Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience (15848 Views)

Successful Nigeria Immigration Service Applicants: Share Your Experience / FIRS To Recruit 7,500 Graduates And 5,000 Non-Graduates / Top 8 Jobs With High Employment Chances For Fresh Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by Habidab: 8:00am On Sep 05, 2019
chrisifeanyi:
Finished service 2014, couldn't go back home. What will I be doing at home? Mama will be expecting something from me. I stayed back, rented small apartment and started teaching in a private secondary school. The school owed salary like witch. I opened tutorial center and started taking students on Waec and Jamb lessons. The centre was growing. I saved some money and added business too. I will go to Onitsha and buy good wears and resell. I was doing it and was really making some cash. It wasn't easy. Then the business grew to a big boutique. I enrol for my Masters and as God may have it, I found favour in someone and I recently got employed as a lecturer in a federal institution.
Just expecting my first salary.
This is my first good job since 2014 I finished service.
Don't give up. Let me also tell u that at some point in life I felt frustrated. Friends started avoiding my calls. I was alone. Only my girlfriend stood by me. Sometimes weekends I won't have even 500 naira. I will call her and she will send me 4k to use it and cook good food at least. She will be my wife soonest.
Don't give up. Don't. Is not easy in Nigeria. And if you are opportune, don't see others as if they are lazy. Nobody knows tomorrow.
"Behind a successful Man, there is always a successful woman" God give me a supportive woman like this

1 Like

Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by CaptainMitch: 8:12am On Sep 05, 2019
Yeah, the world is really a small place.
Cindy222:
Yea Solex abi na Solace. He is from Benue State too. Its him. He studied law in gwags.
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by MrHistorian: 8:23am On Sep 05, 2019
ccffwx:
There's evidence to all of this:

I burnt the midnight candle, worked hard and sweated to make a good grade at the university. I graduated with a First Class degree and as best graduating student. I was never given any prize nor rewarded. I tried to partake of the Graduate Assistantship, but was always denied though my total GP was above 4.8. I was constantly attacked and passed through so much.

I still began a Master's programme which I struggled to fund. I used to give motivational talks having published my first book. I scrounged to eke a living in order to finish my programme and I did.

Now, my passion for education led me to teach in schools as I keep working towards my goal of joining the academia. I want my brain to be tapped judiciously.
What is your discipline?
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by Judee99(m): 8:30am On Sep 05, 2019
chrisifeanyi:
Wife that Wonderful Lady bro
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by jansonn(m): 8:34am On Sep 05, 2019
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by DateMynd44(m): 8:38am On Sep 05, 2019
Fountainofyouth:
Never hustled, things were easy for me, thank God.
small girl big god things
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by Agp19(m): 10:04am On Sep 05, 2019
iknowexperts:

True.

And when a wise undergraduate sees this very great thread he'd know it will be sensible to start earning income while still in school. No matter how small.

Makes life easier afterwards
the biggest mistake of my life...i will advice anybody to start hustle as early as possible in life.
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by truvine(m): 11:21am On Sep 05, 2019
Fountainofyouth:
Never hustled, things were easy for me, thank God.
Me I hustle ooo, and things ain't easy for me.
Should I send my account number.
Help a brother from the abundant ease
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by Fidelismaria: 11:37am On Sep 05, 2019
Nobody wants to die

Yet nothing to live for

How pathetic
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by adejaresalami1(m): 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2019
My hustle started even before I could finish my HND(electrical). I did a lot of tedious hustle

Labourer for bricklayer grin
Machine operator
Journeyman electrician

E no easy men. Man must chop

Check my signature

2 Likes

Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by NACE13: 12:37pm On Sep 05, 2019
Interesting topic I must say. Too bad I just came across this now.

Well, right from my childhood, I started hustling, indeed I am the son of my father who also started hustling right from his days in junior secondary school. I started looking for a job the same week I finished my Waec/Neck exams. I worked for about 3 years before my dad put a stop to it and made me instead focus my mind on school. I did as ordered and first got admission into a polytechnic but I didn't want a polytechnic, neither did my parents, so after three years I transferred to a federal university. I spent (probably wasted 7 years in school). I said wasted because all what I learnt academically came from YouTube video tutorials, nothing meaningful came from school except social life exposure and few business opportunities plus the frustration from lecturers that won't give you your deserved score unless your 'sort' them. It made me believe not every 2-1 or 2-2 graduate really deserved it.

While waiting for service, I was staying with a relation living in the neighbouring state of my school. I was doing little jobs like house painting, graphics design (I am quite good with Photoshop, again thanks to YouTube and good vision for designs and colours), I also did few programming assignment/projects( also learnt web designs and programming on YouTube) and typing projects for students.

My relation told me to help her get a good power bank, so I contacted my brother who
has a shop at Alaba in Lagos, he sent me few second hand power banks that were imported from Malaysia/Indonesia, I also buy online. I would do a little magic and construct a very good 15000mAh power bank(not all these fake ones we see everywhere). She could charge her phone up to 3-4 times before the power bank goes low. She was so happy she told me to get more for her colleagues and her husband. Each second hand power bank cost N500, but I charged 5-7k for each making more than 200% profit. My cousin spread the news and also I used WhatsApp app to advertise and that was how I started selling power banks, memory cards from my room. Mind you, some power banks were totally faulty from battery to the PCB , so that counts as a loss. Some had only bad boards, so I'll mix about six originally batteries with a good PCB and it with will give 15600mAh for real, but it was a gamble I didn't mind. Then I delved a little into printing to add to my little power bank hustle. I print/customize Tshirts and football jerseys. I am about to go for service so I'm a little bit of dilemma right now.

It is not easy at all to survive in Nigeria. I remember when business wasn't really moving, my sister just gave me 10k, I used it all to buy memory cards from eBay and sold them. My parents are quite comfortable, they can always provide for me but right from childhood, I like being on my own, I don't like depending on people.
Though I don't have a shop to display my goods for better patronizing but as soon as I am done with service, I'll face my business (Web development, painting. power bank and memory card mini-importation and shirt printing) full time. Yup, I am jack of all trade......kinda.

Blessings to all those legitimate hustlers out there, may your river never run dry and for those shady hustlers out there, please turn around, it's never too late and earn legitimately. it may be slow but at least it will be worthwhile in the end.

I sell original second-hand power banks and customize clothes as well

5 Likes

Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by ginovera: 3:54pm On Sep 05, 2019
NACE13:

Well, right from my childhood, I started hustling, indeed I am the son of my father who also started hustling right from his days in junior secondary school. I started looking for a job the same week I finished my Waec/Neck exams. I worked for about 3 years before my dad put a stop to it and made me instead focus my mind on school. I did as ordered and first got admission into a polytechnic but I didn't want a polytechnic, neither did my parents, so after three years I transferred to a federal university. I spent (probably wasted 7 years in school). I said wasted because all what I learnt academically came from YouTube video tutorials, nothing meaningful came from school except social life exposure and few business opportunities plus the frustration from lecturers that won't give you your deserved score unless your 'sort' them. It made me believe not every 2-1 or 2-2 graduate really deserved it.

While waiting for service, I was staying with a relation living in the neighbouring state of my school. I was doing little jobs like house painting, graphics design (I am quite good with Photoshop, again thanks to YouTube and good vision for designs and colours), I also did few programming assignment/projects( also learnt web designs and programming on YouTube) and typing projects for students.

My relation told me to help her get a good power bank, so I contacted my brother who
has a shop at Alaba in Lagos, he sent me few second hand power banks that were imported from Malaysia/Indonesia, I also buy online. I would do a little magic and construct a very good 15000mAh power bank(not all these fake ones we see everywhere). She could charge her phone up to 3-4 times before the power bank goes low. She was so happy she told me to get more for her colleagues and her husband. Each second hand power bank cost N500, but I charged 5-7k for each making more than 200% profit. My cousin spread the news and also I used WhatsApp app to advertise and that was how I started selling power banks, memory cards from my room. Mind you, some power banks were totally faulty from battery to the PCB , so that counts as a loss. Some had only bad boards, so I'll mix about six originally batteries with a good PCB and it with will give 15600mAh for real, but it was a gamble I didn't mind. Then I delved a little into printing to add to my little power bank hustle. I print/customize Tshirts and football jerseys. I am about to go for service so I'm a little bit of dilemma right now.

It is not easy at all to survive in Nigeria. I remember when business wasn't really moving, my sister just gave me 10k, I used it all to buy memory cards from eBay and sold them. My parents are quite comfortable, they can always provide for me but right from childhood, I like being on my own, I don't like depending on people.
Though I don't have a shop to display my goods for better patronizing but as soon as I am done with service, I'll face my business (Web development, painting. power bank and memory card mini-importation and shirt printing) full time. Yup, I am jack of all trade......kinda.

Blessings to all those legitimate hustlers out there, may your river never run dry and for those shady hustlers out there, please turn around, it's never too late and earn legitimately. it may be slow but at least it will be worthwhile in the end.

God Bless your hustle man! Just stay focused and believe me we shall one day share in your success story.
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by NACE13: 4:44pm On Sep 05, 2019
ginovera:

God Bless your hustle man! Just stay focused and believe me we shall one day share in your success story.

Thank you bro. We don't have any option than to succeed. That's the anthem I sing to myself everyday. Bless *pray hands*
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by ccffwx: 6:14pm On Sep 05, 2019
MrHistorian:
What is your discipline?
English Language and Literature
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by Designer123: 6:21pm On Sep 05, 2019
NACE13:

Inspiring. Please can you explain how you market your goods (powerbank etc)? Also, are skin care products importation feasible in Nigeria?
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by NACE13: 10:09pm On Sep 05, 2019
Designer123:

Inspiring. Please can you explain how you market your goods (powerbank etc)? Also, are skin care products importation feasible in Nigeria?

I use WhatsApp status to advertise and update my products, also I have various school's market group chat where I advertise my goods and services. Interested buyers hit me up and we conclude on price and where to meet.
For the power bank assembling, you need to have a little electrical/electronic and soldering skill. Like I said before, I would gather a lot of them and start testing the battery and charging board. The good ones will be packaged and then advertised with guarantee, since I carried out the tests myself. Other power banks state a certain capacity but you'll discover they are mostly lies and can't even charge a phone up to 80%. So I give my buyers full guarantee on what they are buying and when they find out how good and strong the power bank is, they tell their friends or family, their friends will contact me and order as well. The image is the one I'm am still testing to package for a customer I'll be meeting tomorrow. it's about 9000- 10000mAh i'm selling for N5000

Concerning the skin care products, I have to be honest, I don't have the slightest idea about that branch of business. It's mostly the females who engage in skin care products. You can do well to ask a few of them here on this thread.

Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by chrisseun(m): 7:17am On Sep 06, 2019
NACE13:

Can you put me through the shirt printing biz, I'm trying to develop my own brand. WhatsApp me pls: +2348124742014
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by NACE13: 10:24am On Sep 06, 2019
chrisseun:

Can you put me through the shirt printing biz, I'm trying to develop my own brand. WhatsApp me pls: +2348124742014

Bro, it's less than 3 months I started T-shirt printing, so I have not yet gained mastery of it fully but I'll suggest you visit YouTube. Just type in these key words "How to start screen printing by Kenyonken" or "How to start screen printing by Easy". They give a walkthrough on how to start screen printing business on a budget. That's how I started mine as well.

I used about 4k to start, then I took some old clothes of mines, customized my name and that of other people for free at first, then started advertising them on WhatsApp status and other group chats. I gave good discount since I just started, I was customizing football jerseys and Tshirts for just N1200-1500 depending on the individual but some church or group can suggest you print up to 100 or more for an event. Then I charge about N300 for each shirt.

Before you start advertising, make sure you must have done some practice. To be honest, I ruined my first shirt(thank heavens it's an old shirt of mine). Then I started using A4 paper to test run before I start any work
Just go on YouTube, you'll learn a lot

If you are not entirely sure, just go to any screen printing shop and tell them you'd like to learn how to screen print. it won't cost you much but if you don't have money to put aside for learning I'd suggest you use YouTube as your guide just like I did.
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by chrisseun(m): 5:12pm On Sep 08, 2019
NACE13:

Bro, it's less than 3 months I started T-shirt printing, so I have not yet gained mastery of it fully but I'll suggest you visit YouTube. Just type in these key words "How to start screen printing by Kenyonken" or "How to start screen printing by Easy". They give a walkthrough on how to start screen printing business on a budget. That's how I started mine as well.

I used about 4k to start, then I took some old clothes of mines, customized my name and that of other people for free at first, then started advertising them on WhatsApp status and other group chats. I gave good discount since I just started, I was customizing football jerseys and Tshirts for just N1200-1500 depending on the individual but some church or group can suggest you print up to 100 or more for an event. Then I charge about N300 for each shirt.

Before you start advertising, make sure you must have done some practice. To be honest, I ruined my first shirt(thank heavens it's an old shirt of mine). Then I started using A4 paper to test run before I start any work
Just go on YouTube, you'll learn a lot

If you are not entirely sure, just go to any screen printing shop and tell them you'd like to learn how to screen print. it won't cost you much but if you don't have money to put aside for learning I'd suggest you use YouTube as your guide just like I did.

4k to start? Didn't you buy any printing machine and other materials?
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by NACE13: 4:02am On Sep 09, 2019
chrisseun:

4k to start? Didn't you buy any printing machine and other materials?

Printing machine? Lol

No,bro, I just started with basic but important things like screen printing frame, ink(black & white), squeegee,emulsion and sensitizer, all cost me about 3800. And as the business grows, we'll start investing in bigger machines like heat press machine and standard screen printing press
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by exco90(m): 8:57am On Sep 09, 2019
anybody with idea on candle production?.. aside from my coaching buisness.. am planning to take the advantage that 70% of christians here attends white garment church.

please I need idea on how to produce it.. where and how to get the materials for production
Re: Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience by Triniti(m): 10:41pm On Sep 10, 2019
nwanneni:
yeah.that's why I have owned a lot of them wink
Bro, please can you drop me your email in one of these old threads?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Overhaul And Relaunch Npower - Dr Betta Edu / Academic Staff Recruitment At Chrisland University (many Positions) / How To Apply For FBN Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.