Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,842 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa (24863 Views)

Xenophobic Attacks : Air Peace Offers To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians In SA / Xenophobic Attacks: Travel Warning From Nigerian Government / British Airways Rejects Credit Card Payment For Trips To Nigeria, Due To Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by dre11(m): 7:01am On Sep 20, 2019
Sunday Aborisade , Adelani Adepegba Maureen Ihua -Maduenyi , Leke Baiyewu and Tobi Aworinde

There are strong indications that many Nigerians have been shunning trips to South Africa in the last two weeks .

The PUNCH gathered on Thursday that since the latest xenophobic attacks on Nigerians by South Africans , many travellers had been boycotting trips to the former apartheid enclave.

Also on Thursday , the House of Representatives described the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama ’s denial of its invitation as an insult.

The House stated this just as the Federal Government disclosed that Nigeria and South Africa would set up a bilateral -commission aimed at ending xenophobia .

In spite of the peace initiative, a number of travel agents told one of our correspondents that Nigerians were not buying tickets to South Africa , except for special reasons .

I haven’ t sold tickets to Johannesburg for two weeks – Agent

“ I have not booked a single ticket to Johannesburg in the last two weeks, ” a travel agent, who did not want to be named , told The PUNCH .

“ Nobody is going there at the moment . It is as if there is a total boycott except it is extremely important . Since the problem between Nigeria and South Africa began , the only people travelling are those that had booked their flights long before now and students that need to return to school and have no choice but to resume,” the agent said.

Another Lagos - based agent said the situation had degenerated to the point that special travel packages that were put together for tourists to the country had either been cancelled or diverted to some other destinations as people were no longer interested .

Nigerian tourists changing destinations from SA to Dubai

According to the agent, Nigerian tourists are changing their vacation destinations to Dubai , Mauritius and other places.

“ There are people with pending tickets that have requested change of airline or destination. Even people scheduled to travel ; some have said they no longer want to travel to South Africa ,” he said .

Findings show that South African Airways , which operates daily flights between Lagos and Johannesburg, has been affected .

South African Airways enjoys a near monopoly on the route being the only airline that offers direct flights from Lagos to Johannesburg ; other airlines on that route such as Kenyan Airway and Rwandair have to get to Nairobi and Kigali respectively, before taking off to Johannesburg. The airline , when contacted , declined to comment on the issue.

https://punchng.com/xenophobic-attacks-nigerians-boycott-trips-to-south-africa/

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by dre11(m): 7:01am On Sep 20, 2019
Xenophobia: Low traffic from Nigeria hurts S’African Airways

........Individuals, firms cancel seminar, social functions

The strained relationship between Nigeria and South Africa over xenophobia may have taken a toll on South African Airways (SAA), the national carrier of the southern African nation.

Amid the drop in passenger traffic to the area, cash strapped SAA is on life support as the country’s government cash injection of 5.5 billion rand ($376 million) approved for the 2019/20 financial year is expected at the end of the month, but it still needs more money, a presentation to lawmakers showed on Wednesday.

South African Airways has a debt of about 12.7 billion rand, consisting of 9.2 billion rand of legacy debt and a 3.5 billion rand working capital facility provided by banks.

The Nigerian route is like life blood to SAA and has done everything to remain very competitive against Nigerian airlines.

A source at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, who is conversant with airlines’ processing of passengers and who pleaded anonymity, said that the surge in passenger traffic to the area from Lagos had seriously dwindled, adding that travellers are refusing to travel to Johannesburg, Pretoria or Durban; three major South African cities or use them as transit point because of fear for their security.

A visit to the counters of the airline by New Telegraph on Wednesday showed a few passengers travelling to the former apartheid enclave unlike in the past when it recorded a full load despite the fact that South African Airways is on government’s life support.

The airline, shortly before the Abuja Airport runway was repaired in April 2019, operated 14 weekly frequencies to Lagos and Abuja. But after the reconstruction, the carrier now flies into Lagos daily on a seven frequencies basis.

Nigeria has Bilateral Air Services Agreement with South Africa, which is one sided as the country, for now, does not have an airline to reciprocate the deal.

Arik Air was the last Nigerian airline to operate to Johannesburg. The carrier, before it ceased its international operations over three years ago, ‘competed’ with SAA on the lucrative route.

The Lagos-Johannesburg route is one that Air Peace plans to operate after acquiring three B777 from Emirates. The airline had, in July 2019, begun the very lucrative Lagos-Dubai route.

Chairman, Air Peace Airlines, Mr. Allen Onyema, while fielding questions from journalists shortly after the return of another batch of 315 Nigerians trapped in South Africa, disclosed that tourists were now shunning South Africa because of xenophobia, raising questions on why South Africa degenerated to the situation where fellow Africans are killed.

He commended the Federal Government for the strong support given to his carrier to rescue trapped citizens in the country.

Nigeria began repatriating more than 600 of its citizens from South Africa following a wave of deadly xenophobic attacks that frayed diplomatic relations with neighbouring nations.

Air Peace volunteered to fly people for free back to the commercial city of Lagos. The returnees, who expressed mixed emotions on their return, burst into tears as they alighted from the aircraft that flew them into Lagos. They expressed their bitter experiences in the hands of South Africans.

Chief Executive Officer of Financial Derivative Company Limited, Mr. Bismarck Rewane, in his monthly bulletin, said low load factor driven by insecurity occasioned by xenophobia challenges.

New Telegraph learnt from a source close to South African tourism that many Nigerians, who had slated their weddings for Cape Town, Pretoria and Johannesburg, have all cancelled or taken them to other countries.

Many conferences and church activities and programmes have also suffered same fate; bringing a huge loss to the country.

“I feel that my safety is not guaranteed in Durban, so I have made up my mind not to attend,” said a Nigerian, Oluyinka Akande, who was due to attend an aviation and allied conference.

“A lot of people would have taken the same decision because nobody wants to go to a country where he or she is not safe,” he added.
Operators in tourism hub, Cape Town, are seeing business dip even though the coastal city has escaped the unrest.

Cape Town beaches, rolling vineyards and attractions like Table Mountain and Robben Island draw visitors from all over the world.

Australia, Botswana, China and the UK have issued travel warnings to their citizens following the anti-immigrant attacks and Nigeria’s action to evacuate her citizens has further dented the image of the country.

“We have received a few reports from our members of cancellations being received due to fears of xenophobic violence,” Cape Town Tourism top executive told New Telegraph , without giving numbers.

Africans account for more than 60 per cent of visitors, with nearly 700,000 coming on holidays in December last year, Statistics South Africa data shows.

“The xenophobic attacks carry grave and dire consequences across several sectors: our businesses operating in Africa, our tourism, our reputation, our investment levels, our ability to borrow money and the safety of our people in other countries,” the Cape Town Tourism top executive added.

Meanwhile, some of the returnees recounted their ordeal. One of them, Olufunmilayo Adefisayo, a single mother, said: “I went to South Africa in 2009 through human trafficking. They wanted to use me for prostitution, but I resisted.

“They used me for slavery and I wriggled out after five years to do business, but it was tough. I am happy to be home. I am a single mother. That is what I can say for now. It is my life story, I don’t sell it for free,” she added.

Another returnee, who gave her name simply as Ugorji, who looked ill, said her experience in South Africa was not a wish for her enemy.

Her words: “I was ambushed by some horrible looking criminals who threatened to kill me except I offered them money. I pleaded with them that I had just 1,000 rand on me. I was beaten mercilessly. I was lucky to survive. My younger brother was killed last year. It is a horrible experience.”

Uzodimma Okeke, who arrived with her husband and two little children, wept profusely and thanked God for sparing their lives.

She said on a Monday morning, criminals had surrounded their shop where they sell groceries, sprinkled fuel outside their shop.

“I was inside the shop with my husband and two children who returned from school. Thank God there was a window at the back that was unknown to the attackers. Immediately they set fire on the entire building housing our shop, my family and I escaped through the back window.
“How we managed to squeeze ourselves through the window was a miracle. We can never go back to that terrible country. There is no place like home,” she said with a wry smile.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/09/xenophobia-low-traffic-from-nigeria-hurts-safrican-airways/

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by kokozain(m): 7:08am On Sep 20, 2019
They just started SA never see anything

75 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 20, 2019
South Africa just went south
If you know what I mean.

Them never know wetin cold war be
Make I sha dey observe from here

Someone told me that lagosians are the safest drivers overseas. He said they don't speed like others. I dey laugh for my mind. How we go take speed when we get potholes as natural speed breakers. Plus solid holdup. I can't remember the last time my ride pass 20kmph

31 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by StillX10(m): 7:28am On Sep 20, 2019
SA is the correct description of a shithole

51 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by drizslim(m): 7:31am On Sep 20, 2019
SA currently is the proverbial saying "Fire on the mountain"

Meanwhile be careful how u type "Amen" on people' internet prayers, my colleague typed 'Amen' on a friends status & disappeared.

I pray this never be our portion, if you believe lemme hear u say "Amen"

12 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by flowx(m): 7:31am On Sep 20, 2019
Who wan die?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by tsephanyah(f): 7:31am On Sep 20, 2019
Sai Buhari
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by netpro(m): 7:32am On Sep 20, 2019
We have been very kind to fellow Africans, but it seems we are being taken for granted.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by yomalex(m): 7:33am On Sep 20, 2019
Abi undecided
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by JubrinElSudan: 7:34am On Sep 20, 2019
September 28 and 29... Patiently waiting if the South Africans Basket Mouth invited for his show will come

8 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by HarryDuce(m): 7:35am On Sep 20, 2019
Hmmm. By the end of this year, everything will be forgotten.

Nigerian politicians are just as foolish as their South African counterparts. Until they realise that the opinion of the masses ≠ decision of the leaders, we'll continue running around in circles.

8 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by helphelp: 7:36am On Sep 20, 2019
Wait! If na you, you no go shun ...take my money go collect bullet. It's ok
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by ZUBY77(m): 7:36am On Sep 20, 2019
Isn't it silly to go to where you could get killed?

16 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by ednut1(m): 7:36am On Sep 20, 2019
Business risk

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by dinocy(m): 7:37am On Sep 20, 2019
Isolation dey come for SA

8 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by babyfaceafrica: 7:37am On Sep 20, 2019
yeyenatu country

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by nograv: 7:37am On Sep 20, 2019
Finally Nigerians are showing sense!! wink

Why go where you are clearly not wanted. Add India to that list as well.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by Bambambiglo: 7:38am On Sep 20, 2019
Who wants to go to that xenophobic country?

16 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 20, 2019
Make their economy experience wetin west African economy dey witness now due to border closure.

21 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by Iwanttoto1: 7:38am On Sep 20, 2019
ZUBY77:
Isn't it silly to go to where you could get killed?

Is it not silly to not stay in ya own country?
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by VillageHead: 7:39am On Sep 20, 2019
Who go see death put head?
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by skukimania(f): 7:39am On Sep 20, 2019
Very good!

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 20, 2019
I believe the tourism and aviation sector generate a lot of money to south Africa government....
Xenophobic has made this no possible again....even the people in Europe and Asia nation will not choose south Africa as their tourist destination..

I was in South Africa last year to spend part of my annual leave ....and I really spend money but this year, nah Dubai sure pass ...
Next year ......

19 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by Gadafii: 7:40am On Sep 20, 2019
I am sure it's the same thing from other African brothers that were affected by this stupid 'xenophobia'??

SA didn't know that the table they were shaking,na NIGERIA hold am tight,if NIGERIA let go of that table many African countries will revolt against south Africa

No African is a foreigner in African soil, south Africa will learn the hard way

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by starbright4real(m): 7:41am On Sep 20, 2019
gud day, pls i seriously need a job, i am a graduate of accounting (hnd) 07037799108

4 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by NonFarmPayrol: 7:43am On Sep 20, 2019
netpro:
We have been very kind to fellow Africans, but it seems we are being taken for granted.

If we want to deal with sa economically

They will crumble

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by retake89(m): 7:44am On Sep 20, 2019
drizslim:
SA currently is the proverbial saying "Fire on the mountain"

Meanwhile be careful how u type "Amen" on people' internet prayers, my colleague typed 'Amen' on a friends status & disappeared.

I pray this never be our portion, if you believe lemme hear u say "Amen"

Did you smoke in your dream?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by Toks2008(m): 7:45am On Sep 20, 2019
I broke a tear when reading the stories of the returnees.

8 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by princetg: 7:46am On Sep 20, 2019
Good one
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerians Boycott Trips To South Africa by Iamgrey5(m): 7:47am On Sep 20, 2019
This is the reason South Africa was dragging its leg and trying to resist the voluntary evacuation of Nigerians cheesy

It's bad PR for the country.

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Million Naira To Japa Or Business In Nigeria / Flood Takes Over Igbokoda In Ondo (Photos) / Fire Guts Petrol Tanker, Stationary Trucks In Mile 2, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.