Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:30 AM

The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity (843 Views)

Christianity Is Anti Modern-feminism And Red Pill / I Need Contact(s) Of Anyone Who Works In The Neuro Psychiatrist Hospital Yaba / The Triangle Of Faith, Reason, And Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 11:32pm On Oct 04, 2019
You may have at one point come to share the view often aired with stridency, science and religion are two rivers which never meet. Who would blame you when both history and present are abundant with this school of thought taken as self-evident and undoubtable. Like the principle of equity in law and occasional popping up of exceptional cases in medicine in diagnoses plus treatments, Neuro-science’s common ground—to some extent—with the Christian faith reiterates the need for you and me to be open-minded. Understanding neuro-associative conditioning makes the Christian culture add up more. See why this is so.

Neuro-associative conditioning, a subset of Neuro-science, is the deliberate positioning of the human brain to think along a certain path; a means of restructuring our feelings or behaviors toward different stimuli. If an adult typically jitters out of excitement on spotting naira notes or a three-year-old child cries when denied something desired, the reactions are consequences of a neural association of pleasure to money and pain to denial in that case over time. Interestingly, this reveals 99 percent of our behaviors are not in-born and unsusceptible as many people think, but a function of conditioning. Its sources could be personal or external.

Accordingly, this information sheds light on the scripture Romans 12:2, wherein believers are urged not to copy ungodly lifestyles but let God transform them by changing the way they think. Apparently, it is a clarion call to unbelievers and believers to recondition themselves towards God by changing tags of good/pleasure and bad/pain attached to certain ways of life. Making a habit of reading the bible on your own frequently (Hebrews 4:12, 2 Timothy 3:16-17), praying (1 Thessalonians 5:17, John 4:23-24), regularly attending Church services (Hebrews 10:25), to mention a few, are thus crucial in adopting the godly lens through which everything can be seen. God, through the Holy Spirit, turns sinners to saints by reconditioning them from within.

Of course, genuinely accepting the Lordship of Christ Jesus turns anyone to a Christian but remaining one requires allowing oneself/yourself to be conditioned by God through the means highlighted in His Word. It’s not easy, yet very feasible. After all, science can help decipher some religious truths. Amazing is the rapport between neuro-science and Christianity due to the mutual validation they enjoy.

©Kaycee Naze,
Rational Pen.

2 Likes

Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Magnoliaa(f): 4:47am On Oct 05, 2019
TheSuperNerd — I think you'll like this post.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Magnoliaa(f): 4:53am On Oct 05, 2019
If our behaviors are not in-born, how do you explain things like predestination, purpose (being created for it) and God saying He knew us before forming us in the belly, or creating us (down to the very littlest detail of our lives)?

1 Like

Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by midnighter(f): 10:38am On Oct 05, 2019
If a stimulus offers a positive reward, you will go towards it. A negative result, you will avoid it

Being conditioned to perform godly acts requires overcoming the temptation to sin (often leading to an immediate gratification which may have negative long-term effects ie. natural punishment and Hell) and thinking of what you may have lost as being re-compensated for in Heaven (delayed gratification) or providing you with the refreshing knowledge that you have "done the right thing". This may lead to increased confidence and self-esteem, even if in the immediate aftermath of your action, you may experience a loss or a misfortune

ie. not taking a bribe even though you may really need the money, but having faith that you have obeyed the law and will be provided for by God in some capacity, even though for the meantime, your financial problem remains unsolved. On the plus side, you have no chance of being disciplined or sacked from a job for misconduct, or bringing some type of spiritual "curse" upon yourself by using "dirty money"

Also human beings have a built-in need to survive and stay alive (at least long enough to reproduce), which spiritually may account for so-called "selfish" or "evil" human desires. On the other hand, it also may account for the Christian idea of valuing one's self as being "within Christ" and one's body as a "temple of God"... these are ideas that promote individuality and self respect within the prism of a divine relationship with a higher entity.

ie. overcoming the biological desire to engage in a pre-marital or extra-marital sexual encounter may feel like a loss in the short-term but will ultimately empower the person's faith since they believe that they are in a covenant with a higher power. In natural terms it will also prevent them from being accused of sexual misdemeanour, abolish the chance of contracting an STI and may arguably strengthen their ties with their spouse.

At the same time, human beings are also biologically wired to be social and work with others for "the greater good" in partnerships, families and in groups, which sometimes involves putting one's needs on hold and elevating another's. This aligns with the Christian idea of "sacrificial love" or "selfless service"; indeed it may be why, both neurologically and spiritually, we tend to feel a "rush" of positive emotion after helping somebody else or denying ourselves pleasure and putting someone else first.

Biologically and spiritually speaking there seems always to be a battle of balance between different types of primal or "animalistic"/ biological desire. Some of them seem to align more with Biblical principles whilst some go completely against them. This is why some atheists/agnostics argue that one doesnt necessarily need God or spirits to tell him that stealing and killing is wrong..at least most non-Christian societies have already reached this conclusion, and it goes against socio-biological imperatives.

But Christians would argue that its the very potential and tendency of humans to act selfishly that means we need help from a perfect guiding source to steer us towards the more positive and altruistic side of our nature.

2 Likes

Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 1:38pm On Oct 05, 2019
midnighter:
If a stimulus offers a positive reward, you will go towards it. A negative result, you will avoid it

Being conditioned to perform godly acts requires overcoming the temptation to sin (often leading to an immediate gratification which may have negative long-term effects ie. natural punishment and Hell) and thinking of what you may have lost as being re-compensated for in Heaven (delayed gratification) or providing you with the refreshing knowledge that you have "done the right thing". This may lead to increased confidence and self-esteem, even if in the immediate aftermath of your action, you may experience a loss or a misfortune

ie. not taking a bribe even though you may really need the money, but having faith that you have obeyed the law and will be provided for by God in some capacity, even though for the meantime, your financial problem remains unsolved. On the plus side, you have no chance of being disciplined or sacked from a job for misconduct, or bringing some type of spiritual "curse" upon yourself by using "dirty money"

Also human beings have a built-in need to survive and stay alive (at least long enough to reproduce), which spiritually may account for so-called "selfish" or "evil" human desires. On the other hand, it also may account for the Christian idea of valuing one's self as being "within Christ" and one's body as a "temple of God"... these are ideas that promote individuality and self respect within the prism of a divine relationship with a higher entity.

ie. overcoming the biological desire to engage in a pre-marital or extra-marital sexual encounter may feel like a loss in the short-term but will ultimately empower the person's faith since they believe that they are in a covenant with a higher power. In natural terms it will also prevent them from being accused of sexual misdemeanour, abolish the chance of contracting an STI and may arguably strengthen their ties with their spouse.

At the same time, human beings are also biologically wired to be social and work with others for "the greater good" in partnerships, families and in groups, which sometimes involves putting one's needs on hold and elevating another's. This aligns with the Christian idea of "sacrificial love" or "selfless service"; indeed it may be why, both neurologically and spiritually, we tend to feel a "rush" of positive emotion after helping somebody else or denying ourselves pleasure and putting someone else first.

Biologically and spiritually speaking there seems always to be a battle of balance between different types primal or "animalistic"/ biological desire. Some of them seem to align more with Biblical principles whilst some go completely against them. This is why some atheists/agnostics argue that one doesnt necessarily need God or spirits to tell him that stealing and killing is wrong..at least most non-Christian societies have already reached this conclusion, and it goes against socio-biological imperatives.

But Christians would argue that its the very potential and tendency of humans to act selfishly that means we need help from a perfect guiding source to steer us towards the more positive and altruistic side of our nature.
Nice perspective! In as much as I fancy your submission, It is pivotal we bear in mind that God-man relationship in the Christian context transcends, although it includes, morality. The most fundamental reason for such unique union is fellowship, knowing one's creator and bonding with Him. Most atheists' argument on how needless God is in developing moral labels somewhat points to His non-existence, underscores their myopic view of what the Uncreated Creator brings to the table.

Going by that viewpoint, if we can determine what right or wrong is on our own, then we don't need God. If we don't need God in making choices that optimize our lives, then he doesn't exist. But since God also primarily provides fellowship which fills the gap within created by our nature as religious beings (homo-religiosus), it follows we need Him. If we need Him, His existence becomes more probable, partly because our natural selves typically yearns for what is obtainable, not illusory.

My point is God plays the role of a husband/wife to us but in a higher dimension. Through Agape love, he shows affection, comforts, advises, corrects, directs, favours, and encourages. God is not our boss, He is our companion, partner, and friend. He is always ready to be all these to you and me, if we take the steps enumerated in His Word, allowing ourselves to be conditioned toward Him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 1:59pm On Oct 05, 2019
Magnoliaa:
If our behaviors are not in-born, how do you explain things like predestination, purpose (being created for it) and God saying He knew us before forming us in the belly, or creating us (down to the very littlest detail of our lives)?
God's purpose for you and lack of inborn behaviours are compatible. God knowing your future doesn't necessarily interfere with your behaviour. For instance, your boss could know you will be promoted to General Manager in the next three months, yet that coming true depends largely on your decisions and actions for that period. It is your responsibility to allow your behaviours to be conditioned in line with that goal.

In Jeremiah 29:11, God says He intends to give a glorious end you expect. The manner in which you choose (He hopes you take a cue from His Word) to respond to different stimuli makes that either possible or impossible. Hence, forming our behaviours right is vital.

1 Like

Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 1:34am On Oct 06, 2019
cc:lalasticlala, a front page material for today, Sunday.
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 2:32pm On Oct 06, 2019
cc:lalasticlala
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by sacx: 5:31pm On Oct 06, 2019
Kayceenaz:

Nice perspective! In as much as I fancy your submission, It is pivotal we bear in mind that God-man relationship in the Christian context transcends, although it includes, morality. The most fundamental reason for such unique union is fellowship, knowing one's creator and bonding with Him. Most atheists' argument on how needless God is in developing moral labels somewhat points to His non-existence, underscores their myopic view of what the Uncreated Creator brings to the table.

Going by that viewpoint, if we can determine what right or wrong is on our own, then we don't need God. If we don't need God in making choices that optimize our lives, then he doesn't exist. But since God also primarily provides fellowship which fills the gap within created by our nature as religious beings (homo-religiosus), it follows we need Him. If we need Him, His existence becomes more probable, partly because our natural selves typically yearns for what is obtainable, not illusory.

My point is God plays the role of a husband/wife to us but in a higher dimension. Through Agape love, he shows affection, comforts, advises, corrects, directs, favours, and encourages. God is not our boss, He is our companion, partner, and friend. He is always ready to be all these to you and me, if we take the steps enumerated in His Word, allowing ourselves to be conditioned toward Him.

I so much like this perspective of yours. The atheists is their folly try to equate a Christian and a moral man. They say things like "I love your Christ but hate you Christians". Christianity is more than being able to distinguish right from wrong. In fact, this particular trait was what brought about the fall and the need for redemption. The believer is not a moral man, he is Righteousness.

You can post this thread in the religion section rather than family section.

1 Like

Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 5:45pm On Oct 06, 2019
sacx:

I so much like this perspective of yours. The atheists is their folly try to equate a Christian and a moral man. They say things like "I love your Christ but hate you Christians". Christianity is more than being able to distinguish right from wrong. In fact, this particular trait was what brought about the fall and the need for redemption. The believer is not a moral man, he is Righteousness.

You can post this thread in the religion section rather than family section.
Thanks for the commendation. Moving this post now is a bit too late, because all the above interesting comments may be lost. I hope CC:Lalasticlala re-categorizes and moves it to front page ASAP to enlighten both Nairalanders and guests.

1 Like

Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by midnighter(f): 6:44pm On Oct 10, 2019
Kayceenaz:

To be honest I keep reading and re-reading this reply but I can't seem to get what you're driving at.

The atheist position wasn't my own, I just mentioned it in passing. The topic was the interactions between neuroscience and Christianity and you mentioned conditioning so that's what I was commenting on. I never said that God doesn't exist...

In fact you haven't mentioned any psychology or neuroscience in this post at all..how does it relate to your original topic
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 10:31pm On Oct 10, 2019
midnighter:

To be honest I keep reading and re-reading this reply but I can't seem to get what you're driving at.

The atheist position wasn't my own, I just mentioned it in passing. The topic was the interactions between neuroscience and Christianity and you mentioned conditioning so that's what I was commenting on. I never said that God doesn't exist...

In fact you haven't mentioned any psychology or neuroscience in this post at all..how does it relate to your original topic
I addressed the atheistic argument and didn't say or mean you are sympathetic to it. The above post is related to the original topic due to its re-emphasis of how the God-man relationship can be formed and sustained through conditioning based on cooperation and fellowship.
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by midnighter(f): 1:04am On Oct 11, 2019
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 10:44am On Oct 13, 2019
CC: Lalasticlala
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 1:35pm On Oct 13, 2019
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 12:55pm On Nov 03, 2019
CC: Lalasticlala
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 5:56pm On Jan 26, 2020
Re: The Rapport Between Neuro-science And Christianity by Kayceenaz(m): 11:45pm On Nov 20, 2021
cc: lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Reserve People :are You Getting Fair Treatment? / Pls I Need Strong Advise...help / Mpape Crushed Rock: Nigerians Flock To New Beauty Spot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.