Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... (18627 Views)

20W50 Oils! Read And Stop Demonizing It. / Can I Change From 20w50 To 5w20 / Best 20W50 Engine Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 8:42pm On Sep 14, 2019

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by radautoworks: 12:12am On Sep 15, 2019
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Nobody: 4:30am On Sep 15, 2019
truthbetold30:
Using the recommended Motor/transmission fluids for your car is a lot more than just your engine dying on you. With thicker oils, the strain on the engine is not instantaneous. However, with time, you experience loss of power and bad/reduced fuel economy which you would mostly not notice. Only very few Nigerians will ever get Fuel economy ratings as stated by manufacturer.. If your engine has to work harder to process thicker oil, what you gain in using Mineral oil, you loose in fuel economy and engine efficiency.

Imagine loosing 2 litres on every full tank of gas you buy for example. in 3 months, you loose more than enough money to buy synthetic oil and still have change....

It is more a case of penny wise, pound foolish. Little wonder Nigerians are the worse abusers of cars in the world.

Stick with one moniker dru23

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 5:07am On Sep 15, 2019
Smartchoiice:

Stick with one moniker dru23

He is not dru23..

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Nobody: 5:10am On Sep 15, 2019
dru23:

He is not dru23..
Great stick with this one.....

3 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 1:14pm On Sep 16, 2019
ascendo:

I know what Im telling you. Get a Toyota Camry 1999 model and check the Engine oil Cap. You will see 5W30. Buy a 5W30 and use on it, you will notice that the oil dries up. Most of the times, these cars arent meant for the market we are using them in. Check Toyota Products from SA, you will see that there is a table for selection and you will see 20W50 there.

Do you want an evidence? Check the picture attached for Selection chart. You MUST consider TEMPERATURE before selection but OilGrade ie API Classification MUST be maintained

This is my field!

Different from the USA Toyota.. Toyota USA more than likely built better than SA
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 1:20pm On Sep 16, 2019
ascendo:

I know what Im telling you. Get a Toyota Camry 1999 model and check the Engine oil Cap. You will see 5W30. Buy a 5W30 and use on it, you will notice that the oil dries up. Most of the times, these cars arent meant for the market we are using them in. Check Toyota Products from SA, you will see that there is a table for selection and you will see 20W50 there.

Do you want an evidence? Check the picture attached for Selection chart. You MUST consider TEMPERATURE before selection but OilGrade ie API Classification MUST be maintained

This is my field!

During these oil debate.. One thing I didnt do is go directly to owners manual to read . All the information is free and readily avilable on line... as u can see 5w30 is good for all extreme weather ... most of the tokunbo cars are from the USA ,which are built better than SA.. Apart from that ,you can the 1999 Camry owners manual at the bottom.. I rest my case ...

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ascendo(m): 1:34pm On Sep 16, 2019
dru23:

During these oil debate.. One thing I didnt do is go directly to owners manual to read . All the information is free and readily avilable on line... as u can see 5w30 is good for all extreme weather ... most of the tokunbo cars are from the USA ,which are built better than SA.. Apart from that ,you can the 1999 Camry owners manual at the bottom.. I rest my case ...

Check the manual you attached... Use API SJ

In lube selection; API Classification plays the major role.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 2:24pm On Sep 16, 2019
ascendo:

Check the manual you attached... Use API SJ

In lube selection; API Classification plays the major role.

It gave you two types of oil you can use .. It stated 5w30 for types of weather and 10w30 ... but it highly reccomends 5w30. If I don't see 20w50 I will not reccomend it plain and simple... Keep in mind this is a 1999 Camry we talking about......

Even I do go back to my 07 Elantra manual... The Elantra was used for uber and previous manager I had was using Mobil xhp . The wrong oil to begin with..... It does not matter if the xhp was changed often or not .. It was the wrong oil to start with.. Now if I had a warranty on it , it would have been null and void.....I had to sell of all my cars and start over again.. Please my brother let us educate our customers and encourage them to read the owners manual... The manufacturer knows better than us , .. Car engine is a big business in ladipo.. And mechanics and engine sellers are smiling to the bank ..trust me I used to ship parts ..these guys are making millions of people's ignorance....

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by radautoworks: 8:02pm On Sep 16, 2019
ascendo:

Its not false advert... its like a HYBRID. Just like combining the features of the two ranges (GTX and Magnatec) in a single product. Thats just the secret.

GTX has its strength in fighting SLUDGE while magnatec has intelligent molecules as its strength. These clings on the bodies to be lubricated even when the engine is off for a long time. Thus, at the first motion of your engine mechanisms, there is protection from the start.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4452942/List_of_oils_by_base-oil-quali

This is the authority on oil and *cough* Carquest ranks higher than gtx. Not much different from Mobil 1 high mileage either
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by radautoworks: 7:14pm On Sep 18, 2019
dru23:

Pretty soon now u start telling your customers that you cook the best Jamaican oxtail at your place.... Aunty Radauto I dey enjoy the real thing for USA... come join me

Thank you for reminding me omo daadaa. My lunch today.

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 7:41pm On Sep 18, 2019
radautoworks:

Thank you for reminding me omo daadaa. My lunch today.

Looks nice .... Next am in Lagos I will try your food ... do you have cocoa bread and beef patties
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by radautoworks: 7:46pm On Sep 18, 2019
dru23:

Looks nice .... Next am in Lagos I will try your food ... do you have cocoa bread and beef patties

Damnit. No. No supply and Nigerian beef tastes weird in patties.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by lubehouse9ja(m): 4:29pm On Oct 28, 2019
grin.. I just want to booked space.
dru23:

You didn't really answer my question? Does it exceed it ....Yes or No answer...... That is what am looking for.. From your write up and explanation it exceeds it ....keep in mind the USA Castrol magnatec gtx we talking about ...
Not edge... the castrol that you selling can just show me the bottle where it writes it exceed API .. That is 5w30 , if it does not write exceed Api am not buying it ...
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by exclusiveoloori: 12:58pm On Mar 13, 2020
Pls house, which engine oil is recommended to use for Toyota Camry 2003 (big daddy) 190k milelage. I'm in Nigeria.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 5:10pm On Mar 13, 2020
exclusiveoloori:
Pls house, which engine oil is recommended to use for Toyota Camry 2003 (big daddy) 190k milelage. I'm in Nigeria.

If the car is direct tokunbo, follow owners manual 5w30

And if it is Nigerian used, my brother you are on ur own be that.....

Below I have the right match for your car and filter

1 Share

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by sooperrescue(m): 3:40am On Mar 15, 2020
dru23:

If the car is direct tokunbo, follow owners manual 5w30

And if it is Nigerian used, my brother you are on ur own be that.....

Below I have the right match for your car and filter

You have been very busy trying to convince a lot of die hard 20w50 fans. Great job. The state of naija used cars points to one direction. Wrong use of engine oil. I have always believed that there is a grand conspiracy to destroy our cars by the oil companies. Recently, Sahara group and Nnpc just introduced their 20w50 oil into the market and with the way they are hyping the oil, that means that they will reduce the population of cars from our roads. Even though we talk about voided warranty, when we use 20w50, it is the company that provides the warranty that is voiding the warranty. A lot of new cars are being serviced with 20w50 by the authorized dealership and you will now ask, who will provide the warranty if that oil is being used. And when you use the oil that is not recommended for your car, the car is gradually being destroyed. Kia and Hyundai took over the market share from corolla because of elizade policy of using 20w50 to service their cars and these same dealers are now using the same 20w50. I have gone round several dealers offices and they are all using 20w50 oil for their new vehicles. Either it is deliberate or they are ignorant. But I think it is the money making factor that is driving them to destroy the cars and sell more cars. Cars 45 are carrying the burden of the poor maintenance culture in the country. I have never seen anyone who took their well maintained cars to sell to them. At their yard, you will always find disgusting cars there and it is these holy motorists who were once proud owners of these cars that dumped them there. Mechanics and parts sellers are smiling to the banks all the time because we want to tell people that we know more about the car than the manufacturer.

3 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ivoryhouse(m): 5:47am On Mar 15, 2020
I don't quite blame the lube oil companies. The average Nigerian won't research, so you see a graduate paying heed to a stark illiterate mechanic that works from under a tree, literally. Then I wander how someone will spend N5m to buy a car and find it difficult to buy quality lubes for it. Many prefer used parts and it baffles me. Ladipo gets over N1b worth of sales per day and I advise anyone who can to also cash out, since they won't listen to sound advise.
sooperrescue:

You have been very busy trying to convince a lot of die hard 20w50 fans. Great job. The state of naija used cars points to one direction. Wrong use of engine oil. I have always believed that there is a grand conspiracy to destroy our cars by the oil companies. Recently, Sahara group and Nnpc just introduced their 20w50 oil into the market and with the way they are hyping the oil, that means that they will reduce the population of cars from our roads. Even though we talk about voided warranty, when we use 20w50, it is the company that provides the warranty that is voiding the warranty. A lot of new cars are being serviced with 20w50 by the authorized dealership and you will now ask, who will provide the warranty if that oil is being used. And when you use the oil that is not recommended for your car, the car is gradually being destroyed. Kia and Hyundai took over the market share from corolla because of elizade policy of using 20w50 to service their cars and these same dealers are now using the same 20w50. I have gone round several dealers offices and they are all using 20w50 oil for their new vehicles. Either it is deliberate or they are ignorant. But I think it is the money making factor that is driving them to destroy the cars and sell more cars. Cars 45 are carrying the burden of the poor maintenance culture in the country. I have never seen anyone who took their well maintained cars to sell to them. At their yard, you will always find disgusting cars there and it is these holy motorists who were once proud owners of these cars that dumped them there. Mechanics and parts sellers are smiling to the banks all the time because we want to tell people that we know more about the car than the manufacturer.

2 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ivoryhouse(m): 5:48am On Mar 15, 2020
Would you by any chance have 10w30 lube in stock? I've missed Jamrock food and amazing staff

radautoworks:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4452942/List_of_oils_by_base-oil-quali

This is the authority on oil and *cough* Carquest ranks higher than gtx. Not much different from Mobil 1 high mileage either
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 9:46am On Mar 15, 2020
sooperrescue:

The only winners here are engine sellers, have said that before. If you try to preach to them on using the rite oil, they say u want to sell your product to them.. But in reality if we wanted to make real money ,we would push the 20w50 narrative, but knowing what I know , my conscious will not let me rest...

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by sooperrescue(m): 10:44am On Mar 15, 2020
ivoryhouse:
I don't quite blame the lube oil companies. The average Nigerian won't research, so you see a graduate paying heed to a stark illiterate mechanic that works from under a tree, literally. Then I wander how someone will spend N5m to buy a car and find it difficult to buy quality lubes for it. Many prefer used parts and it baffles me. Ladipo gets over N1b worth of sales per day and I advise anyone who can to also cash out, since they won't listen to sound advise.
Long time. I saw a guy carrying 5 litres of mobil 20w50 with pride and I asked him for which car and he said Toyota muscle and I told him to go to his car and bring the oil cover and he did and discovered that he needed 5w20. His mechanic later told him to buy Glife and he grudgingly went to buy. The owners know the oil being used on their cars. A customer was using Mobil 20w50 on his range rover evoque and he spent 1 3m to fix it. If no one is advising them like the Op is doing right now, they will say that mechanics are the cause but we have told them but they will never hear.

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by radautoworks: 3:01pm On Mar 15, 2020
ivoryhouse:
Would you by any chance have 10w30 lube in stock? I've missed Jamrock food and amazing staff

I'm still out of town caught up in travel restrictions. Send Rachel email at support below.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ivoryhouse(m): 7:01pm On Mar 15, 2020
radautoworks:

I'm still out of town caught up in travel restrictions. Send Rachel email at support below.
Wow...I may stop by your shop tomorrow. Be safe

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ivoryhouse(m): 7:05pm On Mar 15, 2020
Really long time...dem no dey hear word! Someone bought a nee transmission on his h2 that came in from the US in December 2019. He had serviced the transmission with the wrong fluid and it started shifting erratically, and they convinced him to buy a replacement. And he may end up doing same to the engine as he doesn't want to vet genuine parts for it. That's the story of majority of car owners in Nigeria. They can't spend N50k on parts but can spend N400k on an engine or transmission...it crazy
sooperrescue:

Long time. I saw a guy carrying 5 litres of mobil 20w50 with pride and I asked him for which car and he said Toyota muscle and I told him to go to his car and bring the oil cover and he did and discovered that he needed 5w20. His mechanic later told him to buy Glife and he grudgingly went to buy. The owners know the oil being used on their cars. A customer was using Mobil 20w50 on his range rover evoque and he spent 1 3m to fix it. If no one is advising them like the Op is doing right now, they will say that mechanics are the cause but we have told them but they will never hear.

2 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 15, 2020
sooperrescue:

I bought a thermocool generator from a major distributor of thermocool, they did an initial service using 20W50 oil manufactured by thermocool so I didn't think anything was wrong. Infact, I felt the engine must have been designed to use that oil considering it's the holy grail in Nigeria.

Got home, went through the owners manual only to see it boldly written that the gen should be serviced with 10W30 oil. So these guys manufactured an engine designed to use 10W30 oil and then went on to produce 20W50 oil for same gen. How do you explain this kind of fuckery?

3 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by sooperrescue(m): 8:16pm On Mar 15, 2020
rationalmind:

I bought a thermocool generator from a major distributor of thermocool, they did an initial service using 20W50 oil manufactured by thermocool so I didn't think anything was wrong. Infact, I felt engine must have been designed to use that oil considering it's the holy grail in Nigeria.

Got home, went through the owners manual only to see it boldly written that the gen should be serviced with 10W30 oil. So these guys manufactured an engine designed to use 10W30 oil and then went on to produce 20W50 oil for same gen. How do you explain this kind of fuckery?
It is the same thing with firman. They use an Api sl 20w50 oil for their gens. You have brought to the fore the answer to our engine problems. The generator, after some time will start leaking oil and it's surrounding will be soaked with oil and within months it starts making noises and smoking. Forte even went further by producing generator oil which is lower than the 20w50 oil thermercool made. These are the same oils that people use on their new vehicles. Oil that can never work for generators are used for cars.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by 9icetoo(m): 8:55am On Mar 16, 2020
sooperrescue:

I've mentioned it on Nairaland before. The dealerships are killing cars.
The oil I saw them using to service engines and transmissions was just unbelievable.
Imagine pouring Dozzy transmission oil into a 2015 Kia Rio auto transmission. Incredible. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I saw several Kia Rio's with blown engines. I mean with connecting rods sticking out of the blocks and some with piston and cylinder scouring so bad that you'd think something threw a grinding stone into the engine.

Yet people still think new engines are fine with 20w50. For temporary use, it is. For long term use, you are killing your engine slowly.

Old engines may be fine with it, if the manufacturer recommends it.

No wonder engines are shipped on a daily basis in and out of Ladipo.

3 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Ikenna351(m): 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2020
On the contrary, I am happy that the abuse majority of Nigerians do on their vehicles is increasing job opportunities for some people going, increasing income for vehicle part dealers and auto Electricians/Mechanics, etc.

I wouldn't bother to save someone or anyone that doesn't want to be saved. If they like, let them start using Grease in place of 20w-50 in their engines. Mental poverty is a deadly disease, because an infected man can only think and act illogical.

I said few years ago, There Is Something Wrong With A Black Man.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ivoryhouse(m): 5:08pm On Mar 16, 2020
Harsh! Savage! But truth! Haha, guy take it easy

Ikenna351:
On the contrary, I am happy that the abuse majority of Nigerians do on their vehicles is increasing job opportunities for some people going, increasing income for vehicle part dealers and auto Electricians/Mechanics, etc.

I wouldn't bother to save someone or anyone that doesn't want to be saved. If they like, let them start using Grease in place of 20w-50 in their engines. Mental poverty is a deadly disease, because an infected man can only think and act illogical.

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by sooperrescue(m): 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2020
Ikenna351:

Lion King, happy new year. That's not the right attitude. Apart from Dru that sells oils, we are the stakeholders that will determine the way forward. Pressure on Total has yielded 5w30 and 0w20 engine oil to their local stable. It is a forward process. Once cars 45 stabilized their cars import business, our used cars will be sold out for peanuts and it will dawn on us all that there is no cut corners in the maintenance of cars in the country.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by sooperrescue(m): 6:53pm On Mar 16, 2020
9icetoo:

I've mentioned it on Nairaland before. The dealerships are killing cars.
The oil I saw them using to service engines and transmissions was just unbelievable.
Imagine pouring Dozzy transmission oil into a 2015 Kia Rio auto transmission. Incredible. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I saw several Kia Rio's with blown engines. I mean with connecting rods sticking out of the blocks and some with piston and cylinder scouring so bad that you'd think something threw a grinding stone into the engine.

Yet people still think new engines are fine with 20w50. For temporary use, it is. For long term use, you are killing your engine slowly.

Old engines may be fine with it, if the manufacturer recommends it.

No wonder engines are shipped on a daily basis in and out of Ladipo.
Just take a trip to the elizade warehouse at Oregon and you will see the reason why they are using 20w50. The cars should go for new ones to join the road trip.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Ikenna351(m): 8:40pm On Mar 16, 2020
sooperrescue:

Lion King, happy new year. That's not the right attitude. Apart from Dru that sells oils, we are the stakeholders that will determine the way forward. Pressure on Total has yielded 5w30 and 0w20 engine oil to their local stable. It is a forward process. Once cars 45 stabilized their cars import business, our used cars will be sold out for peanuts and it will dawn on us all that there is no cut corners in the maintenance of cars in the country.

I am not politically correct. So don't expect my perspective on this subject to be.

Whatever pressure you had on Total did not yield any fruit for Lion users (At least, not yet). The Total 5w-30 you talked about now available in Nigeria (Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w-30) is not for Peugeot Engines. Peugeot didn't recommended that oil for any of their Engines. The Peugeot recommended 5W-30 oils from Total (about 4-5 of them) are yet to be available in Nigeria. I have been trying to get contact of Total Nigeria management on this subject, but yet to succeed. Until then.

I have no problem with Total Nigeria. Nigerians are not ready yet to switch to oils for modern Engines in their modern vehicles. For that, Total has to sell what sells. Until one convinces them or a test shows that the new products will be accepted if introduced into Nigeria. They have done similar tests before and later pulled the products out of the market for no one was buying.

Even new Peugeot 508 users buy 20w-50 oils from Total stations, even though there are more quality Total Engine oils staring at them on the shelves while looking for the cheapest among them to buy. This is a car that cost about 20m naira and in their mind, it's wise & better to buy & use the 20w-50 in their 2018 engines, an Engine oil the 1968 Peugeot 504 users use. If logic doesn't tell them there has to be a difference between the oils both engines can use and reasons why some oils are more expensive than others, then their mental poverty might be difficult to cure. It's like, they would rather spend 5k every 3 months on 20w-50 and spend about 2m naira to replace the Engine in 6 months - 2 years time, than spend 15k once a year on oil to keep the Engine in good state for the next 10 - 30 years.

The nightmares of majority of Nigerians that abuse their vehicles enriches some Nigerians positively. The more they kill their Engines and automatic transmissions, the higher the number of used Engines and auto gearboxes import increases, and the more money dealers make. Local Mechanics are increasing daily, based on demands for the market (more demands in replacing & rebuilding Engines and/or auto gearboxes daily). These are legitimate businesses. What's wrong with that?

Anyone that doesn't want to join that statistics knows what to do. Or you continue to rationalize why abusing your vehicle is in your best interest and continue to doom yourself.

A man who wants to be saved will first stretch his hand to be grabbed out. While others fold their arms and blame everyone and everything for putting them in that position while they continue to drown. Forcing yourself to save someone who doesn't want to be saved will drag you both deep under.

I honestly don't care about the misery they go through in the hands of their abused vehicles. We all have same options to choose from. I logically choose mine while they illogically continue to choose theirs.

Their negative experiences are producing positive ones for the Nigerian part dealers and auto Electricians/Mechanics. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not. That's how universe work.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Another Auto Assembly Plant Births In Enugu / Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / Computerised Vehincle Inspection Center Takes Off In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.