Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,668 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

American Citizenship - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American Citizenship (2259 Views)

American Citizenship Filing / Renouncing Your American Citizenship Due To High Tax Rate..... / American Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 4:50am On Oct 28, 2010
Hooray, we applied for the american citizenship a few months ago and finally, this friday, we are going in for the fingerprinting.

Please, all you naturalized american citizens, please share your experience. wink

Are the questions hard??
Re: American Citizenship by Nobody: 4:54am On Oct 28, 2010
Easy. . . . just practice.

Nothng to worry about, as long as you know the basic history wink Congrats!
Re: American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 5:09am On Oct 28, 2010
Thanks!! smiley

1 Like

Re: American Citizenship by oyewolejos(m): 7:00am On Oct 28, 2010
SeanT21:

Hooray, we applied for the american citizenship a few months ago and finally, this friday, we are going in for the [b]fingerprinting. Please, all you naturalized american citizens, please share your experience. wink

Are the questions hard??[/b]

I thought fingerprinting is when u go to the ASC to take have your biometrics information taken is it also the time when u take the Naturalization test? Someone who has knowledge of how it works should please shed more lights
Am kinda curious
Re: American Citizenship by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 28, 2010
oyewolejos:

I thought fingerprinting is when u go to the ASC to take have your biometrics information taken is it also the time when u take the Naturalization test? Someone who has knowledge of how it works should please shed more lights
Am kinda curious

They ask you to come and take your biometric test.
Then they will send you an interview time for your N. Test
Then they'll send you another date for your  Citizenship ceremony.

It's a long process for some, short for others.

Do not be late for any of the above or they'll reappoint you, which will take another long period.
Re: American Citizenship by MOG2009: 11:19pm On Oct 28, 2010
The process could take between 5 or 6 months and it varies from states to states.  I lived in NYC and I filed for my Citizenship on January 20th. Some days later, i received a letter from USCIS  that my application was received.  Two weeks after, I received another letter  requesting  for my finger prints  scheduled for  February 23rd and also alternative day, if you missed or can't make the appointment  the other days are  Wednesdays only .(Note: You have to be there on time or else you could be bounced on this alternative days).In addition, you will be given a study guide for your US Citizenship test at the finger print centre.
I couldn't  meet up my appointment on scheduled date (23rd ) and I was bounced on  Febuary 24th   because i didn't get there on time. I finally did my finger prints on 3rd of March and I recieved another letter  requesting for additional documents on  my interview date . By April 20th, I recieved another letter for my US Citizenship interview date  scheduled for May 20th.
However,I passed my interview and I became a US Citizen by taken the oath of allegency, got  nauralization certificate same day in June 16.
Re: American Citizenship by Freewilly(f): 11:35pm On Oct 28, 2010
Biometric is your first step, there they will also give you the TEST questions and answers make sure you get the CD so you can listen to it when ever.

Make sure you know the answer to all the questions because they will only ask you like three of four of the about 50 questions. I did mines years

ago so I'm not sure of how many questions they have now, but if you did your high school in the states and listen to the news ones in a while and know who

Your senator, congressman, Governor are it  helps.

Also make sure where the ask you if you have anything on your recored even traffic tickets you tell them everything they will not denie you

citizenship for just minor offenses
Re: American Citizenship by MOG2009: 11:39pm On Oct 28, 2010
The US Citizenship practise guide contains 100 questions and answers. You are mandated to practised all the questions and answers. I gathered from the USCIS interviewer that you will be asked 10 randomly questions and if you get the first six question correct. The interviewer wouldn't bother to go further to complete the 10 questions. Also, the questions are divided into two parts. They are oral and written questions. The first part is the oral questions about the geographical, government, civic responsibility and America history etc. The second part is the written part. This is more of testing your written and understanding skills. For example I was asked to write  "Abraham Lincoln is one of US President".  

However, the  questions and written test also with the interview lasted less than 10-15mins !!! I think is piece of pie.
Re: American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 2:23am On Oct 29, 2010
Thanks everyone. Finally, tomorrow we are going in for the biometric. wink
Re: American Citizenship by Freewilly(f): 10:43pm On Oct 29, 2010
Good luck sis. And please when it's time for your swearing in, just dress and act casual, I had family that were going for the swearing in ceremony

the other day acting like being an American citizen is the best thing since sliced bread. grin grin

Keep us informed.
Re: American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 11:27pm On Oct 29, 2010
Well, today we went in for the fingerprinting. It was not long at all. We also toke head-shots. The lady give us the booklet to study.

Anyway, so far so good.
Re: American Citizenship by omega25red(m): 6:27pm On Oct 30, 2010
SeanT21:

Well, today we went in for the fingerprinting. It was not long at all. We also toke head-shots. The lady give us the booklet to study.

Anyway, so far so good.

read that booklet very very well and know those information like the way you put food in your mouth. When i went for the interview the woman who interviewed me just jumped into the questions without warning so it was either i knew the answers or i didn't. Lucky for me i new those answers like breathing. The interview took like 10 mins and i was told congrats and to expect an invite for the oat ceremony. The ceremony had lots of people there and you will do the oat and be given your certificate with your pic on it. the next thing to do is to get a passport (when you are ready of course) and the rest is history
Re: American Citizenship by oyinda3(f): 6:37pm On Oct 30, 2010
awww congratulations!!!! Are you liberian? there was a tps brouhaha mid last year that caused a lot of liberians to start applying for citizenship

Ileke-IdI:

They ask you to come and take your biometric test.
Then they will send you an interview time for your N. Test
Then they'll send you another date for your  Citizenship ceremony.

It's a long process for some, short for others.

Do not be late for any of the above or they'll reappoint you, which will take another long period.

yup. that's the process. it will take about 3-4 months for most. but some others it might take longer if their case is more complicated ie children, divorce and remarrying ( they are very suspicious of marriages) , criminal record, multiple oversees travel etc

one tip is that you be very careful and organized. don't lose your appointment letters and always make sure you bring all the right documents to your appointment.
Re: American Citizenship by EzeUche0(m): 6:41pm On Oct 30, 2010
I was born with citizenship.

Parents had me while on "vacation."
Re: American Citizenship by oyinda3(f): 6:47pm On Oct 30, 2010
wow EzeUche, you did a very wonderful job of answering the OP's questions!!!

1 Like

Re: American Citizenship by EzeUche0(m): 6:59pm On Oct 30, 2010
oyinda.:

wow EzeUche, you did a very wonderful job of answering the OP's questions!!!

Where have you been? Or should I say hiding? grin

Well I cannot answer his question, because I would not know. Can you help?
Re: American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 4:26am On Oct 31, 2010
Thanks everyone.

Oyinda, I came here on permanent resident and it expires in two years. yes, I'm a Liberian.
Re: American Citizenship by darkman200: 5:01am On Oct 31, 2010
Congrats @ OP
Re: American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 8:51pm On Oct 31, 2010
Thnx
Re: American Citizenship by tpiander: 3:50pm On Sep 24, 2015
Re: American Citizenship by tpiander: 12:21am On Sep 26, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Traveling To Ibadan, Advice Needed On The Best Route / Beautiful Pictures And Video Of Asaba / Travel Advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.