Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (78473 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / See How All The 36 Nigerian States Got Their Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Lastorator: 7:53pm On Oct 01, 2019
LegendHero:

The Yorubas will NEVER claim any one’s land except if it’s our territory, you guys have been about claiming the land of the ND guys as yours. You’re the one that are being insecure with the trait of the Fulani.

You always want to dominate everywhere even when the indigenous guys say otherwise.

Can you see what the Niger Delta guy wrote below: Disprove his claim and stop trying to grab other people’s identity.

Pleade tell them to come forth, lets talk it out... There is no single indeginous tribe in Ibibio dat speaks Igbo as their language and there is no indigenous igbo tribe that speaks ibibio as indevenous... We have very different cultures, though some might mingle, but we have different cultures and beliefs
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by UrVillagePpl: 7:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
stevespack:
interested ifyejike07@gmail.com
Mail sent, refresh your email and check spam.
confirm ur mail
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Lastorator: 7:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Hold it.

Is like you a small pikin.

Even Ibibio is been spoke in Abia state.

Try and move around.

Oya speak with me...
Afo abo ke mbonn ibibio mmor eb ke obio uneghe , abo ke eba ke nkang uke ye nkang uke ?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Mryacks: 7:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
GavelSlam:
Well done.

I know this may not be exact but you've done more than a decent job.

Decent job..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
Why are people not happy igala is part of anambra state?
I knew igala is part of anambra since secondary school in igbo class.
Write only igbo as our language and u will get half mark.
Wicked mazi igbo cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Klinee: 7:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
Osagyefo98:
I reserve my Judgement on this because there are distortions.

But let me quickly correct this

4. Anambra State
Anambra is a state in southeastern Nigeria. Its name was inspired by one of its Northern and riverine clans Anam but merged with “branch”.

Language spoken: Igala and Igbo are the major languages of Anambra state

Please and please Igala is not a language in anambra state, let alone been a major language.

There is nothing like Igala language in anambra state pls.

How many times will I correct you? There is purely indigenous Igalas in Anambra which am one.

5 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Lastorator: 7:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
otuekong1:

Its so irritating when someone keeps spreading false news always, I concur to your post

Eyen eka kpong ibon ami yak...
Ho why are they always claiming to be us... We dont claim them to be us and we dont want to be claimed as well, we enjoy ourselves and our differences
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by FortuneDeGreat(m): 7:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Wikipedia is not a liable research site.
Ask more reliable and authentic search site or machine, what you'll get won't be different from what Wikipedia provided.

If you're not satisfied, you can prove us wrong by providing more reliable alternative.

3 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by semitunde: 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2019
murphyibiam15:

at emboldened, they were dispersed during state creation meaning they're Benue indigenes and Igbo, so they're are igbos in Benue..how do you even understand something??

The word dispersed used there is quite tricky. It might mean that those people migrated from Ebonyi into that area of Benue and settled over time. Whether that makes them indigenous to the area is now another debate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Solsix(m): 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2019
Osagyefo98:
I reserve my Judgement on this because there are distortions.

But let me quickly correct this

4. Anambra State
Anambra is a state in southeastern Nigeria. Its name was inspired by one of its Northern and riverine clans Anam but merged with “branch”.

Language spoken: Igala and Igbo are the major languages of Anambra state

Please and please Igala is not a language in anambra state, let alone been a major language.

There is nothing like Igala language in anambra state pls.

Igala is spoken in one of the LGA in Anambra, they even have a representative as a commissioner in Willie obianos govt

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Sergioaguero: 7:58pm On Oct 01, 2019
Biafrannuke:
I pity who will take your write up serious

you just listed igala as a major language in Anambra. you even wrote it before Igbo.

listed ikwerre as a separate language from Igbo in Rivers. listed ika and ukwuani which are essentially Igbo dialects as separate from " Delta Igbo" but failed to note that egun is spoken in lagos. Also untonkon is a town in Benue not a language , their language is Igbo. The problem is that Nigerians grope proudly in institutionalized ignorance

True na egun get lagos badagry area,
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Lastorator: 7:58pm On Oct 01, 2019
sacramento1212:

The Op is smoking gum. Immediately i saw Igbo added to the list of language in akwa-ibom i stopped reading. For Abia state to share boundary with akwa-ibom which is the Annang part doesn't mean akwa-ibom people speak Igbo too as a language.

Same thing my broda,i stoped reafing and got iritated.. What do they derive from doing this? Annang is the closest people to igbo land, and they speak annang, not igbo... Go no single Akwa Ibom tribe speaks igbo...and no tribe in igbo land speaks ibibio... Lets stop these lies

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Klinee: 7:59pm On Oct 01, 2019
Ignyte:

There is, my elder brother served in a locality in Anambra state called 'Nzam', we had to visit him every two months and to our surprise na Igala people we been dey ask for directions
Guy no mind that guy, am a blooded son of NZAM even though we still speak IGBO but our language is purely IGALA.

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Ademoore07(m): 7:59pm On Oct 01, 2019
delpee:
Egun is the language spoken by the Badagry people of Lagos State.
U are right madam. I even heard it that epe people have their own language. The poster need to address some issues about edo state. I learnt that akoko-edo is predominantly occupied by the yorubas. Lastly, the write-up about ondo which is my state is 100% correct.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by FortuneDeGreat(m): 8:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
omenka:
What makes Omenka an Igbo name? What makes you think Igbos arent the ones that borrowed it from us instead? What proof do you have Igbos were the first to bear it?

Una dey provoke me this night honestly.
Please what is the literal translation of omenka in your language for me to know if Igbo borrowed it or not

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Awaja(m): 8:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
How can you compose Ebonyi ethnic group list without Ehugbo tribe in it ?2,you failed coz idoma is fluently spoken in some part of izzi that borders benue(a community carved out during “Salt of the nation” creation .

4 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by FortuneDeGreat(m): 8:02pm On Oct 01, 2019
omenka:
What makes Omenka an Igbo name? What makes you think Igbos arent the ones that borrowed it from us instead? What proof do you have Igbos were the first to bear it?

Una dey provoke me this night honestly.
And please don't be provoked beyond your limit cos you can't beat anyone except you won wound yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by jamesversion: 8:03pm On Oct 01, 2019
Afam4eva:

There's a diference between a language and an ethnic group. You may claim that Ikwerre, Opobo, Etche, Ndoni and the rest are not Igbos at it stands but you can't take away the fact that what they speak are variants of the Igbo language.

If the OP had listed the Igbo language and omitted Ikwerre then it makes sense but listing Igbo and Ikwerre as major languages spoken in Rivers isn't a true reflection of fact. The Igbo language on its own isn't a major language without say Ikwerre beside it.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by BBBmall25: 8:04pm On Oct 01, 2019
omenka:
Trash. You're rather the one trying to force yourself on Benue.

We reject your claims in TOTALITY!!

Isnt it suspicious even to you that you couldn't find a SINGLE historical document to support your claims?

Shame on you.
My Brother, Pls Avoid That Opportunist. That Man Agued With Me The Other Day On The Exclusion Of Igbos's Police Officers Promotion Nationwide... I Simply Reminded Him Of How Igbos Started Marginalisation With Other Ethnics, Form A Coup, Massercred The Top Service Chief Of Other Ethnics Courtesy Of Nzegu And Co. But My Man Quickly Replied That He Was A Niger Delta Man And Not Igbo! Bt Today, Is Dragging The Same Language The Afomention Belong As His Language And Tribe. Fear This Tribe Mrvitalist Belong, They Can Claim Anything Claimable At Same Time Deny U When U're No Longer Needed. Say No To Alliance Between Niger Delta And Igbos_ Lie! Lie! Lie!!!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by kunleham(m): 8:06pm On Oct 01, 2019
Biafrannuke:
I pity who will take your write up serious

you just listed igala as a major language in Anambra. you even wrote it before Igbo.

listed ikwerre as a separate language from Igbo in Rivers. listed ika and ukwuani which are essentially Igbo dialects as separate from " Delta Igbo" but failed to note that egun is spoken in lagos. Also untonkon is a town in Benue not a language , their language is Igbo. The problem is that Nigerians grope proudly in institutionalized ignorance

Eegun is a variant of Yoruba language just like Ijebu or Ijesha.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Halexgos3(m): 8:06pm On Oct 01, 2019
This write up is a shit. Rubbish human being
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 01, 2019
umuna:
Regards Rivers state, there is nothing like Igbo language. Its Ikwerre Language which many mistake for Igbo language!

Ikwerre is just one group in Rivers State, Ikwere is the single Biggest off all groups
The other Igbo/Igboid groups in Rivers Sate combined are bigger than the Ikwerre, so Igbos in Rivers is not all about Ikwerre.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Masterpiece77: 8:07pm On Oct 01, 2019
UrVillagePpl:

Mail sent, refresh your email and check spam.
confirm ur mail
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 01, 2019
umuna:

You zip your mouth! it is ikwerre language and not igbo. it is only those biafrud that will be claiming what is not in other states. Stay in your land locked state please. it is pronouced oyingbo and not oyibo! get that into that your thick skull! you guys have rushed into these LGA to claim that they are Igbos.

I understand Ikwerre dialect more than afikpo.

I once asked if ahòada, òmòkù, mgbede all speak igbo.
I have been in there
Was confused at all the chukwuemeka, nonso etc.

Politics divide brothers.
Politics that favours the north only while dividing the south.
Now we are dragging who should be among my tribe or not. Tribe will continue while u and I will die. Stop hating and dividing. It doesn't favour us but the north alone.

I hardly comment on this rivers state igbo brouhaha cos it's very childish.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by foster212: 8:10pm On Oct 01, 2019
lomprico:

where is the lie?
You dey follow Ghana man drag?
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by FortuneDeGreat(m): 8:11pm On Oct 01, 2019
walexy100:

There are! You should learn about your state. May be you were born in Lagos and have never been to your state of origin.

There are Igalas in Anambra state, plenty self, they even control at least a local government area. Fact!
Back your fact up with an example, which local government is being controlled by the Igalas, mention one notable name of igala man from Anambra or at least any one you know, just tell us.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 01, 2019
walexy100:

There are! You should learn about your state. May be you were born in Lagos and have never been to your state of origin.

There are Igalas in Anambra state, plenty self, they even control at least a local government area. Fact!

murphyibiam15
He is from Kogi not Anambra, he is Igbera, he is trying to shade Igala people.

He also shade Igbo people

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by RedBlackPepper: 8:12pm On Oct 01, 2019
It's really funny that most of the arguments from Igbo extractions support the presence of igbo in virtually all the southern states of Nigeria (maybe aside yoruba of South west) but no igbo wants to believe there are other tribes indigenous to the Igbo states. Isn't it funny?

8 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Theoarhics: 8:13pm On Oct 01, 2019
How can Edo state be about 8m and Rivers about 5m in population? Where did u get your statistics ? Rivers has the largest population in the south south not Edo with about 4m in population. Edo is a complete version of Nigeria where we have the Hausa , Yoruba, Igbos cultural representations in the state
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by foster212: 8:17pm On Oct 01, 2019
Osagyefo98:

There is nothing like Igala in anambra state pls.

Your brother served there and u visited and automatically u hearing Igala..

pls stop spreading lies.

Nothing like Igala in anambra state.
Argue with proof. Not blindly.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by UrVillagePpl: 8:18pm On Oct 01, 2019
Masterpiece77:

kleo4400@gmail.com

refresh ur mail
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by midnighter(f): 8:19pm On Oct 01, 2019
NORSYK:

Exactly.. I have a Facebook friend that's from there and her name is Onyi Nwa****li, the day she told me that she's from Benue state I doubted her, it took me a while before I was convinced

Lol just leave them...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Shilekunola Moronke Naomi, Ooni’s New Wife Begins Duty As Queen Of Ife / Zaynab-Otiti Obanor: Ooni Of Ife's Ex-Wife Olori Wuraola In New York (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.