Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Stage Fright: How To Overcome - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Stage Fright: How To Overcome (4943 Views)

Stage Fright / Stage Fright..your Personal Experience / How Can We Overcome Feelings Of Rejection? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stage Fright: How To Overcome by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 05, 2010
Hi, I don't know if I'm posting this in the right section but I got a problem, yeah my friend's problem is mine too.
One of my friends do shutter when she's called on to give a talk in public places. Not that she's not intelligent, but she always shutters when she is to pray, talk, give announcements and the likes. This is very embarrassing therefore, I'm asking you nlanders to suggest ways in which she can overcome the problem. Thanks alot
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by graychuks(m): 1:37pm On Nov 07, 2010
I beliv u when u say she is brilliant d problem is self confidnce.belive u can do it,believe u are smarter than them,focus on what u are their to say nd always be prepared at any moment of what 2 say,which i believe u are not found wanted in.have the mindset of respecting what u say.and always mean each world.people will start encouraging u.then ur confidence will start flowing back.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2010
I appreciate your reply sir, I'll tell her to work on self-confidence; she is too shy, timid and reserved. Thanks so much, more responses please.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by unclebros: 12:34pm On Nov 08, 2010
Nice post.
I do anchor programs and events as an MC. I also write/direct stage theater scripts. Performance anxiety is a critical issue when it comes to facing audience but you can overcome it like I did.
If you are really interested you can call me: 08029563137
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by sayso: 12:37pm On Nov 08, 2010
take some ganja often,it will help you slow down on the stage whatever,over time you will naturally talk to crowds.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by Ranoscky(m): 12:53pm On Nov 08, 2010
They says, 'self confidence makes a man'.  

Since you said she's intelligent enough but she shutters when makin speech or when called to pray, i guess all she needs to do is to try and build up self confidence and believe in herself that she can do it. And also try and be more courageous.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by fASHCEO(m): 12:54pm On Nov 08, 2010
I believe we all suffer this but only at the beginning of any learning the trade. With more confidence in herself and several trial might help improve her public speaking skills.

Check out the latest Nokia, Blackberry, Sony Ericsson & many more electronics, simply hit the below link;
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by frijos(m): 1:07pm On Nov 08, 2010
@OP tell her to keep practicing because practice makes perfect. I advise she orgainse groups and speak to them starting with her friends she can talk about any topic. she should do this often. I could recall performing at Koffi's bursting loose live at the muson center. I have never performed at such an arena before but because i have been performing at gigs organised locally and on roads i have been able to build my confidence up (sub-consciously). I would've effed up that day walahi! at first whe i was called i became nervous but when i got the mic and came on stage and saw the media, photographers, camera men, and the crowd all looking at me i felt like wow i'm actually at home and they all came to visit (lol owner of house no suppose dey fear him visitor na) hence d yoruba saying e ni a ba laba ni baba. so keep socializing talking to groups and before u know it ur on! fearless!

watch the performance on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sIPKhgf2c

Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by maclatunji: 1:13pm On Nov 08, 2010
There you are again marketing phones @ fash-ceo. @topic, let her ask herself: will I be killed if I make a mistake? The answer is obviously no. So let her go for it. It also helps to have a friend that you can focus on in the crowd.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by koolprince: 1:22pm On Nov 08, 2010
I think your friend lack self confident.
she need to believe in herself and appreciate whatever she is before she can develope that confident.
I do suggest she start believing in herself and accept who she is first.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by irawo(f): 1:24pm On Nov 08, 2010
The correct word is 'stutter'a speech disorder involving hesitations and involuntary repetitions of certain sounds.Similar words are stammer,bumble and falter.Your friend can definitely overcome this problem.I was a very bad stammerer.It's still obvious when I'm angry,excited or anxious but i have able to manage it.I have had opportunities in the past as class rep in the secondary school and university to give speeches.Also,as a performing artiste and in the management level of the organisations i work for ,i need to defend my reports every week.Although i am not a shy person particularly when it comes to entertainment,but i always try to shy away from speech making before now, for fear that people would make fun of me.

I understand your friend because i am equally a very intelligent person and stuttering can make one seem foolish sometimes.First,your friend needs to believe in herself that she can give that speech or say that prayer in public.She needs to calm down and take a deep breath before she starts talking,Practice looking straight ahead into people's eyes while talking,briefly taking away her eyes.If she can't do that,she should try looking at their foreheads.

Lastly,she needs to attend a Leadership class where she'll learn how to give speeches like Martin Luther King and other great orators.I did and it helped a lot.
All the best to your friend.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by JUO(m): 1:28pm On Nov 08, 2010
believe in yourself
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by frijos(m): 1:32pm On Nov 08, 2010
she needs self-discovery period!
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by daroz(m): 1:41pm On Nov 08, 2010
we all had such problem at one thing or the other, with continious execise, u will over come it someday. But are u sure u are not the one?
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by uglybetty: 1:55pm On Nov 08, 2010
I had the same problem too but overcame.Tell her to have self confident, then always look above their heads when called upon to talk and not theirs eyes,I was thought this in school. by this she want have any stage fright.Then secondly,she should try and look good also especially when going for an occation.I think this will help.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by frijos(m): 1:59pm On Nov 08, 2010
as an effective communicator you must know how to use body language to engage your audience and also know thier reactions to what your saying by reading thiers. How can u be talkning to someone and looking above thier head? chai!
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by Pilotman(m): 2:04pm On Nov 08, 2010
I used 2 b very shy, but not any more. In sec sch, I was pickd 2 represent my sch in a debate afta my performance @ d audition. But dat day, I fumbled big time. I was shaking & hated myself. D next public embarrassment was in my church during an evening event. I was 2 chant a song, but when I got 2 d mic, I mixd up d tune! It was not funy. all eyes were on me. But dat was den. I startd working on myself. I read lots of motivational books to boost SELF CONFIDENCE. I also read psychology books 2 BETTER UNDASTAND MYSELF & ODAS. I also PRACTICE talking in small groups like meetings. Believe me, in my yr 3 in Uni. I was class rep & I also representd my dept in inta-dept seminar presentatn. I did not fail again dis time & we carried d day! U nid a positive mindset, self confidence & PRACTICE. Read books 2 & pray about it. If u're a christian, read (2 Tim 1:7). Good luck.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by scmk: 2:08pm On Nov 08, 2010
SEND SMS ??

WEBMAILTOSMS.COM
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by mymoto(m): 2:10pm On Nov 08, 2010
everyone here spoke well.but one thing you need to know to have confidence on stage isyou need to . take a deep breath in for at least 2-3 sec and breath out.reason is to calm your heart beat. you may not be conscious of your heart beats.its fasterlike conga ''gbim gbim'" when you face crowd(stage fright).
it happens to me ealier and this is what i have been doing and it is very helpful. do it 2 or three time b4 you talk. it may help you too . and also note, rehearse and prepare what you wanted to say.hope i make a point to help you
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by irawo(f): 2:27pm On Nov 08, 2010
Certainly true.Rehearse what you have to say very well. You can stand in front of a mirror to rehearse so you'll know if you are passing across the message with the right facial expressions,gesticulations and body language.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by newintexas: 3:36pm On Nov 08, 2010
I can totally relate with this person's fears. I had to give a course presentation a few weeks ago. i was a total wreck. i have never been so nervous in my life. i got a grade i was not happy with. apart from my nerves, i did not practice at all, which i take total responsibility for. couple with the fact that i was so concious of my accent which was really unnecessary as everyone has an accent whether American, Iindian or Jamaican. it was just in my head and i could not over come it. I am working on it though.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by AkinEgba: 3:42pm On Nov 08, 2010
What is shutter? Did you mean stutter?
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by maclatunji: 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2010
Many people have talked about confidence without detailing how to get it. Is it available in a handy-pack or does one have to go find it? I say confidence comes from having knowledge about what you are talking about which gives you authority to confront anybody with it.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by Chubhie: 4:12pm On Nov 08, 2010
A bottle of stout will do the trick!
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by Chubhie: 4:12pm On Nov 08, 2010
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by lordvamon(m): 4:14pm On Nov 08, 2010
[flash=200,200]http://grin[/img][/flash]
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by maclatunji: 4:36pm On Nov 08, 2010
Chubhie:

I knew that someone would say something like this. Dutch courage will not help anybody. You need to have a clear head!
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by Emade(m): 4:47pm On Nov 08, 2010
tell her to always be herself.do not try to impress anybody.and alway belive in ur self.GOD HELP US.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by iice(f): 5:15pm On Nov 08, 2010
She should crack a joke. Relieves tension, eases nerves.
Even some good speakers get nervous.
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by kcjazz(m): 6:12pm On Nov 08, 2010
Everyone gets nervous to some degree when they are on stage.
Here are a few things
1. Be prepared for the topic and know what to say
2. Calm down and breath before and when you get there
3. Start with a joke or ask every one questions like " How is everyone doing today?" or in a church "Praisssse the Lord" lol, yeah it really helps
4. Don't be too hard on yourself, most people in the audience are actually worst
5. Take classes, join a small group
6. If you make a mistake, kindly apologize or make a joke out of it and move on
Re: Stage Fright: How To Overcome by happyboy(m): 7:18pm On Nov 08, 2010
Honestly, i've got the same problem too,  and mmmm still battling with, now i think the only way is 'Dutch Courage
lord vamon:

[flash=200,200]http://grin[/img][/flash]
' it works,  but it depends on what you are doing on stage. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ladies Come Over Here For I Am The Most Handsome. / Clear Therapy Lotion CT+ / Breaking News; Lagos Plane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.