Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,191 members, 7,815,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (78490 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / See How All The 36 Nigerian States Got Their Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by MetaPhysical: 8:49pm On Oct 01, 2019
See as una dey fight over an uncertified data.

Who is OP to tell you what language people in your state speak or dont speak? grin

If we like sef we speak Yoruba in Anambra....wetin concern this OP.

I fit enter Abiriba and greet my people "Eku Ile o"....and dey answer me "Ndewonu". How that take concern OP?

grin grin

NDIGBO KWENU!!!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by kikake: 8:50pm On Oct 01, 2019
Biafrannuke:
I pity who will take your write up serious

you just listed igala as a major language in Anambra. you even wrote it before Igbo.

listed ikwerre as a separate language from Igbo in Rivers. listed ika and ukwuani which are essentially Igbo dialects as separate from " Delta Igbo" but failed to note that egun is spoken in lagos. Also untonkon is a town in Benue not a language , their language is Igbo. The problem is that Nigerians grope proudly in institutionalized ignorance

Lol. Igbo should have been written as the second major language in Lagos state.
It's like the author would write that the language spoken in Abuja is the language of the first settlers in Abuja before Abuja was made capital of Nigeria - falsehood.

Some Nigerians want one Nigeria but NEVER a united Nigeria.

This is what lust for crude oil and gas money from the east caused.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Ekealterego: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2019
Lastorator:

There are ZERO igbo tribe in Akwa Ibom and cross River, when i say Zero i mean zero, tag me to any thread you find please, mention me... Akwa Ibom has majorly Ibibio, annang and Oron... There is a side that is close to abia that has some semblance bilut there is no single tribe that speaks igbo in akwa-cross
This is a proof of how poor our education in Nigeria is.. Instead of you to make some research on the State you obviously do not know much about beyond the area you come from and have visited.

For your information, I know many igbo communities in Abia state like Arochukwu speak Igbo with heavy inflections and borrowings from cross rivers communities. There are several igbo communities in Abi LGA in rivers state, I know these communities first hand.
They have a mix culture of cross rivers and igbo and speak a dialect of igbo.

A lot of the communities even have "igbo" suffixed to their names.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Goodness001: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2019
umuna:
I thought you will add Rotimi to amaechi's name? In Delta state, people from Itsekirri and Urhorobo bear Yoruba names. In Kogi and Edo states they bear Musa, Audu and Mohammed etc.
Are you daft?
Rotimi is Amaechi adopted name just like Buhari adopted Okechukwu, Itshekiri is a yoruboid language and I'm not surprised if they answer Yoruba names.
I'm talking of native names or are you saying the listed names are not indigenous to Ikwerre or is Rotimi also indigenous to Ikwerre?

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by jamesversion: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2019
Afam4eva:

But Ikwerre isn't the only Igboid language in Rivers state. Listing Ikwerre seperate from Igbo is probably because Ikwerre is the most anti Igbo igboid group out there. Never forget that we still have Etche, Omuma, Egbema, Ndoki and even Ndoni. These groups speak a variant of Igbo and would make Igbo a major ethnic group without Ikwerre. Apart from Ikwerre, the other major groups are Ogoni and all the variants of Ijaw (kalabar, okrika etc).

With the exception of Etche (which to my knowledge haven't actually considered themselves Igbo), the rest groups mentioned are just a handful. If you summed them up they're rent upto a Million people in a state of over 6 Million people. So how do they constitute a majority?
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Biafrannuke: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2019
walexy100:

There are! You should learn about your state. May be you were born in Lagos and have never been to your state of origin.

There are Igalas in Anambra state, plenty self, they even control at least a local government area. Fact!
There are only few communities like Nzam, Inoma etc where Igala is spoken in Anambra and they constitute less than 2% of the state's population. most of them are bilingual which means they can speak Igbo and igala. So be guided.

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by PeaceNexus(m): 8:53pm On Oct 01, 2019
Charlatans should not quote me please.....
BuhariAdvocate:
You’re a liar we are not speak Igbo or bearing Igbo name.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Biafrannuke: 8:53pm On Oct 01, 2019
Depressed101:
sorry sir study your state well ,I have met people who don't speak igbo ,but come from Anambra
There is nobody from Anambra who can't speak Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Citizen0(m): 8:53pm On Oct 01, 2019
Who told you that.

Osagyefo98:
I reserve my Judgement on this because there are distortions.

But let me quickly correct this

4. Anambra State
Anambra is a state in southeastern Nigeria. Its name was inspired by one of its Northern and riverine clans Anam but merged with “branch”.

Language spoken: Igala and Igbo are the major languages of Anambra state

Please and please Igala is not a language in anambra state, let alone been a major language.

There is nothing like Igala language in anambra state pls.

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Klinee: 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
FortuneDeGreat:
Back your fact up with an example, which local government is being controlled by the Igalas, mention one notable name of igala man from Anambra or at least any one you know, just tell us.
Anambra west LGA
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Marshalemmy(m): 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
Bros nice job but there is a lot of distortion. So more research, edit where necessary

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by jamesversion: 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
Goodness001:

If you know rivers very well and know what language means, you will know that Igbo is the largest indigenous spoken language in Rivers.
Igbo and it's dialects are spoken in
Portharcourt lga
Emouha lga
Opobo
Ikwerre lga
Onelga
Etche
Omuma
Obigbo
Omuma
Obio/Akpor
Bonny
Ahoada East lga

As for you, obviously you don't know what you're writing. Oyigbo LGA and Egbema community are the only self-recognised Igbos in Rivers. Pls avoid controversy. there's nothing you stand to gain by it.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by PHIPEX(m): 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
Blitz888:

You probably don't know that an igala man has made it to Anambra State House of Assembly. Anambra Broadcasting Service ABS cast news in Igala and run programs in igala. There's a recognized Igala sociocultural group in Awka.

Anam, Otuocha, Omor, Ayamelum have a sizeable Igala population..

Ask questions!
Pls edit your comment, there is no Igala in Anam or Otuocha. Igala is only in Nzam which is one village in Anambra west LGA. Anam is 100% Igbo, Otuocha is made up of Aguleri, Umuleri and Umuoba Anam and they are 100% Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
umuna:
That is not true

Then You're not from Rivers State
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by FortuneDeGreat(m): 8:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
semitunde:

The word dispersed used there is quite tricky. It might mean that those people migrated from Ebonyi into that area of Benue and settled over time. Whether that makes them indigenous to the area is now another debate.
Benue is an artificial boundary/state creation, these people have that place as their ancestral abode and have been living there indigenously for hundreds of years, meanwhile Benue is little above 40 years. Ponder on that and don't create further debate

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Goodness001: 8:56pm On Oct 01, 2019
kikake:

Lol. Igbo should have been written as the second major language in Lagos state.
It's like the author would write that the language spoken in Abuja is the language of the first settlers in Abuja before Abuja was made capital of Nigeria - falsehood.

Thus is what lust for crude oil and gas money from the east caused.
This could have been a good topic for knowledge sake if Nigerians aren't rabid tribalists.
The Op was actually talking about indigenous language and at the same time trying to be politically correct.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by kwyllancy: 8:57pm On Oct 01, 2019
bonnylight003:

No deyy mind omenka...the guy so hate igbo..but gat no choice..cos soon..he will have an igbo governor..
Even if he want make he dibia..e no stop Dem..

I don't even send them, after all, they said Ebonyians are not Igbos. I have agreed with them that Ebonyians are from Kaduna State.

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Emmanuelcann: 8:58pm On Oct 01, 2019
NORSYK:

Yes of course, I am from Igbo imagine me bearing idemudia as my Igbo native name.... Would that make sense to you?
what about the Igbanke people I schooled with who bear "Osagie", "Osunde", "Ogbebor", "Ogbemudia" e.t.c? Is it not better that you try to trace their ancestry to know their roots, rather than adopting a narrow minded and uninformed approach?

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 8:58pm On Oct 01, 2019
caprini1:
There are igbo speaking Kogites very close to Anambra,i was amazed when i went there.

What is the name of their community? Akpanya or a different one?

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 8:59pm On Oct 01, 2019
jamesversion:

With the exception of Etche (which to my knowledge haven't actually considered themselves Igbo), the rest groups mentioned are just a handful. If you summed them up they're rent upto a Million people in a state of over 6 Million people. So how do they constitute a majority?
Rivers population is at most 4.5 million and that's because of the non indegenes that live there. The Rivers indigene should not be more than 3 million at most. Ikwerres make up the majority.

Secondly, apart from Etche, Omuma and Ndoki, the most Igbotic group in Rivers state are the Egbema people who are divided into two states. While there are still identity crisis there, it's not as violent as you see in Ikwerre and most of them have o problem with the Igbo tag though not as much as their brothers on the Imo side.

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by IamAtikulate: 9:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
Lastorator:

There is no part of Igbo in Ibibio or Ibibio in igbo dat is indigenous
I am from Abia and my part of Abia has ancestral link with Cross Rivers.

There are indigenous Akwa Ibom around Akwatte area of Abia and there are indigenous Igbos in Akwa Ibom.

There is a town called Ibom in Arochukwu and it has indigenous Ibibios.

The fact you don't know doesn't mean they don't exist.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 9:01pm On Oct 01, 2019
jamesversion:

As for you, obviously you don't know what you're writing. Oyigbo LGA and Egbema community are the only self-recognised Igbos in Rivers. Pls avoid controversy. there's nothing you stand to gain by it.
You're mixing it up He's talking about language and you're talking of ethnic group. The language spoken by those groups can be classed as Igbo but the people owing to their wish are not necessarily Igbos ethnically.

3 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by PeaceNexus(m): 9:02pm On Oct 01, 2019
I have several friends from there....some of them bear Igbo names...even their surnames.... Though they claim that they were supposed to be from Delta state but somehow they were carved to Edo. Her name is Ngozi. That's an unadulterated Igbo name. Another person bears Udele as his surname. Udele in Igbo means vulture which was the same meaning the guy gave.....those are my bases for the statement
Psalm2423:

It’s actually Ika, not Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 01, 2019
Lastorator:

Eyen eka kpong ibon ami yak...
Ho why are they always claiming to be us... We dont claim them to be us and we dont want to be claimed as well, we enjoy ourselves and our differences
Ata akpaniko eyeneka mmi
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by jamesversion: 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2019
Afam4eva:

You're mixing it up He's talking about language and you're talking of ethnic group. The language spoken by those groups can be classed as Igbo but the people owing to their wish are not necessarily Igbos ethnically.

Be Sincere can you understand Ekpeye?
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by DCMIX(m): 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2019
We have more than 300 languages in Edo state. U didnt even mention up to 1%
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Ufedolove: 9:04pm On Oct 01, 2019
iSlayer:

They don't speak Igala please.

Lol! I hear you
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by lomprico(m): 9:04pm On Oct 01, 2019
omenka:
Mtscheeew. Very lame.
tongue
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Goodness001: 9:04pm On Oct 01, 2019
jamesversion:

We are talking about languages and you're talking about politics of expediency. Linguistically, are languages spoken in the places that I listed notvariants of Igbo dialects?
Talk true

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by PHIPEX(m): 9:04pm On Oct 01, 2019
walexy100:

There are! You should learn about your state. May be you were born in Lagos and have never been to your state of origin.

There are Igalas in Anambra state, plenty self, they even control at least a local government area. Fact!
There are about 177 communities in Anambra, 2 out of these numbers speak Igala and Igbo and are at the boarder with Kogi State. They do not control a local govt either because they are also a minority in the LGA which is Anambra west.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Lastorator: 9:05pm On Oct 01, 2019
Ekealterego:

This is a proof of how poor our education in Nigeria is.. Instead of you to make some research on the State you obviously do not know much about beyond the area you come from and have visited.

For your information, I know many igbo communities in Abia state like Arochukwu speak Igbo with heavy inflections and borrowings from cross rivers communities. There are several igbo communities in Abi LGA in rivers state, I know these communities first hand.
They have a mix culture of cross rivers and igbo and speak a dialect of igbo.

A lot of the communities even have "igbo" suffixed to their names.

Guy calm down ok... I am not holding brief for Rivers or calaba.. I am telling you that there are no tribes in Ibibio that speak igbo, and no tribes in Igboland that speak Ibibio..

Efere means soup in Ibibio but means Plate in igbo.
Udoh means second son in ibibio, but means something else in igbo... There are words like that... I. Every border the language there will try to take in both sides, but guy there are no part of akwa ibom speaking igbo language... If you are so sure, lets call the Mods, put a bet on it, arrqnge to meet and then go on a tour..
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 9:05pm On Oct 01, 2019
omenka:
There is NOWHERE in Benue state where Igbo is predominantly spoken. You guys should stop spreading inaccurate information.

You have a good number of them as traders in Otukpo, Makurdi, Gboko and parts of Gwer East. They arent indigenous to any part of Benue state.
Agony of Igbos in Benue
https://thenationonlineng.net/agony-igbos-benue/

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Shilekunola Moronke Naomi, Ooni’s New Wife Begins Duty As Queen Of Ife / Zaynab-Otiti Obanor: Ooni Of Ife's Ex-Wife Olori Wuraola In New York (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.