Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,121 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter (9753 Views)

Does Catalytic Converter Actually Reduces Fuel Consumption? / 4 Typical Signs Of A Broken PCV Valve Hose / 4 Typical Signs Of A Failing Radiator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by taurusdude0(m): 3:00pm On Sep 06, 2019
ogmask:

I did a small research on this and discovered that its main function is emission control. It really doesn't affect consumption persay. Our local mechanic see it as consumption regulator rather than emission control device.
it affects ur engine and it's fuel consumption
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by DecrossCFR(m): 3:16pm On Sep 06, 2019
I think mine is faulty. The fuel consumption is unusual on the high side and it rattles when i start it. Pls how much will a new one cost for a 2001 Camry model?
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by Provie(m): 3:27pm On Sep 06, 2019
erico2k2:

Not true though, these can be deleted and some cars have more than others, these cat converters are put in there cos of govt regulation to cut emissions not for car efficiency!

You are right. As a matter of fact it increases fuel consumption by increase in drag. The car runs faster without it, just dat the exhaust is noisier (sounds less muffled). The essence is just emission control. So in Nigeria where emissions and pollutants are everywhere, dat is non issue. In some countries, it's a crime to drive a car without cat, cos of emissions.

1 Like

Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by ogmask: 4:03pm On Sep 06, 2019
3kay945:

Can you say this for all vehicles? Cos from what I learned, some vehicles sound will change when such thing is removed.

True. Sound do change.
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by ogmask: 4:05pm On Sep 06, 2019
taurusdude0:
it affects ur engine and it's fuel consumption

Ok, never knew. Can u explain how it affects the engine and fuel usage ?
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by DecrossCFR(m): 6:27pm On Sep 06, 2019
DecrossCFR:
I think mine is faulty. The fuel consumption is unusual on the high side and it rattles when i start it. Pls how much will a new one cost for a 2001 Camry model?
Cc: Taurusdude0
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by Bjornson01(m): 7:18pm On Sep 06, 2019
ogmask:
They call it indomie in our mechanic workshops. Mine was removed and I noticed the change in sound and confronted them but the guy bolted. I can safely say more than 50% of cars that have passed thru our local mechanic workshops have had their indomie removed and sold to some ready buyers.
the same thing was done to my dad's Mercedes W124 with the m111 engine. The kazeem told him "oga we go comot the indomie for salansa and the thermostat make the car no dey overheating" cry
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by spawnx: 7:19pm On Sep 06, 2019
Removing the catalyst increases the turbo of the car but can also lead to high fuel consumption because the o2 sensor will be giving wrong readings to the on- board cpu thereby fuel air ratio will be off.

This can be corrected by deceiving the 02 sensors by adding Spacers/adaptor /extender.

1 Like

Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by franchuks(m): 7:42pm On Sep 06, 2019
ogmask:

I did a small research on this and discovered that its main function is emission control. It really doesn't affect consumption persay. Our local mechanic see it as consumption regulator rather than emission control device.

Very well said. I share in your opinion too after my exhaustive research. It seems mine was removed as well.
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by Hoodbilonia: 8:36pm On Sep 06, 2019
E go drink fuel like mad
Esp if the 02 sensor is faulty
Alongside faulty coolant sensor
U go dey drive 4 plugs
Buh e dey drink v12 fuel
Buy new one or uk used or better follow come
Always use scanner after installation
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by DecrossCFR(m): 10:04pm On Sep 06, 2019
Hoodbilonia:
E go drink fuel like mad
Esp if the 02 sensor is faulty
Alongside faulty coolant sensor
U go dey drive 4 plugs
Buh e dey drink v12 fuel
Buy new one or uk used or better follow come
Always use scanner after installation
How much does a new one costs
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by Hoodbilonia: 11:14pm On Sep 06, 2019
Brand new..85k
Used tokunbo .35k
Follow come 20k
DecrossCFR:

Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by Godspower35(m): 9:29am On Sep 07, 2019
DecrossCFR:

Please contact Eliancars directly,you can get our contact from the website
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by tck2000(m): 10:43am On Sep 07, 2019
Nwaohafia1:
Most cars imported into Nigeria do not come with catalytic converter.
true
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 5:22pm On Sep 07, 2019
spawnx:
Removing the catalyst increases the turbo of the car but can also lead to high fuel consumption because the o2 sensor will be giving wrong readings to the on- board cpu thereby fuel air ratio will be off.

This can be corrected by deceiving the 02 sensors by adding Spacers/adaptor /extender.
There is a way to fool the O2 sensor to give an accurate reading or with a good scanner, you can calibrate it to do so!
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 5:23pm On Sep 07, 2019
Nwaohafia1:
Most cars imported into Nigeria do not come with catalytic converter.
Says who?
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by Nwaohafia1: 5:29pm On Sep 07, 2019
erico2k2:

Says who?

It's usually stolen at the wharf by Nigerians.
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 5:32pm On Sep 07, 2019
Nwaohafia1:

It's usually stolen at the wharf by Nigerians.
Not really, it is stollen by your clearing agent.
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by taurusdude0(m): 4:19pm On Sep 08, 2019
DecrossCFR:

Cc: Taurusdude0
somewhere from 25k to 50k if u are lucky and ur Camrys CC is not the same with newer models.
Re: 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter by taurusdude0(m): 4:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
ogmask:

Ok, never knew. Can u explain how it affects the engine and fuel usage ?
if it's faulty or clogged it affects the engine

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? / New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? / Toyota 4runner 2007(1GR-FE) Fix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.