Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,664 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You (36760 Views)

Don't Let Anyone Lick Your Private, It's Demonic - Rev. Bernard Achiuior / The Bible Does Not Blame Women For Prostitution And Jezebel But Evil Men / Don't Let Anyone Lie To You That Christmas Is A Pagan Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Kendumazy(m): 8:25am On Sep 08, 2019
OK
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Homeboiy: 8:26am On Sep 08, 2019
nonsense

come and hold me nah if I drink

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Truefaith: 8:26am On Sep 08, 2019
Check this issue up with your Bible OPEN at

www.thetruechristianfaith.com
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 8:26am On Sep 08, 2019
silverlord:

me think you should help us with the dictionary interpretation of "drunk" , since you've obviously studied English.

Do you know you can be drunk of water?

I don't need to help you with a dictionary. Google is there for you.
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Adeniyii2017: 8:26am On Sep 08, 2019
The Bible doesn’t speak against it either.. just says in moderation.
Invest in your future while you can.
Get all the Materials you need for Data Science, Web Development and Software Development 68.5GB.
See thread by clicking on my moniker to get a brief overview.

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by netflicks(m): 8:27am On Sep 08, 2019
Some will even justify by saying he turned water into wine so we must shayo! sad angry
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by helinues: 8:27am On Sep 08, 2019
And why did Jesus Turned water to wine?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by nwamabo247(m): 8:28am On Sep 08, 2019
THe bible is only against drunkness and not alcohol

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by TVSA: 8:28am On Sep 08, 2019
itsMrIke:
OP will you keep quiet already.

After quoting Deuteronomy 14:26, you are still writing the thrash up there. So the phrase "whatsoever your soul lust after.." means what then. Then to quote context, you are bringing and entirely different book from the bible?

Such brazen display of wanton ignorance and foolery.

I am sure you will say communion wine is grape juice, yet you will ignore the part where Paul admonished the early Christians who get drunk on communion wine while others were yet to partake.

Go read your bible to understand and stop being clever by half.
He'll come and tell you Paul wasn't talking about communion grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by netflicks(m): 8:29am On Sep 08, 2019
But op wait oo who test the wine if na fruit wine or Alcohol?

10 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by SavageMajor(m): 8:29am On Sep 08, 2019
Dude, the bible isn't against drinking!
The bible is against cry getting drunk, get your facts right before trying to sway people in an online forum
sad sad

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by mekuxiani(m): 8:29am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Hello,

There's this wrong believe among Christians that the Bible supports drinking alcohol but only in moderation. They say we can drink alcohol but we shouldn't get drunk. Well, I will be using Bible verses to show that Christians are not to look at alcohol not to talk of drinking it. Also, this thread will debunk common lies told to support drinking alcohol e.g Jesus turning water to wine.

The word wine is mentioned 231 times in the Bible. But the mistake we make today is that we think the wine mentioned is just alcholic wine. Half the time wine is mentioned in the Bible, it is about fruit juice.

In the Greek and Hebrew languages in which the Bible was written in, the word translated as wine was used to refer to alcohol and also fruit juice. So when those who translated the Bible into English did so, they had to look for an English word which could mean alcoholic beverage and fruit juice. That word is wine. You might wonder why the translators didn't make things easy for us by just writing fruit juice when the verse is talking of fruit juice and write alcoholic beverage when it's about alcohol. The thing is, doing such would mean they are injecting their own idea into the Bible.

Now, in modern times, we have this believe that wine means an alcoholic drinks. That's why we think the word wine in the Bible is always referring to alcohol. Let's me show you that wine in the Bible doesn't always mean alcoholic beverage but fruit juice.

As seen above, wine is found in the cluster i.e wine still in the cluster of grapes. This is purely fruit juice and not alcoholic.

However, grapes usually have a white powdery film around it called yeast. It is that yeast that is made use of to make alcoholic wine. They crush the grapes and in the process the yeast mixed with the fruit juice that was inside grape cluster. Next fermentation takes place then the result if alcoholic wine. Most times, wine makers add more yeast to attain the desired alcohol level. So you see, wine moved from normal fruit juice before it became alcoholic wine after yeast was added.

Now, there are two types of wine as explained above: The alcoholic and fruit juice. There's a certain type of wine the Bible said we shouldn't even look at, not to talk of touching our lips with it. Read the passage below.

The verse above is talking about alcoholic wine. It even describes fermentation process. It says we shouldn't even look at that type of wine. Yet some folks say we can drink it in moderation.

It describes the feeling one gets after drinking alcohol. It's a horrible feeling.

Have you ever had alcohol such that after taking it, women whom you would never touch with a ten foot poll suddenly start looking attractive to you? The above verse describes it as the effect of alcohol. It also describes how you start saying all sorts of junks which you would not normal say.

Remember when you lie down after taking alcohol and the whole bed seems like you are swimming, and also you feel like you are floating and your eyes being dizzy. That's the feeling described.

After the whole horrible night and you wake up to hangover, what's the cure drunkards usual prescribe? They say to cure hangover, start drinking again. That's what the above passage described.

Yet, some people say we can drink alcohol in moderation and that it only becomes a sin when we get drunk. Sorry buddy, the Bible says don't even look at it.

The Bible doesn't say we should drink alcohol in moderation. It says we should be sober at all times (1 Thessalonians 5:6 Titus 2:3).

Now let's see the common verses people love to twist to try to say we can drink alcohol

The first is found in the passage where Jesus turned water into wine. They fail to realize that it was fruit juice kind of wine, not the alcoholic or fermented one. Let's examine the passage carefully.

According to some people, it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into and gave the people at the wedding to drink. However, a closer look shows that not to be the case.

Pay close attention to verse 10 where the Bible says when men have well drunk. Let's see how the New International Version (NIV) renders that verse.

If it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into, then it basically means he wanted to destroy the guests at the wedding. After they have had too much to drink, Jesus decided to give them more. That means if there were cars back then, many would have accidentally on their way home. Remember the passage in Proverbs 23 which talks about the horrible effects alcohol. If we say these people were already drunk on alcohol, then Jesus just helped them double those effect in their life by giving them more. This means they would start to behold strange women and say perverse things. Now, tell me, who would want to listen to Jesus preach the next morning after the "alcoholic wine" he gave them to drink made some of the men to sleep with their housemaid to the anger of their wives? Made them to saw perverse things to their boss? Made them to sleep in the gutter? Yet you say Jesus gave people alcohol to drink.

Jesus didn't give anybody alcohol to drink. Doing so would mean he's a liar. Remember what he said in the passage below.

If it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into at the wedding in Cana, then he abolished the law and the prophet which spoke against alcoholic wine in Proverbs 23:31. So clearly it wasn't alcoholic wine he turned water into but fruit juice.

Another passage people love to use for an excuse to drink alcohol is seen below.

Mathew 11:18-19
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.
19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

The above passage talks about a false accusations against Jesus who pointed out how they also falsely accused John the Baptist. Yet, some people will say because Jesus was accused of being a drunkard then it means he use to drink alcohol. Was John the Baptist possessed with a devil? No, but he was accused of such. I now wonder why you believe Jesus drank alcohol due to some false accusations. Remember, the accusation is that he was a drunkard. So if you use this verse to justify drinking alcohol, then don't get angry when some tells you that Jesus use to fall into gutter after getting drunk; he use to behold strange women and say perverse things. Can you see how wrong they are with their interpretation of the passage?

Another verse they use is seen below.

They pick the verse out context and say God is telling us that we can buy alcohol and drink it. If you read the previous verses, you will see that the context is about tithing. Those items listed alongside strong drink are to be brought to the temple for sacrifice to God. Some are eating, but it excludes the strong drink because nowhere in the above passage does it say drink the strong drink, same way it doesn't say drink the oil. Now, see what the strong drink is used for.

The strong drink or wine is poured out onto the Lord for a drink offering. It is not to be drank at all. But people have twisted the verse in Deutoronomy 14:26 to mean God is saying we can drink alcohol even when he said in Proverbs 23 that we shouldn't even look at it.

Guys, drinking alcohol is a sin and every Christian should abstain from it. Don't let anybody fool you into think moderation is the key. A little sip sends your good sense of judgment out the window. That's when another glass or bottle won't seem like a bad idea. And note, wine has tripple alcohol content that four bottles of beer. So don't think drinking a glass of wine is sophisticated. You are emore alcoholic than the beer drinker.

your writing rubbish

14 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by mozona(m): 8:29am On Sep 08, 2019
I don't even know what to say
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by zeedof(m): 8:29am On Sep 08, 2019
Thank God I don't take red wine.. I only took Smirnoff

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gbefun40(m): 8:30am On Sep 08, 2019
The Bible doesn't support eating food when hungry.please let understand our religion very well not what our pastors tell us.be guided
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by martineverest(m): 8:30am On Sep 08, 2019
stop fooling yourself

alcohol is good and there is nothing wrong in it unless u get intoxicated... remember that pope ratzinger always attend German beer festival and dine with them

mind u,I don't take alcohol

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by echibuogwu(m): 8:30am On Sep 08, 2019
I laff in Spanish,,, OP So na fruit juice make Noah high

19 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by mrvitalis(m): 8:31am On Sep 08, 2019
Chosen1984:
THE TRUTH IS BITTER BECAUSE IT HURTS.
Op, By the Spirit of GOD , you Have Dished out the Truth .. It will Hurt Many of Us but it is The Truth..

GOD BLESS U
Have u read the bible from start to finish ? Before i start to dish out facts for u
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by tete7000(m): 8:31am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Hello,

And you have never read in your Bible that nothing that enters a man makes him unclean. Maybe you know more than Jesus Christ himself.

Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them.”
Mark 7:14‭-‬15 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/111/mrk.7.14-15.NIV

Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
Matthew 15:10‭-‬11 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/111/mat.15.10-11.NIV

Bible doesn't condemn alcohol. Stop spreading falsehood and confusion. Bible condemns drunkenness, orgy, gluttony, etc.

13 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by fabre4: 8:32am On Sep 08, 2019
Chosen1984:
THE TRUTH IS BITTER BECAUSE IT HURTS.
Op, By the Spirit of GOD , you Have Dished out the Truth .. It will Hurt Many of Us but it is The Truth..

GOD BLESS U

Is it a sin OP
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Kryto: 8:32am On Sep 08, 2019
OK, that's really good to know. So what about weed? Since it was never mentioned in the Bible also considering the fact it's natural, devil didn't create it. As a Christian weed is allowed na. Abi?

18 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by OKOATA(m): 8:33am On Sep 08, 2019
If God doesn't support alcohol then who created alcohol, it's like saying don't smoke weed, who created the weed? Satan

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Lexusgs430: 8:33am On Sep 08, 2019
But some people drank wine and started speaking in different tongues (drunks do the same)...........
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 08, 2019
Alcohol is good but you spend money on it for you to get high. But you don't need money to buy holy spirit for you to get high by the most High God.

5 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by afroxyz: 8:34am On Sep 08, 2019
the wine mentioned in the bible was fruit juice?

so they were serving fruit juice at the wedding that Jesus went to

and when Jesus said you cant put new wine in old bottles it was fruit juice he was referring to?

it is fruit juice that would burst the bottle?

you just know how to quote scriptures with no sense to understand it.

stop twisting the bible to suit your personal convictions

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by mrvitalis(m): 8:34am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

So because Jews drink alcohol today, we are now to disobey the word of God? And who told you Jews I've God today?

So because there was no refrigerator back then, it now means they didn't see the need to invent fruit juice? Look, refrigerator was invented because people saw the need to preserve things, fruit juice being one of them. Mind you, if you had read the OP, you would have seen that fruit juice existed in the days of the early Jews as stated in Isaiah 65:8 and also Songs of Solomon 8:2. This is contrary to your Mr Historian knowledge.
Explain deu 14 then where God himself instructed we should use tithe to buy strong wine

Two its impossible for the people in the bible to drink fruit juice cos its a more recent invention

6 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by mrvitalis(m): 8:35am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Amen.

And please ignore that ignorant fellow who says I don't have the spirit of God. He's not a child of God, yet he believes he knows what the spirit of God is.
So u know more than God that said buy strong wine ?

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by afroxyz: 8:36am On Sep 08, 2019
OKOATA:
If God doesn't support alcohol then who created alcohol, it's like saying don't smoke weed, who created the weed? Satan

dont mind the moralistic idiots. the main thing is the use and abuse not the substance itself.

that's how they say sex and money is evil.

bloody moralists

10 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 8:37am On Sep 08, 2019
TVSA:

I thought you know the root word of the words you wrote your epistle about. The word "drunk " was translated from what in the original greek lexicon? I bet you didn't check.

Original Word: μεθύω
Transliteration: methuó
Phonetic Spelling: (meth-oo'-o)
Definition: to drink to intoxication, that is, to get drunk

Other usage in the new testament. Matthew 24:49; Acts 2:15; 1 Corinthians 11:21; 1 Thessalonians 5:7.

Matthew 24:49 KJV
And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

Acts 2:15 KJV
For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

1 Corinthians 11:21 KJV
For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

1 Thessalonians 5:7 KJV
For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

They all referred to being intoxicated. Even the wine they used for holy communion in 1 Cor 11:21 was alcoholic

When they want to be foolish, they rush to the Greek word.

The verse you are trying to counter says Well Drunk. Well is an adjective. As used in John 2:10, it means they have drank well enough, not gotten drunk like a drunkard. I can drink water well enough. But does that make me a drinksrd like those on alcohol?

The word drunken doesn't always mean drunk of alcohol. Don't you understand English? I can be drunken from water. It simply means I have drank enough water. Some of the passage you quoted shows that drunken as used is talking about alcohol e.g Acts 2:15 because people don't usually drink alcohol during the day but at night. But don't people drink water at all times? Yes they do, so we see that the verse speaks of alcohol.

But 1 Corinthians 11:21 speaks of fruit juice type of wine. You can be drunk of fruit juice i.e drink too much of it. This doesn't mean you are drunk like alcoholics. Paul was simply warning the Christians against the idea that the Lord's Supper was an avenue to eat and drink too much. He was simply saying, "go to your house if you want to eat and drink till you are filled. The Lord's Supper is not for such". That's why it's just a tiny piece of bread and small cup of wine that gets served at Holy Communion. This is done to prevent people from thinking the Lord's Supper is a feast.

1 Corinthians 11:20-22 King James Version (KJV)
When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 8:39am On Sep 08, 2019
helinues:
And why did Jesus Turned water to wine?

And why didn't you read the OP?
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 8:39am On Sep 08, 2019
mrvitalis:
So u know more than God that said buy strong wine ?
Go and read the OP
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by MobilityExpress: 8:40am On Sep 08, 2019
OP I agree with you 100%. Very sound informative article you wrote. Nice one. Your wisdom will never run dry.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Biafra: Mbaka Reveals How Igbos Will Treat Each Other If Their Nation Is Achieve / What Happens To Olisa Metuh's N300million Bail Money? - Pastor Adeboye's Son / Anglican Church Refuses Man Holy Communion Because Of His Beard. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.