, but some European countries can be very tough on our "beloved green passport".
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by wadomi: 1:09pm On May 17, 2007
I carry a Nigerian passport and travel the world over, I have never been harrased or embarrased, I guess the looks, the demeanour also counts - once I hand my passport and they have a single look, they say thanks Ma, and off I go - so next time you travel, put off the hard look and put on a smiling, business type look, stop all these nonsense about Nigerian passport bla bla bla,
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by PapaBrowne(m): 4:09pm On May 17, 2007
wa_do_mi:

I carry a Nigerian passport and travel the world over, I have never been harrased or embarrased, I guess the looks, the demeanour also counts - once I hand my passport and they have a single look, they say thanks Ma, and off I go - so next time you travel, put off the hard look and put on a smiling, business type look, stop all these nonsense about Nigerian passport bla bla bla,
U're a lady.Its a whole lot different 4 guys. The business type look might work sometimes, but if you are going on a trip to a country like Japan or say Australia, u wouldn't spend 24hours in and out of airplanes still having that business look.
The only short cut with the Nigerian passport is flying business class, you might just get a little respect .
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by ToToChoper: 4:51pm On May 17, 2007
One time i dey travel from Lagos to New York
               We con make one stop for Amsterdam
   Nahim dem tell us make we ready our boarding pass and passport
     i say the cain dog we greet me eh ( u fit tell say dis cain dog no dey chop shit at all)
           na so e dey smell everywhere for my body including my nyash

Na so i mess eh, the dog say " brotha mi , ero ra jo"
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by wadomi: 5:01pm On May 17, 2007
hmm ToToChopper - u wey never see inside of plane before?

Na wao - u don chop toto today?
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by TheOne2(m): 9:48pm On May 17, 2007
@ papabrowne

speak for yourself. Nobody harasses me when I travel. I wondey where people get all these tales from.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by bluenubian(f): 9:51pm On May 17, 2007
yes oh they have harassed me o, expecially when returning into florida here. they went as far as checking my wallet asking me who the people in the pictures were undecided

the passport is hideous and ugly for one, maybe next time, i ll put glitter on the back
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by PapaBrowne(m): 3:13am On May 18, 2007
@The One
quote author=The One link=topic=53987.msg1124204#msg1124204 date=1179434935]
@ papabrowne

speak for yourself. Nobody harasses me when I travel. I wondey where people get all these tales from.
[quote][/quote]
Yeah, I speak 4 myself and a whole lot other Nigerians that have been embarassed a couple time while travelling.
If you are well travelled and have been around pretty much, you would know that the only passports worse than the Nigerian passport are those from Arab countries like Iran, Syria, Afghanistan and a few others
Boy, that you had a smooth sail 2 Australia don't mean that its always like that.
Actually about 90% of the time I've had smooth Check -ins.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by wadomi: 12:43pm On May 18, 2007
as if it counts - u can have an American/British passport and amount to nothing in life and you can have a Nigerian passport and become one of the best in the whole wide world.

Go to the bank with your American/British passport and tell them u want to use it to collect moent because u are not a Nigerian - stupid lots.

Because you dressed like a raggedy person and the immigration suspects you, u now say it is because u carry a Nigerian passport. Shio.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by PapaBrowne(m): 1:50pm On May 18, 2007
wa_do_mi:

as if it counts - u can have an American/British passport and amount to nothing in life and you can have a Nigerian passport and become one of the best in the whole wide world.

Go to the bank with your American/British passport and tell them u want to use it to collect moent because u are not a Nigerian - stupid lots.

Because you dressed like a raggedy person and the immigration suspects you, u now say it is because u carry a Nigerian passport. Shio.
@Wa_Do_Mi
You too talk.I never dress raggedy.I dress as the situation warrants.
Anybody who wears a suit or high heels on a long haul flight because you want white folks to smile at you hasn't grown up yet.
Girl, if you're into that Business like dress style on every flight you take,then i guess u haven't stocked up enough frequent flier miles yet.

Wadomi,whats up with all that vulgarity on your other posting.I don't even believe you are a chic.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by ToToChoper: 8:03pm On May 18, 2007
Hahaha…, (leave me oh)

waka waka about nairaland, u don find me nah…
No not yet @ ur question
I’m currently speaking to this naija congo (wa_do_mi)
wey don hear am for oshare for Ajangbadi
e be like say the congo nah better congo o
But her mouf eh, chei!, as she take do mouf
wey be like say she don chop slap GBOSA!!! from dem people
she dey stammer up and down internet
i go update una soon for that one.
grin grin grin

Nah who tell u say ToToChoper never enter AEROPLANE?
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by dejia(m): 8:36pm On May 18, 2007
I was delayed for 6hours on my 1st trip to china, was taking for x-ray at there medical hosiptal.

on my second trip i was delayed as well, infact i had to spark for them, it was just so frustrating communicating to pple who dont understand English, but i dealt with them. i forced them to take me to city which i was going to cos i cldnt catch a bus by the time they finished all there yeye search.infact, they even took me for dinner,

infact i have never had a good experience with my passport, i even bought a black cover to cover the green pali, yet immediately they open it and see Nigeria, its like " OOOOOOOllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeee! ( lol)

i have vowed not to nationalise anyway else, i beleive One day One day, V.soon, Nigeria passport will be honoured.

Fellow nairalanders, lets keep using the green pali, atleast let them continue to meet us ( we the good Nigerians). one they will all realise we are not all drugger dealers & smugglers

1 Like

Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by Ezinwannem: 11:42pm On May 18, 2007
:p
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by Nobody: 12:10am On May 19, 2007
Ezinwannem:

havent exprienced anything because i don't have a naija passport

in a bid to show off many of us end up proving that logical reasoning is not the forte of all and sundry. The topic clearly asks for experiences when travelling with a NIGERIAN passport.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by Ezinwannem: 12:12am On May 19, 2007
Mr, I know it and i said that cuz i know sum1 like u will comment, ahahhaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by naijaway(m): 6:53am On May 19, 2007
Once naija gets to a level of solid respect u will be called sir and ma at most airports and for those african countries doing all that they just wish they had the same passport and also anyone that says our passport is ugly should look at themselves first before uttering that word on a symbol of prosperity and peace(the green passport). Passports are based on respect and not on looks.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by donjohano(m): 7:49pm On May 19, 2007
Bluenubian, Wa-do-mi, what's your problem?
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by mazaje(m): 9:45pm On May 19, 2007
I remember when i and some friends of mine( about 5 of us) presented our Nigerian passport to the immigration officer in Instanbul the guy looked at every one of us closely  and raised alarm  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy it was so funny that i had to laugh instantly at the immigration officer's action, they came  and asked us some  very silly questions and left us at the end, the second time was in heathrow airport when i and a friend had to undergo a series of test before we were allowed to pass, its very funny but thats whats happening to so many of us nigerians when we present our green kwali.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by donjohano(m): 10:11pm On May 19, 2007
Don't be downhearted. I used my UK/EU passport from Lagos via either Frankfurt or Munich (I can't remember) to Istanbul. Business trip on behalf of my multinational employers. In Germany, I was stopped, the palm of my hand raked (a kind of comb utensil) which apparently checks for drugs possession. They checked my luggage (they told me they would do this)

I asked why (I'm a lawyer) and gathered that Nigeria to Turkey is a very suspicious route. Meanwhile, my Nigerian passport-holding brethren went straight through, probably because they were either disembarking in Germany or were proceeding to less suspicious destinations than Turkey. This hapened last November. It was the ONLY time I had problems travelling with my UK passport. But it was due to my race, and more importantly, my starting and destination points - Nigeria-Turkey.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by donjohano(m): 10:21pm On May 19, 2007
Further to my last post - the point is, its the Nigerian element that screws us. Visit the Nigerian embassy in Northumberland Avenue, near Trafalgar Square, London. You've never seen so many Nigerians in your life - time has passed. So many of us were born, grew up, married, there. The UK/EU passport is a great help - no real problems getting around the world unless you have Nigeria as a starting/destination point and the other end is also dodgy, as in my trip to Turkey via Germany.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by watchung: 10:34pm On May 19, 2007
Ah! bluenubian is cute sha, wa_do_mi u sef fine, in short both of una fine welle. Which one wan wey be sey una dey abuse unaself now? Na wa oh!
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by donjohano(m): 11:38pm On May 19, 2007
watchung - maybe bluenubian and wa-do-mi are attracted to each other - hence the hostility. Watch this space.
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by NymphoQin(f): 2:01am On May 20, 2007
@topic
never had a bad experience
Re: Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport by dblock(m): 5:55am On May 20, 2007
@ Topic, I've experienced no scrutinies. The passport has served me well wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Direction To Ikoyi From Ojota Or Computer Village, Ikeja / All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! / Start Up Business For Canadian Immigrants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.