Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,048 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You (36891 Views)

Don't Let Anyone Lick Your Private, It's Demonic - Rev. Bernard Achiuior / The Bible Does Not Blame Women For Prostitution And Jezebel But Evil Men / Don't Let Anyone Lie To You That Christmas Is A Pagan Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Afolabs101: 9:29am On Sep 08, 2019
Fruit juice made from grapes, involves halting the fermentation process of grapes.

This was invented in 1869 by the Welch company. I’m not sure how hey had this knowledge in the Bible days

5 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 9:30am On Sep 08, 2019
TVSA:

I don't understand again o, first paragraph, Paul was talking about alcohol, last paragraph, he wasn't talking about alcohol.
Your writings are not coherent. He was talking about alcoholic wine, you can't be drunk on anything that's not intoxicating, so how did fruit juice now entered the discussion?

I meant to wrote DIDN'T I. That's what confused you . Sorry. Now go back and read my post again.
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by NovusHomo(m): 9:30am On Sep 08, 2019
Nukilia:
You now know more than the bishops in Germany and Italy grin grin grin. Africans I salute you grin

Na wah for dem. Abi no be Jesus turn water to wine?

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by PapaAdanna: 9:30am On Sep 08, 2019
This is one of our self righteous folks in Nigeria.

No be only fruit juice Jesus give them, na coca cola and Pepsi

Ndi ara

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by groovie(m): 9:31am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Are they not daft?
How else do you qualify people who failed to read the OP to see what it's saying but chose to speak against it?

Nobody is daft here. Everyone has a right to his/her opinion. Educate them if you like and leave it at that.

Yourself, you are not entirely right with your postulates too.

7 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 9:31am On Sep 08, 2019
crazygod:

The master if ceremony in the Bible just placed a statement. In the wedding, the wine wasn't enough. He simply said on a normal wedding, when people have had their fill from good wine, that's when the bring out the 'less' wine. Hello, good wine here is not talking about fruit juice, its talking about quality and expensive wine. He was surprised when Jesus brought out a more quality wine through that miracle. Simply put, it wasn't fruit juice.

So Jesus gave people alcohol to drink when his Father said we shouldn't t even look at it. Proverbs 23:31
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by SouthSouth1914: 9:32am On Sep 08, 2019
It is not wrong to drink wine, but to get intoxicated in it. If it was wrong, why did Jesus Christ turn water into wine??

Christianity has been turned into a venture by these undercover yahoo scam artists calling themselves Pastors!!

They preach on the pulpit saying-

Do not drink- They have a beer parlor in the bedroom!

Do not fornicate- They sleep with their brethren’s wife’s and kids!

Do not convert anyone’s property- They will tell you to sow seed with your properties and convert them to themselves!

BEWARE OF YAHOO PASTORS! A word is enough for the wise.

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 08, 2019
I swear to our lord jesus, christians are so foolish then explain to me why did jehovah created the grapes that produced alcohol. If drinking alcohol is what will take me to hell i will continue, mind u i'm a christian when i see foolish post like this it tells me d poster is of deeper life, lord's chosen churches or this brainwashed christians by their pastors.

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by TVSA: 9:34am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

I meant to wrote DIDN'T I. That's what confused you . Sorry. Now go back and read my post again.

it doesn't still make sense. You can't be drunk on water or fruit juice. To be drunk on something means to be intoxicated. It's either you don't understand English or you're grasping at straws to win argument.

10 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 9:34am On Sep 08, 2019
dicefrost:

Sorry dude, it is alcohol with with it's antiseptic property that is proven to be beneficial for some stomach trouble, not fruit juice! There is no way the ancient Jews could have stored fruit Jews.

How about when Jesus gave an illustration about storing new wine in old wine cloth? Was he referring to fruit juice?

The wine Jesus spoke of being stored is alcoholic wine. Such wine is not to be drank. It is used for drink offering to God as seen in Numbers 28:7. So some people produce it in commercial quantity because people buy it and tithe it to God.

Fruit juice was not storable then. So it was usually made based on demand for an occasion.
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 9:35am On Sep 08, 2019
TVSA:

it doesn't still make sense. You can't be drunk on water or fruit juice. To be drunk on something means to be intoxicated. It's either you don't understand English or you're grasping at straws to win argument.

Open your mouth a d drink a drum of water. Come back and tell me how you felt. grin

Isa simple sturvs
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by SKINDOGGY: 9:35am On Sep 08, 2019
Thunder fire you hypocrite
I no dy too comment for Nairaland but I must voice am today.
You beta stop using any technology bcus is all made and invented by atheist.
We too dy religious and we too wickedly backwards.
Thunder rape ur generation.
Ur type small temptation u go fall yakata for ground.

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Dollarseeker: 9:36am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI

its your type that would open a church and begin to teach rubbish. u lack Gods wisdom and the gift of the Holy Spirit. Seek for the wisdom of God and ask questions. Don't just read your bible and preach what you understand. If only you commune with with Holy Spirit before dropping this trash, I believe he would have taught you the truth about drinking wine.

You lack the Holy Spirit in your life.

Truth>>>Drinking of wine, whether alcoholic or not, is not bad but should not be encourage. If one can resist it, then its very good. but if you want to take it, fine. But you must not get drunk cos the Bible condemns drunkenness because when you are drunk, you are prone to committing sin.

Please stop spreading false gospels, I beg you in the name of Christ. It is well with u....READ YOUR BIBLE BUT DON'T LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING.

10 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by TVSA: 9:37am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Open your mouth a d drink a drum of water. Come back and tell me how you felt. grin

Isa simple sturvs

Water makes you intoxicated?

10 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by SouthSouth1914: 9:37am On Sep 08, 2019
RAGGA40:
I swear to our lord jesus, christians are so foolish then explain to me why did jehovah created the grapes that produced alcohol. If drinking alcohol is what will take me to hell i will continue, mind u i'm a christian when i see foolish post like this it tells me d poster is of deeper life, lord's chosen churches or this brainwashed christians by their pastors.

Jesus Christ turned water into wine! This alone truncates their stupid ideology

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by SIRTee15: 9:37am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

So says a doctor with no certificate.

You mean Paul told Timothy to drink alcohol which the Bible said we shouldn't EVEN LOOK AT as seen in Proverbs 23:31?

According to you, Paul contradicted the Bible.

U just clutching at straws.....nothing more....
U not making any sense at all.....

I suspect u are a troll, paid by seun to create controversial topics in order to increase nairaland internet traffic....
Just like that timesup234 guy on abroad topics.....

Even your pastors have kept quiet about the wine issue and rarely discuss it on pulpit....
Just have your bath and go to church....
Try and make your Sunday meaningful....

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by efighter: 9:37am On Sep 08, 2019
Awol1:

Unfortunately for you, I'm not given to drinking.

I'm just clearing stupidity.

You and your writer should go get a life.

There are more dangers to the soul of men of which alcohol doesn't come at number 100.

I am a Muslim, God spoke vehemently against alcohol in the Quran because when you get drunk, you can commit several sins, you can do things that would not do if not for alcohol, you can break all the 10 Commandments when you get drunk. I have read about people who kill, steal, commit adultery, tell lies, all while drunk.

Please pardon me for bringing Islamic perspective into purely Biblical discussion.
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by tete7000(m): 9:39am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

What is unclean before God? That is something that makes God hate a man.

Since nothing defiles a man, according to you, why not go and drink Sniper tonight as well as you have misconstrued scriptures.

If drinking sniper won't kill you and make you commit suicide why not? Ignoramus, treading where he knows nothing. Have you not read another part that says they shall drink poison and not be hurt?

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”
Mark 16:17‭-‬18 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/111/mrk.16.17-18.NIV

If your faith is strong enough, nothing will make sniper hurt you. You know nothing about scriptures, stop deluding yourself.

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by crazygod(m): 9:42am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The wine Jesus spoke of being stored is alcoholic wine. Such wine is not to be drank. It is used for drink offering to God as seen in Numbers 28:7. So some people produce it in commercial quantity because people buy it and tithe it to God.

Fruit juice was not storable then. So it was usually made based on demand for an occasion.
Hold. Who consumes the tithes in the old days? The priests were not mandated to work like other tribes. This is what they feed on. Are u telling me that God leaves his throne and comes down to earth to drink alcoholic wine? Pls bros, next time u want to teach about the precepts of the bible, I advise u get inspiration from the source itself which is the Holy Spirit. He will teach u. Don't copy and paste what a pastor just tells u. Peace bro

7 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Toxay(m): 9:45am On Sep 08, 2019
The level of ignorance displayed by OP and his supporter is frankly bewildering despite the comprehensive information that has been posted by some people.

Firstly, immediately any juice is made, fermentation process starts if it's not refrigerated or preservatives are used.
This is because any fruit including grape contains glucose which is converted by anaerobic microorganisms to ethanol and carbon dioxide for energy.This kind of organisms are present everywhere and you don't need to add yeast.

You add yeast primarily as an enzyme to speed up the process and to refine the product.

Based on this premise, there was no way the people living in time past would have fruit juice half of the time like the OP said except it's freshly made and in a few hours it already contains little quantity of alcohol.The more time it is stored, the more alcoholic it becomes till a particular pecentage of alcohol is reached.

Secondly, about Paul and Timothy, alcohol has always been part of traditional herbal mixtures and remedies.
Whether it's effective or not is another topic on its own. Hence,it's unlikely Paul was talking about just fresh fruit juice which has never been used for medicinal purposes

9 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 08, 2019
Nigerian pastors should all be gathered and put in jail because of the harm they have caused to the mindset of Nigerians. Just look at how this man had sat down, proudly propagating lies and silly beliefs. Buhari is Nigeria's president because of men with this kind of mindset.sad

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by banito1(m): 9:46am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Hello,

There's this wrong believe among Christians that the Bible supports drinking alcohol but only in moderation. They say we can drink alcohol but we shouldn't get drunk. Well, I will be using Bible verses to show that Christians are not to look at alcohol not to talk of drinking it. Also, this thread will debunk common lies told to support drinking alcohol e.g Jesus turning water to wine.

The word wine is mentioned 231 times in the Bible. But the mistake we make today is that we think the wine mentioned is just alcholic wine. Half the time wine is mentioned in the Bible, it is about fruit juice.

In the Greek and Hebrew languages in which the Bible was written in, the word translated as wine was used to refer to alcohol and also fruit juice. So when those who translated the Bible into English did so, they had to look for an English word which could mean alcoholic beverage and fruit juice. That word is wine. You might wonder why the translators didn't make things easy for us by just writing fruit juice when the verse is talking of fruit juice and write alcoholic beverage when it's about alcohol. The thing is, doing such would mean they are injecting their own idea into the Bible.

Now, in modern times, we have this believe that wine means an alcoholic drinks. That's why we think the word wine in the Bible is always referring to alcohol. Let's me show you that wine in the Bible doesn't always mean alcoholic beverage but fruit juice.

As seen above, wine is found in the cluster i.e wine still in the cluster of grapes. This is purely fruit juice and not alcoholic.

However, grapes usually have a white powdery film around it called yeast. It is that yeast that is made use of to make alcoholic wine. They crush the grapes and in the process the yeast mixed with the fruit juice that was inside grape cluster. Next fermentation takes place then the result if alcoholic wine. Most times, wine makers add more yeast to attain the desired alcohol level. So you see, wine moved from normal fruit juice before it became alcoholic wine after yeast was added.

Now, there are two types of wine as explained above: The alcoholic and fruit juice. There's a certain type of wine the Bible said we shouldn't even look at, not to talk of touching our lips with it. Read the passage below.

The verse above is talking about alcoholic wine. It even describes fermentation process. It says we shouldn't even look at that type of wine. Yet some folks say we can drink it in moderation.

It describes the feeling one gets after drinking alcohol. It's a horrible feeling.

Have you ever had alcohol such that after taking it, women whom you would never touch with a ten foot poll suddenly start looking attractive to you? The above verse describes it as the effect of alcohol. It also describes how you start saying all sorts of junks which you would not normal say.

Remember when you lie down after taking alcohol and the whole bed seems like you are swimming, and also you feel like you are floating and your eyes being dizzy. That's the feeling described.

After the whole horrible night and you wake up to hangover, what's the cure drunkards usual prescribe? They say to cure hangover, start drinking again. That's what the above passage described.

Yet, some people say we can drink alcohol in moderation and that it only becomes a sin when we get drunk. Sorry buddy, the Bible says don't even look at it.

The Bible doesn't say we should drink alcohol in moderation. It says we should be sober at all times (1 Thessalonians 5:6 Titus 2:3).

Now let's see the common verses people love to twist to try to say we can drink alcohol

The first is found in the passage where Jesus turned water into wine. They fail to realize that it was fruit juice kind of wine, not the alcoholic or fermented one. Let's examine the passage carefully.

According to some people, it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into and gave the people at the wedding to drink. However, a closer look shows that not to be the case.

Pay close attention to verse 10 where the Bible says when men have well drunk. Let's see how the New International Version (NIV) renders that verse.

If it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into, then it basically means he wanted to destroy the guests at the wedding. After they have had too much to drink, Jesus decided to give them more. That means if there were cars back then, many would have accidentally on their way home. Remember the passage in Proverbs 23 which talks about the horrible effects alcohol. If we say these people were already drunk on alcohol, then Jesus just helped them double those effect in their life by giving them more. This means they would start to behold strange women and say perverse things. Now, tell me, who would want to listen to Jesus preach the next morning after the "alcoholic wine" he gave them to drink made some of the men to sleep with their housemaid to the anger of their wives? Made them to saw perverse things to their boss? Made them to sleep in the gutter? Yet you say Jesus gave people alcohol to drink.

Jesus didn't give anybody alcohol to drink. Doing so would mean he's a liar. Remember what he said in the passage below.

If it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into at the wedding in Cana, then he abolished the law and the prophet which spoke against alcoholic wine in Proverbs 23:31. So clearly it wasn't alcoholic wine he turned water into but fruit juice.

Another passage people love to use for an excuse to drink alcohol is seen below.

Mathew 11:18-19
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.
19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

The above passage talks about a false accusations against Jesus who pointed out how they also falsely accused John the Baptist. Yet, some people will say because Jesus was accused of being a drunkard then it means he use to drink alcohol. Was John the Baptist possessed with a devil? No, but he was accused of such. I now wonder why you believe Jesus drank alcohol due to some false accusations. Remember, the accusation is that he was a drunkard. So if you use this verse to justify drinking alcohol, then don't get angry when some tells you that Jesus use to fall into gutter after getting drunk; he use to behold strange women and say perverse things. Can you see how wrong they are with their interpretation of the passage?

Another verse they use is seen below.

They pick the verse out context and say God is telling us that we can buy alcohol and drink it. If you read the previous verses, you will see that the context is about tithing. Those items listed alongside strong drink are to be brought to the temple for sacrifice to God. Some are eating, but it excludes the strong drink because nowhere in the above passage does it say drink the strong drink, same way it doesn't say drink the oil. Now, see what the strong drink is used for.

The strong drink or wine is poured out onto the Lord for a drink offering. It is not to be drank at all. But people have twisted the verse in Deutoronomy 14:26 to mean God is saying we can drink alcohol even when he said in Proverbs 23 that we shouldn't even look at it.

Guys, drinking alcohol is a sin and every Christian should abstain from it. Don't let anybody fool you into think moderation is the key. A little sip sends your good sense of judgment out the window. That's when another glass or bottle won't seem like a bad idea. And note, wine has tripple alcohol content that four bottles of beer. So don't think drinking a glass of wine is sophisticated. You are emore alcoholic than the beer drinker.

My brother I must say I am disappointed in what you just did here. You went through a whole lot trying to link different parts of the bible in a futile attempt to hide that which can't be hidden and giving your very own interpretation.

As a Christian who should stand for truth, why not show and tell the people the truth no matter how much it contradicts your personal opinion?

Well I could easily break down every single point and bible verse you wrote up there but I won't do that, I'll only give you a bible verse, it is a letter of st Paul to the Corinthians.

Please read 1 Corinthians 11:20-21

You find st Paul advising the rich among the early church that they should share their bread and wine with the poor among them during communion instead eating and drinking until they get drunk and the poor among them go without. (back then everyone brings their own bread and wine to church for communion).

Let's always stand for the truth of the bible no matter how highly placed the person who contradicts that truth is.

7 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by ibechris(m): 9:49am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Stop confusing Yourself my friend. Stop twisting the Bible...any fruit juice that stays above 24hours will eventually ferment and turn to a strong wine...so which wine are u talking about again. Even fresh palm wine ferments aggressively under 24 hours. Why are u twisting the word of God upside down.

5 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by DonMekino(m): 9:50am On Sep 08, 2019
OP Pls don't impose ur idiosyncrasies on ppl... The word wine is different from juice..... Wen Jesus talked about putting new wine in old wine skin lest it bursts, u know its alcoholic wine that can do such right? Moreover, ppl talk of implications of taking alcohol to the body, forgetting that soft drinks also have their own health implications too. If u judge all these by health implications then water might be the only drinkable liquid. As far as am concerned, moderate in taking anything is the cue.

6 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by EtihadAirways(f): 9:52am On Sep 08, 2019
Christianity is from heart! If I fit keep other commandments and fail this alcohol of a thing, na direct entry to heaven

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by whirlwind7(m): 9:53am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI

I have a single question from here:

Numbers 28:7 (KJV)
7 And the drink offering thereof shall be the fourth part of an hin for the one lamb: in the holy place shalt thou cause the strong wine to be poured unto the Lord for a drink offering.

If God forbids people from looking at strong wine (alcohol) much less touching it, why then does he ask for something He forbids to be brought to him as offering?
In other words, why is He tempting people by getting them to handle alcohol which is to be given as offering to Him?

8 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by guywitzerogal(m): 9:54am On Sep 08, 2019
Chosen1984:
THE TRUTH IS BITTER BECAUSE IT HURTS.
Op, By the Spirit of GOD , you Have Dished out the Truth .. It will Hurt Many of Us but it is The Truth..

GOD BLESS U
and what if u re wrong?

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by ZinoFasisi: 9:56am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Hello,

There's this wrong believe among Christians that the Bible supports drinking alcohol but only in moderation. They say we can drink alcohol but we shouldn't get drunk. Well, I will be using Bible verses to show that Christians are not to look at alcohol not to talk of drinking it. Also, this thread will debunk common lies told to support drinking alcohol e.g Jesus turning water to wine.

The word wine is mentioned 231 times in the Bible. But the mistake we make today is that we think the wine mentioned is just alcholic wine. Half the time wine is mentioned in the Bible, it is about fruit juice.

In the Greek and Hebrew languages in which the Bible was written in, the word translated as wine was used to refer to alcohol and also fruit juice. So when those who translated the Bible into English did so, they had to look for an English word which could mean alcoholic beverage and fruit juice. That word is wine. You might wonder why the translators didn't make things easy for us by just writing fruit juice when the verse is talking of fruit juice and write alcoholic beverage when it's about alcohol. The thing is, doing such would mean they are injecting their own idea into the Bible.

Now, in modern times, we have this believe that wine means an alcoholic drinks. That's why we think the word wine in the Bible is always referring to alcohol. Let's me show you that wine in the Bible doesn't always mean alcoholic beverage but fruit juice.

As seen above, wine is found in the cluster i.e wine still in the cluster of grapes. This is purely fruit juice and not alcoholic.

However, grapes usually have a white powdery film around it called yeast. It is that yeast that is made use of to make alcoholic wine. They crush the grapes and in the process the yeast mixed with the fruit juice that was inside grape cluster. Next fermentation takes place then the result if alcoholic wine. Most times, wine makers add more yeast to attain the desired alcohol level. So you see, wine moved from normal fruit juice before it became alcoholic wine after yeast was added.

Now, there are two types of wine as explained above: The alcoholic and fruit juice. There's a certain type of wine the Bible said we shouldn't even look at, not to talk of touching our lips with it. Read the passage below.

The verse above is talking about alcoholic wine. It even describes fermentation process. It says we shouldn't even look at that type of wine. Yet some folks say we can drink it in moderation.

It describes the feeling one gets after drinking alcohol. It's a horrible feeling.

Have you ever had alcohol such that after taking it, women whom you would never touch with a ten foot poll suddenly start looking attractive to you? The above verse describes it as the effect of alcohol. It also describes how you start saying all sorts of junks which you would not normal say.

Remember when you lie down after taking alcohol and the whole bed seems like you are swimming, and also you feel like you are floating and your eyes being dizzy. That's the feeling described.

After the whole horrible night and you wake up to hangover, what's the cure drunkards usual prescribe? They say to cure hangover, start drinking again. That's what the above passage described.

Yet, some people say we can drink alcohol in moderation and that it only becomes a sin when we get drunk. Sorry buddy, the Bible says don't even look at it.

The Bible doesn't say we should drink alcohol in moderation. It says we should be sober at all times (1 Thessalonians 5:6 Titus 2:3).

Now let's see the common verses people love to twist to try to say we can drink alcohol

The first is found in the passage where Jesus turned water into wine. They fail to realize that it was fruit juice kind of wine, not the alcoholic or fermented one. Let's examine the passage carefully.

According to some people, it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into and gave the people at the wedding to drink. However, a closer look shows that not to be the case.

Pay close attention to verse 10 where the Bible says when men have well drunk. Let's see how the New International Version (NIV) renders that verse.

If it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into, then it basically means he wanted to destroy the guests at the wedding. After they have had too much to drink, Jesus decided to give them more. That means if there were cars back then, many would have accidentally on their way home. Remember the passage in Proverbs 23 which talks about the horrible effects alcohol. If we say these people were already drunk on alcohol, then Jesus just helped them double those effect in their life by giving them more. This means they would start to behold strange women and say perverse things. Now, tell me, who would want to listen to Jesus preach the next morning after the "alcoholic wine" he gave them to drink made some of the men to sleep with their housemaid to the anger of their wives? Made them to saw perverse things to their boss? Made them to sleep in the gutter? Yet you say Jesus gave people alcohol to drink.

Jesus didn't give anybody alcohol to drink. Doing so would mean he's a liar. Remember what he said in the passage below.

If it was alcoholic wine Jesus turned water into at the wedding in Cana, then he abolished the law and the prophet which spoke against alcoholic wine in Proverbs 23:31. So clearly it wasn't alcoholic wine he turned water into but fruit juice.

Another passage people love to use for an excuse to drink alcohol is seen below.

Mathew 11:18-19
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.
19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

The above passage talks about a false accusations against Jesus who pointed out how they also falsely accused John the Baptist. Yet, some people will say because Jesus was accused of being a drunkard then it means he use to drink alcohol. Was John the Baptist possessed with a devil? No, but he was accused of such. I now wonder why you believe Jesus drank alcohol due to some false accusations. Remember, the accusation is that he was a drunkard. So if you use this verse to justify drinking alcohol, then don't get angry when some tells you that Jesus use to fall into gutter after getting drunk; he use to behold strange women and say perverse things. Can you see how wrong they are with their interpretation of the passage?

Another verse they use is seen below.

They pick the verse out context and say God is telling us that we can buy alcohol and drink it. If you read the previous verses, you will see that the context is about tithing. Those items listed alongside strong drink are to be brought to the temple for sacrifice to God. Some are eating, but it excludes the strong drink because nowhere in the above passage does it say drink the strong drink, same way it doesn't say drink the oil. Now, see what the strong drink is used for.

The strong drink or wine is poured out onto the Lord for a drink offering. It is not to be drank at all. But people have twisted the verse in Deutoronomy 14:26 to mean God is saying we can drink alcohol even when he said in Proverbs 23 that we shouldn't even look at it.

Guys, drinking alcohol is a sin and every Christian should abstain from it. Don't let anybody fool you into think moderation is the key. A little sip sends your good sense of judgment out the window. That's when another glass or bottle won't seem like a bad idea. And note, wine has tripple alcohol content that four bottles of beer. So don't think drinking a glass of wine is sophisticated. You are emore alcoholic than the beer drinker.

Bros they didn't have d technology to preserve grapes without famenting. Even now naturally made grape juice will spoil in 10 day even when refrigerated

What then did dey drink in Winter?

I'm not against ur Writeup tho, just stating an observation which u might explain better for me to understand

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by mchc1001: 9:56am On Sep 08, 2019
The topic here should be is taking alcohol a sin?, it's absolutely no, in as much as alcohol is not good for your health, any one that preaches that talking alcohol is a sin is misleading the populist

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by feelme3(m): 9:56am On Sep 08, 2019
Mr OP,
You really need to evaluate your salvation, that's if you're truly born again. Going by the harsh and insulting tone you use in other to silence your critics, you come across like a follower of a certain religion that will want someone dead if they don't believe in their doctrine.

Sit down, open your heart to the holy spirit and ask "Him" to guide you when you study. You can never win anyone with your closed, biased mind and your ready to draw a sword attitude.

10 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by biggerboyc(m): 9:57am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Go and read the OP again, that's if you did before.
I give up on you

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Frankiss44(m): 9:58am On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Alcohol doesn't come at number 100? So says someone who doesn't drink. Since you want to play a stubborn goat, go get a bottle of Jack Daniels or McDowells and drink it. Five minutes later, drive your car. If you go one a mile successful, then I will agree that alcohol is no danger to man.

In as much as you wanna pass a message, you don't sound like a Christian who wanna win souls.. Your choice of words are a disgrace to the Christ you preach

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Prophet Anointed Andrew (SEER 1) Pulled Crowd In Zambian Crusade (Photos) / Mast Falls On Chapel In Akwa Ibom During Sunday Service (Photos) / I Want To Leave My Father's Deeper Life Church. Is It Right? - Pastor's Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.