Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,480 members, 7,816,134 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? (23143 Views)

For Every Beginner Who Asked - Which Language Should I Start With? Watch This / What Back End Language Should I Learn In 2020 ? / What Programming Language Should START With? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 02, 2019
ibkayee:

For work C++ and C#
Impressive. Embedded people. You are probably more logical thinking than liking beautiful things.
I'm opposite of you.
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 02, 2019
teamoneline:

i'm not one yet but im also interested. from the little i know, python or R is the language for data science. there are free paid training that run yearly like fidelity bank digital trainee, iaspire and co.

me na free scholarship i dey find abeg. no money.

the few scholarships i know:

https://www.nairaland.com/5419705/iaspire-data-science-fellowship-program#82279968
http://techleaders.eg/aal/register/
https://www.nairaland.com/5400414/apply-african-app-launchpad-program#81948466

apply, they have not closed yet as at the time of writing.

udacity runs some scholarships too : bertelsmann tech scholarship - google it - but i don't know if they have a data science track .

cheers

Tnx much
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 02, 2019
IamCharles123:

Learn python for data science, u dont need to enroll any course, videos full youtube, just be ready to burn data and spend hours in front of ur pc. At a point people go think say u dey do yahoo sef.
ok
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Cousin9999: 2:06pm On Oct 02, 2019
Do your BSc in CS.

If you don't have that option, start with C and x86-64 asm.

Remember, the theory behind the language is the most important thing. You don't want to be like dumb Indians and eastern Europeans writing terrible code.
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by ibkayee(f): 2:10pm On Oct 02, 2019
flex04:

Why u dey wyne am
Lol I use other languages regularly, but Python isn't one of them
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Cousin9999: 2:11pm On Oct 02, 2019
Also, don't specialize until you actually know what you're doing. It will take around 2 years of independent study (depending on your background) to get there, whether you're in a program or not. There's a lot you can do besides building websites, and many of these opportunities pay well with a far smaller workload, and less qualifications required.

Once you've gotten to a place where you can do certain things, it would be wise to take a few small contracts to get experience, make a little money, and develop as a professional.
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by ibkayee(f): 2:11pm On Oct 02, 2019
truthsayer009:

Impressive. Embedded people. You are probably more logical thinking than liking beautiful things.
I'm opposite of you.
Lol cheesy
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 02, 2019
LastDays777:

Lol I was even about to say that then I saw your last comment. Just a mark up language according to many.

We could also consider HTML5 as a programming language because it's used to build little games

at all, html is strictly markup, nothing else, html5 api's like geolocation are mostly written in javascript.
To call anything a programming language, it must have logic, sequence, selection (conditionals) and repetition (loops)
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by uzoma213(m): 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2019
How about someone that wants to become a hacker, which language should he start with?
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2019
yinka303:

What programming language(s) can I learn for data science?

python and/or R, these are their strong points, python has the most 3rd party libraries regarding anything data science, ML, DL, or numerical analysis

1 Like

Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Cousin9999: 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2019
uzoma213:
How about someone that wants to become a hacker, which language should he start with?

Why do you want to be a hacker?
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2019
Mummymahdi:

thanks for the insight
like if I want to design an app that will capture shopping list and amount like invoice?

any language can do this really, if you're a beginner, start with javascript, you can't go wrong, like someone said earlier, the applications of javascript is extensive, frontend, backend, mobile apps, even desktops apps with electron.

but remember, start by building, build, build, build and build, write code that actually works, build a tic-tac-toe game (x and o), build an expense manager system (that keeps track of your income and expenses), build a card game, just build anything and keep building, thats the only way to get better.

After you must have had a few working projects under your belt, you can apply to companies as an intern or a junior developer, learn about git and GitHub, their basic implementations are easy, and it helps your resume as it shows that you're familiar with the technologies developers use. push your code to GitHub that's how firms get to access your code, rather than sending your code in emails, you just send the GitHub link to your code, that's a lot more professional. (Even if you intend on becoming a freelance developer, i'll advice you get some professional experience first, two - three years minimum, that's why i included this paragraph, senior devs are all the hype, why junior devs and rookies are expendable so for a self taught developer, don't give in to the temptation of becoming a freelance dev immediately after learning how to code hello world in js )

you can go a step further to learn about design principles i.e S.O.L.I.D and design patterns i.e singleton, module e.t.c. These will help you to write better code, that is reusable and extensible.

but those come later honestly, don't worry about them if you can't at least build a simple inventory management system. (the idea is that you first of all learn how to write code that works, then learn how to write code that works better)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 02, 2019
uzoma213:

as a hacker, i don't think you should be too worried about languages, i believe you'd use a lot of python too, but i know you'd have to learn a lot about linux and its different distros and you'll also also have to learn about networking, (hackers are gurus in networking and operating systems)
so there is a lot of theory involved
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ttrrffyyghuuh:

python and/or R, these are their strong points, python has the most 3rd party libraries regarding anything data science, ML, DL, or numerical analysis
aite... Tnx much
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by akiOYIBO: 2:34pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ayomideen:
I'm also a beginner, I started with HTML just over a week ago and now moving on to CSS,I intend learning JavaScript next
Are you learning it on your own?
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by TheManOfTheYear: 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2019
Trendy247:

Please is the solo learn free?
Yes, very free
With certificates awarded after the completion of each course.
Go to Play store to download
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by AI007(m): 2:39pm On Oct 02, 2019
Depends on what you want to do....if you are hoping to dive into fields like data science, machine leaning and a little of A.I, you go with python as a starting,
If android development start with Java then move to kotlin
If web development, (though not programming languages) start with HTML and CSS for your frontends, then for backends either JavaScript, php (a little obsolete) or Java. But I recommend Java cause its the most versatile language and you could switch to any field with its knowledge

If for game development go with c#/c++

A little advice don't rely much on tutorial videos or tutors, get materials online like PDFs and study

Goodluck in the field!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by TheManOfTheYear: 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
IamCharles123:

Yes it can but i will advise u to start with javascript if u want to go into web development, python is use for machine learning, AI, data analysis, internet of things etc
Php is use for backend web development,
C, c++ , c# for embedded system, java for android and system application, swift for ios, there are lots more.
For someone who wants to go into app and system development, is Java the right language to learn?
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by udoekere: 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2019
IamCharles123:

Yes it can but i will advise u to start with javascript if u want to go into web development, python is use for machine learning, AI, data analysis, internet of things etc
Php is use for backend web development,
C, c++ , c# for embedded system, java for android and system application, swift for ios, there are lots more.
hmm i'm confused,but alot of people say's that with python you can do everything even web development and design
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by TheManOfTheYear: 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2019
danjumakolo:
U must have the below first.

1.. Ability to stay on the computer for long.
2.. convenient environment
3.. constant power
Then learn the basics of computer science (byte,bit,cpu,asci,utf,), machine code,binary,hexa,decimal etc.You want to know the basics of assembly and basic....When done....read mathematics (integer,even nos,odd nos,prime nos, arithmetic operators, assignment operators etc....then decide on anything u want to do in programming and pick the appropriate Lang..... smaller langs to learn first are Qbasic, free pascal etc...don't rush,be good in one of them first before getting to big langs like python or jave
Oga stop making it look scary.

1 Like

Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ttrrffyyghuuh:

any language can do this really, if you're a beginner, start with javascript, you can't go wrong, like someone said earlier, the applications of javascript is extensive, frontend, backend, mobile apps, even desktops apps with electron.

Two many opinions are never good & OP would be confused at the end. People telling him to use python are stale really. But he would never know.
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by udoekere: 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2019
IamCharles123:

Learn python for data science, u dont need to enroll any course, videos full youtube, just be ready to burn data and spend hours in front of ur pc. At a point people go think say u dey do yahoo sef.
can you please briefly explain what data science is?
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by uuzba(m): 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2019
uzoma213:
You are not serious.
People hack because they know ALL programming languages and are feeling wicked/revengeful.
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by uuzba(m): 2:53pm On Oct 02, 2019
truthsayer009:

Two many opinions are never good & OP would be confused at the end. People telling him to use python are stale really. But he would never know.
I learnt small Visual Basic during my final year. Na there I draw line. Too much stress in programming, just to achieve one small thing.

You guys that like programming, Go and program Nigerian softwares so we stop buying from Whitemen.
Program Nigerian Windows 10.
Nigerian MS Office
Nigerian Apple OS. ...
Nigerian AutoCAD ...
These specific softwares will make our GDP rise.
So many engineers out there using pirated software because they can't buy original one and then a few CARTING away dollars to whitemen that are already rich in America in exchange of original software.
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Barryseal: 3:00pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ttrrffyyghuuh:

as a hacker, i don't think you should be too worried about languages, i believe you'd use a lot of python too, but i know you'd have to learn a lot about linux and its different distros and you'll also also have to learn about networking, (hackers are gurus in networking and operating systems)
so there is a lot of theory involved
For a block chain developer like ethereum where does he start?
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Cousin9999: 3:01pm On Oct 02, 2019
uuzba:

You are not serious.
People hack because they know ALL programming languages and are feeling wicked/revengeful.

You don't understand hacking.
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by udoekere: 3:13pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ttrrffyyghuuh:

i'm confused,which one should i really learn first for web development..
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by kogbe22: 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2019
scave:

I have a 10gig video and documents made by udemi on full stack web development. If you are in Lagos and you are interested we can meet so that can transfer it to you chat me on whatsapp at zero 8 one 3 five 3 two 70 eight 7

Nice one, that's the best way to learn.
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by johnrash(m): 3:15pm On Oct 02, 2019
C++ is good for a beginner
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Ayomideen(m): 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2019
akiOYIBO:

Are you learning it on your own?
Yes I am
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by Ayomideen(m): 3:18pm On Oct 02, 2019
flex04:

oga u fast o
Lol
Abi Na
Buh the stuffs no too long sha
Re: Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? by udoekere: 3:19pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ayomideen:
Yes I am
you are using laptop or computer?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I Doubt If You All Know The Name Of Some Of The Keys On An English Keyboard! / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? / How Much Do You Earn As A Developer Per Month?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.