Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,626 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In (3479 Views)

How Is This Car ACURA TL, Users Please Tell Me Your Own Experiences / Lexus Users Please Help / Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by kenny2gbaski(m): 1:01pm On Oct 14, 2019
I have been driving my Nissan primera 98, 1.6L engine with Manual Tranny for close to 3 years and i wish to upgrade.

I don't earn much so please dont laugh at me if at this particular era, my upgrade is to a 2001 Camry. I believe it's better to go for what i can afford and maintain instead of trying to live in pretence, make i no do pass myself.

My current car has served me prefectly and has never dissapointed me for a single day, except of course for the AC system which i eventually abandoned after spending so much and it eventually fails again. Since it's a small engine anyway, i left AC alone, to be used when i get a better car.

Camry droplight/fishlight seems to be my closest option right now as well as it's reliability according what i have seen/heard around especially on Nairaland. But i have few questions from owners and experienced personnels in the house.

1. I haven't seen much people talk about it's AC, how reliable is it. I also heard the evaporator can't be removed except the dashboards is totally removed.
The reasons i asked this is because i have spent so much money and time repairing an AC and i have vowed never to buy a ride with a known/problematic or weak AC system ever. This time, i must get a car with a reliable AC system.
Kindly tell me if Camry 2.2 droplight/fishlight AC is reliable

2. On the issue of back absorber getting bad quickly on this particular model, what can one do to solve this.
I have seen people raising their back absorbers i guess to make it last longer which looks awkward, can't there be another way round for it's lasting solution other than this?

3. Security.
The reason i have always avoided this particular model was the theft back then, but someone told me it is almost non existent anymore and besides, the latter model (2001) has a transponder. How true is this?
I have seen someone who drives the 2001 model with an ordinary steel key which actually means there is no transponder chip on the key which absolutely leaves the car with no security whatsoever. Is this the way all camry 2001 is?

For additional security
How do you secure this car from theft?
I have seen people with electronic securities as well as the manual/metal lock that locks the brake with a key
Which security is better and how do i go about getting one?

Am so sorry if i might have not put my words rightly as i should, i am only a novice o.
My 3 year car owning experience has been very good, absolutely no complain. So i will want my next ride to be the same.
I will really appreciate all the helps i can get.
Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by kenny2gbaski(m): 6:53am On Oct 15, 2019
Please help a brother sad
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by duality(m): 8:44pm On Oct 15, 2019
Following closely....

I'd like to get answers from the chairmen Dem.

I saw one 2001 camry one day and I wonder where that car has been... The thing too clean that I wonder how we could still have an18 year old car, that neat.

If I see that type again and I have the money, I'll buy it.

It was like brand new.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by Waspy(m): 8:52pm On Oct 15, 2019
What is your estimated cost of the drop light?

Do you plan on getting a good grade tokunbo or a naija used?

Are you planning to sell your Primera to make the upgrade?

Have you considered any other alternatives... 2000/2001 Corolla, 2003 Corrolla, Big Daddy Camry etc?
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by oseiwe(m): 7:43pm On Oct 16, 2019
If you can, buy "big daddy" Camry.
2001 Camry, my first car experience, smooth like aje butter, wasn't over flogged, no mech or elect problems, only tyres were changed, absorber didn't fail, raised it a little though. The only problem is waking up to an empty compound, robbers might have switched to 03/07 corolla.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by thaqib(m): 12:02am On Oct 18, 2019
Its a trusted companion. No regrets , I owe one. As for the AC, it can be extremely chilling. Yes I have changed the evaporator once in 6 year and it s still exceptionally cold. Parts are cheap and CSR is very very reliable. If I must mention a drawback, its d suspension leakage system and d fact thst it uns on a timing belt which can snap anytime...

1 Like

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by kenny2gbaski(m): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2019
oseiwe:
If you can, buy "big daddy" Camry.
2001 Camry, my first car experience, smooth like aje butter, wasn't over flogged, no mech or elect problems, only tyres were changed, absorber didn't fail, raised it a little though. The only problem is waking up to an empty compound, robbers might have switched to 03/07 corolla.

Jeez. Am so sorry for your loss bro. I thought they say the 2001 model has a transponder chip in the key na, still easily stolen?
What kind of security will be safe then apart from those umbrella looking steering lock.
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by kenny2gbaski(m): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2019
Waspy:
What is your estimated cost of the drop light?

Do you plan on getting a good grade tokunbo or a naija used?

Are you planning to sell your Primera to make the upgrade?

Have you considered any other alternatives... 2000/2001 Corolla, 2003 Corrolla, Big Daddy Camry etc?

I intend getting a Clean and sound Naija used as my budget is around 700/750

Yes i do plan on selling the primera.

Am not really a fan of 2001 corolla, maybe due to its oveprice, i would have considered it anyway but driving it once and i still enjoyed the primera, wouldnt consider it as an upgrade for me.
Big Daddy is way out of my budget, and the comments i v got from users isn't that encouraging as much as what i wanted in a day to day vehicle.

2003 corolla would have been my first choice, but again, way out of my budget sad

1 Like

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by kenny2gbaski(m): 1:57pm On Oct 18, 2019
thaqib:
Its a trusted companion. No regrets , I owe one. As for the AC, it can be extremely chilling. Yes I have changed the evaporator once in 6 year and it s still exceptionally cold. Parts are cheap and CSR is very very reliable. If I must mention a drawback, its d suspension leakage system and d fact thst it uns on a timing belt which can snap anytime...

Oh Good. I am relieved concerning the AC ish.
If i may ask. Was the whole dashboard taken off when the Evaporator was replaced?

Yes, the suspension leakage, one major drawback that i got me wondering why.
I did asked some mechanic, some said i might have to use Peugeot 504 or a Camry 03 suspension so it can last longer. I am just trying to avoid the ridiculous look of raising the car.

I forgot to mention the primera usually make this annoying squeeky sound from the upper arm anytime the bushings are worn (Sounds like a rusted door inches, very loud). Not a problem for some but this annoys my ears and it comes again after changing/repairing and using it for a while
I hope this is not an issue in the camry
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by kenny2gbaski(m): 1:59pm On Oct 18, 2019
Thanks for all the contributions. Am so grateful.

More contributions will be appreciated as well.
Thanks muuch in anticipation
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 20, 2019
I'm also interested in this topic oooh....gurus should come comment pls..... I'm even a first time user and would prefer toks not naija use.
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by duality(m): 9:31pm On Oct 20, 2019
ejibaba:
I'm also interested in this topic oooh....gurus should come comment pls..... I'm even a first time user and would prefer toks not naija use.

Nice one... My concern is that one can get other latest brands of rides at the cost of 2001 camry Toks.
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 21, 2019
duality:

Nice one... My concern is that one can get other latest brands of rides at the cost of 2001 camry Toks.

Latest such as??
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by duality(m): 8:18pm On Oct 21, 2019
ejibaba:

Latest such as??
Mitsubishi and Even Nissan cars
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by temmym4(m): 9:08am On Oct 22, 2019
duality:

True, but according to the OP, he wants something as reliable as what he currently owns

Cars prices could be the same but reliability will definitely differ.

If we are suggesting another brand for the OP, i believe we should put reliability first, not forgetting his budget.

It is not about using the latest car, it is about what you can afford (Purchasing, maintenance and reliability)

1 Like

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by temmym4(m): 9:15am On Oct 22, 2019
duality:

Mitsubishi and Even Nissan cars

This way, I can as well suggest Honda and even Kia cars for him, so will other users suggest Benz, BMW and the likes, but we ar not helping the OP are we?

Which model do u know and can vouch for, According to what the OP wants, considering his budget and what he wants in a vehicle.

Am somewhat in the OP's shoes as well. I am here to learn and probably make a decision.

Contributions from Nairalanders will be helpful.

1 Like

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by duality(m): 7:33am On Oct 23, 2019
temmym4:

This way, I can as well suggest Honda and even Kia cars for him, so will other users suggest Benz, BMW and the likes, but we ar not helping the OP are we?

Which model do u know and can vouch for, According to what the OP wants, considering his budget and what he wants in a vehicle.

Am somewhat in the OP's shoes as well. I am here to learn and probably make a decision.

Contributions from Nairalanders will be helpful.

Are you saying only Toyota cars are reliable?

You'd agree with me there are more recent models of the brands I mentioned with full options and same price as the 2001 camry
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by temmym4(m): 10:25am On Oct 23, 2019
duality:

Are you saying only Toyota cars are reliable?

You'd agree with me there are more recent models of the brands I mentioned with full options and same price as the 2001 camry

Dude read my post again and understand please

Don't just say "BUY NISSAN, BUY HONDA, BUY MITSUBISHI"

There are so many car models of different years from different makers, if you are giving us advices, mention a model/models that we can get which will be in range of what the OP wants in terms of budget and reliability so we will look into it and consider instead of the camry 01 that the OP mentioned. Am here to learn and make decisions too since am one way or the other in the OP's shoes.

Do you understand me now sir?
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by thaqib(m): 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2019
Bro, if u have money, do a good search and buy the Camry 01. Yes the dashboard was said to have been removed when changing d evaporator.i wasn't there. But I don't remember that. In expert hand, u won't even know.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by xperiencelove(m): 8:46pm On Oct 23, 2021
kenny2gbaski:

Jeez. Am so sorry for your loss bro. I thought they say the 2001 model has a transponder chip in the key na, still easily stolen?
What kind of security will be safe then apart from those umbrella looking steering lock.
He didn't loose anything bro. What he meant was the interior of the car is too big for him.
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by xperiencelove(m): 8:48pm On Oct 23, 2021
kenny2gbaski:

He didn't loose anything bro. What he meant was the interior of the car is too big for him.
Anyways, I used one Camry pencil, 2 drop light. I can confirm to you that the car is too good but make sure you are buying a good one with follow come timing belt.
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by diportivo: 8:58pm On Oct 23, 2021
xperiencelove:

Anyways, I used one Camry pencil, 2 drop light. I can confirm to you that the car is too good but make sure you are buying a good one with follow come timing belt.

does he want to buy?
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by sandysaint: 4:00pm On Oct 24, 2021
kenny2gbaski:
I have been driving my Nissan primera 98, 1.6L engine with Manual Tranny for close to 3 years and i wish to upgrade.

I don't earn much so please dont laugh at me if at this particular era, my upgrade is to a 2001 Camry. I believe it's better to go for what i can afford and maintain instead of trying to live in pretence, make i no do pass myself.

My current car has served me prefectly and has never dissapointed me for a single day, except of course for the AC system which i eventually abandoned after spending so much and it eventually fails again. Since it's a small engine anyway, i left AC alone, to be used when i get a better car.

Camry droplight/fishlight seems to be my closest option right now as well as it's reliability according what i have seen/heard around especially on Nairaland. But i have few questions from owners and experienced personnels in the house.

1. I haven't seen much people talk about it's AC, how reliable is it. I also heard the evaporator can't be removed except the dashboards is totally removed.
The reasons i asked this is because i have spent so much money and time repairing an AC and i have vowed never to buy a ride with a known/problematic or weak AC system ever. This time, i must get a car with a reliable AC system.
Kindly tell me if Camry 2.2 droplight/fishlight AC is reliable

2. On the issue of back absorber getting bad quickly on this particular model, what can one do to solve this.
I have seen people raising their back absorbers i guess to make it last longer which looks awkward, can't there be another way round for it's lasting solution other than this?

3. Security.
The reason i have always avoided this particular model was the theft back then, but someone told me it is almost non existent anymore and besides, the latter model (2001) has a transponder. How true is this?
I have seen someone who drives the 2001 model with an ordinary steel key which actually means there is no transponder chip on the key which absolutely leaves the car with no security whatsoever. Is this the way all camry 2001 is?

For additional security
How do you secure this car from theft?
I have seen people with electronic securities as well as the manual/metal lock that locks the brake with a key
Which security is better and how do i go about getting one?

Am so sorry if i might have not put my words rightly as i should, i am only a novice o.
My 3 year car owning experience has been very good, absolutely no complain. So i will want my next ride to be the same.
I will really appreciate all the helps i can get.
Thanks in anticipation.

Looking at the date you posted this, I realize you may had gotten the Camry '01 or may have even upgraded by now.

Your core concerns were about the a/c and reliability.

From my experience, the ac is chilling for you the driver and the passenger riding shotgun.

However those at the back seats complain it isn't cold and would want to wind down.

It's a great car compared to other cars in it's price range.

I bought mine as a Naija used vehicle that was parked for months because the owner had other cars but was reassured by a trusted friend (mechanic) after he did due checks.

Do your routine servicing and you'll be fine.

Cons:

1. I've had to change the "engine" of the driver side glass that was poorly done. I now oil the window routinely so it doesn't make a squeaky sound while winding up.

2. I changed alternator 2 months ago. It just died for no reason.

3. Been going on 4 -5 hour journeys but recently when I did a longer distance journey, my muffler melted. Had to change that.

4. The key refused to turn once. Shaked the steering wheel, it still didn't budge. Someone had to come open down to the fibre. Taken to mechanic village and fixed so it wouldn't happen again.

5. You may need to change your plugs every 2 months. Though after changing my cables, the plugs no longer get weak easily.

Summary: the car is reliable. It's not totally free of issues. It may give you some issues now and then but comparatively, if you know what your colleagues using other brands or same Toyota Camry of later generations, it's relatively cheap to maintain in good condition.

1 Like

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by diportivo: 5:47pm On Oct 24, 2021
sandysaint:

Looking at the date you posted this, I realize you may had gotten the Camry '01 or may have even upgraded by now.

Your core concerns were about the a/c and reliability.

From my experience, the ac is chilling for you the driver and the passenger riding shotgun.

However those at the back seats complain it isn't cold and would want to wind down.

It's a great car compared to other cars in it's price range.

I bought mine as a Naija used vehicle that was parked for months because the owner had other cars but was reassured by a trusted friend (mechanic) after he did due checks.

Do your routine servicing and you'll be fine.

Cons:

1. I've had to change the "engine" of the driver side glass that was poorly done. I now oil the window routinely so it doesn't make a squeaky sound while winding up.

2. I changed alternator 2 months ago. It just died for no reason.

3. Been going on 4 -5 hour journeys but recently when I did a longer distance journey, my muffler melted. Had to change that.

4. The key refused to turn once. Shaked the steering wheel, it still didn't budge. Someone had to come open down to the fibre. Taken to mechanic village and fixed so it wouldn't happen again.

5. You may need to change your plugs every 2 months. Though after changing my cables, the plugs no longer get weak easily.

Summary: the car is reliable. It's not totally free of issues. It may give you some issues now and then but comparatively, if you know what your colleagues using other brands or same Toyota Camry of later generations, it's relatively cheap to maintain in good condition.

na 2019 post hna siddon chook analysis put like dis?

if that guys still wants to buy this car after 2 years e mean say problem dey be dat grin
Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by sandysaint: 8:11pm On Oct 24, 2021
diportivo:

na 2019 post hna siddon chook analysis put like dis?

if that guys still wants to buy this car after 2 years e mean say problem dey be dat grin

smiley

People still want to buy their first cars and posts like this help. I remember doing research on nairaland before getting mine.

So someone is going to benefit from this one day.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In by nams77: 10:53pm On Oct 21, 2023
sandysaint:

smiley

People still want to buy their first cars and posts like this help. I remember doing research on nairaland before getting mine.

So someone is going to benefit from this one day.
You are right. Currently reading through

(1) (Reply)

You Want To Sell Your Car Within 3hrs, I Can Help You Get That Done. / I Urgently Need A Honda Specialist Electrical Mechanic / 2011 Toyota Camry XLE 4cylinder Or V6?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.