Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,425 members, 7,954,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:16 AM

The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain (4872 Views)

Nigerians Who Abandoned Homeland To Enjoy Their Wealth Abroad / The Ekumeku Resistance ; British Vs Igbo War / O’odua To Yoruba 'work With Igbo, South South And Defend Homeland Against ISIS' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Fejoku: 9:00am On Apr 19, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:
As of the time our fathers were resisting the British I am sure that none of them knew about the Berlin conference and its outcome. They let their survival instinct guide them to the fact that they and their unborn children were about to be messed up forever. So for more than two decades they fought with all they had. I am proud of that heritage. Each time I look at how the business venture of the Britain called Nigeria is killing off dreams. I take solace in the fact that our fathers never wanted this for us and they tried their best to neutralise the brits. One day our dreams will be achieved

Aptly put. Ndigbo hate subjugation and will do anything to fight it off. It's in our blood and we are proud of it. Our complete freedom is at hand and God willing, victory shall be ours. Our forefathers resisted the British with all the had. They knew nothing good comes with any association with them.

2 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Fejoku: 9:12am On Apr 19, 2021
Babalegba:
Lol, grin Aba women's riot, I mean war all over again. I've read Nigerian history extensively for more than forty years and never came across any mention of well organized military effort against the British from ibos. In fact organized military campaigns against the British came from the north but they succumbed to the machine gun. The yorubas were too preoccupied with fighting themselves and did not field a United army so the town's like ijebus that confronted the British were defeated quickly. History is too important to be messed with. The problem is that ibos at the time lacked central leadership so there was no King and a United national army so any opposition to the British would have come from area boys and hotheads in the town's. You cannot call that a war.
It's good to read first before opening your mouth to say rubbish. Why not search for books online that wrote about the Ekumeku Resistance? Any form of marshal resistance against invaders by indigenous people is rightly described as a war. It may not be well organized for various reasons but the blood and life put up for such defence qualifies it to be described as such. That a lot of positives about Igbos were deliberately kept out of Nigerian history shouldn't make one regard stories from Igbos as lies or exaggeration. Many young Igbos have gone into reading history from Libraries all over the world to know more about their people and the trend will continue. We are proud of our history.
Don't allow prejudice cloud your sense of reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by OfoIgbo: 9:40am On Apr 19, 2021
Ekumeku resistance was by far, the greatest and the fiercest resistance effort by any group, against the European colonizers by any group in West Africa.

The Anioma people really stood their ground honourably.

Eze Nri Enwelana I (the great grand father of Eze Nri Obidiegwu Onyesoh NriEnweleAna II)declared an anathema against white people to aid in the Ekumeku effort. What this meant was that the killing of any white man during the Ekumeku resistance was not an Abomination (ALU), and would not require IKPU ALU by Nri priests.
Back then, the Igbo official religion was ODINANI/ ODINANA/ ODINALA and people endeavored not the sin against the land deity (Ani/Ana/Ajala/Ajani). Spilling of blood was a crime against ANA, and would normally require IKPU ALU by Nri priests for the abomination and the spiritual consequences to be lifted.
As the Igbo high priest, Eze Nri Enwelana I appealed to Chukwu Abiama to ensure that the killing of any invader would not attract the fury of ANI against those Igbo communities.

2 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by Akiara: 11:26am On Apr 19, 2021
SEE WHY I SAY IGBO PEOPLE RUGGED??

SEE THE DETAILED REPORT OF HOW BRITAIN FOUGHT AND LOST SOLDIERS WHEN FACED WITH IGBO RESISTANCE.

NOW SOME DIRTY URCHINS WILL BE FIGHTING ME, WHEN I STATE CATEGORICALLY...THAT IF IGBOS RISE AGAIN ...ITS GOING TO BE BLOODY FOR THE WHOLE NATION.

THE IGBO YOUTHS ARE ALREADY VERY RESTIVE AND ITS SO OBVIOUS THAT THEY ARE READY TO GIVE A RETURN LEG IF NEED BE.

YORUBA YOUTHS SHOULD EMANCIPATE THEMSELVES AS ITS OBVIOUS THAT THE FULANI NORTH DOESN'T EVEN SEND THEIR BENEFACTOR Tinubu LET ALONE OSIBANDE

1 Like

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by gwafaeziokwu: 12:16am On Apr 20, 2021
Fejoku:

Aptly put. Ndigbo hate subjugation and will do anything to fight it off. It's in our blood and we are proud of it. Our complete freedom is at hand and God willing, victory shall be ours. Our forefathers resisted the British with all the had. They knew nothing good comes with any association with them.

Freedom is the air we breath. It is our greatest asset. A free man is a purposeful man. Without freedom, man looses purpose.

1 Like

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance: How Igbos Defended Their Homeland Against Britain by gwafaeziokwu: 12:51am On Apr 20, 2021
Babalegba:
Lol, grin Aba women's riot, I mean war all over again. I've read Nigerian history extensively for more than forty years and never came across any mention of well organized military effort against the British from ibos. In fact organized military campaigns against the British came from the north but they succumbed to the machine gun. The yorubas were too preoccupied with fighting themselves and did not field a United army so the town's like ijebus that confronted the British were defeated quickly. History is too important to be messed with. The problem is that ibos at the time lacked central leadership so there was no King and a United national army so any opposition to the British would have come from area boys and hotheads in the town's. You cannot call that a war.

grin

I would feel ashamed of my history too if I were in your shoes. While, Igbos kept the Brits at bay. Matching them toe to toe, man to man , your kings all ran like scared little kids and surrendered Yoruba sovereignty to invaders.

The Brits didn't even fire one shot to take over Yoruba land. They were literally begged by savage barbarians on the verge of wiping off each other from the face of the earth to come and rule them. They were busy fighting senseless wars while Igbos live in egalitarianism and dignity.

I am not the one that asked you to receive half baked education.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Yahoo Boy Screams In Anger After His Oyinbo Client Defrauded Him / Man In ITaly shows money Given To Him By Government Equal To 300k-blasts Buhari / Remembering Charismatic Murtala Muhammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.