Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... (18624 Views)

20W50 Oils! Read And Stop Demonizing It. / Can I Change From 20w50 To 5w20 / Best 20W50 Engine Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by thebigkendo(m): 11:22am On Sep 10, 2019
dru23:

Funny enough some higher model cars manual tells you can change oil at longer interval.. If using Full synthetic oil and it can be up to 10k miles ...we had this discussion before . I posted a Toyota manual that says so ...have to look again

12k??
But we are speaking generally..

We know most of your target uber driver customers are not on "higher model cars"
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 11:52am On Sep 10, 2019
thebigkendo:

12k??
But we are speaking generally..

We know most of your target uber driver customers are not on "higher model cars"

Very good point.. Mobil has high mileage and regular extended performance oil.. The high mileage will be suitable for older cars with high miles..

1. The first picture is very suitable for modern engines with low miles. Even if the car is brand new from the factory ,it is ok ,now depending on your driving condition, you may do oil change before the 15k miles is up ....maybe 10k miles or so ....this is what I will do ..

2. Second picture... highly suitable for high miles cars that are over 75k miles ,. The extra additives will up seal up any open valves and give it more lubrication ... old engine are prone to worn out pistons .. So u need better lube to avoid the pistons grinding...

3. The high mileage oil is what I use on all my uber cars including cars that are over 10 years old.. ....

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Ikenna351(m): 12:34pm On Sep 10, 2019
dru23:

Obviously you and ikenna351 know a lot better than the manufacture. Maybe you guys should start building your own engine..

PS.. Imaging somebody giving out there 2015 range rover for you to help do oil change... so 20w50 u go use for a 30million naira car....?

So someone (anonymous) claimed I abuse my (modern) lion with wrong Engine oil (20w-50) and you accepted he/she was telling the truth with no critical thinking of you if he was lying or telling the truth about me? So, to you, whatever anyone says about another man must be the truth?

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Ikenna351(m): 12:35pm On Sep 10, 2019
mammanbawa:

Experience is the best teacher
Over the years I've used numerous cars from different brands and none of them has failed me or the subsequent owners
Ikenna351 can bear witness to how good the 20w 50 is on his pug

I don't know what you are talking about. 20w-50 oil grade has never smelled my ES or modern Peugeot engines since I own them. If you are expecting me to bear wrong witness to your position on Engine oils on modern/recently produced lions, I will do the opposite.

Thread like this is why I advise anyone buying Nigerian used lions to always be prepared, for he/she is likely to replace the Engine, automatic gearbox or both sooner than expected. For non-Nigerians who follow me online and have asked me on few occasions if I was exaggerating with my position on how abusive Nigerians are towards their cars (car killers), this thread should serve as proof you are looking for, considering the people on this forum section are Nigerians expected to know better and guide the rest. It shouldn't be a surprise that the rate at which used/tokunbo Engines & automatic gearboxes sell in Nigeria is almost higher than that of quick wearable parts like brake pads.

Any Nigerian that chooses to run 20w-50 oil grade in their healthy EW, ES, TU, VTi, THP and PureTech modern Peugeot engines is an Engine killer. They would claim they have been running 20w-50 in these Engines for years with no issues until they bring their lions to you for diagnosis/repairs and one wonders what they considered "No issues" on already weak/dead Engines. Some of these lions with "no Engine issues" can't even climb small hills effortlessly without shifting down to almost the lowest gear (very low compression due to excessive wear of the cylinders). Some can't go beyond 500 km without topping up with more than a liter of oil. The level of ignorance among Nigerians on proper car maintenance is overwhelming.

Even as late as the '60s, '70s, including the '80s, Peugeot recommended 10w-40 oil grade for their X & Z Engine series (yes, I am talking about the 504s & co). Yes, those Engines can run well with 20w-50 because of their design/build to withstand such, but not with the modern lion Engines that have almost zero tolerance for the sake of fuel economy the majority demand.

Modern Peugeot engines cooling systems run as hot as 110 degree Celsius as normal. Their Engines and radiator Cooling fans start spinning at low speed from 97 - 98 degree Celsius for most of them. These Engines were/are designed to run this hot yet most Nigerians still claim our climate are too hot for these Engines, hence their use of thicker oil meant to run with 110 degree Celsius with the recommended oil grades. Not saying ambient temperature doesn't matter, but saying that doesn't call for 20w-50 on these modern lion Engines still, based on their designs.

My D9 V6 StickShift is 20 years old with over 200,000 km mileage and still run on Total Quartz 9000 5w-40 (same Engine & gearbox), and use the lion in the hotter part of Nigeria (North). Those who were privileged to drive the lion recently kept asking me if mine was built differently to perform better than other D9 V6.

You have the choice to use whatever you want in your engine as fluid, but do not use my name to mislead people. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USE OF 20W-50 OIL GRADE IN MODERN PEUGEOT ENGINES. It would make sense to use it on already dead/weak Engine to borrow sometime before Engine packs up, but not in a healthy one.

Use Your Critical Mind.

5 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mammanbawa: 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2019
Ikenna351:

I don't know what you are talking about. 20w-50 oil grade has never smelled my ES or modern Peugeot engines since I own them. If you are expecting me to bear wrong witness to your position on Engine oils on modern/recently produced lions, I will do the opposite.

Thread like this is why I advise anyone buying Nigerian used lions to always be prepared, for he/she is likely to replace the Engine, automatic gearbox or both sooner than expected. For non-Nigerians who follow me online and have asked me on few occasions if I was exaggerating with my position on how abusive Nigerians are towards their cars (car killers), this thread should serve as proof you are looking for, considering the people on this forum section are Nigerians expected to know better and guide the rest. It shouldn't be a surprise that the rate at which used/tokunbo Engines & automatic gearboxes sell in Nigeria is almost higher than that of quick wearable parts like brake pads.

Any Nigerian that chooses to run 20w-50 oil grade in their healthy EW, ES, TU, VTi, THP and PureTech modern Peugeot engines is an Engine killer. They would claim they have been running 20w-50 in these Engines for years with no issues until they bring their lions to you for diagnosis/repairs and one wonders what they considered "No issues" on already weak/dead Engines. Some of these lions with "no Engine issues" can't even climb small hills effortlessly without shifting down to almost the lowest gear (very low compression due to excessive wear of the cylinders). Some can't go beyond 500 km without topping up with more than a liter of oil. The level of ignorance among Nigerians on proper car maintenance is overwhelming.

Even as late as the '60s, '70s, including the '80s, Peugeot recommended 10w-40 oil grade for their X & Z Engine series (yes, I am talking about the 504s & co). Yes, those Engines can run well with 20w-50 because of their design/build to withstand such, but not with the modern lion Engines that have almost zero tolerance for the sake of fuel economy the majority demand.

Modern Peugeot engines cooling systems run as hot as 110 degree Celsius as normal. Their Engines and radiator Cooling fans start spinning at low speed from 97 - 98 degree Celsius for most of them. These Engines were/are designed to run this hot yet most Nigerians still claim our climate are too hot for these Engines, hence their use of thicker oil meant to run with 110 degree Celsius with the recommended oil grades. Not saying ambient temperature doesn't matter, but saying that doesn't call for 20w-50 on these modern lion Engines still, based on their designs.

My D9 V6 StickShift is 20 years old with over 200,000 km mileage and still run on Total Quartz 9000 5w-40 (same Engine & gearbox), and use the lion in the hotter part of Nigeria (North). Those who were privileged to drive the lion recently kept asking me if mine was built differently to perform better than other D9 V6.

You have the choice to use whatever you want in your engine as fluid, but do not use my name to mislead people. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USE OF 20W-50 OIL GRADE IN MODERN PEUGEOT ENGINES. It would make sense to use it on already dead/weak Engine to borrow sometime before Engine packs up, but not in a healthy one.

Use Your Critical Mind.

Noted
There was a post you made sometime ago
I thought you mentioned the 20w 50
My bad
Cheers
I'm also a lion user
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Kamalu5258(m): 2:31pm On Sep 10, 2019
You people are funny in this thread oh, I see lots of people recommending different types of oils for our "hot" weather. Have you been to Pennsylvania during summer? You as a Nigerian man will faint from the heat wave!! Do you think Nigeria is as Hot a Qatar or UAE? But technicians there still use manufacturers recommended oil grades. Someone talked about a Kia here, I don't know of the Sorento, but my 2014 Kia Rio has 20w50 as the recommended oil for it so I used it, My 2003 Toyota Camry requires 5w30, so I use it, My Peugeot 607 says I should use Total Quartz 7000 or Quartz 9000, so I used the recommended oils. For those saying that corolla or camry engines short oil when they use 5w30 is because Toyota Camry and Corollas produced pre-2009 usually short engine oil once they get up to 200,000 miles, which means that the engine needs a rebuild at that mileage, that is why they ship so many of them down here because the cost of rebuilding the engine will buy another car, so that ship them to Africa for y'all to Abuse. And those saying that they bought Brand new Toyotas and are using 20w50non them, y'all are just a bunch of idiots who shouldn't even go near a car.

4 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Kamalu5258(m): 2:32pm On Sep 10, 2019
You need to be arrested for using 20w50 on a lion
mammanbawa:

Noted
There was a post you made sometime ago
I thought you mentioned the 20w 50
My bad
Cheers
I'm also a lion user
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Xneg: 2:51pm On Sep 10, 2019
dru23:

Funny enough some higher model cars manual tells you can change oil at longer interval.. If using Full synthetic oil and it can be up to 10k miles ...we had this discussion before . I posted a Toyota manual that says so ...have to look again

Pls can you post a manual that advice upto 10k before change. Tnx, I use full synthetic for my Lexus and I don't exceed 5k.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Xneg: 2:56pm On Sep 10, 2019
Kamalu5258:
You people are funny in this thread oh, I see lots of people recommending different types of oils for our "hot" weather. Have you been to Pennsylvania during summer? You as a Nigerian man will faint from the heat wave!! Do you think Nigeria is as Hot a Qatar or UAE? But technicians there still use manufacturers recommended oil grades. Someone talked about a Kia here, I don't know of the Sorento, but my 2014 Kia Rio has 20w50 as the recommended oil for it so I used it, My 2003 Toyota Camry requires 5w30, so I use it, My Peugeot 607 says I should use Total Quartz 7000 or Quartz 9000, so I used the recommended oils. For those saying that corolla or camry engines short oil when they use 5w30 is because Toyota Camry and Corollas produced pre-2009 usually short engine oil once they get up to 200,000 miles, which means that the engine needs a rebuild at that mileage, that is why they ship so many of them down here because the cost of rebuilding the engine will buy another car, so that ship them to Africa for y'all to Abuse. And those saying that they bought Brand new Toyotas and are using 20w50non them, y'all are just a bunch of idiots who shouldn't even go near a car.

If you have 3 cars, it means you are an adult, I don't think you have to insult people just to make a point. Calling them idiot doesn't make any sense.

9 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 3:16pm On Sep 10, 2019
Xneg:

Pls can you post a manual that advice upto 10k before change. Tnx, I use full synthetic for my Lexus and I don't exceed 5k.

Plz read and digest ....

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 3:19pm On Sep 10, 2019
Ikenna351:

Use Your Critical Mind.

You shall live long and prosper .....
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mammanbawa: 3:23pm On Sep 10, 2019
Kamalu5258:
You need to be arrested for using 20w50 on a lion

You can try
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by thebigkendo(m): 4:25pm On Sep 10, 2019
dru23:

Plz read and digest ....

I hope you also read & digest the part I marked..

In other words... Any motor that 5w-20 mineral oil is recommended, whether you like use miracle oil, 5000 miles interval is still adviced grin grin grin

Still waiting for the 12k miles recommendation sha grin grin

As for the special operating conditions enh.. I want to believe almost everybody driving in Lagos falls under that condition, Uber drivers especially grin grin

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 5:18pm On Sep 10, 2019
thebigkendo:

I hope you also read & digest the part I marked..

In other words... Any motor that 5w-20 mineral oil is recommended, whether you like use miracle oil, 5000 miles interval is still adviced grin grin grin

Still waiting for the 12k miles recommendation sha grin grin

As for the special operating conditions enh.. I want to believe almost everybody driving in Lagos falls under that condition, Uber drivers especially grin grin

Either way USA Castrol Full synthetic will be available for sales to all my customers next week for sure........
Jealousy no go kill you.... I go take all your oyel customers

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Kamalu5258(m): 5:28pm On Sep 10, 2019
I will say it again whoever buys a brand new car that recommends some other grade of oil, but he or she decides to use cheap 20w50 oyel is a capital [b][/b]IDIOT
Xneg:

If you have 3 cars, it means you are an adult, I don't think you have to insult people just to make a point. Calling them idiot doesn't make any sense.

2 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by thebigkendo(m): 6:22pm On Sep 10, 2019
dru23:

Either way USA Castrol Full synthetic will be available for sales to all my customers next week for sure........
Jealousy no go kill you.... I go take all your oyel customers

My oyel customers?? Do you deal in crude oil? Clown grin grin grin
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Xneg: 6:45pm On Sep 10, 2019
Kamalu5258:
I will say it again whoever buys a brand new car that recommends some other grade of oil, but he or she decides to use cheap 20w50 oyel is a capital [b][/b]IDIOT

Dru23 has been able to make his point and also educate us without insulting people that think otherwise. Anyway we all have different upbringing.

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 8:32pm On Sep 10, 2019
thebigkendo:

My oyel customers?? Do you deal in crude oil? Clown grin grin grin

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 1:44pm On Sep 11, 2019
thebigkendo:

I said this some weeks back in another of your thread
https://www.nairaland.com/5337726/new-items-alert-mobil-1/1#81759782

We know all this oil advice you keep giving is for the money and nothing else..
If you can get "amelica" 20w-50 for less than 4500.. Am sure you market will boom!!

Lol.......your statement sounds like someone suffering from acute poverty syndrome.... Once you are able to get your broke
*ss of nairaland maybe than you can import your own oyel
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by DukeNija(m): 3:36pm On Sep 11, 2019
dru23:

Very good point.. Mobil has high mileage and regular extended performance oil.. The high mileage will be suitable for older cars with high miles..

1. The first picture is very suitable for modern engines with low miles. Even if the car is brand new from the factory ,it is ok ,now depending on your driving condition, you may do oil change before the 15k miles is up ....maybe 10k miles or so ....this is what I will do ..

2. Second picture... highly suitable for high miles cars that are over 75k miles ,. The extra additives will up seal up any open valves and give it more lubrication ... old engine are prone to worn out pistons .. So u need better lube to avoid the pistons grinding...

3. The high mileage oil is what I use on all my uber cars including cars that are over 10 years old.. ....

Any idea where one can get the high mileage M1 5w30?
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by thebigkendo(m): 6:02pm On Sep 11, 2019
dru23:

Lol.......your statement sounds like someone suffering from acute poverty syndrome.... Once you are able to get your broke
*ss of nairaland maybe than you can import your own oyel

Sorry sir, Rich *ss Dru, I don't need to import my own oyel... I buy my CONVENTIONAL 5w-20 oyel from Aunty Radu & my engine internals are still squeaky clean grin grin grin

Alot of your prospective customers require 20W-50, way more than those that buy your Mobil 1 miracle oil, We both know you are here to serve the customers grin grin grin

You started with Advanced full synthetic , now its Full synthetic .. It will get the Synthetic blend, then conventional 5w grade, than lastly 20w-50 grin grin

A light bulb came to my head and Saud since naija want wreck their engine faster, maybe I should help them by selling 20w50 oil ...omo I search tired and I couldnt get some to buy in large quantities like I do with my other Mobil 1 extended performance... I was sad o...

Your words...not mine bro

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 7:50pm On Sep 11, 2019
thebigkendo:

Sorry sir, Rich *ss Dru, I don't need to import my own oyel... I buy my CONVENTIONAL 5w-20 oyel from Aunty Radu & my engine internals are still squeaky clean grin grin grin

Alot of your prospective customers require 20W-50, way more than those that buy your Mobil 1 miracle oil, We both know you are here to serve the customers grin grin grin

You started with Advanced full synthetic , now its Full synthetic .. It will get the Synthetic blend, then conventional 5w grade, than lastly 20w-50 grin grin

Lol out loud bro ......very unfortunately I will never take your advice bro ...... I will go with the pros advice bro .. 20w50 lol ...... grin stay bless up bro ..... > cool

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 7:56pm On Sep 11, 2019
DukeNija:

Any idea where one can get the high mileage M1 5w30?

Am hoping early October......
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 8:06pm On Sep 11, 2019
thebigkendo:

Conventional oil for high miles cars especially tokunbo cars..lol good luck bro grin grin... ...

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 8:11pm On Sep 11, 2019
thebigkendo:

I said for Nigerians that wants to wreck their cars with 20w50 that I will start selling it .... I dont think English is your first language bro grin..poor guy grin

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 8:19pm On Sep 11, 2019
ascendo:

For engine manufactured from 2008 to 2012, part synthetic is better ie like 10W40...but from 2013 upwards...its strictly synthetic ie 0W20, 5W30, 5W40...

I can help you get all these if need be..

I don't believe in any synthetic blend bro ... it is either full or conventional oil.... Full synthetic is a goal........even Aunty Rad said part synthetic is a scam .....

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by thebigkendo(m): 8:39pm On Sep 11, 2019
dru23:

I said for Nigerians that wants to wreck their cars with 20w50 that I will start selling it .... I dont think English is your first language bro grin..poor guy grin

Quit unfortunate.. Its you that English is "hard"ing sir grin

You should also Google the meaning of Prospective customers
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by thebigkendo(m): 8:46pm On Sep 11, 2019
dru23:

Lol out loud bro ......very unfortunately I will never take your advice bro ...... I will go with the pros advice bro .. 20w50 lol ...... grin stay bless up bro ..... > cool

You did not need my advice to go castrol grin grin..
Your customers advice grin grin

And you did not need my advice to get the "20w-50 light bulb" moment also..
Money talk.. Bullshit works
Money talks, dru brings amelica conventional oil for loyal customers grin grin
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 8:57pm On Sep 11, 2019
thebigkendo:

Poor guy. Have you sold that frame bed u want sell for 25k cool..my brother do you joor .....like Tamaya said.. " This life I can't come and kill myself ".. Am moving forward with life.. I don't know about you...can't kill myself about a guy that want to sell bed frame for 25k... cool... ....

PS.. I want to give a big shout out to you for your free advertise. tongue. My car talk views has reach up to 1k views... enough views to get my products out there... thank you brother you shall live long.. And again USA Castrol will be available starting next week ,am waiting for customs to officially clear my goods...
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by thebigkendo(m): 9:01pm On Sep 11, 2019
dru23:

Poor guy. Have you sold that frame bed u want sell for 25k cool..my brother do you joor .....like Tamaya said.. " This life I can't come and kill myself ".. Am moving forward with life.. I don't know about you...can't kill myself about a guy that want to sell bed frame for 25k... cool...

Dru what did you take?
Me selling bed Frame?? Are you okay? grin grin grin grin
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 9:06pm On Sep 11, 2019
thebigkendo:

Whether you call am amelica or American o .. The point is we are there, whether legally or not we dey the amelica grin

I can't come and kill myself o this life o
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 9:10pm On Sep 11, 2019
thebigkendo:

Quit unfortunate.. Its you that English is "hard"ing sir grin

You should also Google the meaning of Prospective customers

One thing about advertising is to get your products out there to as many people as you can .. I will welcome prospective customers anytime.. Prospective customers can turn to your loyal customers... so it is not a bad thing ....you go school at all grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Another Auto Assembly Plant Births In Enugu / Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / Computerised Vehincle Inspection Center Takes Off In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.