Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? (39520 Views)

What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos / I Recall Growing Up Using This Torchlight As A Source Of Light / Funny Moment While Growing Up In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Vasgas: 7:57am On Sep 21, 2019
visiontech24:
HUNGER as a punishement is also used.

I can relate with this ooooo,
Seriously, it was one of mum effective tool back then oo, her popular quote is "hand wey no fit work d mouth no go chop"
After soccer all through the day going home becomes a problem because no food for me that night.
Although she later stop using that tool.
We still laugh over it today.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by may320: 7:57am On Sep 21, 2019
visiontech24:
HUNGER as a punishement is also used.
My mum doesnt punish us with hunger, we were the one that will refuse to eat after 'resetting', but would stylishly go and eat the food later.
She would always keep your food for you. grin

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Small080(m): 8:00am On Sep 21, 2019
Chai my dad used cane and its once in a while but my mum! Ehn! That woman is a war general she used all weapons grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by nicepoker101(m): 8:02am On Sep 21, 2019
All of the above. The last time he tried it I was just defending and blocking everything. He was surprised. The next thing we sat down and started laughing. grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by udemzyudex(m): 8:03am On Sep 21, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

The only reason I turned out perfect in life is because my parents meted out all of the above on me.
They were even ingenious enough to use telephone wires as whip on my back any time I faltered when doing the Almighty pick-pin.

You turn out perfect? undecided how?
Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Duggedised12(f): 8:04am On Sep 21, 2019
Mynd44:

Brooms are used for sweeping. Toilets, floors, poop, pee, everything. It is conceivable that part of it will stick to the broomsticks.

Flogging with Brooks sometimes can have the extremities of the broom breaking and sticking into the skin of the victim and each dirt on the sticks get injected into the skin
actually this happened to our former neighbor. Her mum beat her with a broom then,they neglected the hand ,she too didnt care ,it started bringing pus and smelling. It took a year for that hand to finally heal.

I will never encourage anyone to use broom,never.The highest my mum did was slippers but for me i think koboko is more durable and comes in handy, canes and turning stick can break.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by millenniumboy: 8:04am On Sep 21, 2019
grin infact all was used on me even plastic hanger but it didnt kill me rather made me a better person

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Ujahson85(m): 8:05am On Sep 21, 2019
[quote author=goodmorning40 post=82255231]Broom on a child?
Its an abomination
Abomi gini? Please let's stop the pretence and face reality. Some children can only understand that language.
Another unmentioned one is koboko, the animal skin used in the North
Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by nams77: 8:12am On Sep 21, 2019
Mynd44:

Brooms are used for sweeping. Toilets, floors, poop, pee, everything. It is conceivable that part of it will stick to the broomsticks.

Flogging with Brooks sometimes can have the extremities of the broom breaking and sticking into the skin of the victim and each dirt on the sticks get injected into the skin
Well let me explain better. If a broom stick gets embedded under the skin, it triggers an -immune response. The body see's the broom as a foreign object and deploys white blood cells like neutrophils, macrophage and phagocytes to try attack and neutralize the so called foreign object ( broom stick). The area becomes inflammed as a result of the battle there. It will become swollen, sore and even putrid.

Cc: nurse01

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 21, 2019
nurex01:
mynd44! Actually, I detest using broomsticks but can you prove to me the Infections it causes?

That should be pretty obvious. Imagine all the germs that brooms come in contact with (from sweeping Dirty house floors to verandas which may have animal poops and urine on it,to even washing the floors of dirty toilets and bathrooms).

Now brooms can break easily and penetrate the skin. The skin is the body's defence against germs and infections, but after those small "shrapnels" of broomsticks penetrate the skin bringing all those dirty germs alongside it, infections are certain to occur.
Is it clear now?.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Tenshades(m): 8:24am On Sep 21, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by jaxxy(m): 8:38am On Sep 21, 2019
Interesting times
Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Nobody: 8:41am On Sep 21, 2019
What are you wating for?
See what one of our Rose Glow Skincare students is doing with the skills she got within a few weeks....

Are you still there asking what and what skincare product o buy for your family?
Why not join the train and start making it yourself with pure organic and botanic ingredients.
You can also package and sell as you can see, it no different from what you throw money away to buy from big cosmetic shops.

Join the class today and be a formulator of all kinds of skincare and cosmetic products.

1 Share

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 21, 2019
My dad is an electrician back then,i chop 2.5mm wire tire grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by teebozz: 8:52am On Sep 21, 2019
Apprentices,mostly Mechanics dey chop dis one tired
Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by HimName: 8:59am On Sep 21, 2019
I remember the infamous Papa Saturday's upper cut.

Saturday jaw hear am that time grin

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by ashantitope: 9:02am On Sep 21, 2019
Toks2008:

You really make me laugh if my mom reset you brain I can assure you that in the next 3month your brain will be working fine if she grap your head under her laps and hold your two hands and now give you correct beating you will surely testify to the work of God I pray may her gentle soul rest in peace

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by tunary(m): 9:08am On Sep 21, 2019
Toks2008:
I will never forget the day the Alignment tool was used on me simply because I refused to wash plates when it was my turn......these days they will tag it Child abuse...If only they know the power and positive impact of strict discipline...Till date to leave my plate unwashed after eating scares me...GOD BLESS OUR MOTHERS
This is hilarious, so the pain from the alignment tool still scares you after many years

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by ajebuter(f): 9:23am On Sep 21, 2019
aljpimp:
Long Atori...no matter how fast you run, Atori will still leave some marks on your neck

Now, this is my generation..

Atori gigun generation..

It cost 5 kobo for my hood in ldunmota Lagos.. grin

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Fidelismaria: 9:25am On Sep 21, 2019
No wonder Nigerians are horrible people

Each and everyone of them have been abused as a child

All those beatings, all those so called discipline and punishment yet the country is in a state of despair

Nonsense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by searay(m): 9:26am On Sep 21, 2019
Non of the above. I think my Dad and Mum were training us as wrestlers. Slamming, kicking, punching, were the tools.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by midehi2(f): 9:27am On Sep 21, 2019
Where you wan see me beat, na on top mango tree i dey hang till i sneak enter house, not when my dad will dare anyone to touch me....my dad may you live long with many more blessings. Amen

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by BluntBoy(m): 9:28am On Sep 21, 2019
Yankiss:
NwaAmaikpe, who said you turned out good? grin

grin

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by BluntBoy(m): 9:33am On Sep 21, 2019
Afritop:
What about koboko

This was common in Muslim households. My parents never used it. But my dad threatened many times to buy it.

While I was growing up, we had a vegetation in our compound. Whenever we got into trouble, my dad would just go to the vegetation area and remove a flexible stem. They always looked like pankere, but not as thick.

I chopped pankere only in school. Never chopped koboko before.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 21, 2019
Mynd44:

It is an abomination for a reason.

Broomsticks tend to break and stay under the skin which causes infection and lead to serious medical issues. So yes, it is a bad tool for correction.

UP Didn't add the infamous pankere and koboko
very false, it causes shrinkage of the male organ according to my grandma
Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by BluntBoy(m): 9:42am On Sep 21, 2019
midehi2:
Where you wan see me beat, na on top mango tree i dey hang till i sneak enter house, not when my dad will dare anyone to touch me....my dad may you live long with many more blessings. Amen

Dads and their daughters sha. They used to stylishly spoil the girls.

My sister enjoyed that privilege too. No one would dare touch her whenever my dad was around.

No matter how much she abused you, as soon as you got up to teach the brat a lesson, my dad would just jejely get up, walk past you and go outside. Then, you know he was going to the vegetation to pluck a cane.

3 Likes

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by Mynd44: 9:49am On Sep 21, 2019
Goodbloke:
very false, it causes shrinkage of the male organ according to my grandma

A lot of taboos are not to be taken literally.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by JJOF(m): 10:15am On Sep 21, 2019
Toks2008:
If they used this on you then you must be proper Devil's child...

Fan belt
Bruh I wasn't too sturborn ooo, but my dad used that on me. I still remember those horrible moment. Thank God for growth.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by alexsoftwork(m): 10:34am On Sep 21, 2019
Hmmm nobody mention "kpankere"
Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by slowice(m): 10:57am On Sep 21, 2019
Who's this guy.... Why you want wound me with laugh na..... Wetin? Lol
Re: Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? by midnighter(f): 11:00am On Sep 21, 2019
Mynd44:

A lot of taboos are not to be taken literally.

probably a taboo by proxy..maybe they told them that shrinkage thing to stop them from using broom...to prevent that infection you were talking about...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

20 Of The Worlds' Most Amazing Coincidences / Dangote Truck Crushes A Man And 3 Students Dead In Ogun (Graphic Photos) / Couple Sleep-Off While Driving On Eko Hotel Road In Victoria Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.