Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,691 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain (4492 Views)

The Ekumeku Resistance ; British Vs Igbo War / Kanu Speech On Chasing Yorubas Out Of their homeland to Niger rep. / O’odua To Yoruba 'work With Igbo, South South And Defend Homeland Against ISIS' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Nobody: 12:07pm On May 15, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:
Resistance
The British-Igbo War That Lasted For 31 years – The Ekumeku Resistance
The British-Igbo War That Lasted For 31 years - The Ekumeku Movement

The resolutions of the Berlin conference of 1884-1885, gave European nations the rights to lay claim to lands and resources in Africa.
Britain, who had engaged in the trade with coastal cities before and during the 19th century, made bold their intentions to covet resources and rule over indigenous nations all over Africa.
They came with guns and preachers. Many Africans tribes resisted the British invaders, and this led to protracted wars. Many African tribes put up a great fight against the superior firepower of the suppressive British.
One of such tribes are the Igbo people of ancient Biafra, who are now one of the three major tribes in Nigeria.
The Ekumeku Movement was the name of Igbo army, that held the British at bay and fought them for 31 years.
The Ekumeku movement consisted of a great number of attacks and uprising by the Anioma people of the land, against the British, from 1893-1914.
The Ekumeku warriors were bound by a secret oath, and meticulously utilized guerrilla tactics to attack the British Royal company, who were determined to penetrate Igbo land. The Ekumeku warriors were drawn from thousands of Anioma youth from all parts of Anioma land.
As the war rages on, the Ekumeku warriors defended their rights tom live peacefully without foreign interjection, while the British used heavy armaments. They destroyed homes, farms, and roads, by bombardment.
The British invaded Ndoni in 1870 and bombarded Onicha-Ado (Onicha) on November 2nd, 1897, from River Niger. This set the tempo for the rest of the war. The Royal Niger Company was commanded by Major Festing. They engaged the Anioma people of Ibusa in 1898.
The battle was so severe in 0wa/Okwunzu, in 1094, that the commander W.E.B Crawford requested for more arms from the British headquarters to crush the Western Anioma communities. The people of Owa again in 1906 engaged the British in a gruesome battle that consumed the life of the British commander S. O. Crewe.
Ogwashi-Ukwu faced the British on the 2nd of November 1909 and dealt a heavy blow to the British, who sustained many casualties, with the death of H. C. Chapman.

The Ekumeku became a formidable force in Igbo land and was a great source of nationalism for the Anioma people. It also served as a uniting cord that held together, various towns, who were independent of each other in the past. The Igbo were a republican people and each town had a leadership that was drawn from its oldest of men and families.
The war would have lasted longer, and possibly ended in a British defeat, if the Anioma people had equivalent firepower, and had more allies from other great Igbo kingdoms and towns. But even at that point, other tribes were facing the British on their own.

After almost 20 years of battle, decided to strike with great force. And in December of 1902, they sent a powerful expedition to Anioma kingdom. A great number of towns were destroyed. Civilians and soldiers alike were killed. And their leaders were arrested and imprisoned.

After this, the British were sure that they had suppressed the Ekumeku military cult, and that victory was theirs. The British officers boasted: “the Ekumeku and other secret societies have been completely broken.”

To their greatest surprise, two years later, in 1904, the fearless Ekumeku rose again. The Igbo are proud and egalitarian people. They don’t go down that easily.
When the Ekumeku started their renewed campaign, they changed tactics, and abandoned the guerrilla warfare style of 1989, for the individual defense of each town.

The last battle began in 1909. There was a succession dispute in Ogwashi-ukwu, and the British tried to remove the rightful king and enthrone someone else. One of the heirs to the throne, Nzekwe, the son of the last Obi, sensed the plot of the British and went to war with them to fight for his inheritance.
On November 2nd, 1909, the British sent an expedition to Ogwashi-ukwu to capture him, but they failed. No amount of firepower at that point could defeat or quench the sympathy and dedication of the people towards the Ekumeku. In Asaba, the sympathy for the Ekumeku was so high that the people had the disposition to throw off the already British government in certain parts.

At the time, the acting Lieutenant-governor of the Southern provinces sent an agitated telegram to Lagos. It read: “Whole country is above are… is the state of rebellion.”
After this, reinforcements were sent from Lokoja, for another confrontation at Akegbe. The war raged on, till 1914, when the Ekumeku movement was defeated. That was the same year, the Northern and Southern protectorates of Nigeria were joined as one country.

Some of the heroes of that 31-year war included Dunwku Isus of Onicha-Olona, Nwabuzo Iyogolo of Ogwashi-Ukwu, Awuno Ugbo, Obi of Akumazi, Aggbambu Oshue of Igbuzo, the Idabor of Issele-Ukwu, Ochei Aghaeze of Onicha-olona, Abuzu of Idumuje-Unor, Idegwu Otokpoike of Ubulu-Ukwu. These men are remembered in Anioma land till date.

The Ekumeku war remains one of most bravely fought wars and campaign against British rule and plundering. It later inspired other rebellions around Africa, such as the Mau Mau of Kenya.

The Ekumeku have long been defeated, and that kingdom is now part of the greater Igbo land, in today’s Nigeria. But no matter how far we travel in time, history always remembers that a brave tribe defended their ancestry, heritage, and legacy against the tyranny of Wilberforce.

Till date, in Nigeria, the Igbo remains one of the few tribes that still resist British rule over them and their resources. It can be said that these sentiments were at play when the British supplied weapons to the Northern and Western part of Nigeria to fight the Igbo between 1967-1970.
Bamite will avoid this thread.
Meanwhile, Igbo amaka. grin

Cc lzaa

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by LZAA: 12:18pm On May 15, 2020
imhotep:

Bamite will avoid this thread.
Meanwhile, Igbo amaka. grin

Cc lzaa
grin grin
Sai dosunmu and afonja grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Dedetwo(m): 1:33pm On May 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:
[s][/s]
Folktales. Igbo doesn't have history

By 1903 when Yari.ba and Fulani capitulated to the British expeditionary forces, Ndigbo were busy fanning embers of war on the rear of British government. The war waged on till 1914 when the British government sued for peace through protracted negotiations.

4 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by gwafaeziokwu: 2:18pm On May 15, 2020
whirlwind7:

Can you kindly include the source of this publication?
This will make a credible reference.
Except you wrote this by yourself.

This article and many like it is are available in most reputable journals like JSTOR. I simply picked this from libertywritersafrica.com because I fell in love with their diction. Here is the link.

https://libertywritersafrica.com/the-british-igbo-war-that-lasted-for-31-years-the-ekumeku-resistance/amp/

3 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by gwafaeziokwu: 2:20pm On May 15, 2020
Dedetwo:

By 1903 when Yari.ba and Fulani capitulated to the British expeditionary forces, Ndigbo were busy fanning embers of war on the rear of British government. The war waged on till 1914 when the British government sued for peace through protracted negotiations.

grin

The thing shock him
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by gwafaeziokwu: 2:22pm On May 15, 2020
Superwave:
But each n every of your tribe was conquered n subjugated, don't you want to talk about how fruitless n foolish it was not to have a unifying force stopping the invaders instead of pocket of rifrats that were quickly overeun by the marauding British.

grin
It took Brits 31 years to pocket riff raffs. That's interesting
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by gwafaeziokwu: 2:25pm On May 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:
[s][/s]
Folktales. Igbo doesn't have history

Fixed.

Nigeria doesn't teach history

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by ThatFairGuy: 9:37pm On May 15, 2020
Dedetwo:

Warp, Biafra evening newspaper. Igbos doesn't have history, that's the fact. They're descends of .................
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by afube: 9:46pm On May 15, 2020
[quote author=ThatFairGuy post=89554456][s][/s]
Folktales. Igbo doesn't have history[/quot

Behaving like the dim ape you are!
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by ThatFairGuy: 9:53pm On May 15, 2020
afube:
SO I AM DIM APE FROM YOUR USELESS MOUTH? IMAGINE WORDS FROM THE DESCENDS OF APE, CHIMPANZEE TO BE PRECISE. YOU WANT TO HEAR YOUR STORY TONIGHT
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by afube: 10:06pm On May 15, 2020
Babalegba:
Lol, grin Aba women's riot, I mean war all over again. I've read Nigerian history extensively for more than forty years and never came across any mention of well organized military effort against the British from ibos. In fact organized military campaigns against the British came from the north but they succumbed to the machine gun. The yorubas were too preoccupied with fighting themselves and did not field a United army so the town's like ijebus that confronted the British were defeated quickly. History is too important to be messed with. The problem is that ibos at the time lacked central leadership so there was no King and a United national army so any opposition to the British would have come from area boys and hotheads in the town's. You cannot call that a war.

The effectiveness of the resistance was actually because it was not centralized, it was asymmetrical warfare alias guerilla warfare. The organised resistance in the north was mainly in part cos the the British abruptly ended the highly profitable slave raiding partnership they had with the sokoto caliphate.upon the defeat of sokoto, they entered a colonial alliance with the British which have lasted till date. The victorious british task force that sacked Arochukwu was made up of british officers and infantry made up of ashanti and fulani personnel. That constabulary or west african frontier force is what gave birth to the Nigerian army............your Nigerian army is a slave raiding and colonial enforcement abiku......no wonder it is so anti people, a proxy and tool of the white man. All these info is documented history but Nigerians no longer read .The thing wey hold this country is far stronger than we can ever imagine........its only the mighty move of God's arm that can free the Indigenous people of this country.Kudos to Nnamdi Kanu who has cried and cried but dumb Nigerians have paid him no heed. We are under neo colonial bondage in this country and the feudal North is Britain's instrumentality of command and control.

5 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 15, 2020
I can bet my left ball that this is a lie. Igbo only fought Anglo aro war with British and they lost immediately.

Ibos that quickly ditch their culture to embrace British own.

Lie lie

"All these my grandparents told me stories" cheesy
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Nobody: 10:32pm On May 15, 2020
leofab:
My great great grandparents fought in those wars.. which lead to them migrating from Asaba to southwards towards the urhoboland..!

Hmm well done. Lie lie cheesy

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Griffon(m): 4:31am On May 16, 2020
adadike:
Honestly, history as a subject is very important . I myself have a lot to learn .

Please pardon me, which part of the East are you from?
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by adadike(f): 6:25am On May 16, 2020
Griffon:

Please pardon me, which part of the East are you from?
Anambra
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Griffon(m): 6:27am On May 16, 2020
adadike:
Anambra

Your inputs on this board have been quite sound. I'm Abian and it's nice meeting you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by adadike(f): 6:35am On May 16, 2020
Griffon:

Your inputs on this board have been quite sound. I'm Abian and it's nice meeting you.
the pleasure is mine. Thanks dear
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:29am On May 16, 2020
Babalegba:
Lol, grin Aba women's riot, I mean war all over again. I've read Nigerian history extensively for more than forty years and never came across any mention of well organized military effort against the British from ibos. In fact organized military campaigns against the British came from the north but they succumbed to the machine gun. The yorubas were too preoccupied with fighting themselves and did not field a United army so the town's like ijebus that confronted the British were defeated quickly. History is too important to be messed with. The problem is that ibos at the time lacked central leadership so there was no King and a United national army so any opposition to the British would have come from area boys and hotheads in the town's. You cannot call that a war.

Go and read history again
There was no civil war, that is a stupid myth, the war was against traditional Yorubas vs Fulanis AND Yorubas that had become Muslims, (who were kneedeep in waging wars and raiding slaves with Fulani's)
That's why I hate these Fulani lovers, their history is long and treacherous

2 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Racoon(m): 7:54am On May 16, 2020
jkendy:
It's been long we learned how to defend our homeland with the last drop of our blood.Nigeria Army was just lucky to have triumphed over a few group of innocent civilians in the late 1960s.

Even with that, Yakubu Gowon stands a better position to enlighten his people of what they experienced, as an eyewitness.

You can't test the superior firepower of a determined set of people with a positive ideology like the Biafrans.Oya, haters come around let's go on a ride!!!
Thanks so much bro.Umu Chineke.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Racoon(m): 7:57am On May 16, 2020
adadike:
Honestly, history as a subject is very important . I myself have a lot to learn .
This is why Histroy as a subject/course was banished by the Nigerian government from our educational curriculum.The fact is the records are always there to speak for themselves.

2 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by adadike(f): 8:23am On May 16, 2020
Racoon:
This is why Histroy as a subject/course was banished by the Nigerian government from our educational curriculum.The fact is the records are always there to speak for themselves.
eziokwu nwanem
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by gwafaeziokwu: 8:35am On May 16, 2020
Only a free people will mount resistance against invasion by oppressive agents. The group who willingly gave themselves up for colonisation will come today to rub shoulders with their fathers. We resisted because we were not in awe of them. They couldn't intimidate us even with their superior firepower. History is sacred!

1 Like

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by gwafaeziokwu: 8:44am On May 16, 2020
Racoon:

Nigeria has a date with destiny. We are backward today because there is no true nationalism and patriotism. It appeared as if our history started with 1914 amalgamation or for some 1960 after independence. But the truth is that we have been living here long before the whites came. We had a system of government in place that suits our culture. This republican system is still running all over igboland till today. Nothing has changed it.

1 Like

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by leofab(f): 2:43pm On May 16, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Hmm well done. Lie lie cheesy
no jokes
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Ckonnet: 5:40am On Apr 19, 2021
Babalegba:
Keep deceiving yourself, you need a national centralized army and therefore a king and a general to resist effectively. I'm Yoruba but can tell you that the most effective stubbornly military campaign against the British came from the north. You cannot have military weight without centralized leadership

I wonder the kind of history you have been under studying for 4o yes that you have not come across Anglo aro war or you are just trying to claim ignorance. The scale of war and not can't be the same.

1 Like

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by owobokiri(m): 6:35am On Apr 19, 2021
Ckonnet:

I wonder the kind of history you have been under studying for 4o yes that you have not come across Anglo aro war or you are just trying to claim ignorance. The scale of war and not can't be the same.

They know nothing about their socalled fellow Nigerians..
Do they know anything about Nigeria?
They don't travel! Their lives begin and end in Lagos.
According to them, other people are poor and so no need to go to such places.., yet there are Americans living and working in Rwanda, There are Chinese in Nigeria..
Where others see opportunities, they see misery..
In Nigeria, they are the least in terms of traveling.
Most think everyone after Ore is igbo!
They know nothing about those they fought to live in the same country with.??

1 Like

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Yoruba1stson: 7:59am On Apr 19, 2021
Igbo people wey no get history dey talk nonsense for this forum, all we know about you guys is that you are descendants of a...
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Nobody: 8:20am On Apr 19, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:
Resistance
The British-Igbo War That Lasted For 31 years – The Ekumeku Resistance
The British-Igbo War That Lasted For 31 years - The Ekumeku Movement

The resolutions of the Berlin conference of 1884-1885, gave European nations the rights to lay claim to lands and resources in Africa.
Britain, who had engaged in the trade with coastal cities before and during the 19th century, made bold their intentions to covet resources and rule over indigenous nations all over Africa.
They came with guns and preachers. Many Africans tribes resisted the British invaders, and this led to protracted wars. Many African tribes put up a great fight against the superior firepower of the suppressive British.
One of such tribes are the Igbo people of ancient Biafra, who are now one of the three major tribes in Nigeria.
The Ekumeku Movement was the name of Igbo army, that held the British at bay and fought them for 31 years.
The Ekumeku movement consisted of a great number of attacks and uprising by the Anioma people of the land, against the British, from 1893-1914.
The Ekumeku warriors were bound by a secret oath, and meticulously utilized guerrilla tactics to attack the British Royal company, who were determined to penetrate Igbo land. The Ekumeku warriors were drawn from thousands of Anioma youth from all parts of Anioma land.
As the war rages on, the Ekumeku warriors defended their rights tom live peacefully without foreign interjection, while the British used heavy armaments. They destroyed homes, farms, and roads, by bombardment.
The British invaded Ndoni in 1870 and bombarded Onicha-Ado (Onicha) on November 2nd, 1897, from River Niger. This set the tempo for the rest of the war. The Royal Niger Company was commanded by Major Festing. They engaged the Anioma people of Ibusa in 1898.
The battle was so severe in 0wa/Okwunzu, in 1094, that the commander W.E.B Crawford requested for more arms from the British headquarters to crush the Western Anioma communities. The people of Owa again in 1906 engaged the British in a gruesome battle that consumed the life of the British commander S. O. Crewe.
Ogwashi-Ukwu faced the British on the 2nd of November 1909 and dealt a heavy blow to the British, who sustained many casualties, with the death of H. C. Chapman.

The Ekumeku became a formidable force in Igbo land and was a great source of nationalism for the Anioma people. It also served as a uniting cord that held together, various towns, who were independent of each other in the past. The Igbo were a republican people and each town had a leadership that was drawn from its oldest of men and families.
The war would have lasted longer, and possibly ended in a British defeat, if the Anioma people had equivalent firepower, and had more allies from other great Igbo kingdoms and towns. But even at that point, other tribes were facing the British on their own.

After almost 20 years of battle, decided to strike with great force. And in December of 1902, they sent a powerful expedition to Anioma kingdom. A great number of towns were destroyed. Civilians and soldiers alike were killed. And their leaders were arrested and imprisoned.

After this, the British were sure that they had suppressed the Ekumeku military cult, and that victory was theirs. The British officers boasted: “the Ekumeku and other secret societies have been completely broken.”

To their greatest surprise, two years later, in 1904, the fearless Ekumeku rose again. The Igbo are proud and egalitarian people. They don’t go down that easily.
When the Ekumeku started their renewed campaign, they changed tactics, and abandoned the guerrilla warfare style of 1989, for the individual defense of each town.

The last battle began in 1909. There was a succession dispute in Ogwashi-ukwu, and the British tried to remove the rightful king and enthrone someone else. One of the heirs to the throne, Nzekwe, the son of the last Obi, sensed the plot of the British and went to war with them to fight for his inheritance.
On November 2nd, 1909, the British sent an expedition to Ogwashi-ukwu to capture him, but they failed. No amount of firepower at that point could defeat or quench the sympathy and dedication of the people towards the Ekumeku. In Asaba, the sympathy for the Ekumeku was so high that the people had the disposition to throw off the already British government in certain parts.

At the time, the acting Lieutenant-governor of the Southern provinces sent an agitated telegram to Lagos. It read: “Whole country is above are… is the state of rebellion.”
After this, reinforcements were sent from Lokoja, for another confrontation at Akegbe. The war raged on, till 1914, when the Ekumeku movement was defeated. That was the same year, the Northern and Southern protectorates of Nigeria were joined as one country.

Some of the heroes of that 31-year war included Dunwku Isus of Onicha-Olona, Nwabuzo Iyogolo of Ogwashi-Ukwu, Awuno Ugbo, Obi of Akumazi, Aggbambu Oshue of Igbuzo, the Idabor of Issele-Ukwu, Ochei Aghaeze of Onicha-olona, Abuzu of Idumuje-Unor, Idegwu Otokpoike of Ubulu-Ukwu. These men are remembered in Anioma land till date.

The Ekumeku war remains one of most bravely fought wars and campaign against British rule and plundering. It later inspired other rebellions around Africa, such as the Mau Mau of Kenya.

The Ekumeku have long been defeated, and that kingdom is now part of the greater Igbo land, in today’s Nigeria. But no matter how far we travel in time, history always remembers that a brave tribe defended their ancestry, heritage, and legacy against the tyranny of Wilberforce.

Till date, in Nigeria, the Igbo remains one of the few tribes that still resist British rule over them and their resources. It can be said that these sentiments were at play when the British supplied weapons to the Northern and Western part of Nigeria to fight the Igbo between 1967-1970.
Daalu so biko we need this kind of history.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by OdumegwuOjukwu: 8:25am On Apr 19, 2021
Interesting read.

Book marking for further research.

1 Like

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by StaffofOrayan(m): 8:46am On Apr 19, 2021
Shout out to our ancestors that fought against slavery in the past and those doing it in the present!

Shame on the lovers of chains and slavery

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Incoming Globo-homo Era / Wike And Okowa Welcome Obaseki To PDP(photos) / FG Kick-starts 2021 Budgetary Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.