Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,920 members, 7,952,696 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:26 PM

Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments (30077 Views)

Chinese Firm Plotting To Strip Nigeria Of Assets, Embarrass Tinubu– Bayo Onanuga / Wike Orders Prosecution Of Amaechi, Cole Over Alleged Sale Of Assets / Court Orders Permanent Forfeiture Of Assets Linked To Oyo-ita (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Xisnin(m): 11:27am On Sep 08, 2019
bennynaza:
Agreement or not, if you want to do it, you do it.
There is no law or agreement that supports a govt to nationalize foreign investments.
You do it by force. It's just a matter of having the balls to declare foreign assets national and damn the reaction.

Question is, does our present government have the balls?
It would be a different case if it was in the extractive industry where the government
owns the product.
Nationalizing an investment is not different from your landlord seizing your property or business
for whatever reason.
I am sure you would not be too excited by such a move.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Xisnin(m): 11:29am On Sep 08, 2019
IamCharles123:

Their govt aren't any smarter, the contract says protection of each others business in both country, SA govt has failed to protect Nigeria businesses in their country so they have broken the contract already. Nigeria govt can go ahead n do anything but i know Nigeria govt is weak so am not expecting anything from them.
There will always be criminals.
The agreement is binding on the government of both countries and not the
criminals and looters on the street.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Xisnin(m): 11:30am On Sep 08, 2019
Charmingrascal:
They signed Investment protection deal but the motherfuc*ing SA Govt can't protect Nigerians Investment in their HIV ravaged Country.
Your problem is lack of understanding.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by ednut1(m): 11:32am On Sep 08, 2019
niaralandtopuser:

was there no insurance before you struck the agreement? do you need agreement to live, work and own businesses In any country? does the WTO agreement not covered that already? why get
special agreement just to trade or live in another country when you can already do that under the WTO agreement? I must be explaining to a very dumb individual
bye. U clearly clueless .
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Xisnin(m): 11:33am On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:
Did South African Government protect Nigerian investments in South Africa. The answer is obviously "No". I think the agreement has been violated already by the SA Government.

Nationalization of the assets of South Africa in Nigeria is a regretable but possible option. We must hold South Africa government responsible for their actions and inaction.
You seem to be confused as to the meaning of "protection" in business or trade contracts.
Only a fool will sign an agreement to protect what it can't.
Protection clause is binding on the government, not the criminal citizens.
The contract remains valid until the SA or Nigerian government unilaterally
interfere in each other's investment.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 08, 2019
many kids on dis forum have forgotten dat their political looters would not want to loose their loot & investment in SA. naija will loose more. More than 1 million Nigerians in SA vs 100k SAs in naija ?

But what's with Igbo people & south Africa? I know 20 of dem there myself.

Overpopulation & underdevelopment for home country & running away to foreign land to make legal/illegal earninh is a future doom for us for naija
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Tchange1(m): 11:51am On Sep 08, 2019
So FG are saying they can't Nationalise SA investments fine this leaves FG with other options shut down the their operations or revoke their licenses

This FG's statement of can't Nationalise is an absolute bulshit because most Nigerians has shares there which is more valuable than the life's lost. During Obasanjo's era can this current bullshit of today stand. ?
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by higgs: 11:57am On Sep 08, 2019
Nationalize MTN etc ? So they become like Nitel,NNPC etc? We will lose the billions they pay in taxes,unemployment will increase and we will send a signal to the whole world that Nigeria is not a safe place to invest.
The Nigerian government should insist on compensation for her citizens and forget any thought of nationalization.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by justtoodark: 11:59am On Sep 08, 2019
ednut1:
so u believe the sovereign nation crap lol. Was libya not a sovereign nation . Was mugabe not right to take over white farms Keep deceiving yaself.

somebody realy gave you a headnut that you havent recovered from till now....
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by MPSA(m): 12:13pm On Sep 08, 2019
Guys! We must try by all means to avoid this Situations, Much Love Guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlTkOOG69E

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by KekeNash(f): 12:18pm On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:

Idiot, I said "businesses" not companies - any Nigerian business man running a "copy shop" or whatever you wanna call it, that generates income, is a Nigerian business.

As per taxes, the failure of South African Government to tax the Nigerian businesses should be primarily the government's fault. The enforcement agents should be deployed to get every businesses, citizens and residents to pay taxes appropriately.

If Nigerians do "scamming work" as you put it, let the law take them up not you people who are also looters, thieves, killers, opportunists and haters conducting jungles justice on the "accused" Nigerians.
Our government failed us long ago, mob justice seems to be working, you want something to be done, do it yourself.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Wallade(m): 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2019
KekeNash:

Our government failed us long ago, mob justice seems to be working, you want something to be done, do it yourself.

My dear, the world has moved beyond jungle justice. We are not animals or "stone-age" people.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by KekeNash(f): 12:29pm On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:

My dear, the world has moved beyond jungle justice. We are not animals or "stone-age" people.
is the only language Nigerian drug dealers understand.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Wallade(m): 12:42pm On Sep 08, 2019
Xisnin:

You seem to be confused as to the meaning of "protection" in business or trade contracts.
Only a fool will sign an agreement to protect what it can't.
Protection clause is binding on the government, not the criminal citizens.
The contract remains valid until the SA or Nigerian government unilaterally
interfere in each other's investment.

Are you saying that the government of both Nigeria and South Africa were foolish to have signed such agreement.

"Protection clause" requires the government of both countries to safe guard the lives, properties, assets, businesses of citizens and foreigners against physical attacks, criminals and forseable harm that are not induced by market forces.

The government has a responsibility to enforce laws and discipline against citizens and foreigners that operate crimes, illegitimate businesses and violate the laws. The law enforcement agents of South Africa government ignored the attackers and their victims, in some cases, as if nothing happened. The police pretended that nothing was happening indirectly encouraging it.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs in South Africa justified xenophobic acts by demonizing the targeted foreigners.

Honestly, I will support any attempt of Nigerian Government to nationalize the assets of South Africa if the government of South Africa continue to support and justify xenophobia, incite their people against foreigners, tolerate xenophobic crimes, attack and jungle justice treatment of foreigners.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Wallade(m): 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2019
KekeNash:

is the only language Nigerian drug dealers understand.

Every Nigerian isn't a drug dealer. You shouldn't go about assuming that every Nigerian is a drug dealer. Besides, when you believe that a Nigerian or anyone is a drug dealer, he is an accused that can be reported to the police and let him be charged to appropriate court for conviction. You should not be the accuser and the judge.

Stop justifying your shameful conduct and barbaric tendencies. I expect you and the South Africans to be civilized.

Would it be sensible if I assume that every South African is an HIV carrier?
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by KekeNash(f): 1:03pm On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:

Every Nigerian isn't a drug dealer. You shouldn't go about assuming that every Nigerian is a drug dealer. Besides, when you believe that a Nigerian or anyone is a drug dealer, he is an accused that can be reported to the police and let him be charged to appropriate court for conviction. You should not be the accuser and the judge.

Stop justifying your shameful conduct and barbaric tendencies. I expect you and the South Africans to be civilized.

Would it be sensible if I assume that every South African is an HIV carrier?
You can say whatever you want, scroll up and read loud where you say "You people are thieves, looters and haters". We are civilised we just don't want be provoked.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Wallade(m): 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2019
KekeNash:

You can say whatever you want, scroll up and read loud where you say "You people are thieves, looters and haters". We are civilised we just don't want be provoked.

Let me ask you a question: do you do drugs, do you patronize drug pushers?
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by KekeNash(f): 1:35pm On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:

No Sir, me and my people don't patronize drug pushers, thats why today we have what you call xhenophopia.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by KekeNash(f): 1:36pm On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:

No Sir, me and my people don't patronize drug pushers, thats why today we have what you call xhenophobia.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by oluwasegun007(m): 2:02pm On Sep 08, 2019
We have track record of entering unfavourable contact...

Anyways, every contract has a looop hole
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by bleskid: 2:17pm On Sep 08, 2019
Okay nawao angry
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Xisnin(m): 2:23pm On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:

Are you saying that the government of both Nigeria and South Africa were foolish to have signed such agreement.

"Protection clause" requires the government of both countries to safe guard the lives, properties, assets, businesses of citizens and foreigners against physical attacks, criminals and forseable harm that are not induced by market forces.

The government has a responsibility to enforce laws and discipline against citizens and foreigners that operate crimes, illegitimate businesses and violate the laws. The law enforcement agents of South Africa government ignored the attackers and their victims, in some cases, as if nothing happened. The police pretended that nothing was happening indirectly encouraging it.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs in South Africa justified xenophobic acts by demonizing the targeted foreigners.

Honestly, I will support any attempt of Nigerian Government to nationalize the assets of South Africa if the government of South Africa continue to support and justify xenophobia, incite their people against foreigners, tolerate xenophobic crimes, attack and jungle justice treatment of foreigners.

If it is about protection from thieves, looters, and burglars, such agreement is meaningless.

The protection is about the actions of the government not its citizens.
If it were to be the case, anytime a foreigner is robbed, mogged or assaulted,
the other country's government should respond by harassing the offending countries citizens in revenge.

Don't find it funny that a nation that can't protect its own citizens will be asking for
protection from another country? The reality is that no country can promise the kind
of protection you are talking about.

There is no freedom from crime anywhere in the world if you don't like the security situation,
you move elsewhere to conduct your business.

I believe that Buhari and his ministers are not that dumb to pursue nationalization
being championed by a mob of economy illiterates.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by KekeNash(f): 2:42pm On Sep 08, 2019
Xisnin:

If it is about protection from thieves, looters, and burglars, such agreement is meaningless.

the other country's government should respond by harassing the offending countries citizens in revenge.

Don't find it funny that a nation that can't protect its own citizens will be asking for
protection from another country? The reality is that no country can promise the kind

There is no freedom from crime anywhere in the world if you don't like the security situation,

I believe that Buhari and his ministers are not that dumb to pursue nationalization
nuff said bro.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Wallade(m): 2:43pm On Sep 08, 2019
Xisnin:

Nationalization will always be an option. What is the responsibility of the law enforcement agents like police and drug law enforcement agents?

Security is not 100% guaranteed anywhere in the world but there must be enforcement agents willing and able to respond to security challenges anytime required. That is necessary for businesses to thrive. The agreement is about security in totality not partial security that you assumed.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by KekeNash(f): 2:52pm On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:

Nationalization will always be an option. What is the responsibility of the law enforcement agents like police and drug law enforcement agents?

Security is not 100% guaranteed anywhere in the world but there must be enforcement agents willing and able to respond to security challenges anytime required. That is necessary for businesses to thrive. The agreement is about security in totality not partial security that you assumed.
so you want Dstv to be like your stupid NTA? Lol! i watch it whenever i want a good laugh, stupidity everywhere.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by chomaloo(m): 2:57pm On Sep 08, 2019
I read the contract and it also states that investment and properties of both parties must be protected in either area and if theres abuse to the contract the latter should be hugely compensated according to the modern value of property or investment affected. On this ground then nigeria govt should hold south african govt at any means to compensate nigerians and nigerian families that has lost lives and properties. If they cant then this is just another nigerian politician playing with the aggrieved Nigerians who are still grieving for their loss.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Xisnin(m): 2:59pm On Sep 08, 2019
Wallade:

Nationalization can never be an option unless you are ready to become another Zimbabwe.
Leaving aside international reaction, neither the Nigerian government nor the crony it hands
the investment to can profitably run the businesses.

The bold is due to a sense of entitlement.

Since around 2017, many people can no longer use the Kaduna-Abuja expressway for business due to the fear of
kidnapping. Many have been kidnapped and killed even foreign construction workers.
Do you think the foreigners living in Kaduna should move for the nationalization of Nigeria's
asset in their country(if we have any)?

You cannot demand from another country what is not obtainable anywhere in the world
and cannot even guarantee themselves.
The country has one of the worst crime rates in the world, yet you think foreigners should
be immune from such.

I will repeat once again, the only reason country sign business contract is to make sure that
the governments involved play fair on agreed economic policies.

It doesn't mean the citizens suddenly belong to a special and protected class.
They are just like everybody else except that the government will not interfere
in their investment.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Wallade(m): 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2019
Xisnin:

Nationalization can never be an option unless you are ready to become another Zimbabwe.
Leaving aside international reaction, neither the Nigerian government nor the crony it hands
the investment to can profitably run the businesses.

The bold is due to a sense of entitlement.

Since around 2017, many people can no longer use the Kaduna-Abuja expressway for business due to the fear of
kidnapping. Many have been kidnapped and killed even foreign construction workers.
Do you think the foreigners living in Kaduna should move for the nationalization of Nigeria's
asset in their country(if we have any)?

You cannot demand from another country what is not obtainable anywhere in the world
and cannot even guarantee themselves.
The country has one of the worst crime rates in the world, yet you think foreigners should
be immune from such.

I will repeat once again, the only reason country sign business contract is to make sure that
the governments involved play fair on agreed economic policies.

It doesn't mean the citizens suddenly belong to a special and protected class.
They are just like everybody else except that the government will not interfere
in their investment.

A government that will make little or no effort to protect the lives of citizens and foreigners with their properties, assets and investment has failed.

The security may not be perfect but effort must always be made to ensure safety but when you have a government like that of South Africa which would rather justify their irresponsibilities by blaming foreigners, especially Nigerians. That is the height of it.

Nigeria has security challenges too but will never excuse it or justify it with xenophobic and hateful behavior or comments.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Wallade(m): 4:16pm On Sep 08, 2019
KekeNash:

so you want Dstv to be like your stupid NTA? Lol! i watch it whenever i want a good laugh, stupidity everywhere.

You mean you don't have miserable TV stations like NTA in South Africa, LOL. Have you seen some other Nigerian TV stations.

Your DSTV survives in Nigeria owing to monopoly majorly. Majority subscribe to it majorly because of European football. Every other programme is just OK and obtainable on cheaper Cable TV.

Besides, this discussion is not about cable TV, it is about South Africans despicable, disrespectful, hateful, dangerous and xenophobic tendencies.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Emrixx(f): 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2019
olamakinde:
Lazy youth

Thanks
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by blueghost(m): 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2019
We just hop into deals without looking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Private Refineries Licensed By DPR (full List) / Governor Sanwo-Olu Receives One-Day Lagos Governor, Ms. Jemimah Marcus (Photos) / Aida-nath Visits Babaginda In Minna, Urges Youths To Get Involved In Leadership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.