Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks (40871 Views)

Xenophobic Attacks: Wizkid Slams Celebrities For Dumb Stupid Comments / Toke Makinwa Blasted On Social Media Over Comment On Xenophobic Attacks / Daddy Freeze Boycotts South African Products Over Xenophobic Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by xynerise: 10:00am On Sep 10, 2019
Ishilove:

Nope. I was still in my mother's womb

For real? Hmmm... smiley
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Daviddson(m): 10:41am On Sep 10, 2019
Ishilove:

Nope. I was still in my mother's womb
That's not true. undecided You were about 4 years plus then.
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by IbrahimSkiba(f): 10:53am On Sep 10, 2019
Ishilove:

Shooting your shot?? I'm flattered but I'll pass. I'm not gay.

I thought you were a dude I

I'm sorry ma'am
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Ishilove: 11:15am On Sep 10, 2019
IbrahimSkiba:

I thought you were a dude I

I'm sorry ma'am
I can start swing both ways, starting with you.
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Ishilove: 11:16am On Sep 10, 2019
Daviddson:
That's not true. undecided You were about 4 years plus then.
Tah! Says who?? I was born in 1990, for Gad's sakes! angry
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Ishilove: 11:17am On Sep 10, 2019
xynerise:

For real? Hmmm... smiley
smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Daviddson(m): 11:41am On Sep 10, 2019
Ishilove:

Tah! Says who?? I was born in 1990, for Gad's sakes! angry
"Gad", not Zebulun. I see.
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Yankee101: 11:47am On Sep 10, 2019
Did she post anything when south africans were burning people and shops?
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by ifyboy60(m): 11:54am On Sep 10, 2019
[quote author=Saheed9 post=82085509]Own goal is a goal[/quotex]

Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by pastie(m): 11:55am On Sep 10, 2019
iAudio:
most of them here were born from 1990. The day I found out I was arguing with someone who was about to write WAEC was the day I gave up. I don't argue with them anymore. No matter how ignorant a comment is, I will just say "yes it's true" .
Age has nothing to do with intellectual understanding or a prerequisite for argument. many old folks could be as dumb as shitt

1 Like

Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by BluePrincee: 12:03pm On Sep 10, 2019
overdrive:
Thank you mr dj for playing my song. Thank you thank you
I am burning up, am burning up, my heart catch fire...

Oga you don old cheesy
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Bruno3000(m): 12:06pm On Sep 10, 2019
grin
iAudio:
most of them here were born from 1990. The day I found out I was arguing with someone who was about to write WAEC was the day I gave up. I don't argue with them anymore. No matter how ignorant a comment is, I will just say "yes it's true" .
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 10, 2019
Hmm, they even raped the mannequins, dont know why every thing south has a negative connotation, the only positive thing south is south korea.

1 Like

Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Ishilove: 12:13pm On Sep 10, 2019
Daviddson:
"Gad", not Zebulun. I see.
Would you have preferred I used Naphtali?
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Daviddson(m): 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2019
Ishilove:

Would you have preferred I used Naphtali?
LOL. I caught you there.grin Well, do have a nice day.
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by naptu2: 1:15pm On Sep 10, 2019
Yvonne Chaka Chaka was very popular in Nigeria in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I bought her cassette sometime between 1986 and 1988 because my baby cousins were crazy about her (I can still hear them singing her songs ).
She had a string of hits, including

1) Umqombothi

2) I'm Burning Up

3) Thank You Mr DJ

4) I Fight For Freedom

5) From Me To You

6) Winning

Do you know that I didn't know what that last song was about until I heard my baby cousins sing it? What was written on the cassette was, "I'm Winning My Dear Love" and so what I heard when I played it was, "I'm winning winning my dear love". Then I heard my baby cousins sing, "A Winnie Winnie, Mandela".
Do you know that they were right? The song is actually about Winnie Mandela, but she didn't want apartheid era censors to ban it, so she gave it a different title.

She featured in a Pepsi TV commercial that had many stars. She and Femi Kuti were the biggest stars in the advert, but there were other stars in it. I think Charlie Boy was also in that commercial. The tagline was something like, "A New African Generation" or something like that. The advert was first shown in 1989.

She also performed at a Pepsi concert at the Tafawa Balewa Square in 1990. Femi Kuti and many of the stars that featured in the advert also performed at the concert.

The organisers of the concert had one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. The concert was free and they gave every member of the audience a free bottle of Pepsi. These were glass bottles!

Along the line one of the artistes angered the audience and they started throwing glass bottles on the stage. The artiste had to flee and Femi Kuti came out to pacify the crowd.

Yvonne Chaka Chaka was less visible in Nigeria by the mid-1990s. It seemed as if Brenda Fassie had taken her place. There was always at least one South African female singer that was popular in Nigeria. There was Miriam Makeba, then Yvonne Chaka Chaka and then by the mid-90s it seemed like Brenda Fassie had displaced Yvonne Chaka Chaka. Brenda Fassie had hits like Ag Shame Lovey and It's Your Wedding Day.

Yvonne Chaka Chaka came to Nigeria c1996 to perform at a concert that was staged by Mariam Abacha. A Nigerian journalist asked her why she disappeared from the scene (how come she hasn't had any hits in Nigeria in a long time). She said that she stopped releasing her songs in Nigeria because of piracy. She said that she made a lot of money in Nigeria in the 1980s, but that the money dried up in the 1990s, yet her songs were everywhere. She did her investigation and discovered that her songs were being pirated, so she decided to stop releasing songs in Nigeria.

She came to perform in Nigeria again in the early or mid-2000s, when Obasanjo was president.

2 Likes

Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Carlyboi(m): 3:07pm On Sep 10, 2019
naptu2:
Yvonne Chaka Chaka was very popular in Nigeria in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I bought her cassette sometime between 1986 and 1988 because my baby cousins were crazy about her (I can still hear them singing her songs ).
She had a string of hits, including

1) Umqombothi

2) I'm Burning Up

3) Thank You Mr DJ

4) I Fight For Freedom

5) From Me To You

6) Winning

Do you know that I didn't know what that last song was about until I heard my baby cousins sing it? What was written on the cassette was, "I'm Winning My Dear Love" and so what I heard when I played it was, "I'm winning winning my dear love". Then I heard my baby cousins sing, "A Winnie Winnie, Mandela".
Do you know that they were right? The song is actually about Winnie Mandela, but she didn't want apartheid era censors to ban it, so she gave it a different title.

She featured in a Pepsi TV commercial that had many stars. She and Femi Kuti were the biggest stars in the advert, but there were other stars in it. I think Charlie Boy was also in that commercial. The tagline was something like, "A New African Generation" or something like that. The advert was first shown in 1989.

She also performed at a Pepsi concert at the Tafawa Balewa Square in 1990. Femi Kuti and many of the stars that featured in the advert also performed at the concert.

The organisers of the concert had one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. The concert was free and they gave every member of the audience a free bottle of Pepsi. These were glass bottles!

Along the line one of the artistes angered the audience and they started throwing glass bottles on the stage. The artiste had to flee and Femi Kuti came out to pacify the crowd.

Yvonne Chaka Chaka was less visible in Nigeria by the mid-1990s. It seemed as if Brenda Fassie had taken her place. There was always at least one South African female singer that was popular in Nigeria. There was Miriam Makeba, then Yvonne Chaka Chaka and then by the mid-90s it seemed like Brenda Fassie had displaced Yvonne Chaka Chaka. Brenda Fassie had hits like Ag Shame Lovey and It's Your Wedding Day.

Yvonne Chaka Chaka came to Nigeria c1996 to perform at a concert that was staged by Mariam Abacha. A Nigerian journalist asked her why she disappeared from the scene (how come she hasn't had any hits in Nigeria in a long time). She said that she stopped releasing her songs in Nigeria because of piracy. She said that she made a lot of money in Nigeria in the 1980s, but that the money dried up in the 1990s, yet her songs were everywhere. She did her investigation and discovered that her songs were being pirated, so she decided to stop releasing songs in Nigeria.

She came to perform in Nigeria again in the early or mid-2000s, when Obasanjo was president.
I know all these South African acts you mentioned I never knew she unqombomthi song is hers it was used in hotel Rwanda I knew the Mr do song too and Brenda fassie was quite popular before she died of aids or something they have always had talented musicians too tho Miriam makeba is highly respected too!Mama Africa!
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by naptu2: 3:26pm On Sep 10, 2019
Carlyboi:
I know all these South African acts you mentioned I never knew she unqombomthi song is hers it was used in hotel Rwanda I knew the Mr do song too and Brenda fassie was quite popular before she died of aids or something they have always had talented musicians too tho Miriam makeba is highly respected too!Mama Africa!

Umqombothi was her first hit. It was her most famous song and it made her famous in Nigeria.

This song below was Brenda Fassie's first hit in Nigeria. It was very popular with children because it is a sing along and also because of the dance steps.

Brenda Fassie - AG Shame Lovey (1987).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocmywGu5LY4
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by Carlyboi(m): 3:28pm On Sep 10, 2019
Hmmm
naptu2:

Umqombothi was her first hit. It was her most famous song and it made her famous in Nigeria.

This song below was Brenda Fassie's first hit in Nigeria. It was very popular with children because it is a sing along and also because of the dance steps. Oh ok thx!btw I think I know the sandy dovey song you mentioned

Brenda Fassie - AG Shame Lovey (1987).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocmywGu5LY4
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by renewable1(m): 3:33pm On Sep 10, 2019
Ain't you tired of using generator? Are you not tired of causing noise pollution in your neighborhood? Are you not tired of spending too much fuel and generator maintenance?

We have a unique 1kva solar package for 140k that will power your basic entertainment gadgets.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by DelphiOracle(m): 5:02pm On Sep 10, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It's a shame if this is the shop of the daughter of a whole Yvonne Shaka Shaka; The Princess of Africa.
A lady who performed for the Queen of England.

Maybe she should go and see Imade and Boluwatife's shops.
is she complaining? She's happy with that simple life.
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by wakatrends: 5:05pm On Sep 10, 2019
BBNaija 2019: Tacha, Mike, Seyi, Khafi Up For Eviction

Housemates, Khafi Kareem, Mike Edwards, Tacha Akide and Seyi Awolowo are up for possible eviction.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the list was announced on Monday night in the ongoing BBNaija season four.

SEE HERE

https://wakatrends.com/bbnaija/bbnaija-2019-tacha-mike-seyi-khafi-eviction/

https://wakatrends.com/bbnaija/bbnaija-2019-tacha-mike-seyi-khafi-eviction/
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by benjanny(m): 4:29am On Sep 11, 2019
Well I love Yvonne Chaka Chaka.Ugombothi
Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by budaatum: 11:59am On Sep 11, 2019
naptu2:
This was one of the biggest hits in Nigeria in 1986.

Yvonne Chaka Chaka - Umqombothi (1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl-kqz8CWaU
I'm amazed no one has branded beer Umqombothi!

Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by naptu2: 1:57pm On Sep 11, 2019
budaatum:

I'm amazed no one has branded beer Umqombothi!

It's just like there are no popular drinks in Nigeria branded "Brukutu", "Tombo Liquor" or "Ogogoro".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yvonne Chaka Chaka's Daughter Shop Looted During Xenophobic Attacks by catalan15(m): 1:36pm On Sep 16, 2019
Saheed9:
Own goal is a goal
Yes Now...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ten Most Influential Musicians In Nigeria 2016 / Cossy Ojiakor Leaves The Hospital After Successful Leg Surgery (Photos) / Marvis Clubs With 2Baba, Peter Okoye, Ice Prince & Denrele At Joker Club Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.