Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate (26766 Views)

Irony:Americans Are Moving To Mexico But Mexicans Don't Want Them(photos) / 9 Lesser-known Facts About Slavery / Lekki Concession Increases Toll Gate Fare. See New Tariff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by AutoReportNG: 4:32pm On Sep 23, 2019
If you are a regular road user of the Mushin, Fadeyi, Onipanu area, there is no way that you won't pass through the Mushin toll gate. The Mushin toll gate links Mushin and Ogunmokun Street junction. The Mushin toll gate has been there for ages, in fact as long as residents can remember. The Mushin Toll Gate collects money from commercial buses, private car owners even to bikes and Keke NAPEP plying this route, they charge from 50 naira upwards depending on your category of cars or vehicles.

While it is not a crime or a sin to collect toll fares in as such as people see what you use the funds to do by making sure the road is up to standard and you use the toll fees to develop the roads which they are paying.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-7I5uZAWpRvo/XYjftlv_C2I/AAAAAAAAf4o/IxUpJnTSKRUXhkVh-dB2oSo8zWlrXilVACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Mushin-Toll-Gate_WhatsApp%2BImage%2B2019-09-20%2Bat%2B3.33.08%2BPM-014_AutoReportNG.com.jpeg[/img]

One of our readers sent in this post detailing the activities of the Mushin Toll Gate and why those in charge of it only collect money from road users and refuse to maintain and develop the road. The question now is, where are these monies going to? Who are those in charge and lots more.

Read his submission below...

What comes to the mind of an average Lagosian when the concept of a toll gate is mentioned? Most Lagosians will most likely think about the Lekki and Ikoyi toll gates. These tollgates were introduced by the past administration of Babatunde Fashola as a solution to providing funding for the construction and maintenance of major roads in the city.

However, this development proved quite unpopular in some quarters, leading to high profile protests that claimed the life of one protester and possibly informed the decision of the state government acquiring the concessionaire (Lekki Concession Company) in 2014.

However, there is a lesser-known toll gate situated at the gateway of Mushin Local Government Area. The toll gate is situated between Kayode Street in the Onipan area of Lagos and Ogunmokun Street in the Mushin area of Lagos.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-u8q6Cva3mdw/XYjftmyu-5I/AAAAAAAAf4s/X8b-Cps7TDML6VXAYOeZS_fvnEpwHBHzwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Mushin-Toll-Gate_WhatsApp%2BImage%2B2019-09-20%2Bat%2B3.33.10%2BPM-016_AutoReportNG.com.jpeg[/img]

Mushin toll gates operate much in the same way as its more popular cousins, with attendants backed by armed policed men demanding that motorist pay the prescribed toll fare before passage through the gate. It, however, stands apart from its more popular cousin as it is situated on a road that could well compete as one of Lagos bad roads. The road is riddled with deep portholes, silt, and dirt, creating a non-recreational off-road driving experience for motorists plying the road.

If some users of the Lekki-Epe Expressway found it difficult to understand why the state government had to toll the road to an area that possibly generates billions in monthly tax revenues to fund the repair and maintain it, it is lost to most users of Mushin roads as to why Government will toll a road to a major economic hub without any meaningful effort to repair it over the years.

Perhaps, it’s high time the State and Local Government clarify the justification for the toll gate at Mushin. God bless Lagos State.

See the state of the roads around this area...

[img]https://1.bp..com/-TMAkR6hMMcA/XYjftkOYgyI/AAAAAAAAf4k/CrEwViMVNgYV-J1BsGST8bMVtHXC34lRwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Mushin-Toll-Gate_WhatsApp%2BImage%2B2019-09-20%2Bat%2B3.33.09%2BPM-015_AutoReportNG.com.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-zoSkJlLe7AU/XYjfvGvo8XI/AAAAAAAAf4w/NiTyrUURE7EDzsLKTiYc46WOkrC8sYZOgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Mushin-Toll-Gate_WhatsApp%2BImage%2B2019-09-20%2Bat%2B3.33.13%2BPM-017_AutoReportNG.com.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-mJZN708A9FE/XYjfvae1Z3I/AAAAAAAAf40/-Y-DeGGqAAIafzomANkRt_8sSWqw2BkZwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Mushin-Toll-Gate_WhatsApp%2BImage%2B2019-09-20%2Bat%2B3.33.14%2BPM-018_AutoReportNG.com.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-Q1CW6w1EjQQ/XYjfxCFRYxI/AAAAAAAAf5I/xlttT3JbpOgP1tdcJ_2G-aYitLvWojajACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Mushin-Toll-Gate_WhatsApp%2BImage%2B2019-09-20%2Bat%2B3.33.21%2BPM-023_AutoReportNG.com.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-ACsPv1bLNrc/XYjfx20mcsI/AAAAAAAAf5Q/I6LSI0H_1UkAN_OgUFLU0tg6BjWxbTvOQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Mushin-Toll-Gate_WhatsApp%2BImage%2B2019-09-20%2Bat%2B3.33.23%2BPM-025_AutoReportNG.com.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://1.bp..com/-uObyucNWC5s/XYjfyrkdnMI/AAAAAAAAf5Y/O19wmXGtVBAUmnI_NZgzNiFZlAiQilnrwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Mushin-Toll-Gate_WhatsApp%2BImage%2B2019-09-20%2Bat%2B3.33.26%2BPM-027_AutoReportNG.com.jpeg[/img]

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/09/the-irony-of-lagos-lesser-known-toll.html

7 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by AutoReportNG: 4:32pm On Sep 23, 2019
I hope we can get some clarifications from LASG soon

See more of the roads they are charging for below

https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/09/the-irony-of-lagos-lesser-known-toll.html

8 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by abuuthmaan: 7:03pm On Sep 23, 2019
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 23, 2019
Excellent article.

15 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by ForeThinker: 7:04pm On Sep 23, 2019
Security
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Flexherbal(m): 7:04pm On Sep 23, 2019
The problem is that they do not use the money to maintain the roads.

11 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Badmod: 7:05pm On Sep 23, 2019
So na this less than 5 KM road them dey Toll.... we've lost it oo...
This doesn't even looks like a state government project,more like a local government road...
If I complain about APC now,some dumb ass Zombies will tell me to leave Lagos...
Sometimes I wonder why they assume anybody that criticizes this abula type of Government is not a Yoruba man...
What's Bad is bad...
Even Lekki sef get alternative road,that you can pass without paying...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by engrlarex(m): 7:05pm On Sep 23, 2019
It is quite appalling that, that the smart city of Fashola’s dream was a futile exercise due to the lagos boys aka Agberos operating as an arm of Asiwaju Tinubu sacred boys. Fashola tried to tamed their activities like the current governor of Oyo state just did, but in lagos which portrays herself as the 5th growing economy in Africa. They extort Lagosians with impunity with security back up. FOR HOW LONG WILL THIS CONTINUE? The activities of these agberos in lagos is the singular reason I want another party to take over lagos state. There is no sense of modesty, protocol in their activities. This has made lagos state a lawless and careless state. The Mega city slogan is a scam provided Tinubu is still in charge of lagos politics.

31 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by DaddyMorenike: 7:07pm On Sep 23, 2019
That lady got me laughing. Funny looking
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by NOL2dworld(m): 7:07pm On Sep 23, 2019
Go
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by sylve11: 7:09pm On Sep 23, 2019
@ op, the government nor send the masses o. cool

1 Like

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by legba1(m): 7:10pm On Sep 23, 2019
Omoooo....this toll gate still exists.....he don tey.....some folks are sure feeding fat on this arrangement.....if you know you know

7 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by nerorex01: 7:10pm On Sep 23, 2019
This country just tire me

Especially Lagos state with unwarranted toll fees with no accountability

5 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by PanAC: 7:10pm On Sep 23, 2019
Good job @autoreportNG.
Take it a step further with some undercover investigative reporting and then present the full picture.
Not an easy task though but I trust you’re up to the challenge.

4 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Craziestgirl(f): 7:11pm On Sep 23, 2019
"Overriding public interest" could make it a property of the government. IF there is a will to acquire it.
It should be FREE!
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by wagazala: 7:12pm On Sep 23, 2019
See as OP just pour sand for some people garri.

This toll gate that has been quietly milking some people since time immemorial. I remember this toll gate since i was small, nothing has changed about that road.

5 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Realdeals(m): 7:13pm On Sep 23, 2019
Let me tell you about the tollgate, there was no railway level crossing at the place until about 2003........ A smart man brought the proposal to then Lagos state government under Bola Tinubu, before vehicle trying to link Ikorodu road from places like Olosha or Ojuwoye will have to drive to Ilupeju bypass or Jibowu. LASG accepted the proposal and gave the man go-ahead to construct the link and toll it.

10 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Bolustical: 7:14pm On Sep 23, 2019
The girl in the first picture looks more of a masquerade.
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Bolustical: 7:14pm On Sep 23, 2019
yes
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Rexnegro(m): 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2019
really?
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by realstars: 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2019
Monkey de work baboon Dr chop.
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by OgbanjeProphet: 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2019
Lagos full of shanties undecided

3 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2019
This is a joke gate
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by kunmiiii: 7:18pm On Sep 23, 2019
Some of those pictures are inner streets and not on the tolled road, private car is N20 when you use it to link ikorodu road, but seriously the main road should be in better condition considering the daily amount of money Bertola generates on that road.

4 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by anambraamaka: 7:19pm On Sep 23, 2019
Eko for show
Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by Ayoswit(f): 7:22pm On Sep 23, 2019
Lagos nawa undecided

1 Like

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by jospepper(m): 7:22pm On Sep 23, 2019
Money for the boys na, that toll gate na person 'workshop' o.

1 Like

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by ppreye(m): 7:23pm On Sep 23, 2019
In Nigeria you dare not question the status quo.
As average Nigerians we have been wired to settle and live with anomalies. Its OK to bribe the police, or the man at the passport office or to quickly get with the doctor at the general hospital. We have been made to come to terms with these things

6 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by pacino26(m): 7:24pm On Sep 23, 2019
The road is riddled with deep portholes, silt, and dirt, creating a non-recreational off-road driving experience for motorists plying the roa

This got me cracking real hard. The NPF at the heart of every known extortion in Nigeria.

Just one day and the people will say enough. But wanting the government to give an explanation is like expecting PMB to grant a phone in session.

5 Likes

Re: The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate by ogunsj: 7:24pm On Sep 23, 2019
that toll gate is as old as Lagos. the money they are making from that toll gate is enough to maintain Mushin let alone that road. but what do I know. but Mushin dirty sha, and the people there just they feel cool inside firt.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Hurricanes Have Human Names / Man Dies After Slipping Into Soakaway Pit In Edo / 10 Northern Cities Every Nigerian Should Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.