Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,820 members, 7,810,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad (31932 Views)

Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa / Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) / Helicopter Picks Billionaire Stuck In Traffic For 2 Hours On Lagos-Benin Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Viktorino: 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2019
Village people don reason their matter
ChidiAlaigbo:

How old are you? Wait until you are old na.....

And all those people who have returned and living in Naija are what?

Lack of money could be the issue....
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Viktorino: 2:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
The country is very bad oh.No deceive yourself oh.No dey beer parlor come dey feel country good.Move around and see for yourself!
Rubicon67:

You have a point but went overboard with your 80%.

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Suspectzero(m): 2:56pm On Oct 01, 2019
Lol @ all these people getting mad because they live in a shit hole and are in denial about it.
Call me shit all you want. It doesn't change the reality of what's around you.
I don't blame you because you've never experienced proper civilization, you only see it on your t.v and computer screens. Continue watching.
The rest of us who know what's up, will live it.

etrouble:

And you are your family are in what you just called a Shithole, that means you are Shit.

2 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2019
Viktorino:
Hahaha.oga build country yourself and allow others wey wan go comot.You dont have right over peoples lives
who cares about how you live your life, or did you not read where I said they should help all if you get out ? Nobody is stopping you oga we just need people of like minds to stay on one side that's all.

2 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Litmus: 2:59pm On Oct 01, 2019
Life in Nigeria is sweeter than you know. Do not travel abroad if you aim for financial and material wealth; if you are however a Zink house dweller type, you don’t own shoes, let alone small land, you're starving, can't go to school or send someone there; in short, you’re otherwise the hopeless type such as swell the ranks of Bokoaharam, then travelling abroad will be better for you. And by travelling abroad I mean to Europe and America not shithole Africa or India. Travelling abroad because you want to see the world is also another good reason.

2 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Finelinks: 3:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
36STATES:
Your number two is so on point.
When you begin to analyse the way average Nigerian reasons, you might be forgiven for thinking you are in a mad house.

To overcome this, don't go and live in the city when you are in Nigeria. Make sure you find yourself a place in your village, a bit away from most people.
This was exactly what I did, and I enjoy Nigeria now. I moved about 400 metres away from everyone and built myself a house with a very tall fence around it. Many people only know I am around when they see my car pass.

If you have been overseas for over 19 years like me including the academic accomplishment, it is very difficult for you to find people that think like you who live in Nigeria.

And people that think like you live in that your village?
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Viktorino: 3:01pm On Oct 01, 2019
They are recycling themselves.The same old men in power.
tot:

Did the leaders drop from the sky?
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 01, 2019
sweetmelanin:
These are some general reasons why a lot of Nigerians abroad are unlikely to return home:

▪︎Being Estranged from Family

The longer you stay abroad, the easier it is to lose ties with family over time. This is could be for a number of reasons, mainly being that people naturally just grow apart ... however, many of us unfortunately have a lot of relatives back home who see us as nothing but a means to an end ... there are many betrayal stories of people being scammed by called family members and even cases of witchcraft.. lol.

▪︎Inability to Adapt to the Climate Back Home

Living abroad for a lengthy period of time can make you forget how things are back home. So when you eventually go visiting, the first 2 weeks can be fun and exciting... however, by the third week, the Nigerian climate begins to become exhausting. You start to get agitated by the mediocrity and myopic mindsets of the average person around you... the culture (or lack therein) begins to bother you, the heat, the mosquitos, the extortionate fees for internet use, the lack of electricity, the fake forming of almost every young person... it just gets too much.

▪︎Health Reasons

Those with medical conditions are aware that the health sector in Nigeria is in shambles. As thus, they would rather stay in an environment where their medical needs are met.

▪︎ Introvertedness

Life abroad favours the introvert. In Nigeria, people can be loud, there's not much privacy, people don't mind their business. This is something that a lot of people abroad cannot adapt to ... therefore, they choose to remain abroad.

▪︎ Papers

Some are stuck abroad because of the notoriously known complications of obtaining papers. I don't need to explain this one further.

▪︎ Children

If you've had kids abroad, the thought of moving them back home can be scary as they've already been acclimatised to the lifestyle and upbringing here.

▪︎ Commitments

Those who have gotten married, built a career and bought houses might find it difficult to up and leave what they have laboured for just to return home to an uncertain terrain.

Feel free to add yours.

The scary face of Buhari and Oshiomole..plus lie Mohammed fat lips
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Rubicon67(m): 3:15pm On Oct 01, 2019
Viktorino:
The country is very bad oh.No deceive yourself oh.No dey beer parlor come dey feel country good.Move around and see for yourself!

You crack me up bro.

So you have a crystal ball to know sey na bear parlour I dey or maybe you think I sound like that.

Anyway, I won't engage you in verbal ping pong. People like you know everything.

2 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by AngelicBeing: 3:22pm On Oct 01, 2019
Suspectzero:
Most importantly...Nigeria is a Shithole!
Gbam grin
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by midnighter(f): 3:22pm On Oct 01, 2019
ensamy:
Some don't have transport fare to return home due to frustration and also LGBT not allowed in Nigeria and Lastly, some think Thier mates back in Nigeria have left them far behind so can't return due to shame. shocked shocked shocked shocked

Yeah I think lgbt are better off staying there and living a life that pleases them. No point coming to get attacked here for your choice
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by cococandy(f): 3:25pm On Oct 01, 2019
Go and argue with nepa abeg.

ChidiAlaigbo:

Making millions of what monthly, naira or dollars?

Are you people sane at all? Kai, you are all in for a RUDE shock if you manage to get here!
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by orunmila144: 3:31pm On Oct 01, 2019
36STATES:
Your number two is so on point.
When you begin to analyse the way average Nigerian reasons, you might be forgiven for thinking you are in a mad house.

To overcome this, don't go and live in the city when you are in Nigeria. Make sure you find yourself a place in your village, a bit away from most people.
This was exactly what I did, and I enjoy Nigeria now. I moved about 400 metres away from everyone and built myself a house with a very tall fence around it. Many people only know I am around when they see my car pass.

If you have been overseas for over 19 years like me including the academic accomplishment, t is very difficult for you to find people that think like you who live in Nigeria.
do you mind expanding on the way of thinking that is in scarcity ?

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by abbatoir(m): 3:38pm On Oct 01, 2019
Ok
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by 36STATES: 3:41pm On Oct 01, 2019
Finelinks:

And people that think like you live in that your village?

No at all my friend.
The whole idea is for you to enjoy the tranquillity of village life while staying away from mad people both in the village and in the city.
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Redman44(m): 3:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
It will take a lot of hard work and sacrifice for Nigeria to develop and become industrialized. Some African Americans are already relocating to Ghana and taking up Ghanaian Citizenship. If African Americans can relocate to Ghana and South Africa to live there permanently, who are you to call Nigeria a Shithole? You should realize that Nigeria has been designed to fail the same way Congo DR was designed to fail by USA, Belgium and other Western Powers. So it is up to Nigerians to redesign the future of their Country. Rwanda is setting the pace for Nigeria by taking the bull by the horns. Rwanda is redesigning its future that was mortgaged by France and Belgium. For you to make an impact in Nigeria, you need to love Nigeria and be prepared to lose some privileges and freedoms to make the country great.

2 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by 36STATES: 3:48pm On Oct 01, 2019
orunmila144:
do you mind expanding on the way of thinking that is in scarcity ?

Well, average Nigerian believes in superstition, miracles, voodoos, supernatural forces etc.; including graduates.
Crowed mentality - many Nigerians do or believe in things because others said or did so.
No atom of critical or independent thinking - they are so shallow in their thinking because they are not grounded in critical analysis... a clear case of the poor educational system. That's why people are lynched across the country and police do extra judicial killings with no qualms.
One even accused me of being homosexual because I told him to stop being homophobic.

Many Nigerian are wicked, criminally minded, lack compassion and empathy. That's why many of them are here defending a well known sexual predator in the person of COZA pastor; who has more than 20 allegations of sexual assault on his neck.

The evil and failure of the system have conditioned average Nigerian to be very inconsiderate when dealing with others.

I can go on and on, what I am saying is that people that live in civilised societies are naturally more tolerant of others.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by awoo47: 3:50pm On Oct 01, 2019
Notatribalist:
and who told you other countries don't have same problem? I have no strength to argue with you,but if you like sell out your country.
cheesy grin grin grin
seems u don't knw d level of bad roads..atleast in my state
most ppl ditch nd sell thier cars nd enter okada because d road can damage it

things are certainly getting worse nt better
atleast ive lived long enough to notice

2 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Beautyaddy: 3:57pm On Oct 01, 2019
Babyvet:

Lol , I hope it’s Naira. Why do like Nigerians like to exaggerate?

lol!...Even if in Naira...making millions a month in Naira in Nigeria is a lot of money too. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 01, 2019
Op come and stuck me abroad please I beg you.
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Beautyaddy: 4:03pm On Oct 01, 2019
Redman44:
It will take a lot of hard work and sacrifice for Nigeria to develop and become industrialized. Some African Americans are already relocating to Ghana and taking up Ghanaian Citizenship. If African Americans can relocate to Ghana and South Africa to live there permanently, who are you to call Nigeria a Shithole? You should realize that Nigeria has been designed to fail the same way Congo DR was designed to fail by USA, Belgium and other Western Powers. So it is up to Nigerians to redesign the future of their Country. Rwanda is setting the pace for Nigeria by taking the bull by the horns. Rwanda is redesigning its future that was mortgaged by France and Belgium. For you to make an impact in Nigeria, you need to love Nigeria and be prepared to lose some privileges and freedoms to make the country great.

So why are the millions plus Nigerians still living in Nigeria still not doing what you stated here

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Redman44(m): 4:14pm On Oct 01, 2019
Beautyaddy:

So why are the millions plus Nigerians still living in Nigeria still not doing what you stated here

There are a lot of reasons why Millions of Nigerians do not love their country. The major reason is because we do not want to accept responsibility for the decisions we make. We don't want to accept the responsibility of maintaining the facilities the government has managed to put in place. The government is not perfect, but Nigeria of today is not the Nigeria of the 80's and 90's. Facilities have improved unless we want to LIE to ourselves. The system is not perfect but some things have been put in place since 1999 when the Military finally left office and handed power to the Civilians. A Country cannot be built without a willing Citizenry that will accept losing some freedoms and privileges. People have to pay tax no matter how small your business is. People must keep their environment clean and stop dumping refuse in the gutters and on the streets. People should be willing to take up any kind of job to take care of their families and stop expecting the government to give them a job. The government has been putting some structures in place that will help people access small loans to start small businesses for themselves. Banks are now giving out small loans. Development takes time and decades. First things first, Nigerians should start accepting Responsibility for their actions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Osobi32(m): 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2019
queengift:
You are right, besides people need an organized system where hard work pays, and a system that works.

I know God won't disappoint me on my migration plans. tired of Nigeria, my soul had left Nigeria already.
God will see u through
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Litmus: 4:39pm On Oct 01, 2019
Redman44:

There are a lot of reasons why Millions of Nigerians do not love their country. The major reason is because we do not want to accept responsibility for the decisions we make. We don't want to accept the responsibility of maintaining the facilities the government has managed to put in place. The government is not perfect, but Nigeria of today is not the Nigeria of the 80's and 90's. Facilities have improved unless we want to LIE to ourselves. The system is not perfect but some things have been put in place since 1999 when the Military finally left office and handed power to the Civilians. A Country cannot be built without a willing Citizenry that will accept losing some freedoms and privileges. People have to pay tax no matter how small your business is. People must keep their environment clean and stop dumping refuse in the gutters and on the streets. People should be willing to take up any kind of job to take care of their families and stop expecting the government to give them a job. The government has been putting some structures in place that will help people access small loans to start small businesses for themselves. Banks are now giving out small loans. Development takes time and decades. First things first, Nigerians should start accepting Responsibility for their actions.

Coincidentally I’ve just now posted something similar:

https://www.nairaland.com/5447330/failure-nigeria-everyone-supports-me#82744112

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toIN5TDbUt0

Nigerians need to look into themselves not just government

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by GOFON(m): 4:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
sweetmelanin:
These are some general reasons why a lot of Nigerians abroad are unlikely to return home:

▪︎Being Estranged from Family

The longer you stay abroad, the easier it is to lose ties with family over time. This is could be for a number of reasons, mainly being that people naturally just grow apart ... however, many of us unfortunately have a lot of relatives back home who see us as nothing but a means to an end ... there are many betrayal stories of people being scammed by called family members and even cases of witchcraft.. lol.

▪︎Inability to Adapt to the Climate Back Home

Living abroad for a lengthy period of time can make you forget how things are back home. So when you eventually go visiting, the first 2 weeks can be fun and exciting... however, by the third week, the Nigerian climate begins to become exhausting. You start to get agitated by the mediocrity and myopic mindsets of the average person around you... the culture (or lack therein) begins to bother you, the heat, the mosquitos, the extortionate fees for internet use, the lack of electricity, the fake forming of almost every young person... it just gets too much.

▪︎Health Reasons

Those with medical conditions are aware that the health sector in Nigeria is in shambles. As thus, they would rather stay in an environment where their medical needs are met.

▪︎ Introvertedness

Life abroad favours the introvert. In Nigeria, people can be loud, there's not much privacy, people don't mind their business. This is something that a lot of people abroad cannot adapt to ... therefore, they choose to remain abroad.

▪︎ Papers

Some are stuck abroad because of the notoriously known complications of obtaining papers. I don't need to explain this one further.

▪︎ Children

If you've had kids abroad, the thought of moving them back home can be scary as they've already been acclimatised to the lifestyle and upbringing here.

▪︎ Commitments

Those who have gotten married, built a career and bought houses might find it difficult to up and leave what they have laboured for just to return home to an uncertain terrain.

Feel free to add yours.

Well said @Sweetm. You read my mind quite well. You are a darling

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:56pm On Oct 01, 2019
tadetobi:

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN IN JESUS [I claim it too from this angle]
So shall it be for you in Jesus name.
Your miracle is on the way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Omenkata: 4:57pm On Oct 01, 2019
[s]
post=82745074:

So shall it be for you in Jesus name.
Your miracle is on the way.
[/s]
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by olujastro: 5:19pm On Oct 01, 2019
midnighter:

If you return and keep a reasonably low profile do you think you stand any more chance than a normal citizen of being kidnapped? A genuine question and not a rebuttal

This is what jidenna tried to say all those years and he still hasn't fully recovered

I can't imagine it could be a real risk unless the person comes back and makes too much noise or wanders into a bad area
That's because you only get to hear about the high profile kidnappings in the news.
People are getting kidnapped by their friends and neighbours for small 1k to buy suya or drink beer for the night.
I've never heard of people as desperate for money-at-any-cost like my countrymen.
In the worst state of Nigeria, it's still better than many African, Asian and Caribbean countries, yet you don't find them doing the kinds of things Nigerians do just for money.
No surprises here for a society that worships money over morals.

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by BigBashiru: 5:22pm On Oct 01, 2019
All black majority countries Nigeria inclusive are Shitholes.

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by midnighter(f): 5:25pm On Oct 01, 2019
olujastro:

That's because you only get to hear about the high profile kidnappings in the news.
People are getting kidnapped by their friends and neighbours for small 1k to buy suya or drink beer for the night.
I've never heard of people as desperate for money-at-any-cost like my countrymen.
In the worst state of Nigeria, it's still better than many African, Asian and Caribbean countries, yet you don't find them doing the kinds of things Nigerians do just for money.

Yes, I nearly modified to say "except if you have very bad family members" but I cleaned it lol.

Well I guess that can be partially combated by not telling people your plans ie how long you're staying for, what you plan to do and all that.

If they select who they associate with wisely and try not to be too sentimental (that your childhood best friend and "cousin" may have already spoilt) I guess they should be all right
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Babyvet: 5:34pm On Oct 01, 2019
Beautyaddy:

lol!...Even if in Naira...making millions a month in Naira in Nigeria is a lot of money too. cheesy

Lol
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Babyvet: 5:36pm On Oct 01, 2019
olujastro:

No where is safe , go and read about the botham jean , a man in Texas who was killed by a white police offer for no reason. Many black men in America are being killed for little to no reason at all. The people killing them are also getting away with it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Sango Ota Flyover Bridge Needs Quick Attention (PHOTOS) / Couple And Their Four Children Die In Auto Crash In Cross River / Withdraw Money From GTB Mastercard In US?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.