Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,921 members, 7,956,457 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:21 PM

There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo (3455 Views)

The True Owners Of Lagos Are Not Yorubas Or Binis. See Them. / Russia:is It Good For The Yorubas Or Igbos To Invade Kogi Or Delta? / My Findings About The Fulanis/Hausas That Came To Okitipupa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by nlPoster: 6:43pm On Sep 16, 2019
Yorubas don't always have to speak Igbo (although I'm quite sure many do), as long as someone somewhere can translate and transcribe the language (ie what was overheard via phone), it doesn't have to be a Yoruba person.

Igbo speaking Yorubas tend to be low profile about it, as in folks might not realize they are multilingual.

The google translate though, can it be worked on?
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by nlPoster: 6:45pm On Sep 16, 2019
And what is with the counting!
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by richie240: 7:00pm On Sep 16, 2019
Area4Area:
So what's your point?
What else if not to cause strife. Their day is not complete if they don't rabble-rouse.

Proverbs 4:16
For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 7:07pm On Sep 16, 2019
How much non-indigenes are willing to learn your language only shows its importance.Igbo is an insignificant language.

10 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by kayfra: 7:53pm On Sep 16, 2019
gidgiddy:

Well it might interest to know that the so called unitary decree you are talking about maintained:

The 4 existing Regions of the time.
Gave them resource control and fiscal discipline.
Gave the Regions 50% of anything accrued to them

Anyone who thinks Ironsi introduced unitary rule in Nigeria is someone who doesnt know Nigerian history

Story. If those Igbo guys didn't ignite the bomb, there would not have been a massive explosion. You can't err and claim victim at the same time. You have to own up to your responsibility and face the consequences

6 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by kayfra: 7:54pm On Sep 16, 2019
gidgiddy:

Well it might interest to know that the so called unitary decree you are talking about maintained:

The 4 existing Regions of the time.
Gave them resource control and fiscal discipline.
Gave the Regions 50% of anything accrued to them

Anyone who thinks Ironsi introduced unitary rule in Nigeria is someone who doesnt know Nigerian history

The fact that it was started is the problem. Others just expanded on it
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Harlem2(m): 7:55pm On Sep 16, 2019
Igbo language ko ....... Swahili ni

2 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by kayfra: 7:56pm On Sep 16, 2019
MelesZenawi:

No.

Yorubas speaking Igbo are just very few.

They are not motivated to since they are mostly insular. For Igbos, it's the reverse.

3 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Tajbol4splend(m): 8:12pm On Sep 16, 2019
Maybe it's due to the intolerant habit of a core Igbo man.

3 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 16, 2019
kayfra:

They are not motivated to since they are mostly insular. For Igbos, it's the reverse.

Those begging others to teach are beggars ..

Sometimes grammar doesn't mean someone is intelligent rather sign of weakness.
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by kayfra: 8:19pm On Sep 16, 2019
selemempe:
the unitary decree was not meant for civil rule. That is why it is a decree.
The thing u need to knw while gloating on igbos 'misfortunes' is that all SW states and indeed nigeria states (minus abuja) are in the same shithole status. Apart from braging rights of president...no region taken holistically is doing much better than other regions

I don't think I gloated anywhere here. Just stating unemotional facts as I see it.

Igbos don't have a monopoly on misfortune. It's a cross cultural Nigerian thing. One of the reasons I don't condone the "woe is us" attitude of the Igbos

2 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by babyfaceafrica: 9:29pm On Sep 16, 2019
will learning the language increase bank account?.. what Is special there?..trash!!

1 Like

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Ekpeitit(m): 11:47pm On Sep 16, 2019
gidgiddy:
Besides the Yorubas or Hausas who were born or raised in Igbo land, there are not up to 100 Of them who can speak fluent Igbo.

Most Yorubas and Hausas dont know more than three words in the Igbo language, if any at all.

A typical Yoruba man or Hausa man cannot tell you anything about Igbo culture.

But if you are where the typical Yoruba/Hausa is arguing about why we should all remain as "one Nigeria", you will think it the Igbo man is his immediate junior brother.

In stark contrast, many Igbos are fluent in Yoruba and Hausa. I have seen some Igbos who speak fluent Hausa but have never even been to the North. They learnt it from a neigbour who is a Northerner

There are thousands of Igbos who speak Yoruba. Late Biafran Warlord, General Ojukwu, spoke Yoruba as if he was a Yoruba man just by living in Lagos.

worldwide, there are not up to 100 Yorubas or Hausas who can speak fluent Igbo

Asusu Igbo bu egwu eji!
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Ekpeitit(m): 11:48pm On Sep 16, 2019
Speak Biafra language for what reason?

2 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by MetaPhysical: 1:08am On Sep 17, 2019
gidgiddy:
Besides the Yorubas or Hausas who were born or raised in Igbo land, there are not up to 100 Of them who can speak fluent Igbo.

Most Yorubas and Hausas dont know more than three words in the Igbo language, if any at all.

But if you are where the typical Yoruba/Hausa is arguing about why we should all remain as "one Nigeria", you will think it the Igbo man is his immediate junior brother.

In stark contrast, many Igbos are fluent in Yoruba and Hausa. I have seen some Igbos who speak fluent Hausa but have never even been to the North. They learnt it from a neigbour who is a Northerner

There are thousands of Igbos who speak Yoruba. Late Biafran Warlord, General Ojukwu, spoke Yoruba as if he was a Yoruba man just by living in Lagos.

Asusu Igbo bu egwu eji!

There has never been a universally accepted Igbo leader who did not speak Yoruba. All your political leaders and even some military leaders in Old Eastern Region spoke Yoruba well.

Azikiwe
Mbadiwe
Ibiam
Achebe
Ojukwu
Nwachukwu.

Some of the above spoke both Yoruba and Hausa, in addition to their Igbo ethnic dialect.

I do not know of any Yoruba leader in Old Western Region that spoke Igbo. If any Hausa leader in Old North spoke Igbo I do not know that as well.

I thought Obasanjo speaks Igbo, does he not?

3 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by PeterKbaba: 1:31am On Sep 17, 2019

2 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Abdulaaleem: 1:34am On Sep 17, 2019
Well, how would there be many Igbo speakers among Yoruba or Hausa when the Igbo themselves are not really accommodating? In Yoruba lands, we have many Igbos and Hausas here who engage in one business to another, so it's a necessity for them to learn the language.. I'm not sure you can say the same about Igbo land. Same thing with Hausa land, we have many Yorubas who understand Hausa language and can speak fluently, this is because they are also accommodating..
I served in the South southern part of Nigeria, it's the closest we can put side to side with Igbo. Only I and others know the discrimination we faced as Muslims/ Hausa / Yoruba.. They don't really know about the culture of others. They think the world starts and ends in their abode.
An average child in Akwa ibom state knows a mosque as "Hausa church", that's how unaccommodating they are. Now, who wants to be there to learn such language?

3 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by 1Sharon(f): 3:50am On Sep 17, 2019
Lol OP you have no point.

The same reason English speakers don't go out of their way to learn other languages. Why? Cos English language is the winning language that takes you places.

Yorubas dont need to learn Igbo because it doesn't benefit them.

Igbos dont speak their own language, so why expect others to? If you don't love ur language, why expect anyone else to?

1 Like

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by 1Sharon(f): 3:55am On Sep 17, 2019
goodnessme1:
Yoruba language that sounds harsh, when two yorubas are discussing it will be as if they are fighting.

Its igbo that sounds harsh actually. Listen to how beautiful yoruba sounds in music.
Yoruba and lingala are the two languages that are just sonorous and are beautiful to sing in.

Igbo language almost sounds Chinese.

2 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by 1Sharon(f): 3:59am On Sep 17, 2019
MelesZenawi:
Upon say Igbo language is the easiest to learn.

Very simple to learn

That's a lie. Igbo language has 36 alphabets. Hausa is the easiest to learn.
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by wwwihy: 4:31am On Sep 17, 2019
It shows that Igbos are not accommodating. They are not interested in teaching others Igbo Language unlike what an average Hausa and Yoruba will gladly do. Hausa and Yoruba will even ask and take time to teach you unlike the Igbos.

ya mere na ndị mmadụ anaghị asụ asụsụ Igbo

1 Like

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by vicfajeze: 4:55am On Sep 17, 2019
gidgiddy:

eji!
NNA WAN START NNA WAHALA AGAIN?
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Volksfuhrer(m): 5:31am On Sep 17, 2019
kayfra:

An igbo intellectual wrote the unitary decree. He is still alive. An igbo president implemented the unitary degree. That's why i said most of the real and perceived issues are self inflicted. Doesn't matter if successors expanded on it, the Pandora's box was opened and engineered by Igbos

Chop big knuckle!
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by gidgiddy: 7:28am On Sep 17, 2019
This shows that in practical terms, only the Igbos practice "one Nigeria" within Nigeria.

An Igbo man will go into a forest in Kebbi, settle there, learn the language of the local people within record time.

Someone else will say he cannot go to Igbo land because they are not accommodating and their language is of no benefit to him. Yet the same person will carry "one Nigeria" like a loaded basket on his head far more than the Igbo man who is making far more effort to integrate.

You say you are one with Igbos but cant say up to three words in the Igbo language, yet there are thousands if not millions of Igbos who speak your language

You say you are one with Igbos but you can never go to a forest in Igbo land and settle, yet there are thousands of Igbos in the forests of your own land developing the place

You say you are one with Igbos but you dont know anything about them or their culture, but the Igbo man knows much about your culture

There are millions of Hausas and Yorubas out there, not up to 100 of them can speak Igbo. But there are millions of Igbos that can speak Yoruba or Hausa or even both

This exposes the fact that Yorubas and Hausas only 'mouth' the ideology of "one Nigeria" but dont practice it
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by babaniyen1(m): 7:41am On Sep 17, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Your brothers are back from SA, go pick them up

And your brothers are still in S.A, they prefer to rather die there like they did on eithopia airline
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by mrvitalis(m): 8:49am On Sep 17, 2019
kayfra:
So speaking Igbo is now a criteria for unity?

Correction. There are probably the same number of Igbos that speak Yoruba as well as the number of Igbos that speak Igbo. Yoruba culture is just that influential and no. It has nothing to do with Lagos grin
The truth u dont know is more igbo speak hausa than yoruba
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Morenikeji070: 9:05am On Sep 17, 2019
For ur info.. apart from hausa. No language is easier than yoruba.... yoruba is more recognized in the world more than your language. Wake up
goodnessme1:
Yoruba language that sounds harsh, when two yorubas are discussing it will be as if they are fighting.

2 Likes

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by goodnessme1(f): 9:10am On Sep 17, 2019
Morenikeji070:
For ur info.. apart from hausa. No language is easier than yoruba.... yoruba is more recognized in the world more than your language. Wake up
get out of my mention.

More recognized my ass.
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Morenikeji070: 9:27am On Sep 17, 2019
Lol shame fall on you. If you are proud of ur heritage which tribe are u say it out. Rubbish ass Nigga. Never disrespect my language. Punkass like you
goodnessme1:
get out of my mention.

More recognized my ass.

1 Like

Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 17, 2019
Afospecialk:
OP yu ar correct

I think Yorubas ar more interested or find it easy to learn Hausa to Igbo language

Igbos like Chinese

T
But I think there more Igbos who speak Yoruba
Igbo isn't synonymous with Chinese just say many yorubas don't like the language or they lost interest in learning it. One good thing about the igbos although not all, they easily adapt to the environment they find themselves. An average Igbo speaks the language of the locality than any other tribes. This has made them to penetrate many areas where others couldn't.
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 17, 2019
BeLookingIDIOT:
How much non-indigenes are willing to learn your language only shows its importance.Igbo is an insignificant language.
No language is isn't. Every language is unique and needed in one way or the other.
Re: There Are Not Up To 100 Yorubas Or Hausas That Can Speak Fluent Igbo by Perkins2018: 11:17am On Sep 17, 2019
asuustrike1:

Igbo isn't synonymous with Chinese just say many yorubas don't like the language or they lost interest in learning it. One good thing about the igbos although not all, they easily adapt to the environment they find themselves. An average Igbo speaks the language of the locality than any other tribes. This has made them to penetrate many areas where others couldn't.

I learnt Igbo here in Yoruba land. Although I later forgot due to the fact that I lost contact with the people I used to speak with. But I can still remember some.

I served in the north, but nothing interests me about the northerners. I refused to learn their language. Learning a language is very easy for me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023 Presidency A Done Deal For South West, Says Senator Girei / Tinubu Recent Pic Surface Bobo Chicago, Love Him Or Hate Him / Tinubu Begs Nigerian Army To Shun Coup D’etat Plot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.